As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bravely Default] Beverly Hills 90210 - The Game

1939495969799»

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    so magic thrist+hellfire on someone fast in florem gardens(before instakill anyway) is about the fastest I'd imagine you can grind. but enemies will randomly be faster than me and ruin my unscathed aces and it's annoying
    Dual-wielding Falcon Daggers can pretty much make sure that never happens

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    So I'm worried I'm overgrinding, I'm level 15 and doing some sidequest in Chapter 1 revolving around the oasis and water and whatnot.

More worringly is I've unlocked some crazy expensive stuff from the town rebuilding. I can't afford a Mutsu-no-Kami or a Night Emperor, but if I keep grinding I suspect they'll outpace any gear I can get for a long, long time. I do have ~6500 pg now though, so I could buy some of these shields or accessories that I've unlocked...

Random aside: pg as the currency is a pretty sly Japanese pun.
    The Kanji for yen is 円, which is p and g next to each other.

Hah. I wondered what that was from.

Anyways, the Angel Bow will last you through the end of chapter 2. Mutsu-no-Kami literally lasts until... well, forever, basically.

15 is a decent level for ending chapter 1.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    so magic thrist+hellfire on someone fast in florem gardens(before instakill anyway) is about the fastest I'd imagine you can grind. but enemies will randomly be faster than me and ruin my unscathed aces and it's annoying

The last job has the 4-point Obliterate passive, which triggers at the start of the battle and instakills anything 20+ levels below you. THAT's the fastest.

Otherwise, Energy Burst or the like.

Critical HP+Red Mage's passive for 0 MP costs would go quicker too.

What about Black Bane and the support that heals you after battle?

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Dual-wielding Falcon Daggers can pretty much make sure that never happens

I assumed he was talking about when they get first strike, which sucks. If it's the two birds and they use tornado you might be screwed.

I wear sleep warding accessories so the tree people never can do anything serious to me.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Don't worry too terribly about overgrinding. You'll still get schooled by quite a lot of bosses and enemies that can't be beaten by brute force alone.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ok added @Korodullin, @KiTA and @Badwrong

Your unending forced labor in my village of despair friendship is appreciated.
    (my code is 4098-3250-6521)

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    hellfire kills everything and you will never run out of mana so that's pretty much exactly what you want from a grinding set up. more importantly it only requires one class, so you set it as your sub job and can work on other stuff.

obliterate doesn't work for me yet. conjurer in general looks preeeetty bad. might as well use a performer and buff everyone. only good for a couple abilities to yoink like 50% more exp

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So, Ringabel mentions something to auto-heal up your dark knights after a battle, does anyone recall what that was?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    So, Ringabel mentions something to auto-heal up your dark knights after a battle, does anyone recall what that was?
    Self Restore from Vampire?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    jothki wrote: »

The last job has the 4-point Obliterate passive, which triggers at the start of the battle and instakills anything 20+ levels below you. THAT's the fastest.

Otherwise, Energy Burst or the like.

Critical HP+Red Mage's passive for 0 MP costs would go quicker too.

What about Black Bane and the support that heals you after battle?

That's what I did. Kills everything at no cost and the little plant dudes are weak to dark as well.

Viskod on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Obliterate doesnt trigger if the randoms get first strike. I assume thats an oversight though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Obliterate doesnt trigger if the randoms get first strike. I assume thats an oversight though

Probably.

But really, at +20 levels you should be able to obliterate the enemies quickly anyways.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Anyways, the Angel Bow will last you through the end of chapter 2. Mutsu-no-Kami literally lasts until... well, forever, basically.

I'm already at 18, actually. I have combat on the standard auto+bravex4+physical attack. Monks make the early game a bit... quick... to grind. It turned out that I accidentally set it to 100% encounter rate and forgot to turn it off when entering this first sidequest dungeon.

• LostLost Registered User regular
    I have not been able to put this down at all since I started playing! I threw my name on the friend code list, and any adds are appreciated! (0705-4042-8610)

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    unacceptable_zps917cc682.jpg

ONE MILLION YEARS GRINDING!

uyvfOQy.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Self Restore from Vampire?

Ah, that's the one!

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I gotta say Agnes is the worst party member. I would sub her out for the sage immediately if ever given the chance.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm worried I'm overgrinding, I'm level 15 and doing some sidequest in Chapter 1 revolving around the oasis and water and whatnot.

