As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    So, I'm about halfway through Chapter 2 and so far Black/White Mage Ringabel usually just Defaults while Monk Edea, Thief Agnes, and Knight Tiz wreck faces.

I'm just afraid I'm going to hit a point where I'll need a competent Mage and not have one, so Ringabel abides.

I ditched my black mage because enemies and especially bosses kept having a high magic defense and damage wasn't really that great, and went full on physical.

One of later Black Mage abilities ignores magic defense on enemies. That's pretty neat, to say the least.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I just got a level 99 nemesis sent to me from a random person called Ba'al; Turtle Dove. I'm definitely not strong enough for it yet but I just wanted to give it a try and see what it looks like.

HOLY SHIT does the fight have an incredibly creepy feel. The whole presentation combines to give a sense of wrong-ness. I dunno maybe that's just me. Freaky stuff.

I set it as the one I'm sending out. If you want to see it and hear the unique music, here it is.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yeah, Square started sending these Ba'al nemeses out I believe in early January or late December when they expected most people to have beat the game (in Europe and Japan). They're obviously really difficult and intended as sort of a post-game thing, but they're also a kind of preview of what's to come in the sequel.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Yeah, Square started sending these Ba'al nemeses out I believe in early January or late December when they expected most people to have beat the game (in Europe and Japan). They're obviously really difficult and intended as sort of a post-game thing, but they're also a kind of preview of what's to come in the sequel.

Yessssss. Sequel.

I mean, I haven't finished the main game yet, but I want more of this game in me. It perfectly captures what I loved about the earlier Final Fantasy games.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok question...how did your Summons break the damage limit? I'm capping out at 9999 on my specials...is there an ability later on that allows this?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    bravely second lets you break it

now though for mages one of the things it feels like they don't have in their favor is how many classes you need to really optimize them, when you can just go valkryie/spell fencer and be done with it for the most part.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I just got a level 99 nemesis sent to me from a random person called Ba'al; Turtle Dove. I'm definitely not strong enough for it yet but I just wanted to give it a try and see what it looks like.

HOLY SHIT does the fight have an incredibly creepy feel. The whole presentation combines to give a sense of wrong-ness. I dunno maybe that's just me. Freaky stuff.

I set it as the one I'm sending out. If you want to see it and hear the unique music, here it is.

That shit is Madoka as fuck.

• Options
    Oh Bravely Second...right. I'll be honest I haven't used it that much.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »

Yessssss. Sequel.

I mean, I haven't finished the main game yet, but I want more of this game in me. It perfectly captures what I loved about the earlier Final Fantasy games.

The game has apparently done really well in Japan. So well that the creator was talking about making Bravely Default into an annual series, even.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Oh Bravely Second...right. I'll be honest I haven't used it that much.

It seems like the sequel is altering the mechanic so that its a way to use character specific attacks.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/28/bravely-default-fairy-to-hit-300000-in-sales-soon/

that doesn't seem amazingly successful. maybe the era of "we expect this game to sell 5 million units" has warped my perception of good sales

for comparison that's as many units as persona 4 sold in japan

Jars on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/28/bravely-default-fairy-to-hit-300000-in-sales-soon/

that doesn't seem amazingly successful. maybe the era of "we expect this game to sell 5 million units" has warped my perception of good sales

for comparison that's as many units as persona 4 sold in japan

To be fair, that article is over a year old. So, the numbers may be a bit out of date.

• Options
    For a handheld game? Thats pretty good.

Nintendo published this in the west anyway so their metric will be slightly different . Besides the sequels greenlit already

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Are nemesis battles there just for an entertaining fight and some boss level xp / jp?

They can drop stat boosters.

I think some of them have Genome-stuff.

I hope Square will keep sending them on rotation or something, 'cause I might miss some otherwise.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    chapter 5
    fuck how am I supposed to fight without Agnes she's my performer fuck

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    It's all relative. For a completely new IP 300k in Japan is pretty good. Not spectacular, but good.

The sequel is already in the works so now we just have to hope BD did well enough outside Japan that we're getting it as well.

• Options
    All the ones with genomes have frozen on me just as I nab a ko.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    chapter 5
    You posted a bit prematurely!
    Winky wrote: »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica ????

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah i just got past that and then things started happening so i had no time to post

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    chapter 5
    You posted a bit prematurely!
    Winky wrote: »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puella_Magi_Madoka_Magica ????

Yeah, that thing totally reminds me of a witch from Madoka.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So how did that big pharma money loop go again?

Someone to negate the physical hit each turn
    Someone to big pharma every turn
    Someone to deal something short of lethal each turn

Right?

That said, Big Pharma doesn't seem to fully heal... am I doing something wrong?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Another question. How does Shield Strike work exactly? I tried using Dual Shields with it and I was only hitting for 1 damage.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So how did that big pharma money loop go again?

Someone to negate the physical hit each turn
    Someone to big pharma every turn
    Someone to deal something short of lethal each turn

Right?

That said, Big Pharma doesn't seem to fully heal... am I doing something wrong?
    You don't want near lethal. You want something that does less damage than big pharma. I usually use a 1st level spell, after removing all the M.ATK up equipment from my mage. What you want to do is make sure that big pharma outpaces the attack spells.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Shield Strike uses your regular attack damage; it just requires that you be wearing a shield to use it. The nature of the shield is irrelevant.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    my main complaints with mages early on isn't the power, it's that they are slow while physical chars are fast(thief, ranger) and that black magic lv3 takes far too long to unlock. time magic level 3 is a fair bit quicker and gives you comet, which is random but potentially will be the strongest attack you have at that time. summoner hasn't quite come into its own by then since you don't have your fire or lightning summons.

My complaint with Black Mages is that they do no more damage than physical fighters, AND they run out of mana really quickly even on the regular encounter rate in dungeons.

• Options
    Well...that explains a lot.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Is there a list of the genomes I need to acquire in CH4 before I lose access to them for a while?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Does anyone else hear Prof. Layton music when they open stuff from the side menu?

I know I do.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    This is an interesting idea someone on GameFAQs had for lots of damage...might have to give it a try
    1. The General Setup

Pirate with Performer

Hawkeye
    Dual Wield
    Precision

Needs 2 Fox Tails so it has highest Speed

Everyone else

Ninja with Freelancer

Hawkeye
    Precision
    Frantic Fighting

Set your equips to maximize damage, but not faster than the Pirate.

ALL characters need to be in critical/20% health or lower.

2. The Execution

Have your Pirate Brave twice. Uses the attack boost song twice followed by Mass Attack.

Everyone else Brave thrice and use Mimic 4 times.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    my main complaints with mages early on isn't the power, it's that they are slow while physical chars are fast(thief, ranger) and that black magic lv3 takes far too long to unlock. time magic level 3 is a fair bit quicker and gives you comet, which is random but potentially will be the strongest attack you have at that time. summoner hasn't quite come into its own by then since you don't have your fire or lightning summons.

My complaint with Black Mages is that they do no more damage than physical fighters, AND they run out of mana really quickly even on the regular encounter rate in dungeons.

It would have helped if the aspir spell sucked mana nearly as well as its spell fencer cousin.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So, I finally got to the main game. Have three jobs unlocked (well, two plus freelancer), and I'm a bad person as I'm grinding right outside the first town with the 3 party members I have so far.

The scary thing is, I just hit up internet update, and got 3 random people to join as friends, then did an add friends via internet and got 2 more ... somehow. Does it use the Nintendo friend system thing?

I have Red, who has PIercing Bolt and a power of 2678 but nothing I can use via Ablink, and Gong-00, who has Moonshadow and a power of 7497, AND apparently helps my Freelancer on Tiz. And I just typed that sentence and have literally know idea what I just wrote. Someone throw me a bone?

Edit: Looks like I can connect Red to Ringabel to improve his monk abilities? Or something? Ah, so confusing.

My friend code is 1160-9980-5764, not sure if BD uses a different system or not. I added myself to the ol' list, and will start adding people back the second I can. Is there still no other way to do that other than by hand with the 3DS stylus and super-small screen?

Edit 2: And now I have a nemesis. Mammon, level 25. Duration, well, till tomorrow. From SQEX.

Edit 3: And another one. Beelzebub, level 10, 2/7 - 2/10 (So it's already over?) from Sas.

Edit 4: What the hell. Another Mammon.

KiTA on
  • Options
    well that's pretty much it. there are ways to keep mages stocked on mana, but they come from other classes. like to really get the most out of an arcanist you need arcanist, blm, and swordmaster all mastered. they just are not that good before then.

• Options
    What?! There's a Mammon lv 25 in your town?! I needs it for teh money making schemes. Just protect that guy and never let him leave your town.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Debating on how to use the permanent stat increasing buns. Should I raise everyone equally, or boost someone to the heavens? Probably shouldn't focus everything on one person because then they're not only the best physical attacker but also the best mage, and it's tough to try to be multiple roles at once. And then there's speed, which is kind of a crucial thing...some strategies require certain people in the party to move before or after others, or before or after enemies, and it might muck things up if someone is way faster than everyone else. Not sure what to do.

What?! There's a Mammon lv 25 in your town?! I needs it for teh money making schemes. Just protect that guy and never let him leave your town.

There are like 3 Mammons. One you get Ethers, one you get Elixirs that sell for 2500, and one you get Elixirs that sell for 25,000.

My sister has a level 25 Mammon that she keeps sending me that only drops Ethers.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Make Edea a god and everyone else gets to be her support crew.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

But give Agnes the int and mind and MP, maybe?

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Mine is elixirs. It is the one I am sending. And it's the good elixirs, too.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

But give Agnes the int and mind and MP, maybe?
    Sounds like what I would do if I had stat items to hand out.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So these dragons in chapter 4. This is gonna be a thing...But I gotta do it. I can tell what job is coming from this....

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Edea's mother's maiden name:
    By any chance it could be Focker?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.