As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no need to buy MoP, the RAF benefits stop at 85, and if you're okay with just dropping half of the characters you level, you can just let the second account die after the RAF period is over. My girlfriend and I have leveled 6 characters each to 85 in 5 weeks with RAF.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I wonder how they've been discussing releasing the information about the price point.

This is very clearly in the "people are going to flip their ****ing ****" territory, and they know their fanbase. Maybe they decided teasing it for a few moments and then taking it back down to let the initial shock wear off before officially announcing it was the best way to do it.

I hadn't really given much thought to the price since I wasn't planning on ever buying any, but had kind of assumed that it'd be in the $20-30 range. When I saw that it's double that I almost burst out laughing.

Of course, I guess it can't be too much of a surprise considering they know people will pay $25 for a mount that has no gameplay differences from any other mount and simply "looks cool" (or is a flying goat).

• NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no need to buy MoP, the RAF benefits stop at 85, and if you're okay with just dropping half of the characters you level, you can just let the second account die after the RAF period is over. My girlfriend and I have leveled 6 characters each to 85 in 5 weeks with RAF.

This is true. I have seen it. He's quite the masochist(sp?).

I am no masochist! I want one of every class and RAF is the fastest way to get them!

BTW, nothing makes time go slower than Realm/Faction changing a character and F5ing the transfer status page on battle.net to see when you can log in

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    masochism is doing long strange trip on every class prior to MoP...not uh...not that I'd know anything about that.

And speaking of masochism, I think my plan for WoD is to not really bother trying to gear up any specific character/class until I've reached the cap with all of my characters. I spent an inordinate amount of time in LFR in 5.0 and 5.2 on 2-3 characters, with the shitty shit shite drop rates, when I could have just been leveling and not wasting so much time due to how much they increased drop rates in earlier LFR's in latter patches.

Also garrison.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

That makes some sense. Though the possibility of a legendary quest could make that suck

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That makes some sense. Though the possibility of a legendary quest could make that suck

Even then, they reduced the necessary VP, nerfed the party boss, made the tokens drop more frequently, and from more bosses, and limited the stacks for the first set.

So even from that perspective I could have saved an absurd amount of time putting that off too.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I was referring to the idea of someone buying a second account, just to get another free instant lvl 90 and not having to do any leveling from 1-90.

Getting the second account and making use of RAF for quick leveling is already a thing. Which still involves leveling a character and the sweet bonus exp stops at a certain point.

• PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    $60 is way too much for auto-lvl to 90. I have to hope that was a PR gimmick to gauge reaction on a mock-up price. Here's crossing one's fingers that they see the outraged player reaction and scale it back to the $30 or 40 range. I have friends on another realm that want to Arena, and I have the OCD need to have one of every class at max on my main realm. With only two charcters left to lvl on my main realm, I'd pay $60 to auto one toon on my home realm and that other one for the friend's Arena team. Free lvl on the other and I'd be set. But not $120. Maybe not even $80.

RAF makes some sense to lvl if the price is too high on the auto-90, but you're still playing the content that's gotten way too tedious at that point. If $60 becomes the real price of the auto-level I guess I've found the cure for OCD lol.

Papagander on
    “There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Unlock a ghost iron lockbox, found a ghost iron lockbox inside.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I've unlocked a ghost iron lockbox to find a ghost iron lockbox with a ghost iron lockbox inside the ghost iron lockbox. Within the ghost iron lockbox, there was a ghost iron lockbox that contained a ghost iron lockbox that contained a ghost iron lockbox that contained some green shoulders and gold.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So our guild downed heroic Spoils on Sunday, putting us in at 10/14 H. Next up is H Thok. With our team going in with 4 melee dps, how much of a bad time are we in for?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I still don't understand why they didn't do smart quest rewards when they redid vanilla quests for cataclysm.
    AAGGGHHH

Bless your heart.
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So our guild downed heroic Spoils on Sunday, putting us in at 10/14 H. Next up is H Thok. With our team going in with 4 melee dps, how much of a bad time are we in for?

That sounds pretty damn painful. Your stack phase damage will be higher due to the lack of the endless interruptions but your chase phases are going to be really bad. We have 1 mdps, and our first kill was with 2. We've since added a pally healer who makes my life during stack phase so much better. I still hate the fight though. Can't cast dick.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    On a side note, whoever made the Ordos censor for the Isle can eat the biggest bag of dicks.

Hey, you knew the risks when you made a character on a PvP server. At least, I'm pretty sure they had something about the Isle back in 2004. Right?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I still don't understand why they didn't do smart quest rewards when they redid vanilla quests for cataclysm.
    AAGGGHHH

Assuming the reason wasn't money: Maybe they just hadn't thought of it.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    On a side note, whoever made the Ordos censor for the Isle can eat the biggest bag of dicks.

Hey, you knew the risks when you made a character on a PvP server. At least, I'm pretty sure they had something about the Isle back in 2004. Right?

You know, I think I would be less annoyed with the concept if the Isle was a PvP zone like Tol Barad or Wintergrasp. If you're in it, you're here for fightin' and are probably rolling around in PvP gear so you should be expecting it. If you want to use a item that pisses off everyone and lets you gank everyone, go nuts there and have fun.

