As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Parties

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    miker525 wrote: »
    The only party I went to last year was the Curse (Wildstar) party. Went right when it opened. Was pretty boring. I went by myself which I suppose could have been part of it but it was just very mild and seemed strange. Ended up leaving after a half hour to head back to the PAX concerts. Got a nice shirt out of it though. Will definately try some parties again this year...hopefully Mad Catz as I'm told they throw the best. Hopefully there will be some fun other parties too though

Curse parties 1st hour is always lame. The people who do the real stuff are busy trying to get every one in the door, so its a social hour. Allow 90 minutes after door opens to judge it as a party. Free booze 2 years ago definitely better then last years $ 7.00 for a 5oz glass of diet coke. Yes, they charged me 7.00 for a 1/2 of 10oz. bottle of diet coke. Thank god Seaport is a "NO TIP" Hotel

• Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    I want mad catz to charge like they did last year only to be like haha we're keeping the money this year. but that's just because I have a cruel sense of humor.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I'm all for recalling previous year's events (and I contributed to the conversation), but shouldn't this thread really be for 2014 announced parties?

vttym on
  • Options
    CatalepticalCataleptical New JerseyRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    I'm all for recalling previous year's events (and I contributed to the conversation), but shouldn't this thread really be for 2014 announced parties?

Well, to be fair, the conversations so far have given insights into how repeat parties work. For instance, I didn't go to Curse or Mad Catz parties last year, so I can judge if I want to go this year by hearing about how they went and what to expect. Maybe if I decide I might want to go to one of those parties, I'll be another pair of eyes keeping a lookout for any information.

Otherwise, this thread will be a ghost town until early March! ;)

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    pelicanflippelicanflip Registered User regular

The majority of the parties usually aren't announced until 2-3 weeks before PAX, especially the ones hosted by developers.

For now, we can go over the annual parties and what to look forward to.

Bethesda will be attending PAX East. They've had parties for Dishonored and Elder Scrolls Online. Fingers crossed they announce Fallout 4 and have a party of sorts.

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I heard great stuff about the Mad Catz one. Was it open bar? I remember there being a lot of confusion on that.

• Options
    AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular

Bethesda will be attending PAX East. They've had parties for Dishonored and Elder Scrolls Online. Fingers crossed they announce Fallout 4 and have a party of sorts.

I want this, for reasons.

Fallout reasons.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    AnarCHris wrote: »
    I want this, for reasons.

Fallout reasons.

"War. War never changes."

pelicanflip on
  • Options
    BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me what the Pokecrawl is exactly?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    BUBBApax wrote: »
    Easiest way is to point you to last year's thread :)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175964/pokecrawl-episode-4-the-power-of-one/p1

• Options
    BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/175964/pokecrawl-episode-4-the-power-of-one/p1

LOL it sounds so fun - does registration for this years Pokecrawl happen more towards April?

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    looks like last year it started kicking off late feb early march

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

LOL it sounds so fun - does registration for this years Pokecrawl happen more towards April?

I would guess late March.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    I heard great stuff about the Mad Catz one. Was it open bar? I remember there being a lot of confusion on that.

Depends on if you were an invited guest or a paid guest. They refunded the money to all the paid guests and made it a cash bar. The VIPs got bracelets and could drink for free. Overpriced drinks coupled with VIPs who stuck to there own groups made it pretty lame in between game demos and battles, but the SWAG ROCKED.

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Thank you for the info. I figured it would be a cash bar once they refunded the cash, however, the swag was definitely phenomenal!

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    My group and I were debating on going to the Indies Need Booze party but were wondering how much a cab ride to The Asgard might be?

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    being 5-6 miles away I would estimate just based on past boston taxi ride that it would be a 30-40 taxi ride each way including tip I mean could get as low as 20 but would be shocked honestly. The two times I have used taxi's in boston they have been around a 3 mile ride and ran me about 20 with tip

• Options
    agreatrandomagreatrandom Wizard Outside BostonRegistered User regular
    My group and I were debating on going to the Indies Need Booze party but were wondering how much a cab ride to The Asgard might be?

Not much at all, $15 tops. If you're looking to save money you're better off going from the BCEC and taking Silver Line > Red Line (South Station transfer) > Central Square Stop

5rOQuX4.png

Design Wizard, Pizza Enthusiast, Craft Beer Extraordinare from MA
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I'm assuming you mean from the BCEC?

Last time I was in Boston for PAX, I stayed with a friend in Cambridge, pretty close by to Harvard. That's about 8 miles away from the BCEC. For frame of reference, the Asgard is about 6 miles away from the BCEC, and also in Cambridge.

My cab rides ran me about $25, including tip. From the BCEC to the Asgard should cost you about $20, including tip.

It also depends on traffic, and which route your cab driver will take. If they take the I90-E, they loop all the way around the river before crossing over to Cambridge, which might be more expensive/time consuming, depending on traffic/time of day.

