As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroes on NBC

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    question about what happened with her

[spoiler:32f34b82b2]Did she like, blink and was in a parking lot and new clothes? Or did I miss something[/spoiler:32f34b82b2]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    question about what happened with her

[spoiler:a5d8e8273d]Did she like, blink and was in a parking lot and new clothes? Or did I miss something[/spoiler:a5d8e8273d]

[spoiler:a5d8e8273d]when she watched the video her double took over (or whatever that's going to turn out to be) and stuffed the bodies in the trunk and so on

that's why the kid said he called four hours ago[/spoiler:a5d8e8273d]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    gotcha

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    God damn, this show is awesome. Seriously, the very last 10 seconds of this episode, I was all like :shock: If it's only going to get better from here, this could be the show of the year for me.

Right now, Hiro, Niki, and Claire are tied for most awesome power, in my opinion. And who is the [spoiler:177984a0fa]super powered killer[/spoiler:177984a0fa]? Having read Supreme Power, this subplot is pretty familiar, so I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but each week they're releasing a comic on the website that is a companion to the show. http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    God damn, this show is awesome. Seriously, the very last 10 seconds of this episode, I was all like :shock: If it's only going to get better from here, this could be the show of the year for me.

Right now, Hiro, Niki, and Claire are tied for most awesome power, in my opinion. And who is the [spoiler:7e1fb4895d]super powered killer[/spoiler:7e1fb4895d]? Having read Supreme Power, this subplot is pretty familiar, so I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but each week they're releasing a comic on the website that is a companion to the show. http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/

[spoiler:7e1fb4895d]I'm definitely of the opinion that the killer hasn't been introduced yet. And am I the only person that looked at the young dark haired lady and immedeately pegged her as a plant? [/spoiler:7e1fb4895d]

Aoi on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cross-post from D&D, just because after I posted I realized I'd like G&T's more comics oriented view on my idea.

Theory about Syler:

[spoiler:a23320c29a]It's way too early to have anything other than vague hints, but I'll put out the idea that Syler's power is the ability to sense and absorb other people's powers. In the attack on the house, there was evidence of at least two powers (cryo- and telekinesis) and since we've only seen one power per person so far, it seems to imply that either Syler has a partner or is unique in that respect.

So my money is on the Indian professor finding Syler (either intentionally or through "good" luck) and using his power to refine his theory and find other people with powers. The first time they actually test the theory, Syler kills the person (most likely soon after finding them, not immediately, for dramatic effect) and eats their brain, getting their power (simplest power here would be the cold manipulation, making the Dad in the house the second killing and giving Syler telekenesis). Since the FBI agents mention previous killings, the ice power could fit in anywhere along there, but I really like the kill in the house giving Syler telekenesis, just because it has a certain super-villian ring to it to use the new power to kill the victim's wife.

Sometime after the first kill, the professor runs afoul of the evil "government" Dad's group and is bumped off. Either the Dad is Syler, in which case he wants the research to speed up the gathering, or Syler tipped the group off to remove the only person who actually knew specifics about him.[/spoiler:a23320c29a]

werehippy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:81f17b09be] I'm assuming the explosion happens because of Syler's actions. Syler goes around eating brains or whatever it is he's doing, and because he's picking off the heroes one by one, they can't stop him.

Hell, if he's gaining their powers like you're theorizing, he probably is the explosion.[/spoiler:81f17b09be]

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    [spoiler:6bafe4aaf9] I'm assuming the explosion happens because of Syler's actions. Syler goes around eating brains or whatever it is he's doing, and because he's picking off the heroes one by one, they can't stop him.

Hell, if he's gaining their powers like you're theorizing, he probably is the explosion.[/spoiler:6bafe4aaf9]

[spoiler:6bafe4aaf9]If I was a superhero, that's the kind of pre-ordained life mission I'd want. Don't let the evil guy eat your brain.

It's simple, in line with what my normal day to day goals would be, and it's easy to build a consensus around. No one is going to bitch that fate wants them to not get eaten.[/spoiler:6bafe4aaf9]

werehippy on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Theory on Peter (nurse guy)

[spoiler:c5a090fad7]Theres alot of people saying that he can copy powers.

