As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:ARR] Old 2.15 Patch thread.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Redolent Rose is just being honest. Weaving is a giant pain in the butt to level, because of all the sub-steps to make just about anything.

Yeah, it is

Uh

Incredibly tiring.

That'll probably be the last thing I get to 50.

IKknkhU.gif
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    And here I was thinking that was the one tradeskill I'd look into. Maybe not!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Don't get me wrong, the tradeskills in this game aren't super difficult, and honestly several changes came down the pipe that made weaving a lot less inconvenient. No longer do you have to rely on hard to acquire materials to level, for example. I never really got into tradeskilling in this game, so I can't say which would be the best to start with. I know the cross class skill for weaving is nice, but not a super spectacular one like you get from carpentry or something.

steam_sig.png
  • NezeriusNezerius NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Careful Synthesis II is actually one of the most useful cross-class abilities that you can get.

I liked getting that one, as I'd never have to worry about needing steady hand (II) to actually finish a synth, due to Careful Synthesis already having a 100% success rate.

FFXIV: Rintha Elenah
    Steam: Nezerius
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hey, just saw FFXIV is now on Steam. I already purchased it legally before, is there a way to get the steam version downloaded? I am not currently subscribing, but I like everything neat and organized on Steam.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    FF14 certainly has to be one of the prettiest mmos out there, which is all the more impressive since it runs like butter for me, when many less pretty games chug.

My favorite part about this quote is all the people that complained that 2.0 is ugly compared to 1.0. It's true that 1.0 was even nicer... but then half of us would be chugging along instead of playing. I'm personally quite happy with a slight downgrade in graphics so that I can actually play it.

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So, I had just noticed that this is half off on Steam as well, and spent most of the odd hours of the night looking up various information including reading the last 6 pages of the thread... god dammit.

I did play the beta, but didn't grab the game when it came out. I do have a couple of friends who have been playing it, might have to find out what server they're on. But I'm still not really sure I should go for it...

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    This is a stupid question...but does the Steam version have Steam Achievements?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Figures I'd buy the digital version right before Steam gets it. Ah well, overlay works well enough as is.

488W936.png
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So, I had just noticed that this is half off on Steam as well, and spent most of the odd hours of the night looking up various information including reading the last 6 pages of the thread... god dammit.

I did play the beta, but didn't grab the game when it came out. I do have a couple of friends who have been playing it, might have to find out what server they're on. But I'm still not really sure I should go for it...

You should go for it. Unless you hate fun. Then you probably shouldn't.

edited February 2014
    And catgirls. If you hate catgirls I wouldn't get it.

But if you like catgirls, because they are purrfect and all, then FFXIV is your thing! And you should totally get it right meow.

(Yeah, those jokes are never going to get old for me.)

am0n on
    Eh, I mean it's not that I didn't like the game in beta, seemed neat enough. And yes, Mithra/Miqo'te for life.

• Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    I think it's important to note that the beginning of the game is an extended tutorial for MMOs...all the way to like 30. I find it a little tiresome, but I think that most classes pay off well once you get to higher levels, and through the story a bit.

Yeah, when I played the beta I got my Conjurer up to 14 and then switched to Archer and got it to about 10 or so. I could've played the beta a lot more than I did, but I held off.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    For the most part 1-30 the game teaches how to play your class. Now depending on what class it is that may not be a big deal to you, however the game will quiz you on it from time to time. With some classes whether or not you were paying attention to the lessons directly relates to how much (or little) hair pulling you do later on. :P

edit- In regards to it being on Steam now. I know sometimes you can just take the CD-key you received and use it to activate the Steam version. Has anyone tried this? Hell, I'm not sure where to even find mine. Either way, I use Steam to launch FFXIV anyway so I'm not missing out on much I guess.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    While the first 30 levels are indeed a tutorial in a sense, I found the story in those first 30 levels to be great and helped balance it out. Like, I actually gave a shit about the story in this game, which is a world of difference compared to other games (not the side quests, those I just kind of clicked through, but there were enough story missions that it still felt like a consistent meal of story quest goodness).

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    am0n wrote: »
    While the first 30 levels are indeed a tutorial in a sense, I found the story in those first 30 levels to be great and helped balance it out. Like, I actually gave a shit about the story in this game, which is a world of difference compared to other games (not the side quests, those I just kind of clicked through, but there were enough story missions that it still felt like a consistent meal of story quest goodness).

Oh for sure. The Class/Main story quests are rather good and entertaining. It is also really nice that the different class quests are, well, different. Some you play the hero, others you are along for the ride. Some are serious, others silly. It really helps make each one memorable.

There are two types of side quests. You got your one offs and then there are the side quest chains for a town/camp. Those ones also range from serious to silly and really good to meh. I often read those ones. One of the recent ones I finished (and one I enjoyed) was at a Miqo'te camp in the desert. You had two males vying to be the next breeder and each are trying to train the same hopeful ranger in their own, but different, way. Each dude thinks the other's methods are wrong. At the end of the day the ranger gets a stern lecture and punished. You talk to her and it turns out she is grateful to both of them for their teachings and in fact she has only become more dedicated to her training because of their combined lessons. Heh, one of the dudes even gives up his custom made arrows that he was going to use to help win the duel to be the next breeder to the ranger.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Wait, really?

