As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    So these dragons in chapter 4. This is gonna be a thing...But I gotta do it. I can tell what job is coming from this....

Just did the dragons, they were actually a cake-walk when I used this strategy:
    I had Ringabel as a ninja/spiritmaster with bp recovery (from red mage lvl 9). He would always go first and put spirit ward on everyone, and then when the dragon would use its weakening ability Ringabel would reapply spirit ward before the dragon could use its elemental attack using the BP he got from BP recovery.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Make Edea a god and everyone else gets to be her support crew.

But give Agnes the int and mind and MP, maybe?
    Sounds like what I would do if I had stat items to hand out.

372kp0n.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    so is it impossible to get white wind once you go to chapter 5?

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    so is it impossible to get white wind once you go to chapter 5?

No, but you have to wait a while. There's a bonus dungeon that unlocks near the end of the game where you can get it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    I want to say that I adore that you do special moves that play your character's theme song in this game.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ahahaha...

Dark Shield x2, Black Cowl, Mirage Vest, Evade+20% takes me over 100% evade. Permanent Utsusemi (sort of).

Which means I can just Kairai every turn for the big pharma thing. Also, the passive for 30 MP/turn is GREAT for this.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I want to say that I adore that you do special moves that play your character's theme song in this game.

I love that you can rename the special moves and the one liners that get displayed as well.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice how when you look at this game's icon in the Streetpass menu inside System, the words "For The Sequel" appear in really tiny font below "Bravely Default"?

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Anyone else notice how when you look at this game's icon in the Streetpass menu inside System, the words "For The Sequel" appear in really tiny font below "Bravely Default"?

Really? Guess they forgot / didn't bother to change that from the Japanese version.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Ahahaha... yeah, big pharma is nuts. 30 minutes and I cleared 1 mil, which will let me get the last costume and 4x freelancer garb.

Now to get another mil for all those level 11 weapons.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So what are these "parts shops" for anyway?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Specials.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Is the Bloody Shield from Norende any good? Reducing your evasion obviously means you always get hit, but does it also increase the number of hits you take from enemies? And does it effect enemies with attacks that have a built in % to miss, like Strong Strike?

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    So what are these "parts shops" for anyway?

You have the ability to customize your special attacks by adding stuff like elemental affinities, power boosts, status ailments, bonus vs. enemy type, etc.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    You need to unlock the shop that grants Special attacks first though.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Is the Bloody Shield from Norende any good? Reducing your evasion obviously means you always get hit, but does it also increase the number of hits you take from enemies? And does it effect enemies with attacks that have a built in % to miss, like Strong Strike?

Early in the game 5000g for that much resistance is pretty overpowered.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Did I miss out on any plot by not doing the Vampire quest in Chapter 4?

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    "Well yes, but Spring tends to give way to Summer."

The writing in this is great. Ringabel is amazing. :)

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

If you do an ability-based attack like Judgment or Stomp with a low-accuracy axe, the damage will always be about the same, whereas if you attack with them normally, you have an extremely high chance to miss out on a bunch of hits. From this I infer that evade has little to no effect on the big single attacks that bosses use almost exclusively.

On the other side of the coin, Strong Strike still misses half of the time if you use it as a Ranger, with +100% hit chance, which implies that its failure chance is completely unrelated to the hit and evade stats.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    The character I have equipped with it routinely takes 1 damage from many bosses.

It's pretty great.

M A G I K A Z A M
    jothki wrote: »

There is a massive amount of plot in the Vampire quest, but you don't lose anything by doing it in Chapter 5 or later, afaik.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Possibly a little? I guess it depends how Ch.5 went for you.
    It's mostly just backstory on DeRosso's life and of the crystal church in general. And then the final painting is about a falling angel, but even then they don't go into much depth on that. It's not until Ch.5 that the sage does just that. Also, for me what happened during that bit was the following:

"Do you all know about the church and DeRosso and me and shit?"
    "Yup."
    "Cool, then I don't have to talk about that."

I can only imagine he talks about all that if you don't know?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."

Possibly a little? I guess it depends how Ch.5 went for you.
    It's mostly just backstory on DeRosso's life and of the crystal church in general. And then the final painting is about a falling angel, but even then they don't go into much depth on that. It's not until Ch.5 that the sage does just that. Also, for me what happened during that bit was the following:

"Do you all know about the church and DeRosso and me and shit?"
    "Yup."
    "Cool, then I don't have to talk about that."

