As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FASA Studios kaput

• DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    You rape good IP and turn it into garbage (on top of the raping part), and you get no sympathy from me from getting thrown out on your ass. Good luck on your next gem of a project.

Crimson Skies was good, but who's making it? Did they just axe the folks not working on it and fold the rest (and the IP rights for it) into Microsoft?

You do realize what happened with Shadowrun was pretty much all Microsoft mandated to maximize sales, don't you?

But anyone with half a fucking brain could see that Shadowrun was going to fail. When you make a game based on an existing property, the last thing you want to do is alienate its established fanbase, especially when the property in question is nerdy and esoteric. But - hey! - that's exactly what FASA/Microsoft did. And for what? Who the hell did they think Shadowrun was going to appeal to otherwise? The whole thing is just completely baffling. And the worst part is that this colossal clusterfuck pretty much guarantees that there'll never be another Shadowrun CRPG.

Dirtchamber on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Sad to see FASA go. I hope, but severely doubt, anyone will pick up the Mechwarrior IP now...
    We must have hope.

Please God, Mechwarrior 5, please.
    I will give my first born to whomever makes MW5.. as long as it isn't horrible like 4 was.

Just make it awesome like 2 and 3 were, is that too much to ask? Well, while I'm here I might as well request a Monkey Island sequel.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You rape good IP and turn it into garbage (on top of the raping part), and you get no sympathy from me from getting thrown out on your ass. Good luck on your next gem of a project.

Crimson Skies was good, but who's making it? Did they just axe the folks not working on it and fold the rest (and the IP rights for it) into Microsoft?

You do realize what happened with Shadowrun was pretty much all Microsoft mandated to maximize sales, don't you?

But anyone with half a fucking brain could see that Shadowrun was going to fail. When you make a game based on an existing property, the last thing you want to do is alienate its established fanbase, especially when the property in question is nerdy and esoteric.

I don't know about that. Fallout 3 is essentially going down this route, and frankly I can't see any other path for them but that if they want any hope of success. Then again, the NMA Fallout fanboys could be considered a massive exception I suppose.

Personally, I would have liked a good Shadowrun RPG as well.

subedii on
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Uhmmmm... Mechwarrior 4 has THREE community expansions, adding over eighty mechs and is still being played online despite they shut the servers down. Just a sidenote. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylf2oQyCNOA

ACSIS on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Airtight Games isn't related to Microsoft, but has about half a dozen former FASA folks in their ranks working on an unannounced project.

Fall on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    subedii wrote: »

But anyone with half a fucking brain could see that Shadowrun was going to fail. When you make a game based on an existing property, the last thing you want to do is alienate its established fanbase, especially when the property in question is nerdy and esoteric.

I don't know about that. Fallout 3 is essentially going down this route, and frankly I can't see any other path for them but that if they want any hope of success. Then again, the NMA Fallout fanboys could be considered a massive exception I suppose.

See, Fallout 3 is still a story driven Roleplaying Game. They changed the perspective. Whoop dee fucken doo. It's not like Bathseda is making a multiplayer only first person shooter that has no real interaction with the Fallout backstory. A rather big difference in my mind.

Cynic Jester on
    edited September 2007

See, Fallout 3 is still a story driven Roleplaying Game. They changed the perspective. Whoop dee fucken doo. It's not like Bathseda is making a multiplayer only first person shooter that has no real interaction with the Fallout backstory. A rather big difference in my mind.

Exactly. If Bethesda had taken the Fallout license and used it for a Counter-Strike clone, I doubt the NMA retards would be the only ones complaining. Similarly, FASA's decision to do the same to Shadowrun didn't just put off the hardcore - it put off pretty much anyone with a passing familiarity with the licence. Even people who never played the SNES or Genesis games, let alone the PnP version, knew it was a silly idea.

Dirtchamber on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Not that big a difference. They could have called Fallout 3 "Guns & mutants: a post apocalyptic adventure" and it would probably have a positive effect on the games sales. I for one wouldn't mind the Fallout license not being dumbed down and turned into a mainstream cash grab.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There was a time when seeing a once beloved studio go under wounded me. After it happens so many times, you become numb to the pain.

I quit caring about them the moment I found out a new Shadowrun(!!) was going to be an online FPS (...).

Sir Carcass on
    edited September 2007
    The SNES Shadowrun was sweet. Good time, good times.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You must be ancient.

Or maybe its just me, was it good?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have many fond memories of playing Mechwarrior 2, and later Crimson Skies against my father. Not only did it give me my love of mechs and all things huge and humanoid, it brought us closer together.

