As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Ugh. Finally got a replacement for the Lumia 925 that died four days after I got it.
    This one? Either it hates charging through outlet power, or the charger they gave me is busted.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I wouldn't rule out bad chargers. For some reason, included charger quality has been kind of crap as of late across multiple companies.

• Options
    I thought it was charging from a different micro usb cable I have floating around while attached to my pc, but it's going really slow.
    Like, nine hours and it's at 53%

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What standard is the USB port it's plugged into? And what stuff is running in the background while your phone is charging?

A USB1.0/1.1 port straight won't charge my girlfriends S4 at a rate faster than glacial unless the phone is turned all the way off. In standby the percentage moves up by one about every hour, but then she has email push and other stuff going on.

• Options
    USB 2.1. Nothing running in the background really.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    2.1? I didn't know they'd released a second spec of 2 before 3.0. I know there were a bunch of ECN mods to the 2.0 spec, but not an actual new spec release.

Anyway, a USB 2.0 port from after December 2010 should be able to pump 1.5 amps into your phone, which should be charging it nicely. Do you have a wall charger? That should be able to push up to 5 amps within the spec - most only go as high as 2 amps though, which is still plenty.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Ok, so I got the new nokia 925. I didn't relize I was doing it, but I put my spam account as the main account. How do I change it?

I reset the phone, but can I mass add my contacts? Or is it back to t-mobile for that? I have right e-mail now. :S

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Ok, so I got the new nokia 925. I didn't relize I was doing it, but I put my spam account as the main account. How do I change it?

I reset the phone, but can I mass add my contacts? Or is it back to t-mobile for that? I have right e-mail now. :S

If your old phone was a win phone and you still have it, you can apparently sync your contacts to your MS account and then just import them straight onto your new phone. I've not done this myself, but I know that it is a thing.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Old one was android. I'm glad to get rid of them actually. I know, some love that system, but honestly, once I got the right account, my skydrive, my onenote, everything I use (MS mostly) is there and works right. I'm very happy with the 925. And the camera is way better than I expected. T-Mobile did a great job on the camera app.

Other pluses, T-Mobile let me uninstall all there bloatware apps. Gone. So far the Here app looks promising. How is the GPS turn by turn? I'm used to google, but I'm impressed with what it looks like out of the box. The saying, hey download maps if need be, put in your commutes, we will give you a quick commute time with a glance. All sounds promising.

So far worst thing, I find something, than forget how I did it. And I have to re-sync with my ford. :P Those are not bad things.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    I can't say that I've really used the navigation stuff, bar the street maps which are excellent. The other integration/syncing is really good though, I agree. I'm only on a 620 though so not quite as flash!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    So far for navigation I'm happy. The Here thing let me set a commute. When I wake up, check phone it says right on live tile how many minutes in. If I look at it it shows yellow about where I will encounter traffic. So far seems pretty good at letting me know.

On contacts though, any experts know how to see what contact is where? I have contacts that are showing in Hotmail, live, live. Some have live account listed 5 times. I only have two e-mails on the phone, so don't know why it is listed them as having 5 places? Can I tell what those places are? "Edit Live" doesn't tell me where it is stored, or how to get rid of it? Ideally I would want one, maybe two places it is stored. I'm ok with contacts at both e-mail address, but don't know how to straighten out now. I all ready cleaned out a lot of junk from when it imported apparently every e-mail address I have ever e-mailed.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I was a little disappointed that WP8 Bing Maps no longer did audio directions by itself, and had to rely on an associate app. But then again, I went back to WP7, so it didn't matter.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    US DOJ has given approval to the Microsoft buyout of Nokia's devices & services divisions. They appear to be on track for an early 2014 completion of the sale.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for a medical info/in case of emergency app? I'm currently using myICE, and it's fairly comprehensive, but there's no vaccination section, and the notes section is a bit small/clunky. Since the app hasn't been updated for a year, I doubt it will be improved. So, any suggestions for a better app would be greatly appreciated.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    OMG held a Nokia 1520 yesterday.

it is huge and beautiful.

Any ideas on its compatibility with charging cradles and the like?

• Options
    It has inbuilt wireless charging, doesn't it?

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I just got a Windows Phone after being with Android for years.

I really love this software. I really hate that it doesn't get more attention.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    I just got a Windows Phone after being with Android for years.

I really love this software. I really hate that it doesn't get more attention.

Currently on an android phone (droid incredible) and I'm just starting to look at windows phones as an option since I am in the market for replacing this one. Primarily I want to lose Verizon for t-mobile. Can anyone sell me on a Nokia Lumia 925 (or 521) vs a comparable droid? As I mentioned I am only just starting out looking at things. Likely I'd be going with whatever plan is offered for maximum data. Battery life is a priority, but that's about the only thing I am really looking for.

Also googling around returns a bunch of results indicating "the phone doesn't need AV" which is an answer that drives me up a wall. Are there actually any AV solutions? It is mostly paranoia, and yes the apps need to get approved by Microsoft but that doesn't make me feel much better. Anyone want to help me be lazy by linking anything about the OS regarding security?

• Options
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/business/security?signin=true

Though yes, there's no need for any sort of antivirus on Windows Phone. It's a well designed platform with a tightly vetted app market and a small market share (meaning hackers are simply less likely to give a shit, when Android is right there and a huge target).

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Thanks for the link. I'll read through. As I mentioned I was being lazy, work has been making me just want to sleep for a solid 6 months straight.

I've never felt comfortable with the market share defense which is my own problem.

Any opinions on whether those tmobile Nokia's are worth investing in or should I consider holding out/look at bring my own options?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Update this morning. Hope it does something cool.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So there's a Windows Phone only game called Dark Lands you guys should try. It's an infinite runner but does some neat stuff to that standard formula by including combat, boss fights, and a bunch of traps that can also be used to kill stuff faster if you can push the enemies back into them. It's a good bit of fun and free.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    While I love my Lumia, I don't think it's an encouraging sign that MWC conference came and went without a single Windows Phone announcement. Even Nokia is launching Android phones, which doesn't make me terribly optimistic about the platform's future.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »
    While I love my Lumia, I don't think it's an encouraging sign that MWC conference came and went without a single Windows Phone announcement. Even Nokia is launching Android phones, which doesn't make me terribly optimistic about the platform's future.

To be honest whats hurt current windows phones, is the cheap low end models for the most part perform just as well with the OS as the top end models. Nokia having Android phones to replace those low end Windows phones will help to promote the top end WP products more.

The lack of new WP models is pretty much because everyone is waiting for the next major OS update for WP to then release a bunch of handsets for, despite WP8 supporting quad core recently, no handset manufacturer will support this feature properly until a major OS update.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

Hasn't Microsoft been following Apple's lead and eschewing MWC for the last couple years? Their Build conference in early April is when 8.1 will be unveiled, and it's a huge update if you've been following along with its developments. With everything they're adding, they could have comfortably labeled it WP9, it's that much of an improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if new handsets or hints of new handsets followed shortly after, too.

And you're wrong that there wasn't a single WP announcement at MWC. They laid out some plans to create cheaper, more backwards compatible handsets with dual SIM cards. It's not sexy, but important for the brand going forward.

No need to panic yet, IMO.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, Microsoft ditched out of MWC a couple years ago.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Hey look, something new!

cortanawindowsphone811_640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
    Microsoft’s upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 update will include Cortana, a personal digital assistant designed to rival Siri and Google Now. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans have revealed to The Verge how Cortana looks and operates, replacing the built-in Bing search functionality on Windows Phone 8.1. While the feature is named after the Halo game series, Cortana will take the form of a circular animated icon instead of a female character. Cortana will animate when it’s speaking or thinking, forming a personality not dissimilar to Apple’s Siri.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    So my work is blackberry exclusive except for 1 IOS guy, 1 Android Guy, and me on Windows phone. I've been on an HTC 8X for over a year now but we're swapping carriers.

This week or early next should get me a Lumia 1020 so I'm pretty excited to see how that camera is, and get the Nokia exclusive stuff that's come out in the past.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Well I returned my Lumia 928 because the Lumia Icon was supposed to come out really soon. Really soon turned out to be a month but I've got the slightly better Icon now. I freaking love it.

Spending a month with android after two weeks of WP8 really, really showed me how much I prefer WP8.

My only issue is that I can't remember the name of an app I bought and I can't find a way to display all my owned apps.

• Options
    UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Well I returned my Lumia 928 because the Lumia Icon was supposed to come out really soon. Really soon turned out to be a month but I've got the slightly better Icon now. I freaking love it.

Spending a month with android after two weeks of WP8 really, really showed me how much I prefer WP8.

My only issue is that I can't remember the name of an app I bought and I can't find a way to display all my owned apps.

Here's your purchase history...

• Options
    My Nokia Lumia 1520 was delivered to my Office today.

I am on a 1 week business trip, followed by 2 weeks of leave.

many levels of bitterness to counterbalance the levels of sweetness.

• Options
    Well, at least when you get back WP 8.1 developer preview will be all ready to go... it's expected to hit early next week, I'd guess Tuesday.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Well, at least when you get back WP 8.1 developer preview will be all ready to go... it's expected to hit early next week, I'd guess Tuesday.
    Well, considering we were told the first part of April (presumably meaning first half), so Tuesday would be the latest. Joe Belfiore also said early next week on Twitter.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    So, what're people's thoughts on Cortana? I'm looking forward to the comparisons between Google Now and Siri. The vids seem to be pretty cool, but as with all things, we'll see how it actually works in day-to-day life.

Also, I heard that it's actually really easy to get your phone registered as a developer, does anyone know if that'a a good idea/bad idea?

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    So, what're people's thoughts on Cortana? I'm looking forward to the comparisons between Google Now and Siri. The vids seem to be pretty cool, but as with all things, we'll see how it actually works in day-to-day life.

Also, I heard that it's actually really easy to get your phone registered as a developer, does anyone know if that'a a good idea/bad idea?

we'll have more on cortana when it's in more people's hands (tuesday, probably).

and yeah, developer registration is very easy. head here and sign up with your windows live id: http://appstudio.windowsphone.com/

then you can get this app on your phone and enroll. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/preview-for-developers/178ac8a1-6519-4a0b-960c-038393741e96

when WP8.1 preview hits (again, probably tuesday) you can patch up to it immediately. you'll receive the full OS. when it launches officially on your carrier, you'll patch again to get new firmware tweaks for your hardware and be on the same build as everyone else again. there are some warranty implications, but thus far there are no known cases of someone damaging their phone while using developer's preview builds to test what the recourse would be.

• Options
    WP sceptical reviwers are saying that Cortana exceeds Siri and Now's functionality. Which seems promising.

Of course, I have always found Siri to be annoying shit more than helpful when it happens on my iPad. So Who knows?

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Well, the 8.1 developer preview's out now. (Haven't managed to fiddle with it yet - phone's been sitting on the spinning cogs screen for a while.)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm all updated. Took somewhere around an hour to get all patched up -- my ATT Lumia 920 had to patch twice due to a stepping stone patch to get onto 8.1 itself.

Seems like a whole bunch of changes, going to try to get familiar with it all tonight.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Microsoft. Wat R U doin'? Microsoft. Stahp.

No, seriously. My music experience keeps getting worse and worse. Now I'm not even allowed to have the right album art for my music?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i don't know what you mean

but the new music app is now decoupled from WP so they can patch it without having to patch the OS