As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Urgh...I need more party members. So many good jobs I want to try out but I'm addicted to Free Lunch + Piracy. And why did we have to wait until BD to get Shakedown?! It's the best thing EVER.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Also, is it just me or there's only one Agility dagger in the whole game?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Wow. Well, crashed on Belphegor finally like everyone else. The one time I was doing really well...

I gotta find a faster way to deal with him. Ridiculous.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Urgh...I need more party members. So many good jobs I want to try out but I'm addicted to Free Lunch + Piracy. And why did we have to wait until BD to get Shakedown?! It's the best thing EVER.

Free Lunch+Amped Strike, and having another character Mimic the Amped Strike is just so good. My last setup before gamebreaking jumping Ninjas was

Swordmaster/Pirate - Edea
    Dark Knight/Freelancer - Ringabel
    Spirit Master/White Mage - Agnes
    ????/????? - Tiz.

Poor Tiz. I switched him around so much, I just couldn't decide on what to make him. I wanted to make him a Vampire, but none of the genomes are worth casting.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Aw does Vampire stink? I was just about to go get that job cause it looked neat with it's blue mage bits.

though tbh my Ninja Edea w/ Acrobatics crescent moonx2 everything ever has worked fairly well so far.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Free Lunch+Amped Strike, and having another character Mimic the Amped Strike is just so good. My last setup before gamebreaking jumping Ninjas was

Swordmaster/Pirate - Edea
    Dark Knight/Freelancer - Ringabel
    Spirit Master/White Mage - Agnes
    ????/????? - Tiz.

Poor Tiz. I switched him around so much, I just couldn't decide on what to make him. I wanted to make him a Vampire, but none of the genomes are worth casting.

Well, it's not so much that they aren't worth it, as that it falls into the trap of jack of all trades. I mean, Hellfire, etc. are really nice for blowing through groups, weaknesses, etc...

I'd say the non-genome skills are stronger though. Blood Thirst is useful, Magic Thirst is amazing, and drain stats is a nice way to start a 4x brave (drain phys atk off a physical boss, then unload).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Aw does Vampire stink? I was just about to go get that job cause it looked neat with it's blue mage bits.

though tbh my Ninja Edea w/ Acrobatics crescent moonx2 everything ever has worked fairly well so far.

It has a 1 slot support skill that gives dead characters a 50% chance of reviving at the end of every turn with no limit or cooldown. Which is pretty nice. But the genomes their selves aren't really worth it. The drains in my opinion aren't worth it either, they have a 1 slot ability that buffs them, but even at level 99 with nice Chapter 7 stolen gear, Tiz was just doing around 3k with Blood Thirst. Kind of a waste of a turn when I could do any number of things that would do twice as much damage and just have Agnes cast Cura to heal everyone by 4k or so.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Magic Thirst is the strong one.

But I suppose Sword Magic offers that anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

It has a 1 slot support skill that gives dead characters a 50% chance of reviving at the end of every turn with no limit or cooldown. Which is pretty nice. But the genomes their selves aren't really worth it. The drains in my opinion aren't worth it either, they have a 1 slot ability that buffs them, but even at level 99 with nice Chapter 7 stolen gear, Tiz was just doing around 3k with Blood Thirst. Kind of a waste of a turn when I could do any number of things that would do twice as much damage and just have Agnes cast Cura to heal everyone by 4k or so.

Well there are
    the secret genomes you can get from Nemeses that are better than the best black magic. I'm thinking about using them on Belphegor my next go round.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So I am fighting a Nemesis that is like some kind of horrible Dia de los Meurtos skeleton bird bride

It just made Ringabel fall head over heels in love with Edea

What does that status even mean

What is this thing

I'm scared

dN0T6ur.png

Well there are
    the secret genomes you can get from Nemeses that are better than the best black magic. I'm thinking about using them on Belphegor my next go round.

At a whopping 99Mp per cast and no way outside of a Gold Hairpin to lower it. The only way to make them effective is to put Vampirism as a secondary on a Black Mage or an Arcanist, maybe a Conjurer with Genome Boost and MP Restore and Absorb MP. I think those jobs could get more for less with other combinations.