I can only imagine he talks about all that if you don't know?
    Yeah, the sage talked a bit about that in my game. Good to know, thanks.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I seem to be stuck in Chapter 8.
    Holy shit, that Chapter 8 Qada, Ominas, Yulyana, Mephilia Group battle. It's vaporizing my squad in a second.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So is it just a thing with Vestals that requires their voice actresses to sound like they're constantly out of breath? I noticed it turned out to not be limited to Agnes.

edited February 2014
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So is it just a thing with Vestals that requires their voice actresses to sound like they're constantly out of breath? I noticed it turned out to not be limited to Agnes.

Priestesses are innocent and chaste and therefore their voices are extremely high pitched and breathy obvs :P.

Winky on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Agnes doesn't sound out of breath to me

But then I thought the same thing about Liara

Liara was way breathier than Agnes, though

dN0T6ur.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I like Agnes when she's being normal and naive.

It's when the emotion level starts to go up that the voice starts to crack a little.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I actually like her more the more emotional she gets. When she starts crying or screaming it feels really genuine

Also

Summon question
    Where the poop is Susano-o

dN0T6ur.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I actually like her more the more emotional she gets. When she starts crying or screaming it feels really genuine

Also

Summon question
    Where the poop is Susano-o
    Crescent island up the top of the map, have to run to the left hand end point of the crescent to trigger the test]

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    north east island very northern tip

not particularly useful to be honest since it costs 20 more mp and you can create weaknesses

Jars on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

not particularly useful to be honest since it costs 20 more mp and you can create weaknesses
    becomes a lot more useful once you get the final Job, at least for crafting nice Sent attacks

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Bravely Default Is A Japanese RPG Inspired By American TV, Says Director
    Bravely Default director Tomoya Asano recently answered a couple of fan questions directed at him through Nintendo of America on their 3DS Facebook page. Among these was a question that asked what inspired the storyline for the game.

Asano replied, “We created the world view as a fantasy RPG with a story revolving around crystals, because that way RPG fans won’t have any trouble jumping right into the world. The exaggerated characters are cute and players can enjoy them on their adventures.”

He elaborated: “Basically this is comedic up to the point where you start really liking the characters, and then the drama develops. I used the methodology of American TV dramas like the older Beverly Hills 90210 (I’m a huge fan!), and Glee as references.”

“In terms of games, a number of games developed outside of Japan had major influence on the storytelling,” Asano continued. “So if you think about it, I guess you could call Bravely Default a traditional Japanese RPG with American content thrown in. I look forward to hearing what all of you in the Americas think of it!”

Asasno is currently at work on a sequel to Bravely Default, titled Bravely Second.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Finding this pirate ship in Chapter 3 is maddeningly difficult.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    so i beat this game. game was fun. most of its faults were endemic jrpg stuff that i can't really blame it for.
    dark knights 2 stronk.
    i'm sad you can't use brave suit + natural talent because that would let you easily break the game in half. you have to settle for dark knight w/ vampirism, bp recovery, revival, gloom & twohand using life or death, rage, blood thirst, rage instead

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »
    so i beat this game. game was fun. most of its faults were endemic jrpg stuff that i can't really blame it for.
    dark knights 2 stronk.
    i'm sad you can't use brave suit + natural talent because that would let you easily break the game in half. you have to settle for dark knight w/ vampirism, bp recovery, revival, gloom & twohand using life or death, rage, blood thirst, rage instead
    I didn't even realize before you mentioned it that the predictable ailment from life or death lets you spend more bp than would normally be possible in a single round.

Viking wrote: »

becomes a lot more useful once you get the final Job, at least for crafting nice Sent attacks

I'm planning to rig up Vampire/Conjurer with knuckle lore to abuse 1000% crit rate for rapid fire specials.

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i also liked how outputting an absurd amount of damage was the answer to every fight, ever.
    the fight with crowe,mephilia, yulyana and qada gave me a bit of trouble until i just powered-through it in one-round using 4x natural talent monks spitting out 3x black banes and see in you hells

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    How does breaking the damage cap work with sending attacks?

How does breaking the damage cap work with sending attacks?

If you Bravely Second you can break the damage cap. So you just Bravely Second and then send that attack and it will break the damage cap.

This discussion has been closed.