More worringly is I've unlocked some crazy expensive stuff from the town rebuilding. I can't afford a Mutsu-no-Kami or a Night Emperor, but if I keep grinding I suspect they'll outpace any gear I can get for a long, long time. I do have ~8000 pg now though, so I could buy some of these shields or accessories that I've unlocked...

I've been buying the Norende Village equipment when it's roughly as expensive (or a little bit more expensive) than the stuff I can buy from the main armories.

The Red Cap is a pretty awesome early game hat. The Blessed and Bloody Shields are awesome for healers and tanks respectively. The Sage's Staff gives you unlimited free Raise spells, and the Angel's Bow is much stronger than other bows for a while. These are all worthwhile Chapter 1/2 pick ups.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So nemesis. If I have one set to send, and someone gets it from me and beats it, can they get it from me again?

Also: Darn, my Mammons are both Ethers. =/

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I know it's a simple, potentially underpowered combination

But Two-Handed and Hawkeye on a Pirate carrying the Fox Tail is just... it's just super nice, and strong as Hell

dN0T6ur.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular

More worringly is I've unlocked some crazy expensive stuff from the town rebuilding. I can't afford a Mutsu-no-Kami or a Night Emperor, but if I keep grinding I suspect they'll outpace any gear I can get for a long, long time. I do have ~6500 pg now though, so I could buy some of these shields or accessories that I've unlocked...

Hah. I wondered what that was from.

Angel Bow will last all the way up until mid/late Chapter 3 when you FINALLY find a bow that surpasses its damage. The start of Chapter 3 though is when the bow is no longer such a drastic win card as axes and swords start to catch up in power; nice job combinations for the melee combat open up, and mobs are less likely to be machine gunned with their much higher HP pools.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ugh. Just had my first actual game over from a random battle. Mythril Mines, a succubus + mythril shell combo. Succubus charms Valkyrie Edea, who immediately uses Judgement on Agnes, one-shotting her. Merchant Tiz is useless since Merchant blows and I just want to get Big Pharma, dammit, and Red Mage Ringabel manages to nearly kill the Succubus with Aerora. Next turn Tiz goes to gently tap Edea to break her Charm, but the succubus charms Ringabel, who immediately casts Fira on Edea, causing Tiz' love tap to actually kill her. The mythril shell defaulted last turn, so it Braves, spin attacks Ringabell, one-shots him, and does a normal attack on Tiz for half his health. Next turn Tiz tries to book it, but fails. Succubus fails to Charm, and the turtle uses Reflection Angle instead of attacking. Last turn Tiz tries to run again and fails again. Succubus hits him with a normal attack and kills him.

I was literally three steps from the Adventurer where I was about to save.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    For all the absolutely lovely quality of life features this game has, they sadly missed the mark with running.

If your run command isn't a 100% success rate, then I'd rather you just not put it in in the first place. The idea behind the run command is to flee if things go south. You're not helping by having me fail running 8 times in 2 turns.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Half minds about non-100% success rate run options.

Having a 100% chance would really take the edge out of the random battles. Having a failure chance means that you have to make the decision early whether or not to book it, or try to fight out of the situation. Otherwise, you could just wait and see how things go, then escaping at the very last moment.

Even if things get bad, you still have options. Brave up, use Phoenix and potion combos to bring 2 people back from the grave, and do the same on their turn to stabilise. Use friend summons, or just sub-job with something that can be a reasonable fighter.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    For all the absolutely lovely quality of life features this game has, they sadly missed the mark with running.

If your run command isn't a 100% success rate, then I'd rather you just not put it in in the first place. The idea behind the run command is to flee if things go south. You're not helping by having me fail running 8 times in 2 turns.

That and the lack of reload at check point option, Sometimes you make a mistake in battle and you know you're going to lose. It would be nice to just reload instead waiting for the battle to end.

D083uBC.jpg
    If I'm choosing to run, the battle has already gone south. There are two ways it's going to end now. Either I run and succeed, or fail and die since I left myself completely defenseless. There's still risk, I'm forfeiting any resources I used during the fight, be it items or MP. Giving me a low chance isn't adding any edge. Just annoyance.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    In this game, some can run while some fight, no?

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.