Well there are

At a whopping 99Mp per cast and no way outside of a Gold Hairpin to lower it. The only way to make them effective is to put Vampirism as a secondary on a Black Mage or an Arcanist, maybe a Conjurer with Genome Boost and MP Restore and Absorb MP. I think those jobs could get more for less with other combinations.

Free Lunch, man. In fact I just did that to kill lvl 80 Belphegor. I was just going to write up the method, which is awesome.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Welp, just got Belphegor.

And... Uh... a Japanese Nemesis. Level 99. Looks like Beelzebub, the duration was 1/1/2014 - 1/1/2104, and it was sent over by Seabass. I've set it as my send if anyone else wants it.

Be Mine; White Fox, another level 99 Nemesis.

Edit: Uh, that's NOT a Beelzebub. It's some Samurai. I'm guessing it's a boss from later in the game? 1.2 Million HP. Holy christ.

Edit 2:

Name is 「お正月限定:蛸泉」. Limitation at New Year: Octopus Fountain / January Limited Edition: Octopus Spring

Apparently it drops a special stat seed called a "Transcendence giving bun."

KiTA on
    edited February 2014
    Squeaky Wheel lockdown, which can work on most any battle, because it leaves you with two characters open to do whatever you want:
    So here's the main method, which I wrote up earlier in the thread:
    The relevant skills and abilities:

BP Recovery (Time Mage): Raise BP by 2 when sustaining a status ailment.
    Status Ailment Amp (Arcanist): Status ailments become more potent.
    Group-Cast All (Black Mage): Magic can target all, regardless of its normal targeting.
    Slow World (Time Mage): All enemies and allies lose one BP every two turns.

Squeaky Wheel (Swordmaster): Reduce the target's BP by 1. For bosses and some enemies, the success rate falls to 30%.
    Prayer (Freelancer): Make chance-based abilities 1.5 more likely to succeed.
    Poison (Red Mage): Obvious.
    Esuna (Red Mage): Obvious.

First character: Swordmaster/Freelancer
    Support: BP Recovery, Slow World, 2 unused slots

Second character: Any/Red Mage
    Support: BP Recovery, Group Cast All, Status Ailment Amp

Other characters: anything
    Support: BP Recovery, 4 unused slots

The first character uses Prayer to increase the chance of Squeaky Wheel working on bosses, then uses Squeaky Wheel repeatedly. Slow World will help keep the boss's BP low throughout the process.

The second character continually does 3 group casts of Poison on your own team and then uses Esuna to cure it.

Squeaky Wheel only needs to work once every 2 turns in order to keep the boss locked down, and it's likely to work better than that. The only dangerous part is getting it started. Spiritmaster's Stillness can help during the first few turns, in order for Slow World to kick in once and use Prayer, but the BP reduction from Squeaky Wheel doesn't work during Stillness.

Sleep works well along with Slow World too, since sleeping targets don't regain BP. You can use the rod special Withering Ripple to lower enemies' sleep resistance and get that going too, and they'll never have a chance.

BP Recovery even works when re-applying a status effect you already have, so poisoning your whole team 3 times every round is amazingly effective.

So to kill Belphegor, I set up my team as above. My other two characters were:

Vampire/Swordmaster
    Support: BP Recovery, Phantom Weapon, M. Attack 10% Up

They both had int-increasing equipment and accessories. Everyone had Iceflame Shields to help prevent some initial damage from Belphegor if possible, and make sure you don't have any null-poison stuff equipped.

Once I got set up, I was able to kill him on auto. It was ridiculous.

First turn:
    Squeaky Wheeler uses Prayer
    Poisoner braves 3x, poisons allies 3x, esunas allies
    Other two default

Every other turn:
    Squeaky Wheeler braves 3x, Squeaky Wheel, Mimic self 3x
    Poisoner braves 3x, poisons allies 3x, esunas allies
    Other two brave 3x, Free Lunch, cast each -ja spell in order of Belphegor's weakness

Badass.

UncleSporky on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Urgh.
    The dark knight fight is just infuriating me. The first stage goes fine, but then he just starts spamming minus strike every turn for a one hit kill, and what am I supposed to do about that? I cant out heal that.