I'd suggest you try to familiarize yourself with possible routes, so you can direct your cab driver better. Helped me out a couple times.
    rascrush wrote: »
    being 5-6 miles away I would estimate just based on past boston taxi ride that it would be a 30-40 taxi ride each way including tip I mean could get as low as 20 but would be shocked honestly. The two times I have used taxi's in boston they have been around a 3 mile ride and ran me about 20 with tip

$20 AND tip for 3 miles? Did you use a standard cab/car service? Because that's overpriced and a bit of a ripoff.

pelicanflip on
  • Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a $15 cab ride, thats no problem. I'm thinking I take the shuttle from the BCEC to my hotel (hyatt regency) and grab a cab from there. Thank you to everyone who replied

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Went to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Online afterparty last year and it was honestly one of the highlights of the weekend. Awesome time with the Elder Scrolls themed setup, food, and drinks.

• Options

Not much at all, $15 tops. If you're looking to save money you're better off going from the BCEC and taking Silver Line > Red Line (South Station transfer) > Central Square Stop
    [/quote]

how do u figure only 15.00 tops maybe I have had really crappy traffic everytime I have got a cab in boston but everytime I have it has been 3 miles or less and I think the least I have ever paid is 15.00.

• Options
    Pelican yes it was a standerd cab. I mean that time it was bad traffic but it was from the td garden to the house of blues. About 3 miles and yes it was 20.00 another time it was from the td garden to the bank of america pavillion which is a lil under 3 miles and I think it was around 15.00 and the traffic for that one was fairly light

• Options
    http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Boston&from=Seaport+Hotel&to=350+Massachusetts+Avenue++

it would be anywere from 20-30 including tip according to this.

• Options
    Pelican yes it was a standerd cab. I mean that time it was bad traffic but it was from the td garden to the house of blues. About 3 miles and yes it was 20.00 another time it was from the td garden to the bank of america pavillion which is a lil under 3 miles and I think it was around 15.00 and the traffic for that one was fairly light

*Shrugs* Maybe a bad coincidence? I'm just going off of past experiences like you, plus I used taxifarefinder as a general baseline.

BCEC to Asgard is about $16 + tip, so it comes out to about $22-23. With mild traffic, it bumps it up to $25-26, with heavy traffic, it'd be about $30.

Your mileage may vary. (See what I did there?)

• Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Curse parties 1st hour is always lame. The people who do the real stuff are busy trying to get every one in the door, so its a social hour. Allow 90 minutes after door opens to judge it as a party. Free booze 2 years ago definitely better then last years $ 7.00 for a 5oz glass of diet coke. Yes, they charged me 7.00 for a 1/2 of 10oz. bottle of diet coke. Thank god Seaport is a "NO TIP" Hotel

Good to know. Assuming there are no other parties to catch my interest I may give it a go again. Still potentially more interested in Mad Catz. I'm told Bethesda threw a gnarly party last year as well so maybe I'll give it a go if they have another one...assuming they will be there?

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Bought the Drunken Indie Pass for the Indies Need Booze party!

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    Exclusively N.E.P. is going to be announcing its PAX East events soon. It's organized a number of parties in the past, including Sanshee's parties.

Via Twitter:

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    The UnorthodoxThe Unorthodox Registered User new member
    I'm glad this exists! The first year I went, Riot had an awesome invite-only LoL karaoke party. And I loved the Curse/Wildstar party last year (I got to meet my pro-gaming sempais Kayane and Justin Wong there!). I didn't get to go to Mad Catz, but my friends that went said it was excellent and got AWESOME swag. Good times all around. I can't wait for more this year!

• Options
    agreatrandomagreatrandom Wizard Outside BostonRegistered User regular
    Welp, there goes any hope of there being an Irrational party this year. :'(

5rOQuX4.png

Design Wizard, Pizza Enthusiast, Craft Beer Extraordinare from MA
  • Options
    surette wrote: »
    Went to Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Online afterparty last year and it was honestly one of the highlights of the weekend. Awesome time with the Elder Scrolls themed setup, food, and drinks.

In all my trips to PAX and other conventions, this was hands down the best theme party EVER at any convention. I am having trouble thinking of even a non theme party that was better. I played the demo, and have been in on all the betas and still not in love with the game, but I will buy it because of this party :)

• Options

Yeah, terrible news. We were just starting to get our costumes together, too.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular

Not good...and with them being so close to Boston...it sorta hits "home" a little harder.

I wish everyone effected the best.

• Options
    what is the dif between the thread podcast pubcrawl and the pokecrawl

• Options
    edited February 2014
    They're totally unrelated? I mean other than that they're both barcrawls they share no characteristics.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/186955/so-what-s-a-poke-e-crawl

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Ya I figured they were dif guess I was wondering what the differences were.

• Options
    what is the dif between the thread podcast pubcrawl and the pokecrawl
    The Thread pub crawl is very subdued and more like a bunch of fans of the podcast getting together to drink and hang out. The crawlers take their time at the bar, then saunter on over to the next one.

The Pokecrawl is a boisterous bunch of Poke-lovers who may or may not be in costume, split into different groups, and take on the town. These crawlers are more like a tornado: you can hear them before you can see them, and the place isn't the same after they leave.

They both converged at one bar last year. The resulting crash could be heard many states away.

379by4cj0i1l.png
  • Options
    so do u have to be a fan of pokemon to enjoy the poke crawl

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    so do u have to be a fan of pokemon to enjoy the poke crawl

I'd say no, but if you are a fan it just makes it way better.

• Options
    Cool I mean I dont hate it just have not played anything to do with it in a very long time.