As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Earth Defense Force 2017: Happy Birthday Thread, 1 Year

1252627282931»

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Rubycat wrote:
    Jet is the toughest armor to use especially at lower levels due to your energy usage constraints.

Ironically, it becomes the strongest class in the game when you unlock its pesticide gun. Makes soloing the last couple missions on Inferno a breeze.
    Jet gets essentially a nuclear sniper rifle that can fire twice in quick succession before the lengthy reload. Unlike the Battle Armor's pesticide mortar, you can take out UFOs with it and attack the weak points of giant enemy hectors for massive damage.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I'm lazy and use homing missiles, but I've been playing soley with jet. Because I'm dumb. Because it kind of sucks. Whatever though, JETPACK.

I endorse this statement.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Rubycat wrote:
    Jet is the toughest armor to use especially at lower levels due to your energy usage constraints.

Ironically, it becomes the strongest class in the game when you unlock its pesticide gun. Makes soloing the last couple missions on Inferno a breeze.
    Jet gets essentially a nuclear sniper rifle that can fire twice in quick succession before the lengthy reload. Unlike the Battle Armor's pesticide mortar, you can take out UFOs with it and attack the weak points of giant enemy hectors for massive damage.

This much is true.

However, for taking out everything else, swarms and bosses simultaneously?

Batle Armour -> Pesticide Mortar -> Shields up boyo! -> Last man standing.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Is anyone still playing the Armageddon game at all? I finally broke into it with a battle armor and noticed there was an online mode this time. I've played basically no time online ever but I might give it a shot here if anyone is still playing.

• Options
    Also, while the game plays fine it refuses to install; the option is there, it just hangs up doing nothing until I turn the console off. Other games I have with discs that look to be in much worse condition install fine.

The game does install, right? Is there just something off on my copy?

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Let it be known that Tactical is the worst class in the game. Their damage output sucks. They take hits like a bitch. The turrets are useless especially on Inferno. They take longer than any other class in the game to revive a teammate. They are just as boring as Trooper but without the damage output or perks.

At least I beat the game without resorting to the Pesticide gun with it. It was a huge pain in the ass, but it got done. Every other class is seriously boat loads more fun than Tactical.

• Options
    Tactical was the first dude I played as.

Good job too because yeah, everyone else is better.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So did many people buy this on PC?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have no idea, I know I have it, and its awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm playng battle armor and...uh....does anything ever actually become able to kill you? I don't even bother trying to dodge, I can easily soak anything that comes along until something drops health after I blow it up, and between the battle shield shckwave and shield+short range explosive there's basically zip chance of getting swarmed to death.

I think I may be over leveled, I'm rank 3 and a couple missions into the second chapter.

• Options
    Put it on Inferno dude.

But yeah, Battle Armour is the tits.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Is there a better way to level up after the first play through than the Hard campaign? 5-6 is going to take me at least one full run through. Also, do your AI buddies patch your EXP? I kinda need them at the moment, but need the EXP more.

• Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    If you turn off your AI buddies you will get more xp since they aren't there killing things anymore, but this means every enemy is focused on you alone.

Pick missions that have a lot of enemies, normally involving spawn holes and run those over and over on a difficulty you think you can handle (its not better in terms of fun really, but some missions just running through the campaign don't give enough xp (Daddy Long legs and Hecktor MK2 fights)

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Okay so I was walking through Gamestop the other day and spotted this game laying on the shelf for $15. I was itching for a good co-op game to play and I heard nothing but good things about this game from you guys so I went ahead and purchased it. Holy shit you guys were right. This game is really, really awesome co-op. I love just blowing up buildings for the fuck of it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay so I was walking through Gamestop the other day and spotted this game laying on the shelf for $15. I was itching for a good co-op game to play and I heard nothing but good things about this game from you guys so I went ahead and purchased it. Holy shit you guys were right. This game is really, really awesome co-op. I love just blowing up buildings for the fuck of it.

It's pure joy, yes.

I just got the Battle Armor to level 8 recently.

Now, tried some Inferno before then, even at level 5 or 6. Tough, but manageable, especially with DLC guns.

But the new Pesticide gun? It's joy. Just enough range to avoid killing yourself if you don't use the shield. Or it can be an even better version of the bug bomb.

• Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    I'm sure you guys know about EDF 2025. It's from the same guys who made 2017. I think it comes out in Feburary 2014. A gent named Totalbiscut was able to play a demo. It's on YouTube.

Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    There was also a demo for it at PAX. It was rad.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    EDF 2017 Portable for the Vita was/is available at a reduced price on the EU PSN store (I got it for 13.5 euro thanks to PS+).

I started playing it, thinking "I don't remember weaponry that made me move more slowly". Suddenly, red gunships? Golden Ants? White spiders? And when I finished the campaign with "Storm" I unlocked "Pale Wing", a jetpack girl in a skirt... With a whole series of new weapons :-) Homing lasers, plasma gun, very close range lasers. And they all drain your precious jetpack energy ;-) But now I can finish levels far far more quickly because she is so fast! And it makes hunting for the armor and weapon packs far more easy. No longer am I stuck in a canyon, taking half an hour to get out of it and kill the final ant to finish te level, no sir, I just fly out :-P

So instead of campaign x 5 difficulty levels, it's campaign x 5 difficulty levels x 2 characters.

And you still kill your AI partners as easily, and they still chatter endlessly (I love it that they shout out names "Ken has been killed!" "Tiny has been killed!", "The rookie has been killed", "Dammit mothership, did we wake you up?")

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    You know, just a few more months of posting and this thread will be 7 years old.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    EDF 2017 is cheap on the PSN so I bought it and convinced a handful of friends to do the same. There's only one thing that I am dying to know but can't find out anywhere: Do I need to go around picking up every powerup? I feel like it's a little silly if you lose them at Mission Clear. Do they automatically get picked up when you beat the level?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Do we know for sure the PS3 version of the new title is poorly done? I'm hankering for a bug splattering fix on my new machine.

[Edit] Wow, IA is $7 on PSN? Does anyone still play that? It'd be almost worth it if the new game isn't going to cut it, even though I've done that game to death.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    EDF 2017 is cheap on the PSN so I bought it and convinced a handful of friends to do the same. There's only one thing that I am dying to know but can't find out anywhere: Do I need to go around picking up every powerup? I feel like it's a little silly if you lose them at Mission Clear. Do they automatically get picked up when you beat the level?

Yes, you need to pick them up yourself. The best course of action is to keep one ant alive somewhere and pick everything up before you finish it off.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Do we know for sure the PS3 version of the new title is poorly done? I'm hankering for a bug splattering fix on my new machine.

[Edit] Wow, IA is $7 on PSN? Does anyone still play that? It'd be almost worth it if the new game isn't going to cut it, even though I've done that game to death.

The PS3 version does perform worse than the 360 version though it doesn't seem like a deal breaker to those that imported it. I strongly recommend it over IA as that game is a cheap imitation and that's saying a lot.