Edit: Figured I should put that in spoilers. Probably a better idea.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Urgh. The dark knight fight is just infuriating me. The first stage goes fine, but then he just starts spamming minus strike every turn for a one hit kill, and what am I supposed to do about that? I cant out heal that.
    raise from the dead!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Urgh. The dark knight fight is just infuriating me. The first stage goes fine, but then he just starts spamming minus strike every turn for a one hit kill, and what am I supposed to do about that? I cant out heal that.

Don't ever brave such that your characters will miss one or more turns. That way even if he kills your healer, someone else can use a phoenix down on them. In fact you may want to keep a BP in reserve too so the revived person doesn't miss a turn either. Stay defaulted and he'll only ever kill one person at a time, as long as you keep Enigma up from spiritmaster to block all the dark damage.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You shouldn't even try.

Save up some specials. When he gets to the point where he's about to Minus Strike, unleash the fury. You will kill him before he can level it at you if your'e careful.

dN0T6ur.png
    just raise them and don't worry about healing, since there's nothing you can do about it. The important thing is to make sure he doesn't run out of people to kill with it.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Chapter 2 Summoner side quest:
    OK, what the flying fuck? Children murdering each other? Seriosly, what the fuck? That came out of nowhere. I didn't know we were down the grimdark path here. I kept thinking "oh of course the children will be ok, this isn't one of those kinds of games/stories. I guess I was wrong.

Should I expect much worse?
    Chapter 2 is particularly bad. It dials back closer to chapter 1's evil after that though.

I don't know, the (Ch. 3 spoilers)
    Salve Maker murdering 100,000 dudes with poison and the graphic description of what it did to people, and then him getting murdered by the Swordmaster

was pretty dark.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    A lot of this game is surprisingly dark.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Don't ever brave such that your characters will miss one or more turns. That way even if he kills your healer, someone else can use a phoenix down on them. In fact you may want to keep a BP in reserve too so the revived person doesn't miss a turn either. Stay defaulted and he'll only ever kill one person at a time, as long as you keep Enigma up from spiritmaster to block all the dark damage.
    I just managed to do it, but most of the fight was just annoyingly playing catchup, because he just kept killing exactly the person he needed to to stall me...

And I FORGOT TO TURN EXP BACK ON AGAIN AAAAAARGH

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I'll say it again: The game borrows more from FF5 than just the job system and FF5 has one of the highest if not the highest count of supporting characters dying in a FF game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular

I just managed to do it, but most of the fight was just annoyingly playing catchup, because he just kept killing exactly the person he needed to to stall me...

And I FORGOT TO TURN EXP BACK ON AGAIN AAAAAARGH

Something I have done dozens of times in this game: Gone into a boss fight and suddenly realized "AAAAARGH I FORGOT TO _________"

skeldare wrote: »

I'll say it again: The game borrows more from FF5 than just the job system and FF5 has one of the highest if not the highest count of supporting characters dying in a FF game.

FF2 and 4 (the two separate games) are pretty damn bad too!

FF2 is ridiculous. Are open spoilers about an ancient game alright? Well, whatever.
    It starts out with one country decimating the world with war and amps up to full scale apocalypse. Most of the towns are just destroyed and empty by the end of the game.

You play most of the game getting guest characters in your party for brief dungeons and they just about all die. So much so that Square made a spinoff side-game in the GBA release about those characters' adventures in hell.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    OK, what the flying fuck? Children murdering each other? Seriosly, what the fuck? That came out of nowhere. I didn't know we were down the grimdark path here. I kept thinking "oh of course the children will be ok, this isn't one of those kinds of games/stories. I guess I was wrong.

Hey, mangled fairy-corpse is pretty addictive stuff, what're you gonna do?

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

it only gets worse from here

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    I wish I knew more about how the Nemesis bun drop system worked.

They all drop at least one type of permanent stat-boosting bun, but every time you obtain the same Nemesis again and kill them, the chance of getting another bun from that particular Nemesis seems to go down.

Some Nemeses can drop 2 different buns, and I'd advise everyone to re-fight them until you get both at once, because it's just going to get tougher to get anything at all from them after that point.

