As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bullshit, "Whatever you do, don't cross the streams" can be worked into any conversation.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well it's been a long time since I've been in a wrigley field bathroom

• MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    You're missing the point. You've all heard that something called Ghostbusters existed, she didn't.
    It's such a staple of pop culture that knitdan can quote it without seeing it.

And she wasn't even that young, so no reason to feel old Crimsondude.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Did she grow up in a cave?

Honestly, now...

Is she a bear?

I'm pretty sure even Fuzzbutt's heard of Ghostbusters.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I can easily imagine someone in their early 20's not knowing about ghostbusters. They got their own stuff

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't recognise any of these Ghostbusters quotes. The idea that Ghostbusters gets quoted a lot is weird to me.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    When I was watching the new RoboCop I was thinking about how awesome it would be if someone rescored it with the soundtrack to DX Human Revolution

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I almost never hear Ghostbusters quotes

I didn't see it for a long time though, I think I was 19 or 20 when I saw it for the first time

I can imagine not knowing who Bill Murray is, he's been all about the indie films since Rushmore back in '97

People that were born when he started his indie stint are now 17

EDIT: Oops, it was '98, and those people would be 16. Still!

UnbreakableVow on
    Also, Michael Keaton is great in RoboCop

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    This thread is beginning to make me feel old as fuck. No Ghostbusters, Eddie Murphy action comedies or early Schwarznegger.. Kids these days, get off my lawn and so forth.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Whenever I'm trying to explain something but can't find the words I give up and shrug/exclaim "he is Vigo!" 2 is actually full of awesome quotes. It's on all the time on Australian tv. Also I can imagine not having seem the movie or not knowing who bill Murray is, but I can't imagine not recognising or know about ghostbusters, the theme tune, who u gonna call, etc.

So what happened with Eddie Murphy anyways

I remember Tower Heist was supposed to be this shot at bringing him back

And it was actually relatively well-received and did good box office numbers, so...where the hell has he been since then

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah I am surprised by Bill Murray not because of stuff like Ghostbusters or Groundhog Day but because he is still a really popular pop culture icon to this day and BILL FUCKING MURRAY is a thing I've seen all over the place, from T-Shirts to posters

CYpGAPn.png
  • Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Age is not an excuse, I think people should be more proactive in seeking out media that is outside of their lifespan.

If you're way into film or want to be, sure

If you're just a casual viewer? Nah

People watch what they wanna watch, which is usually new stuff

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I don't really have any positive emotions regarding Ghostbusters. That shit was ambrosia when I was a kid though.

Fuck off and die.
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    In case of old Bill Murray movies I'd always recommend Groundhog Day over Ghostbusters.
    Both are funny, but Groundhog Day is profound.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    The Lego Movie was fucking fantastic! I did not expect it to be this good. It was just so much fun and the twist in the third act worked wonderfully too.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's because of that urban legend about how bill murray will come up to people and take a bite out of their sandwich and whisper "no-one will ever believe you" and run away

i say urban legend but it could easily be true

From a GQ interview:
    Last question. I have to know, because I love this story and want it to be true. There have been stories about you sneaking up behind people in New York City, covering their eyes with your hands, and saying: Guess who. And when they turn around, they see Bill Murray and hear the words "No one will ever believe you."

[long pause] I know. I know, I know, I know. I've heard about that from a lot of people. A lot of people. I don't know what to say. There's probably a really appropriate thing to say. Something exactly and just perfectly right. [long beat, and then he breaks into a huge grin] But by God, it sounds crazy, doesn't it? Just so crazy and unlikely and unusual?

I'd like to believe he does it

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I believe it less as time goes on because the story changes to be like 6 different things

I don't think Bill Murray uses "no one will ever believe you" as his catchphrase

6F32U1X.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I believe it less as time goes on because the story changes to be like 6 different things

I don't think Bill Murray uses "no one will ever believe you" as his catchphrase

Well duh. If he used something obvious, people would believe it.

forumsig.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    This is an attitude I am increasingly impatient with.

The idea that I have somehow "missed out" because I haven't experienced some arbitrary piece of 80s pop culture is just silly.

I have seen parts of Ghostbusters and Caddyshack. Neither gave me any desire to see them in their entirety, and frankly all the good lines are so over quoted that I don't need to see them to get the idea anyway.

You know, I very rarely heard Ghostbusters quoted.

You and me, Zon. Let's change the world into a better place.

I've been waiting my whole life for this invite!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I've seen photos online of him showing up un-announced at random parties and serving drinks, and washing up afterwards.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Remember everyone, in movies, tv shows, music, and pretty much all forms of media, there was more of it than you could consume in a lifetime dedicated to it a long time ago. They are only making more, you will never catch up, there will be gems you miss. Everybody just breathe, try and consume stuff they like, and move on. All stating "You have not lived until you have seen X!" does is attempt to position yourself above someone for an arbitrary reason.

On a happier note, my favorite Bill Murray story is the one about him showing up at a bar with Rza and Gza, and letting themselves behind the bar. They start taking drink orders, talking patrons through complicated drinks, promising something special for everyone. No matter what the person ordered, they received a shot of tequila.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Michael Keaton acted extremely well in Robocop.

He was not great in Robocop as Robocop the movie forgot what it was.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I adore Michael Keaton

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Blake T wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Michael Keaton acted extremely well in Robocop.

He was not great in Robocop as Robocop the movie forgot what it was.

I get the feeling a director's cut would help flesh out the movie a bit. It seems like there's a jump in Murphy's case, or I may have just missed it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was an anthropology major, which a lot of people made fun of
    I got to use "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." a few times

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Also "dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!" Whenever someone is ranting

Prohass on
    I watched the first like...fifteen minutes? of West Side Story and I couldn't deal with all the dance fights so I stopped

also the basketball scenes were RIDICULOUS

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I watched the first like...fifteen minutes? of West Side Story and I couldn't deal with all the dance fights so I stopped

also the basketball scenes were RIDICULOUS

Geebs is it possible that you don't actually like musicals

No, I like plenty of musicals. And not just weird ones like Avenue Q. I mean, I like Fiddler on the Roof, the Music Man and Singin' in the Rain a lot, and Wicked wasn't terrible. It's just really hard to look at all these STREET TOUGHS look menacing and then just...start prancing out of nowhere

No, I like plenty of musicals. And not just weird ones like Avenue Q. I mean, I like Fiddler on the Roof, the Music Man and Singin' in the Rain a lot, and Wicked wasn't terrible. It's just really hard to look at all these STREET TOUGHS look menacing and then just...start prancing out of nowhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=halhVBSMwlY

That's just how gangs were. The Outsiders did gymnastics!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Don't forget this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdxUFDoQe0

(yes, not a musical, but it follows the "Menancing gangbangers turn out to be dancers)

look, it's not that they're dancing

it's how

this is not a new problem for me, my mom watched it a lot when I was a kid and it was always bewildering

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    so Jai Courtney is gonna play Kyle Reese in the Terminator reboot and you know what who cares I'm just gonna check out of this thing right now

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Isn't he just a shitter version of Sam Worthington

PSN- AHermano
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Terminator...

reboot?

Is this like, some kind of meta film where they make a time machine to send someone in back to prevent such an occurrence from happening?

This discussion has been closed.