As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] Thread Tags: Classy, Game-Gluttonous, Less Monstrous Than Steam Community At Large

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What happened to our empress of jive turkeys?

So many turkeys jiving about without a firm hand to guide them.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Emerged from the cocoon as @Pixelated Pixie

Which is frankly a relief, because I can remember that.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    State of Decay is FFVI turned into a survival game. I'm convinced there's a mimic in the belly of the beast, I just have to find him.

I need this explained to me in detail. Because I have serious kinemortophobia, but I fucking love FFVI.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    State of Decay is FFVI turned into a survival game. I'm convinced there's a mimic in the belly of the beast, I just have to find him.

I need this explained to me in detail. Because I have serious kinemortophobia, but I fucking love FFVI.

Wait, is that actually a real term, or made up?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm not a baller like @heenato, but I can spread a little love around

signature.png

Ends on the 19th at night. I wanted to end it before it released, but I'd rather give people some time to enter.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So I think I definitely want to recommend Probably Archery to everyone. The short version is that the game is basically QWOP or Surgeon Simulator 2013 except with archery. The longer version is my my objective review of the game plus this video I recorded of myself playing one of the game modes, which sums up the game pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCAR6vOn_k

The game is 25% off right now so it's a good time to grab it. Let me know if you ever want to play multiplayer too - right now nobody is really playing so it would be nice to get some multiplayer matches played to augment my single player shenanigans.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »

Real enough to be in urban dictionary ...

Personally I really wish that this whole zombie trend in games would just die already, hopefully Rust removing them is the first step, I never even finished The Last of Us because I can't stand zombie games*.

*unless said game is Saints Row the Third, in which my hate of zombies was counteracted by my love of beating them up with a dildo bat and also a
    Burt Reynolds cameo!!!

LostNinja on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

So, like FFVI, you start off with a small crew trying to get by. Then you get a base and get access to more people. Once you have those people, you can set out with whoever you want, switching to that character, their skills and their inventory. Progressing through the game unlocks more characters to tool around with. Do well enough in the game and you can convince more character to sojourn out with you into the battle for survival.

That's where the comparisons end, after that is a decent open world game with a B level crafting system. But its damn fun....aside from that one time feature.

Also, don't go near the big guys when you're low on health, they will take advantage of that.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

So, like FFVI, you start off with a small crew trying to get by. Then you get a base and get access to more people. Once you have those people, you can set out with whoever you want, switching to that character, their skills and their inventory. Progressing through the game unlocks more characters to tool around with. Do well enough in the game and you can convince more character to sojourn out with you into the battle for survival.

That's where the comparisons end, after that is a decent open world game with a B level crafting system. But its damn fun....aside from that one time feature.

Also, don't go near the big guys when you're low on health, they will take advantage of that.

Step 1. Cast Vanish
    Step 2. Cast Doom
    Step 3. trolololo.gif

Polaritie wrote: »

Well, technically all terms are made up (particularly when there is a need for them) but that term for the fear of the moving dead is used in multiple places, sadly excluding Wikipedia (whose phobia list is devoid of a fear of the walking dead). It is far more appropriate than necrophobia, because while the dead might creep me out, I don't have pants-wetting, night-terror-producing, cry-like-a-3-year-old reactions to the dead. So kinemortophobia it is. Especially since my original search for the term months ago was the top Google result on a search of "Fear of Zombies". ;)

Ahh. Well, it's more the story I found gripping than the party mechanics, but good to know in any respect. :D

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Can anyone comment if it's anything like Midwinter? I don't know anything about most FF games, but that's the vibe I get from the description.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Holy shit, why did nobody tell me Ikaruga was coming to Steam?

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Holy shit, why did nobody tell me Ikaruga was coming to Steam?

It's been talked about.
    Play some rRootage while you wait. :D

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I must be strange, but despite my love of shooters I've always disliked Ikaruga. It's like all the bad bits in a Touhou game magnified with none of the good bits. Give me Kamui or ESP.ra.de any day :P.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    DaxterMax wrote: »
    @tuxkamen wins this. I've sent it onto you through Steam. Enjoy.
    signature.png

signature.png

Holy robodogs, Batman! Thank you!

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I was a fool to hold off The Witcher 2 for so long. A fool.

steam_sig.png
    Orogogus wrote: »

Can anyone comment if it's anything like Midwinter? I don't know anything about most FF games, but that's the vibe I get from the description.

What's midwinter?

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    What's midwinter?

Kind of chilly but still topping 75 F when it feels like it with the occasional freeze that lasts all of two hours. Basically it's shorts and t-shirt weather for the beach, late winter though is wetsuit territory and I hear it's coming.

steam_sig.png

What's midwinter?

This, I'm guessing.

Scratchy wrote: »
    What's midwinter?

Kind of chilly but still topping 75 F when it feels like it with the occasional freeze that lasts all of two hours. Basically it's shorts and t-shirt weather for the beach, late winter though is wetsuit territory and I hear it's coming.

Hereabouts things are a bit... different.
    article-2271985-174779CB000005DC-224_634x428.jpg

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Saints row the third... two missions into it.. WTF?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I don't know much about midwinter short of my smartass answer and the wiki but state of decay doesn't seem that similar to it. State of decay you are not restricted to the amount of time you can play a character but you do get penalties if they are injured or you've played them for a while. Folks you control can die and occasionally npc's that can become pc's die on their own or due to your negligence if you lead them into a horde. (been a long time since I've played so don't quote me on this because a lot has changed.)

Occasionally you would also run out of food and everyone just dies due to incompetence when perfectly good human meat was just left next to them.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png

What's midwinter?