Thank you, FASA. Thank you so very much. You may be gone, but you will certainly never be forgotten.

Suriko on
    edited September 2007
    You must be ancient.

Or maybe its just me, was it good?

Not ancient :x Check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_(SNES)

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/shadowrun/

Edit: Yes, it was damn good and I'd even say a bit ahead of its time.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    A haiku in memory of FAFSA:

Long live the EMP
    Dogfighting was da bomb
    Vista is shit

thank you.

MichaelLC on
    edited September 2007
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Not ancient :x Check these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_(SNES)

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes/shadowrun/

Edit: Yes, it was damn good and I'd even say a bit ahead of its time.
    Heh, forgive me and my *ahem* young tendencies. Anyway, too bad I probably would never get to play them, or any of the other games, curse me and my young bones.

Edit: Good links

And, to the post above, I like your haiku, I laughed. Out loud.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shadowrun's price point really should have been closer to $25 since it was essentially an add on to Xbox Live. I might have considered it at that type of price point.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    Remember when, during the development of Shadowrun (the FPS), Mitch Gitelman and his cohorts were all like "If this game sells well and builds the franchise, who knows what kinds of Shadowrun RPG games could be made?!"

and then after Shadowrun got nailed in the reviews he did that half hour podcast about how reviewing isn't fair and now his company is gone. Good riddance I say.

With Bioshock, HL2, and Halo, the market has shown that people want more from an FPS than just capture the flag. The writing was on the wall the day Shadowrun was given the thumbs up for development.

You mentioned Halo

That kills your argument

Algertman on
  • AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You mentioned Halo

That kills your argument

Yeah, I forgot halo's multi player was only 8 v 8 CTF. Oh wait! ;) Not to mention an SP campaign, co-op etc. Your troll-fu is weak.

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
    edited September 2007
    You mentioned Halo

That kills your argument

Yeah, I forgot halo's multi player was only 8 v 8 CTF. Oh wait! ;) Not to mention an SP campaign, co-op etc. Your troll-fu is weak.

No, he's right. If you're talking fps games with some depth to them then Halo ain't the best example. Think SS2, Thief, Deus Ex, Bioshock...and while opinions vary I'd even say Half-Life did a hell of a lot more to further the fps genre than Halo did. But then, I'm one of those people who looks at Halo and thinks "What the hell is all the hype about?".

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh, just never mind. There's no point going round this ol' argument again is there :)

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
    edited September 2007
    Oh, just never mind. There's no point going round this ol' argument again is there :)
    Well played.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I do, but my loyalty is (or was rather) to FASA, not the division Microsoft created to make FASA IP-related games.

But it was harsh to make light of being unemployed, it sucks and I hope they find work somewhere soon. Just not on any Shadowrun or CBT stuff.

Bigity on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, some of you guys would chuckle and murmur "good riddance" when your own grandmother died, just as long as she'd become less interesting to talk to towards the end on account of the dementia. What happened to remembering the good times, guys? There's a certain tragedy in losing the symbol, the name, of an old studio, even if they'd gone downhill of late.

RIP FASA

gilrain on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My FASA closed in 2001. :P

Bigity on
    edited September 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    Wow, some of you guys would chuckle and murmur "good riddance" when your own grandmother died, just as long as she'd become less interesting to talk to towards the end on account of the dementia.

In my experience, dementia makes people more interesting to talk to - not less.

Dirtchamber on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hope that whatever job mitch gitelman gets involves scrubbing toilets with a toothbrush in a truck stop.

Seriously, all the fucker had to do to make this game a marginal success was sell the idea of it to either the origional fans or to the critics. He failed on both counts HARDCORE.

Gaddez on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Long live the EMP
    Dogfighting was da bomb
    Vista is shit

thank you.

You're not very good at those are you.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • The Big ShingThe Big Shing Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow. after reading this thread and learning about FASA. I just happened upon a thread at conceptart.org. If it is to be believed this is concept art for the shadowrun game that just came out.

link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106159

(check first post)

I'd post an example image but my html-fu is weak today.

you NEED to click on that link though. Its quite obvious SOME people over there were aiming to make the SR game we all know needs to be made. This both makes me more sad that it was never done, and so excited because this artwork is AWESOME.

The Big Shing on
    Yeoldemapmaker.com = my sweet flash site where you can design and print DnD maps for free directly from browser.
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I used to play the Battletech tabletop game back in the day. It was a lot of fun, sad to see them go.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FightTest wrote: »
    I used to play the Battletech tabletop game back in the day. It was a lot of fun, sad to see them go.