If I had to guess I would say it's something like 80% chance of drop, then 40%, then 20%, then 10%, then no drop. I've re-fought lvl 10 Beelzebub probably 20 times with no drops.

And it also seems like different levels of the same Nemesis have the same chance of a drop as the lower leveled version, as I've fought lvl 99 Beelzebub 3 or 4 times with no drops either, like he inherited the chance of drop from his lvl 10 cousin.

But...I've also killed several lvl 20 Belphegors, and it wasn't too tough to get a drop from the lvl 99 one. So I really don't know.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Conjurer sidequest in Chapter 6:
    The whole "No, don't wipe their memories" thing is a little fucked up.

Like I'm not sure if it's better to have "My brother died saving me and now I'm all alone" or "My brother didn't die saving me and we're going to rebuild Norende together and be happy but then he suddenly abandoned me forever".

Why isn't there a "Go see them one more time and give them words of encouragement and a cryptic goodbye for some goddamn closure at least" option for the party?

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Somebody else said the opposite: That they drop more often. I think the RNG is just trolling you blokes.

edited February 2014
    PLA wrote: »
    Somebody else said the opposite: That they drop more often. I think the RNG is just trolling you blokes.

I dunno, I've probably fought Beelzebub like 40 times total and this is the pattern I've seen. Dropped all the time when I was first killing him, and now I can't get it to drop at all. Lots of other people online say the same thing too.

I just wish I knew precise data. Like, am I at the point where there's a 1% drop.
    AxEFlKp.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Like I'm not sure if it's better to have "My brother died saving me and now I'm all alone" or "My brother didn't die saving me and we're going to rebuild Norende together and be happy but then he suddenly abandoned me forever".

Why isn't there a "Go see them one more time and give them words of encouragement and a cryptic goodbye for some goddamn closure at least" option for the party?
    Or better yet, why not bring at least Tiz's brother and the water vestal onto the Grandship, then back to whatever world they prefer? It's not like they have anything left in this one.

Snowglobe wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

Or better yet, why not bring at least Tiz's brother and the water vestal onto the Grandship, then back to whatever world they prefer? It's not like they have anything left in this one.
    That's true, actually. I mean, they're fine with having the tavern lady with them, why wouldn't they be okay with bringing along Tiz's bro? And having the water vestal with them could actually be super useful.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Welp, just got Belphegor.

And... Uh... a Japanese Nemesis. Level 99. Looks like Beelzebub, the duration was 1/1/2014 - 1/1/2104, and it was sent over by Seabass. I've set it as my send if anyone else wants it.

Be Mine; White Fox, another level 99 Nemesis.

Edit: Uh, that's NOT a Beelzebub. It's some Samurai. I'm guessing it's a boss from later in the game? 1.2 Million HP. Holy christ.

Edit 2:

Name is 「お正月限定:蛸泉」. Limitation at New Year: Octopus Fountain / January Limited Edition: Octopus Spring

Apparently it drops a special stat seed called a "Transcendence giving bun."

I have only level 99 nemesis in my town with super crazy skills, there's no way I can beat them.

D083uBC.jpg
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Will switching jobs around hurt my toons? I'm worried my switching will hurt their stats? I think it's mainly because I'm confused by how the stats work.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Will switching jobs around hurt my toons? I'm worried my switching will hurt their stats? I think it's mainly because I'm confused by how the stats work.

Your jobs can't permanently influence your stats, but they modify them based on job level. The same character at the same level will have worse stats with a low level job than a high level job.

That said, don't be afraid to switch jobs often, as experimenting with different jobs and combos and leveling up for new support abilities is what this game is all about, and the jobs will level up relatively quickly at low job levels.

Just don't switch jobs immediately before a boss fight without grinding a little bit.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
      Who's the wrong person saying genome abilities suck? Edea was hitting quad-9 with them before buffs my game!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
      I was. I don't think they're worth using.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
      my beef with genome is some of the best ones are not available right now because I didn't get them in chapter 4, like fireball

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
      Jars wrote: »
      my beef with genome is some of the best ones are not available right now because I didn't get them in chapter 4, like fireball

Fireball's the one that was hitting 9999 for me. You can get it in Chapter 7 too fortunately.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    This discussion has been closed.