The main story quests just go from level 46 straight to 49?

There's nothing in between?

Well...this is gonna be a bit of a chore.

IKknkhU.gif
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wait, really?

The main story quests just go from level 46 straight to 49?

There's nothing in between?

Well...this is gonna be a bit of a chore.

You have a few options actually.

1) Hunting log if you haven't done it.
    2) Guild Hests
    3) FATEs
    4) Dungeons
    5) Side Quests you haven't done yet

But if you want to do it REALLY fast, then I would recommend finding a Aurum Vale party. You can see them on occasion on the Party Finder, basically they join up and run the first room (or the entire dungeon) multiple times. It gives FANTASTIC exp (first room alone is about 80-100k exp) so a few runs of that will do you solid.

Protip though, in Aurum Vale let the malboro eggs hatch. The eggs are worth 300ish exp while the hatched malboros are worth 3000.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NezeriusNezerius NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    My favorite part about this quote is all the people that complained that 2.0 is ugly compared to 1.0. It's true that 1.0 was even nicer... but then half of us would be chugging along instead of playing. I'm personally quite happy with a slight downgrade in graphics so that I can actually play it.

That said, I still wouldn't mind a patch with some optional graphic upgrades for the people that do have a PC that can handle 'em, at some point. (But who knows what'll happen when they add the DX11 update, possibly in the second half of 2014)

FFXIV: Rintha Elenah
    Steam: Nezerius
    Yeah, I know all the options available to me. I kinda just wish there was something less...monotonous, I guess?

Oh well, I suppose I'll focus on doing those tribal dailies and finishing my hunting log first.

And even though I know the Dungeon Roulette gives out good EXP, I tend to be reluctant to do it. It just takes so long.

Finding a FATE probably would be the most agreeable option for me, probably, because it's a pretty laid-back way to level.

IKknkhU.gif
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I know all the options available to me. I kinda just wish there was something less...monotonous, I guess?

Oh well, I suppose I'll focus on doing those tribal dailies and finishing my hunting log first.

And even though I know the Dungeon Roulette gives out good EXP, I tend to be reluctant to do it. It just takes so long.

Finding a FATE probably would be the most agreeable option for me, probably, because it's a pretty laid-back way to level.

Best to just accept it now. There is no real interaction with an MMO that doesn't involve grinding. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    Got my arcanist to 10. I enjoy using the carbuncle so far but am curious what I am supposed to do with it later on in instances. I know there are dps pets and tank pets but just in general, what are arcanists and summoners supposed to do with their pets in a group setting? Additional dps on the tank's target? Off tank? Just looking for some future guidance.

Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
    edited February 2014
    Got my arcanist to 10. I enjoy using the carbuncle so far but am curious what I am supposed to do with it later on in instances. I know there are dps pets and tank pets but just in general, what are arcanists and summoners supposed to do with their pets in a group setting? Additional dps on the tank's target? Off tank? Just looking for some future guidance.

Depends on the pet. Without spoiling too much you'll have a pet later that's Melee DPS with a stun, a Ranged DPS pet with a skill that extends your DoTs duration, and a Tank pet. Typically you'll have your pet on your main DPS target (Typically the main target being tanked). Each Pet also has an AoE move that you'll want to manage when there are AoE pulls. Your Ranged DPS pet also has a knockback but you'll want to be creful using that.

My general rotation is to keep my pet on the main target (it does very good DPS) and to use the other abilities it has when appropriate. On rare occasions you may want to leave your Pet on a target to finish it off while you move to the next, or set your pet on a future target if you are waiting to stun it but those instances are pretty rare.

Mostly you'll focus more on your pets position to make sure it won't be in big damage (it does take reduced damage from attacks though so it's very resilient)

Later on you'll also get a couple moves to boost your pets damage, and a move to trigger their "limit break" so you'll want to use those at appropriate times as well (Typically during burst phases)

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

Dungeon grinding isn't bad if you are looking for certain weapons and armors while leveling. I find if I don't want to do a duty finder I'll ask FC chat if anyone wants to tag along. It's not quite as monotonous with a mate along to chat or banter with (and possibly freak out the other party members, haha).

Hopefully you find something agreeable. Usually someone in chat is willing to tag along to help out with dungeons though I'm not sure about fates. I think Party Finder will occasionally have fate parties for grinding.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    Keep in mind that every time you discover a new area on a map (what I like to call a "map fill" because it fills in the map) you get 0.5% of a level of experience, and this scales. The final map fill on any given map will also give an additional 5% of a level, for a total of 5.5% of your level for that last bit of exploration. I found this very helpful to get through the 46-49 section so I could get back to the story.

Additionally, in Vesper Bay there are quest NPCs that send you to little mini-hubs at 46, 47 and 48. So that is an option as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    If you want the leveling experience as well just wait for your leaves to get up high and start blowing them on battleleves. They are very decent XP now and you can hold 4 of them in your log so no need to go back to grab more every two quests now.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    4 general leves and two GC leves. The Leves in Mor Dhona aren't too bad and are generally grouped together.

