As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Has anyone had trouble with the tutorial for:
    Using the 'compounding' ability for salve-maker?
    I do just what the tutorial says but it doesn't complete for some reason.
    It's not asking you to use the ability, it's asking you to view the compounding list in the journal.

*forehead slap*
    ah ha! So obvious =p. Thanks !

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Kinda wish they had just named the class alchemist or chemist like in most other Final Fantasies. Makes more sense in terms of the asterisk owner's actions as well.
    I kind of doubt he poisoned everyone on the battlefield via a salve.

Yeah I hate the class name. It's Alchemist in my mind :P

BTW, just started chapter 4 and holy crap regular monsters are suddenly kicking my ass. WTF? Just had some wolves paralyze my entire party and murder them.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Kinda wish they had just named the class alchemist or chemist like in most other Final Fantasies. Makes more sense in terms of the asterisk owner's actions as well.
    I kind of doubt he poisoned everyone on the battlefield via a salve.

Yeah I hate the class name. It's Alchemist in my mind :P

BTW, just started chapter 4 and holy crap regular monsters are suddenly kicking my ass. WTF? Just had some wolves paralyze my entire party and murder them.

it gets worse. oh god it gets worse

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Dalantia wrote: »
    It only gets worse from here...

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    For Dagger specials, I guess using Weapons with an on use effect like Thief Knife or Blessed Shield don't count? Do you actually have to use a consumable? Do the consumables the Merchant class uses count?

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    *forehead slap.*
    The entire Lee family is puns.

Edea Lee = Ideally
    Braev Lee = Bravely
    Mahzer Lee = Motherly

I didn't realize Edea also hit a pun until just now.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    *forehead slap.*

Edea Lee = Ideally
    Braev Lee = Bravely
    Mahzer Lee = Motherly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81R2qZ9VNz4

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    *forehead slap.*

Edea Lee = Ideally
    Braev Lee = Bravely
    Mahzer Lee = Motherly

Too bad her mother's name wasn't Dee Falt or something.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    BTW, is there a benefit to mastering jobs other than learning all the skills?

It looks like the freelancer class gets a bonus to it's stats for every mastered class.
    I'd imagine if one had the patience to master 20 some odd classes, the stat bonuses would be impressive.

Well fully maxed out it gives you 106% to all stats, which is better than any other job though some have better individual stat's. Unfortunately the innate ability's still stink though.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    *forehead slap.*

Edea Lee = Ideally
    Braev Lee = Bravely
    Mahzer Lee = Motherly

Too bad her mother's name wasn't Dee Falt or something.
    Her mother's maiden name was Focker.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    WydrionWydrion Registered User regular
    Concerning Dragons:

If I don't fight them by the end of Chapter 4, do they get stronger if I go back to them in later chapters?

I'm just figuring out if I should grind out a few more levels and beat them now or come back way later.

• Options
    StarZapper wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    BTW, is there a benefit to mastering jobs other than learning all the skills?

It looks like the freelancer class gets a bonus to it's stats for every mastered class.
    I'd imagine if one had the patience to master 20 some odd classes, the stat bonuses would be impressive.

Well fully maxed out it gives you 106% to all stats, which is better than any other job though some have better individual stat's. Unfortunately the innate ability's still stink though.

Uh, it's base is 100%, so it should come out to 124% modifiers with all classes maxed. Decent all around, no specialty. That said, stats cap at 99, and there are +20 accessories, so eventually you're looking at very minor losses for shoring up everything else (though honestly, it's mainly vit, mnd, and spd you care about shoring up)

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You can WALK AROUND ON THE AIRSHIP????

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You can WALK AROUND ON THE AIRSHIP????

And buy level 6 magic from it!

• Options
    Man I am glad my wife told me that

I never would have figured that out

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I guess I tried out a combo so cheesy even the game itself goes "I don't think so, Tim" and will potentially crash.
    -Somebody with Hasten World, just to get things set up faster
    -Dark Knight with BP limit Up, BP Recovery, and drain Sword Magic

The theory: Dark Knight saves up to 4 BP, then Brave's 4 times to cast
    -Rage (5 Dark Bane attacks)
    -Rage (5 more Dark Bane attacks)
    -Life or Death (the Doom status will trigger BP Recovery)
    -Rage (5 more Dark Bane attacks)

If you're at top battle speed, the game crashes at Life or Death. It happened to me at that point on two different bosses. At normal speed it doesn't crash, but sadly the 3rd Rage fails due to lack of BP, even though you should have enough. I guess either the bonus BP won't trigger in the middle of a combo like that, or since the 3rd Rage is highlighted red in the menu, it just always fails and won't make the BP requirement check.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Eh, it's easier to just use a blood sword or sword magic + drain and then Rage a mere *2* times, while healing to full with each attack.

• Options
    As a guy who hasn't maxed out anything

What does Rage do exactly

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Eh, it's easier to just use a blood sword or sword magic + drain and then Rage a mere *2* times, while healing to full with each attack.

Yes, that's what he was doing. Then he was using shenanigans to squeeze a third rage in.

• Options
    After grinding a fair bit early on and the game being mostly a cakewalk, going through the
    cave leading to the fire temple
    was quite a gauntlet and a hell of a change of pace.

• Options
    I adore See You in Hell. Right now I have it set up so that Agnes is a super tanky Spiritmaster/White Mage, and everyone else are set up to be mostly glass canons with See You in Hell. It made the Water Crystal boss hilarious.

Also, because "See You in Hell" perfectly encapsulates how you feel when that ability triggers :P.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Too bad the various "smash stuff on death" passives don't work with Reraise set.

Otherwise there'd be some real fun in stacking them all up... though I suppose a super-tanky salvemaker with Ressurect and 3 suicide somethings could be interesting.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Beat it.
    Ending impressions
    Very bittersweet. Poor Tiz. He definitely was not anywhere good. Im guessing Bravely second is gonna have a WW2 theme.

The bonus movie you unlock uses the gyroscope which is annoying.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    As a guy who hasn't maxed out anything

What does Rage do exactly

Dark Knight's have an ability called Dark Bane, 1.25x dark damage to one target in exchange for 20% health.

Rage casts that either 5 times in a row, or until the DK hits 1 HP, whichever comes first. And with drain sword magic on, it doesn't cost health, so...

The Wolfman on
  • Options
    That is

A reason to make a Dark Knight into a Two-Handed fighter

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Hmm... Drain+Phoenix Flight+Lots of HP+Sword Magic Amp=Win?

• Options
    For being sort of cutesy with the art, this game is surprisingly dark at times. Plot-wise, I mean.

Btw, I've never used dual wielding, how does that work exactly? If I have a 1 handed weapon that is 100, then I decide to dual wield and my right hand is 51dmg, and my left hand is 50dmg, is that technically more powerful? I guess you have to factor in the potentials for missing attacks too?

• Options
    So, Phantom Weapon

Does that mean that the enchantment you put on your sword is determined by the strength of your sword? Like, if I have Phantom Weapon and then put Meteor on my Night Emperor, that would be stronger than doing the same without Phantom Weapon?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    For being sort of cutesy with the art, this game is surprisingly dark at times. Plot-wise, I mean.

Btw, I've never used dual wielding, how does that work exactly? If I have a 1 handed weapon that is 100, then I decide to dual wield and my right hand is 51dmg, and my left hand is 50dmg, is that technically more powerful? I guess you have to factor in the potentials for missing attacks too?

When in doubt, I just optimize :P.

• Options
    So, Phantom Weapon

Does that mean that the enchantment you put on your sword is determined by the strength of your sword? Like, if I have Phantom Weapon and then put Meteor on my Night Emperor, that would be stronger than doing the same without Phantom Weapon?

Been wondering this myself, since that would seem to amp the weapon greatly if so.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    So, does magic ever get good? I have Agnes as a Blm with as much into int as possible and the +matk from time mage and 15 mana blizzara against stuff weak to it still does less damage than boring attacks from everyone else midway through chapter 3. Been like this most of the game so far, and i'm just wondering if i'm totally missing something.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    So, does magic ever get good? I have Agnes as a Blm with as much into int as possible and the +matk from time mage and 15 mana blizzara against stuff weak to it still does less damage than boring attacks from everyone else midway through chapter 3. Been like this most of the game so far, and i'm just wondering if i'm totally missing something.

Not really. Support magic gets good, but attack magic is always just kinda there.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

If you dual wield without the right skill your off hand is 50% weaker.
    I dont think its displayed in base stats.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Attack magic, on an attack magic class, is Hell on wheels for wiping out weak groups of enemies.

For bosses? Attack magic is there for a Spell Fencer to put onto a sword and go to town with.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Why waste MP on random encounters when you can just use Crescent Moon to even greater effect?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Why waste MP on random encounters when you can just use Crescent Moon to even greater effect?

You mean Energy Burst.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    *forehead slap.*

Edea Lee = Ideally
    Braev Lee = Bravely
    Mahzer Lee = Motherly

They're all puns! It's puns all the way down!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »

You mean Energy Burst.
    Eventually, sure. But you can't get Energy Burst until Chapter 5 at the earliest. You need something before that!

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    vampire/summon has infinite mana to kill packs with. working great for me

• Options
    I need to decide what to carry over to my NG+... I'm thinking everything except Levels and Job Levels, to give me some sort of incentive to go forward.

camo_sig2.png

This discussion has been closed.