As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pixeljunk: 2D, meet HD

Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
pixeljunklogozv9.jpg

What is it?

It's a forthcoming series of "quirky" 2D games in the works for the PS3, to be released over the PSN. They're being developed by Q-Games, whose previous games include Starfox Command and Digidrive.

Here's their website http://www.pixeljunk.jp/

from this playstation blog post:
When I was first messing around with the PS3 a couple of years back, one thing that really impressed me was the clarity of 1080p, so I decided I wanted to try and return to 2D games and use this HD clarity and resolution to re-energize the classic game play of my youth, not just Nintendo-style 2D games, but ZX Spectrum and Commodore-64 style games which were much more quirky. So, I took the nickname I use on a Japanese blog I post on, “PixelJunk,” and started up a whole team at Q-Games dedicated to thinking up cool 2D and HD concepts for a whole series using that moniker.
Until now, I’ve always gravitated toward big titles, so it’s been a very interesting process making a smaller title with just a handful of people; it really reminds me of how it was to make games back in the 80s when I was growing up. Back then, I would knock out a fairly good game working evenings after school (I didn’t get much homework done) and it would only take 6-8 weeks. Of course, in order to flesh out the HD aspect and give people simple but original gameplay, the games in the PixelJunk™ series are taking a touch longer to make than that, but it’s a stark difference to the 20-40 man team for two years type of affair that seems to have become the minimum requirement to make games in the current industry.

Shortening and simplifying game development, and opening up communication with the players through blogs like this, is really helping game developers become addicted to developing games again (like those homegrown developers in the past who would lock themselves in their bedrooms), and this is going to start affecting innovation enormously over the next 2-3 years. Of course, there is still plenty of room for the big projects and, fingers crossed, they never disappear, but cheaper price points, lower development costs and shorter work cycles are going to create a whole load of diversity and I am really looking forward to seeing what will be born from all that.

The Games

Pixeljunk Racers (OUT NOW!)
release date: 9/13/07
cost: $6.99

Its slot car racing, only really fast and really beautiful. looks a lot like the old arcade game Super Sprint. lots of crazy different rule sets and game modes, plus up to 7 player local multiplayer. the controls are extremely simple; you can accelerate with the analog triggers, and move left and right. each track generally has about 5 lanes you can switch between.

[editorial]THIS GAME IS SO FUN, GO BUY IT! Don't listen to IGN's review, which is the oly one I've seen thus far. Once you see this sexy beast running in 1080p and crash into a few flaming cars or whatever you will never ever want to stop playing it. At least if youre the high scores type or the intensely fun multiplayer type, both of which I personally am.[/editorial]

Screens:
thumb1280x1280790654899cs4.jpg
thumb1280x1280791532782to9.jpg
thumb1280x1280790650969bf4.jpg
thumb1280x1280791529120gm9.jpg
thumb1280x1280791525074zu5.jpg
thumb1280x1280790642367du1.jpg
thumb1280x1280791518762rg1.jpg

Unknown Title 1
release date: 11/07
cost: ???

all that is known about this game is this screen shot from the Pixeljunk website.
pixeljunk1op0.jpg

Unknown Title 2
release date: 12/07
cost: ???

all that is known about this game is this screen shot from the Pixeljunk website.
pixeljunk2cq6.jpg

So that about sums it up... this game and the promise of this series is providing a lot of personal justification towards my finally buying a PS3. Here's to hoping the rest turn out as awesome as Racers.

Ah_Pook on

• Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    looks great.

especially the racing one. it reminds me of this great flash or shockwave game called burning metal.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Do I get to spin a free-wheel wildly for about 50 revolutions and scream whilst hammering boost to make a turn?

:^:
    s25951_gc_42.jpg

gilrain on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The second game looks like tower defense.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The third game looks beautiful. 2D will always kick ass.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    wow, that third one looks like it's going to be awesome

i played the demo of Racer this morning. unexpectedly fun. for anyone curious as to where the entertainment factor comes in, it's all about overtake combos - pass cars successively without shunting into their rear ends to build up speed/explosive power/something to do with monkeys, and ride the wave to victory. it's decievingly tricky on a level packed with heaps of traffic. i dug it

i may even buy it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I have to echo the sentiment that the third one looks absolutely stunning. I hope it's a music based line-following/beat-matching rhythm game similar to Gitaroo Man! But with random squigglies (not TOO random) for that replay value. That would just absolutely make me buy a 360 and the game.

It DOES look like a rhythm game of some sort (just wild speculation).

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I have to echo the sentiment that the third one looks absolutely stunning. I hope it's a music based line-following/beat-matching rhythm game similar to Gitaroo Man! But with random squigglies (not TOO random) for that replay value. That would just absolutely make me buy a 360 and the game.
    Do this, it will be hilariously awesome.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Do this, it will be hilariously awesome.

Oh shutup. I was under the impression that the PSN only got the crap XBLA didn't want. ;)

But seriously, I would steal a PS3 and then buy this game.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unknown Title 2 looks fantastic, not to keen on the other 2's style though, very flash game...

LewieP on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My God. With this and the XBox Live. I'm Entering a future, where I want to buy behemoths of machines purely to temporarly license their download titles. So much, much, much more interesting than all their incredibly generic 'Proper' games.

Lave II on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey!

That's Indy Heat!

Cool.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Unknown Title 2 looks fantastic, not to keen on the other 2's style though, very flash game...

i can see this from just looking at the screenshots of Racers, but once you see it in action on a nice tv you will be changed. i wish i could have a fully animated screen of it as my pc wallpaper so i could watch it at all times.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pixeljunk Racers, huh? I remember playing a game exactly like that in the arcade with a racing wheel. It was fucking hard as hell, but I was addicted to it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Pixeljunk Racers, huh? I remember playing a game exactly like that in the arcade with a racing wheel. It was fucking hard as hell, but I was addicted to it.

1181242177126ru0.jpg?

Pixeljunk Racers doesnt actually play much like Super Sprint, but the resemblance is the first thing i thought seeing it as well.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

1181242177126ru0.jpg?

Pixeljunk Racers doesnt actually play much like Super Sprint, but the resemblance is the first thing i thought seeing it as well.

God damn I loved that game as a kid. I was able to get unlimited credits at the local bowling alley/bar due to my mother managing it, and I would never leave that machine. At least until they got the xmen arcade game.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unknown title one looks like a tower defense -_-

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I...I love these people. To me, this kind of stuff is a better reason to buy a PS3 than anything I've seen yet. Still not worth half a grand plus, but consider my interest piqued.

JihadJesus on