That's still around, though its run by FanPro now.

Also:
    http://megamek.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

Online Battletech. :)

Phoenix-D on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Just for clarification, FASA Studios is not the same as FASA Corporation, much like Joanie Loves Chachi is not the same as Happy Days.

FASA Corporation was the publisher of tabletop RPG and miniatures games, most popular being Shadowrun and Battletech. I personally believe that VOR pretty much killed them when they tried to edge into the entrenched miniatures market (competing with Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, no less). Shadowrun and Battletech were acquired by Wizkids games (makers of Mage Knight) and subsequent 3rd edition Shadowrun products and Classic Battletech were sold by FanPro (who was already selling Shadowrun Products in Europe... also known for Die Schwartze Auge, the most popular fantasy tabletop RPG in Germany). VERY recently (as in, a few months ago), Classic Battletech and Shadowrun were turned over to Catalyst Games Labs, and they are continuing to develop the Shadowrun and Classic Battletech line. Note that from the closure of FASA Corp to present day, it has been pretty much the same people developing these games, despite the changeover to different companies. It gets MORE complicated than this, but I'll leave it at that.

FASA Studios was formerly FASA Interactive, which was responsible for the video games, based on FASA Corp IP (mostly Crimson Skies, Battletech, and Shadowrun). It was bought by Microsoft in 1999 and has been beating out subpar offerings based on old FASA settings for a decade. Whether this is the Microsoft influence or simply poor ability to make games, I have no idea.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MECHWARRIOR NOOOOOOOOOOOO

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Long live the EMP
    Dogfighting was da bomb
    Vista is shit

thank you.

Yeah, you didn't get a single line right.

Also, FASA is the game studio that just closed.

FAFSA is how you get scholarships.

Snork on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow. after reading this thread and learning about FASA. I just happened upon a thread at conceptart.org. If it is to be believed this is concept art for the shadowrun game that just came out.

link: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106159

(check first post)

I'd post an example image but my html-fu is weak today.

you NEED to click on that link though. Its quite obvious SOME people over there were aiming to make the SR game we all know needs to be made. This both makes me more sad that it was never done, and so excited because this artwork is AWESOME.

Much of that concept art was for Shadowrun when it was planned to have a full single-player campaign with more elements similar to classic Shadowrun PnP.

A single-player demo (for E3 and the like) was created a while back that matched a lot of what was seen in Dorje's concept art, but the game changed focus to be multiplayer only with the end result being the Shadowrun that hit the shelves a few months back.

Fall on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My FASA closed in 2001. :P
    I agree with this sentiment. What was closed this year was simply the dessicated corpse that Microsoft had dryhumped for a few quickies..

Silpheed on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Snork wrote: »

Long live the EMP
    Dogfighting was da bomb
    Vista is shit

thank you.

Yeah, you didn't get a single line right.

Also, FASA is the game studio that just closed.

FAFSA is how you get scholarships.

I was overcome with grief. Have some compassion.

MichaelLC on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm a bad person. Though Shadowrun is decent enough (the setting, at least...), I rejoice at anything that pushes Mechwarrior from the limelight in favor of Western giant robot settings that don't feature Macross mechs and shoeboxes with faces and guns stuck on the top.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Fuck me.

Mechwarrior 5 was my most anticipated game-that-never-was

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    squirly wrote: »
    Sad to see FASA go. I hope, but severely doubt, anyone will pick up the Mechwarrior IP now...
    We must have hope.

Please God, Mechwarrior 5, please.
    I will give my first born to whomever makes MW5.. as long as it isn't horrible like 4 was.

Just make it awesome like 2 and 3 were, is that too much to ask? Well, while I'm here I might as well request a Monkey Island sequel.

Speak the truth! AMEN!

MW4 was absolute shit. The last time I played it everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) used Mad Cat Mk. II's with twin gauss rifles. The game became a goddamn FPS ("get the RL, get the RL!")

MW3 almost caused me to fail my Algebra 2 class in high school. The best MW game ever made.

Unlike most people here, I loved MechAssualt. A MW game that you could play at couch? FUCK YES GIVE ME MORE.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    edited September 2007
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Fuck me.

Mechwarrior 5 was my most anticipated game-that-never-was
    This is just nonsense, they could have at least made Mechwarrior 5 before they closed down!

I mean, seriously, for the good of mankind? Hello?

Sigh. -Cries

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png