This, I'm guessing.

This sounds incredible.

After saints row the third, play some Kentucky route zero, um interesting. I don't know. I must be in zen game states.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    IsThereAnyDeal alerted me to the fact that Gamestop was selling FF8 for $6, the lowest I was likely to see before a Steam sale.

I double-checked the page to ensure it was a Steam key and yep it all checked out. Then I get an email with order confirmation, which should have held the key I purchased. Instead it held a download link for Gamestop's app and told me I needed to download it, log in through it, then go to a tab and request the key I'd purchased already. After I'd done so, with no small amount of griping, and it was safely in my Steam library I went about uninstalling this magnificent pile of app. Except Gamestop doesn't include a handy-dandy "uninstall" feature so I had to go in through my PC's Control Panel and uninstall it that way. Luckily there wasn't any kind of last-minute "I'll not go quietly into that dark night" from the app and it seems to be gone now.

That is the last time I will ever purchase a Steam key from Gamestop.

I'm glad you got the game. but bro....

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Taramoor's Weekly Giftaway, Week 35

signature.png

Anybody that doesn't have Tomb Raider yet? High on my list of the best games on Steam.

Taramoor on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Man, Skype is so awesome. It tells you when other people have birthdays!

wX53nuQ.jpg

Its so useful, right @Spoit ?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Taramoor's Weekly Giftaway, Week 35

signature.png

Anybody that doesn't have Tomb Raider yet? High on my list of the best games on Steam.

Good thing I went for this instead of Tomb Raider then!
    signature.png

Other ONE WEEK FROM @CORRIGANX's Birthday contests:
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

And others which I am not sure if I gave away or not:
    2aim.jpg3-438ZP-WRI36

4VBCQ-XZ30T-SLIME_-_DW1%2C2%2C3%2C4_-_NES.pngGFI

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Also, thanks @big classy for MGS revengance rising nanomachine titles

steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Thanks, @Spoit, for..."Final Exam"? I just had to know if my guess was correct for that Steam code.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Man, Rome II has really improved since earlier, but there's still some really lacking things.

I'm defensive allies with Sparta. Sparta's at war with this smaller guy. Smaller guy basically goes and says to me "pay me some money and I'll become a client state. Part of your empire, pay you an annual fee, it'll be great." I go "sure!"

Sparta's still at war with them. And there's no option for me in diplomacy to go and tell Sparta "hey, knock it off." Other than, I suppose, declaring war and requiring it as a peace term, but STILL.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've noticed while checking out Steamgifts after forgetting it existed for a while that there are a few indie devs using it to try and promote their games and/or fishing for greenlight votes.

This really interests me. I've never been an indie game developer, but it seems like traditional low cost advertising for your upcoming or newly released PC game is having a website, and then promoting your game through webforums and maybe youtube, with traditional web advertising (like buying adspace on GameFaqs or IGN or something) of any seriousness being far out of your league economically.

But here we have Steamgifts, where a giveaway can have thousands upon thousands of entries if the period is long enough or the game is popular enough.

So let's say I'm an indie game developer (SmokeSoft? SoftStacks? We'll run a few possibilities and see which ones resonate best with our targeted focus testing) I could buy a new highly anticipated Steam release that is at a budget price point (say, the upcoming Resident Evil 4 re-release), and instead of paying out the ass for adspace on gaming websites or trying to hustle for interest on webforums (most forums do not have a dedicated indie game forum like we do, and do not tolerate shilling) I could instead do a Steamgifts giveaway promoting my game. So now for the cost of $20 I've gotten 5-10,000 people to look at my game promo. I don't know how much web advertising costs in comparison (and comparing the two would be difficult since my understanding is that a lot of web advertising is paid by clickthrough, not just by view), but still, that seems to be a pretty good return on your investment to me.

I don't know how many people that use Steamgifts just click on the enter giveaway button without reading any of the text, but how many of them would pay attention to a web ad?

It seems like Steamgifts could be of great use as an ultra low cost advertising solution for indie devs that is less scummy than sitewhoring on forums, and is immune to browser-based adblocking.

Interesting.
    mzHVyHD.jpg

edited February 2014
    I'm trying to remember who got me to look at their website or greenlight.....Oh, I remember, its the one with Tali's voice actress playing a character in a dystopian future who wakes up after a one night stand with a mysterious orb and a dead body.....now I can't remember the name.
    edit: It was AR-K

edit:Finally beat Bionic Dues, Assassination got a lot easier once I realized how the ninja worked.

RoyceSraphim on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Ninjas are a lot of fun and have all kinds of possible builds. I think my next Bionic Dues run may be a ninja heavy team.

On the final mission, a doom bot came out of a portal and had a double turn buff which he promptly used to down my siege and assult exo. Last 18 guys were killed with no stealth and involved lots of mines and a great deal of whistling.

I'm trying to remember who got me to look at their website or greenlight.....Oh, I remember, its the one with Tali's voice actress playing a character in a dystopian future who wakes up after a one night stand with a mysterious orb and a dead body.....now I can't remember the name.
    edit: It was AR-K

edit:Finally beat Bionic Dues, Assassination got a lot easier once I realized how the ninja worked.

I suppose a pat on the back is in order.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Saints row the third... two missions into it.. WTF?

Don't worry, they ramp it up so much that you'll later wonder how you ever found that WTF-worthy. Especially once you get to SRIV.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Does anyone remember the name of that site that accesses your wishlist and lets you know if a game is on sale somewhere other than steam?

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Someone help me out - I'm stuck at work, and can't remember if that BeMine bundle with Redshirt is still running? (Stupid filters)

This discussion has been closed.