Actually I think I might be an sort of really powerful sort of "Spider Sense" as he is able to sense danger and his body reacts to it by giving him the necessary powers to overcome that danger.

Now the first time he jumps he didn't really need any help as his brother could and DID save him.

Course next time it was less extreme. He walked off a ledge it would be dangerous if he fell so he ended up floating. Once it was safe and he knew what was going on the levitation disappeared.[/spoiler:c5a090fad7]

Man this show is awesome.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    jarednielsonjarednielson Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:213022fee3]What I got out of it is that Peter can synch up with other heroes around him, oh and good luck eating your daughters brain since y'know she's invulnerable![/spoiler:213022fee3]

jarednielson on
    1fdd6q1.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:85402dd61a]What I got out of it is that Peter can synch up with other heroes around him, oh and good luck eating your daughters brain since y'know she's invulnerable![/spoiler:85402dd61a]

That would be pretty difficult.

'Honey, do we have any adamantium knives?"
    "Ada-what now?"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:90468cd656]What I got out of it is that Peter can synch up with other heroes around him, oh and good luck eating your daughters brain since y'know she's invulnerable![/spoiler:90468cd656]

That would be pretty difficult.

'Honey, do we have any adamantium knives?"
    "Ada-what now?"
    Difficult, or an all you can eat self-filling buffet?

see317 on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It was a little embarassing as my wife came home just as the last few seconds of the show were coming to an end and I was gasping out 'Holy crap!'s.

Seriously though, holy CRAP.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just caught the last few minutes of tonights show and I am interested. I think the Japanese fellow is my favorite. :)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The first episode was good.
    The Second episode was much better.
    I will have to catch this show each week.

Favorites (Don't know names yet)
    - Unkillable Cheerleader
    - WebCam Lady

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Daaaaaaaamn.

This show REALLY ramped up the goodness with the second show. The whole thing was great, I'm loving the fact we're starting to see some fallout from their powers, and the last 5 seconds was amazing.

I agree. The first episode was "ok, not worst show ever, let's hope they don't mess it up", but the second definitely kicked things off.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    [spoiler:0a9591c19a]What I got out of it is that Peter can synch up with other heroes around him, oh and good luck eating your daughters brain since y'know she's invulnerable![/spoiler:0a9591c19a]

[spoiler:0a9591c19a]that would be an all day buffet, b/c she'd just keep growing her brain back[/spoiler:0a9591c19a]

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, this show is definitely on my DVR list now. I'm with the theory that webcam lady

[spoiler:40723e8f43]has the hulk like blackouts as said before, and doesn't remember anything once she wakes up[/spoiler:40723e8f43]

Regarding Syler, I am guessing it is

[spoiler:40723e8f43]cheerleaders dad[/spoiler:40723e8f43]

This is one of the only tv shows that I will really be looking forward to week after week.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I could buy that, but it just seems to obvious an answer for this show. Her dad might not even be the bad guy, though the commercials sure seem to make it out that way.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Regarding Syler, I am guessing it is

[spoiler:0b7cc101eb]cheerleaders dad[/spoiler:0b7cc101eb]

I'm going to have to agree with this because it follows the Jeph Loeb-ian school of thought:

Introduce the villain early and make it so obvious that the reader thinks it's a red herring. Parade around a bunch of villains for 12 issues and then anti-climactically reveal that it really was CheerDad.

I'm looking at you, Hush :x

vinhj on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I could buy that, but it just seems to obvious an answer for this show. Her dad might not even be the bad guy, though the commercials sure seem to make it out that way.

I'm actually hoping that it'll turn out he's a good guy, just working under government methods. He actually came off as being pretty likable for most of the episode.

Scooter on
  • Options
    BizarrohulkBizarrohulk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm astonished that this show has recieved such positive response. After the first episode I thought the internet would be ablase with nerds screaming "OMG! HEROES IS TEH SUXXORZ!"

But almost all the response I've seen is positive, or indifferently optimistic.

The whole thing looks like TV executives put a bunch of successful franchises into a blender (X-Men, Lost, Unbreakable, Matrix).

Aside from being unoriginal, it's also just plain poor story telling. The characters dialogue often goes against the action (Cheerleader girl has her friend videotapes her using her powers, but then says she doesn't want anyone to know. She also says that being unkillable is going to ruin her life.)

The dialogue is also crammed with exposition, and most of the action just seems to be very convenient for the writers (The police, or agent guys popping in at the right time to discover someone, or to get discovered themselves).

I would call the show a disaster (I watched the first two episodes so I could give it a fair chance- wish I'd done the same to some other shows).

Can someone explain why it's getting such good response from the internet community?

Bizarrohulk on
    Bizarrohulk HAPPY!!! Bizarrohulk not SMASH!!!
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm astonished that this show has recieved such positive response. After the first episode I thought the internet would be ablase with nerds screaming "OMG! HEROES IS TEH SUXXORZ!"

But almost all the response I've seen is positive, or indifferently optimistic.

The whole thing looks like TV executives put a bunch of successful franchises into a blender (X-Men, Lost, Unbreakable, Matrix).

Aside from being unoriginal, it's also just plain poor story telling. The characters dialogue often goes against the action (Cheerleader girl has her friend videotapes her using her powers, but then says she doesn't want anyone to know. She also says that being unkillable is going to ruin her life.)

The dialogue is also crammed with exposition, and most of the action just seems to be very convenient for the writers (The police, or agent guys popping in at the right time to discover someone, or to get discovered themselves).

I would call the show a disaster (I watched the first two episodes so I could give it a fair chance- wish I'd done the same to some other shows).

Can someone explain why it's getting such good response from the internet community?

Reguarding Cheerleader Girl:

You see, that's the thing, she DOSEN'T WANT TO LIVE. She tried to kill herself and failed. As previously stated, she wanted to recorded it so that SOMEONE would know about her abilities after she was dead. However, she didn't realize that she couldn't die. How many tv shows can you watch with a suicidal blonde cheerleader who cant die...huh?....HUH!?!? :p.

The reason why everyone is so hyped about this, is because this is comic book style fantasy with a "serious" bent. The show does have potential, and, even though it borrow's concept's from other movies(However, nothing is original, so, that's a kinda lame argument), the main characters backround's are absolutley FANTASTIC. Honestley, there's not a stereotypical one in the bunch, even in the realm of comic book fantasy, and, that's what make's this show a little bit special.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    "You see, that's the thing, she DOSEN'T WANT TO LIVE. She tried to kill herself and failed. As previously stated, she wanted to recorded it so that SOMEONE would know about her abilities after she was dead. However, she didn't realize that she couldn't die. How many tv shows can you watch with a suicidal blonde cheerleader who cant die...huh?....HUH!?!? :p. "

I must have missed that bit of exposition regarding the cheerleader's motivation.... I can't help but think the regenerating cheerleader is ony in the show to satisfy some kinky producer with a fetish for mutillated schoolgirls.

Bizarrohulk HAPPY!!! Bizarrohulk not SMASH perverted producer!

Bizarrohulk on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    (Cheerleader girl has her friend videotapes her using her powers, but then says she doesn't want anyone to know. She also says that being unkillable is going to ruin her life.)

That guy doesn't really seem to be a "friend" as much as someone she thought she could use for this. Also she's a teenage girl cheerleader, being different isn't necessarily considered a good thing in that situation.

As far as being a lot of exposition, yea that got to me at first too, but this is the setup and it already started to pick up with something interesting at the end of the first episode.

I think with Hiro knowing what is coming things will start to pick up even more in the coming episodes.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bizarrohulk HAPPY!!! Bizarrohulk not SMASH perverted producer!

This is where I start ignoring your posts

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Colour Out of SpaceColour Out of Space Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Honestley, there's not a stereotypical one in the bunch, even in the realm of comic book fantasy, and, that's what make's this show a little bit special.