It seems like a long hoof, Stilts (and it kind of used to be), but with all the options they added, if you do Hunting Log, finish exploring everything, grab whatever FATES you find in the mean time while doing your daily Beast Tribe quests, you'll probably be 50 before you realize it.

Depends on the pet. Without spoiling too much you'll have a pet later that's Melee DPS with a stun, a Ranged DPS pet with a skill that extends your DoTs duration, and a Tank pet. Typically you'll have your pet on your main DPS target (Typically the main target being tanked). Each Pet also has an AoE move that you'll want to manage when there are AoE pulls. Your Ranged DPS pet also has a knockback but you'll want to be creful using that.

My general rotation is to keep my pet on the main target (it does very good DPS) and to use the other abilities it has when appropriate. On rare occasions you may want to leave your Pet on a target to finish it off while you move to the next, or set your pet on a future target if you are waiting to stun it but those instances are pretty rare.

Mostly you'll focus more on your pets position to make sure it won't be in big damage (it does take reduced damage from attacks though so it's very resilient)

Later on you'll also get a couple moves to boost your pets damage, and a move to trigger their "limit break" so you'll want to use those at appropriate times as well (Typically during burst phases)

Also worth noting is that, sadly, of the Summoner pets only one of them is actually worth using in any "serious" content and that's Garuda-Egi.

Ifrit-Egi is useful in...one scenario that I can think of? And even then mostly just for shits and giggles.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Also the Beta is up in the PS4 store for those wanting to try it out. It doesnt start till the weekend but it is 10gigs so yeah. :)

edited February 2014
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Also worth noting is that, sadly, of the Summoner pets only one of them is actually worth using in any "serious" content and that's Garuda-Egi.

Ifrit-Egi is useful in...one scenario that I can think of? And even then mostly just for shits and giggles.

Largely because his default attack timing is not what is listed. It's supposed to be every 3 seconds, but it ends up being every 4. Otherwise he would be comparable to Garuda-egi (including contagion) and you would see him more depending on the fight.

I'm hopeful they'll adjust it eventually, but yeah until then in group content you just use the one mostly.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Don't forget that daily quests start at 42 and not 50, so they're also a good way to bridge the main story gap at the end.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Eh the daily quests really don't give much XP at all. They are mostly useful for improving standings, getting shards and getting a few extra philosophy tomestomes.

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Eh the daily quests really don't give much XP at all. They are mostly useful for improving standings, getting shards and getting a few extra philosophy tomestomes.

They're decent money too

• JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    So I remember hearing this in chat somewhat but I went to find it (and I don't see it posted):

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/01/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-letter-from-the-producer-live-part-xii-summary-patch-2-16-and-2-2-through-the-maelstrom/

For those that are blocked (spoil for large):
    Patch 2.16 is set to include:

Summoning Bell in Revenant’s Toll
    New Features for the Market Boards (Wish List feature, and adjustments on the filters)
    Ability to summon minions and mounts at random
    Dhorme Chimera and Hydra being added to the Duty Finder
    Gear sets will automatically substitute main arm when item is not available
    Cooldown timer for timeworn maps to be displayed or adjusted (not clarified)
    Crafting stats will affect quick synthesis success rate
    Gear dying preview feature
    Notification feature for Party Finder
    Mog Letter history
    New achievement rewards
    New feature to reselect focus targets (i.e. Primals after they disappear for certain attacks)
    Map marker feature
    More action icons for macros
    New command to have character look towards the Camera
    Characters will appear wet during rainy weather
    Potential targets will have a glowing outline when hovering the mouse over them
    Currently, the content set for Patch 2.2 (March) is as follows:

Leviathan Primal Battle (Hard and Extreme Modes)
    The Amdapor Township Dungeon
    The Binding Coil of Bahamut Extension
    Thornmarch Extreme Mode
    Brayflox’s Longstop Hard Mode
    Halatali Hard Mode
    New Daily Beast Tribe Quests (Kobold and Sahagin)
    New Hildibrand storyline
    New Allagan Tomestone types
    Glamours Vanity System named Mirage Prism
    New advanced crafting recipes
    New fishing challenges
    New Aesthetician hairstyles

A brayflox Hard Mode will be interesting to see!

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
    I love all of those patch notes.

IKknkhU.gif
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'd say Brayflox Hard Mode would just be getting poisoned all the time, but that's already AV.

Yukira wrote: »
    I'd say Brayflox Hard Mode would just be getting poisoned all the time, but that's already AV.

Aiatar's whole arena is just a giant poison puddle.

The fire lizard miniboss is replaced by Ifrit normal mode.

IKknkhU.gif
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I rarely ever complain, but man I hate getting Haukke Manor HM in roulette. It's not even that difficult, but everytime the pugs start arguing and yelling at each other. I end up playing psychologist, wishing I had just bailed as soon as I saw it and eaten the 30 minutes.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick