As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metal Gear Line 2014 - Chicago to Boston along the Great Lakes

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ricin wrote: »
    IS there a larger version of the train map? It is a bit hard to see
    Not that I know of, it's intended to be a rough guide. The official amtrak links should have better and more detailed maps.

On a side note, if there is one, @Moe Fwacky would have it.

• RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Thank you for the info Zerzhul

• zombocomzombocom Registered User regular
    Boarding Stop: cleveland ohio

we'll have a couple rug rats with us.

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    we should all wear something of the same color so we know whos a pax goer.granted we can just wear badges but im thinkin like all the same color shirt or something funny lookin.

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Maybe we all wear some video game gear?, i am sure we PAX goers would be the only ones with something like a Minecraft hoodie, Aperture Science shirt or something like that on the train.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
    edited February 2014
    good idea.i myself will be in my vault 101 jumpsuit so shouldnt be hard to figure it out lol.any idea if we have designated seating or is it first come first serve kinda deal.we could have a whole cart just for pax goers lol

a fraking toaster on
  • the_fuzzy_penguinthe_fuzzy_penguin OhioRegistered User regular
    You'll definitely be able to tell the PAX people. A lot of gaming/nerd clothing, laptops out, 3DSes, and if you have any doubt just drop by the diner car for some games. I think there was also a Twitter hashtag last year for finding others on the train. But, we pretty much have the entire train (unless my train car was the exception) - there were less than a handful of people not going to PAX the best I could tell in the car I was in.

Unless AmTrak has changed how it was done last year, it's a designated first come, first serve seating policy. Meaning that when you line up to get on the train, they give you a ticket with your seat number on it (in order) and that's your seat for the whole ride.

ok so you have to sit at the assigned seat.im stoked to ride a train lol,havent been on one in 15+ years when i was like 8.

also,theres only 1 train a day that goes to boston right? no chance of catching the wrong train?

Yea as long as you are there well before its arrival time the chances of missing it are slim, like for my it departs at 9:05 or something so i would want to prob be there at 8:30-8:45 not sure how checked bags work and stuff also on Amtrak.

Attending West 2019
  • rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    I'll be hopping on in Chicago Wednesday Night. I'll be with the gaming group Team9000Gaming

To clear the confusion the lake shore limited splits up to boston and nyc. when you choose ex.CHI to BOS it will give you both choices but they should both get you to Boston...just make sure your not in the back of the train @Rensselaer if you get a transfer ticket. (Don't get a transfer ticket if you don't want to sit with everyone who is going to Boston...you'll be sitting with new yorkers).

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
    edited February 2014
    double post caused by error needs erased.

rileyper on
    Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    fss.png
    edited February 2014
    rileyper wrote: »
    I'll be hopping on in Chicago Wednesday Night. I'll be with the gaming group Team9000Gaming

To clear the confusion the lake shore limited splits up to boston and nyc. when you choose ex.CHI to BOS it will give you both choices but they should both get you to Boston...just make sure your not in the back of the train @Rensselaer if you get a transfer ticket. (Don't get a transfer ticket if you don't want to sit with everyone who is going to Boston...you'll be sitting with new yorkers).

They both become the 448 though, unless you are on the other transfer one that transfers at New york (2 different routes not the 48 or 448) and not ALB (48 and 448). I would think you would still be with everybody going to Boston right?

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »

They both become the 448 though, unless you are on the other transfer one that transfers at New york (2 different routes not the 48 or 448) and not ALB (48 and 448). I would think you would still be with everybody going to Boston right?

If all the Boston cars are full your sitting in a NY car til the split then you get a seat in the Boston car. They are unassigned seats but you have assigned cars. And yea you can hang out with everyone in the cafe car but its just not the same with the NY crowd.

fss.png
    any idea if theres a way to bring a bike on the train? i plan on doin lots of traveling around boston since im only doin pax on friday and sunday.

You'd have to contact amtrak. The lake shore limited does allow checked items I believe, so it's possible? There's also a solid bike rental service in Boston you might want to look into. Can't remember what it's called.

yea i looked up a few places,but i cant afford to rent a bike.think ill take a visit to the local amtrak place tomarrow and find out.

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just interested in knowing, wife took Amtrak from Cleveland to MT a couple of years back, she was 13 hours delayed on the way out, and 12 hours delayed on the way back. How has Amtrak been on schedule as far as previous PAX trips?

p3HkbcM.png
    Just interested in knowing, wife took Amtrak from Cleveland to MT a couple of years back, she was 13 hours delayed on the way out, and 12 hours delayed on the way back. How has Amtrak been on schedule as far as previous PAX trips?

Half a day delayed? wow, i doubt something like that is not very common it is prob very rare.

Attending West 2019
    Montana? You're already losing by going to Montana :P

As far as pax trips go, I haven't heard of any major issues with the lake shore limited over the past handful of years. Moe might know more.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The LSL has been pretty good, IIRC. Only issue I recall in years past was the first year when the Albany to Boston leg had to be replaced by a bus because of some trackwork going on at the time. That CLE to Montana run is actually two trains, and Montana has, well mountains, which can interfere with rail reliability.

E6LkoFK.png

• DapperDaveDapperDave Registered User regular
    A group of friends and I were also thinking about taking the train out from Chicago. How do we get in on this?

DapperDave wrote: »
    A group of friends and I were also thinking about taking the train out from Chicago. How do we get in on this?
    amtrak.com
    You are departing on Wednesday and arrive Thursday night. That's pretty much how it goes.

fss.png
    is there a friday train as well? anyone taking it? not sure if ill be able to afford an extra night in boston.

i believe there is one every day yes.

Attending West 2019
    there is a lake shore limited every day, but you would be missing a lot of pax to take the train that arrives on Friday.

well i only have a sunday pass at the moment so not like i go go to pax friday anyways.

• DapperDaveDapperDave Registered User regular
    amtrak.com
    You are departing on Wednesday and arrive Thursday night. That's pretty much how it goes.

I'm not sure if that will work for me since I'm exhibiting. I'd have to leave Tuesday and miss the fun...

amtrak.com

I'm not sure if that will work for me since I'm exhibiting. I'd have to leave Tuesday and miss the fun...

I won't doubt that there will be people going to pax on Tuesday. But the larger crowd usually takes off on Wednesday. Have fun at PAX.

fss.png
  • SynthetiKatSynthetiKat Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    amtrak.com

7 of us are hopping on the train Tuesday night in Toledo. You won't be alone ^_^

There should be plenty of fun to be had even though its not Wednesday. We're bringing a few tabletop games and some handhelds.

SynthetiKat on
  • radjagoradjago Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    amtrak.com

7 of us are hopping on the train Tuesday night in Toledo. You won't be alone ^_^

There should be plenty of fun to be had even though its not Wednesday. We're bringing a few tabletop games and some handhelds.

+4 coming up from Dayton. We can all get a picture on the scale together. Actually, we're leaving Wednesday night.

radjago on
    PAX East Train Alliance, Metal Gear Line: 2013 || 2012 || 2010
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Anyone else coming from Schenectady? Hoping that me and my friend aren't going to be the only ones at that stop.

• MSUHitmanMSUHitman Checkmate Arcade Co-Host STLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    So what gaming related stuff will everyone have on the train? I will have 3DS/Vita and Magic The Gathering stuff. In terms of Magic; I have 2 Standard constructed decks, 3 sets of Duel Decks made for casual play/teaching new players, and my Commander deck.

MSUHitman on
    edited March 2014
    I will have a 3ds with me and a ipad with some games (might put surgeon simulator on there), might also spend some time watching Red Vs Blue again from episode 1 and on (have not done that in ages).

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
    I just checked on delays for the 448 train to BOS for the last four weeks and it doesn't look good. Average delay is 88 minutes. I'm sure weather played a part, but you should plan accordingly for hotel check-in or other events on Thursday night.

http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/

edited March 2014
    radjago wrote: »
    I just checked on delays for the 448 train to BOS for the last four weeks and it doesn't look good. Average delay is 88 minutes. I'm sure weather played a part, but you should plan accordingly for hotel check-in or other events on Thursday night.

http://www.amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com/

Good thing i requested late checkin for my hotel, most of those are not that bad really and can be managed but that 2 AM delay that is bad (for the ones also who plan to get in line early the next day) but that only happened once so here is hoping it does not happen again or for us. Also by then i think the weather would have gotten much better.

Sgt.Mays on

Attending West 2019
    FWIW, I don't remember the train ever arriving more than 30 minutes late in previous years. Even when the tracks were out that bus driver hauled bus to get us from Albany on time.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hi guys I'll be hopping on the train at Toledo, OH. First time being on a train more than a few hours! I'm really, really excited!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    radjago wrote: »
    amtrak.com

+4 coming up from Dayton. We can all get a picture on the scale together. Actually, we're leaving Wednesday night.

Another +4 from Dayton. ;)