Calm Evil Government Guy.

Missing Scientist Whose Cryptic Notes Hold the Key to the Mystery Guy.

Serial Killer Guy.

Hooker with a Heart of Gold and a Brilliant Child and Who Owes Money to the Mob Girl.

You're the first person I've seen try to claim this show has even an ounce of originality. It's absolutely cliché-ridden, from its characters to its stilted dialogue to such embarrassments as that "We're both looking for something on the ground--OOPS we almost bumped into each other and have suddenly realized we're attracted to each other" scene. Or the politician's mother who stole something because she "wanted to feel alive." It's a quick-and-dirty, thoughtless attempt to jump on the bandwagon of Lost's success and it will end up where other copycats like Invasion, Surface, etc., all ended up--too expensive to justify continuing.

Colour Out of Space on
    SCREW ATTACK EVERYTHING
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Colour Out of Space

"It's absolutely cliché-ridden, from its characters to its stilted dialogue to such embarrassments as that "We're both looking for something on the ground--OOPS we almost bumped into each other and have suddenly realized we're attracted to each other" scene. Or the politician's mother who stole something because she "wanted to feel alive." It's a quick-and-dirty, thoughtless attempt to jump on the bandwagon of Lost's success and it will end up where other copycats like Invasion, Surface, etc., all ended up--too expensive to justify continuing."

I've been ranting incoherently on the internet for a week trying to say what you just said so clearly.

Bizarrohulk was gonna say that that guy said!

Bizarrohulk on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    It's absolutely cliché-ridden, from its characters to its stilted dialogue to such embarrassments as that "We're both looking for something on the ground--OOPS we almost bumped into each other and have suddenly realized we're attracted to each other" scene.

Spot on. Though, I still find it amusing to watch on a purely nerd level, what with indestructible cheerleaders. The dialogue is particularly embarrassing, and the delivery wasn't helping it much.

"Hey, dude! You can fly!"
    "Radical!"

It's a good concept for a show, but the execution left much to be desired.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Colour Out of Space

"It's absolutely cliché-ridden, from its characters to its stilted dialogue to such embarrassments as that "We're both looking for something on the ground--OOPS we almost bumped into each other and have suddenly realized we're attracted to each other" scene. Or the politician's mother who stole something because she "wanted to feel alive." It's a quick-and-dirty, thoughtless attempt to jump on the bandwagon of Lost's success and it will end up where other copycats like Invasion, Surface, etc., all ended up--too expensive to justify continuing."

I've been ranting incoherently on the internet for a week trying to say what you just said so clearly.

Bizarrohulk was gonna say that that guy said!

You know there is a quote button.

Ha ha irony...

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Though, I still find it amusing to watch on a purely nerd level, what with indestructible cheerleaders. .

After lasts night's episode, where her head spins around 180 degrees after ebing tackled, it's almost as though she's more easily damaged than a normal person.

Ha ha! Bizarrohulk not learn to use quote button!

Bizarrohulk on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm kind of digging the show, but it's not a must-see for me. If it didn't come on right after Prison Break I'd probably forget to watch it. But so far I find the two brothers, the cop, and the painter/artist to be pretty intriguing, with the rest of the characters being kind of so-so.

I think it has the potential to become Unbreakable: The Series (which is a good thing), but time will tell.

Munch on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I honestly don't give a fuck what you guys think about the originality, I'm loving this show right now.

I don't really understand comic book nerds being sticklers for originality. Comics are a terrible source of "originality" in terms of writing. This is a show written by comic writers, about people with super powers, and one of your complaints is "lol cliche"? Seriously, watch other shows, I'm sure they'll not offend that sensibility of yours. :roll:
    After lasts night's episode, where her head spins around 180 degrees after being tackled, it's almost as though she's more easily damaged than a normal person.

Yeah, I noticed that too. My theory on that is that her body reacts to traumatic impact by breaking or bending at strategic fail points. Think of it as the human body equivalent of crumple zones. Maybe growing or resetting bones is actually less stressful on her body than regrowing tissue, or her internal organs are more sensitive/more difficult to regrow. We know she can't die, but we also know that her body is no less fragile than anyone else, so the breaking just might be a way of more easily managing or minimizing damage.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hey, a case where I agree with wwtMask's tastes and disagree with Terrorbytes. Well, I guess half of that's not very unusual.

I do wish they would stop calling the cheerleader invincible when she's so obviously not, but then, we are a group of guys who say "he has cryokinesis!" instead of "he freezes people!". :?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    as wwtMask said, yeah it's all cliche, but it's all comic book cliches. "It's too much like a comic book!" "It's not enough like a comic book!" "Bizzarohulk thinks he's clever and funny when he says this shit but he needs to shut the fuck up!"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Though, I still find it amusing to watch on a purely nerd level, what with indestructible cheerleaders. .

After lasts night's episode, where her head spins around 180 degrees after ebing tackled, it's almost as though she's more easily damaged than a normal person.

Ha ha! Bizarrohulk not learn to use quote button!

Or it is possible that someone did not think the whole scene through before deciding that a tackle would spin her head around.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    as wwtMask said, yeah it's all cliche, but it's all comic book cliches. "It's too much like a comic book!" "It's not enough like a comic book!" "Bizzarohulk thinks he's clever and funny when he says this shit but he needs to shut the fuck up!"

Nah, they're not even comic book cliches. It's the standard fate vs. destiny, science vs. supernatural pap, mixed in with general stereotypes (the cop, the hooker, the businessman, the artist, the cheerleader, the depressed youth).

Which is a shame, because the plot arc isn't half bad. It's just that the characters are pretty uninteresting (save for a small handful) and the tone of the show reeks of a half-assed cribbing of Invincible.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    she's not a prostitute

she just showed her tits online for money

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Colour Out of SpaceColour Out of Space Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:

I don't think you're actually arguing with anyone in this thread. Someone's making the argument that it's either too much or too little like a comic book? And the clichés I've pointed out are not comic-related. They're just awful, awful, general storytelling clichés. And even if they were comic-related, how would that excuse it? It's okay to be intellectually lazy because superhero comics are intellectually lazy? Oh, okay.

In any case, I watched the pilot and the last half of episode 2, and I'm out. So to the gentleman asking the whiners to go watch something better: believe me, I will.

Colour Out of Space on
    SCREW ATTACK EVERYTHING
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Honestley, there's not a stereotypical one in the bunch, even in the realm of comic book fantasy, and, that's what make's this show a little bit special.

Calm Evil Government Guy.

Missing Scientist Whose Cryptic Notes Hold the Key to the Mystery Guy.

Serial Killer Guy.

Hooker with a Heart of Gold and a Brilliant Child and Who Owes Money to the Mob Girl Who also has split personality that posseses superhuman strength and rips people in half.

You're the first person I've seen try to claim this show has even an ounce of originality. It's absolutely cliché-ridden, from its characters to its stilted dialogue to such embarrassments as that "We're both looking for something on the ground--OOPS we almost bumped into each other and have suddenly realized we're attracted to each other" scene. Or the politician's mother who stole something because she "wanted to feel alive." It's a quick-and-dirty, thoughtless attempt to jump on the bandwagon of Lost's success and it will end up where other copycats like Invasion, Surface, etc., all ended up--too expensive to justify continuing.

Oh...Oh God....

I guess it's my fault for not making myself clear.

Does this show have recycled idea's. Umm...yeah...EVERY SHOW HAS RECYCLED IDEA'S. My statment was reguarding the main "hero" character's, not the rest of the cast. Oh, and I fixed the Hooker with the heart of gold statment for ya ;).

And Color, honestly, by your tone, you seem to imply that Lost is completley original, which, I know you know is not the case. Just because everyone seems to be positive about it dosen't mean you need to take the "high road" and hate the shit out of it because it's "cliche" and "Not Lost". You might as well hate every adventure fantasy out there, because it's "not" somthing else.

Seriously, it's fine to hate somthing because it's not to your personal taste's, but GOD man, that was the most general argument ever....

Transporter on