The Isle isn't a PvP zone, though. It's really a PvE zone all about exploring. Especially for players who are fresh 90's looking for upgrades. It just feels shitty to be jumped by someone you have no way of actually fighting at your gear level.

Anyway, completely unrelated, but I think I had a hilarious burn on a would-be gankee out there. Was on my monk, who's done absolutely no PvP during his life. Some hunter tries to gank me and this mage that were hunting elites. We end up punching him down low, and then I throw a keg in his face to kill him.

And the [An Honorable Kill!] achievement pops. I really hope he was able to see that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    First week back with serious attempt on Heroic Protectors, but with our regular main tank this time (ugh); but then he had to leave (it's Christmas in February!) after a couple pulls because his internet was shit (spoiler: it's always been shit), so we got our better tank back! We went from "holy fuck we're never getting through this fight" wiping on the first add phase every time, to "...we just died to Enrage, but both measures' phases were down and we just ran out of deeps, holy shit we can do this" always getting through the first set of Desperate Measures without much problems.

Now our shaman whose name shall go unmentioned ( :P ) needs to stop randomly dying. Or our paladin when they are cheesing the Anguish dude. Or our second tree druid who likes to stand in the Kicks and give our raid leader a heart attack every time.

Really, individual people need to just not fuck up and waste our early battle rez or leave us a DPS down.

In other news: Immerseus dropped his Heroic Bindings!! Who's a happy Boomkin?

<- - - - - This owl.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Heroic Bindings so good. Now if only we could get a WF version to drop. Ever. So sad :(

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Ah, lockboxes within lockboxes, within other lockboxes, within even more lockboxes. Trying to remember if I ran into any cases where there was more than one within the chest, I know of at least one time where one had another lockbox, gold and a green. Hilariously enough, the lockbox within opened to reveal another lockbox before I got another green.

As for instant 90s. I figured it was going to be pricey since there is a legitimate concern that making it too affordable will fuck things up. Not only does that hose over people leveling below 90, but large chunks of the community can be pretty fucking douche at times and if it becomes too easy to get 90s, they run a risk of too many people adopting the attitude of "lololol quite your QQ scrub and just buy a new 90 if your main sucks this tier/season." With a high enough price, that tends to keep the population of that crowd low. Not to mention they do seem to want people to level toons given that we only get one free 90 and everyone has to level toons to 100. There is also Blizz not being super friendly to the idea that people should have access to a huge rooster of raid ready alts, to ape the bleeding edge guild strategies perfectly (probably one of the few Blizz's views in regards to alts, that I can agree with because I think people should be playing the class/spec they want to play and not what lemmings deem mandatory best).

60 dollars sounds too expensive too me, but that may be the goal on blizz's part. If lots of people bulk at the price, it's more likely they won't have to worry about too many people boosting characters. Granted I'd be surprised if they don't also include some sort of CD on it as well. My experience with alts, is that it becomes easier to get more max level turns per expansion since it doesn't take very long to get one from the last expansion's cap to the new cap.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Heroic Bindings so good. Now if only we could get a WF version to drop. Ever. So sad :(

I went from Warforged Normal to Heroic, so the jump wasn't that great, sadly.

But yea, time to work on the Heroic Warforged variant now. And to reforge out of this excess hit and haste it gave me, ugh.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Papagander wrote: »
    $60 is way too much for auto-lvl to 90. I have to hope that was a PR gimmick to gauge reaction on a mock-up price. Here's crossing one's fingers that they see the outraged player reaction and scale it back to the $30 or 40 range. I have friends on another realm that want to Arena, and I have the OCD need to have one of every class at max on my main realm. With only two charcters left to lvl on my main realm, I'd pay $60 to auto one toon on my home realm and that other one for the friend's Arena team. Free lvl on the other and I'd be set. But not $120. Maybe not even $80.

RAF makes some sense to lvl if the price is too high on the auto-90, but you're still playing the content that's gotten way too tedious at that point. If $60 becomes the real price of the auto-level I guess I've found the cure for OCD lol.

How is it $60? 40 is too expensive for it as well
    30 is that iffy range I think it should be more like that as it's something to make you think about it

I created a few alts to grind out my bank guilds and to get the loremaster achievement
    I think this is a mistake as I am blowing through it without herilooms and still fail to get the area achievement

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    sixty bucks is like hilariously expensive, but I assume people will pay it

I don't really buy the idea that the "community" having something to troll about is an issue worth caring about. People already troll about everything

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's not like you have to buy a boost. You get one free with Warlords and then you can level your alts like people always done.

• NamonNamon Registered User regular
    I really think the prohibitive cost is primarily to discourage people with less than noble intentions from easily banging out 90's. The scenario of having countless botters out there taking all the nodes/resources until they get banned, and then they just go out and buy another round of 90's keeps running through my head. And then at the risk of sounding snarky, it could be as simple as something like if people were willing to plunk down almost 2/3's the cost of an entire expansion for just one mount.... then they probably are willing to pay $$$ to bypass the leveling process. However, setting my jaded cynicism aside, I really believe it's more of the former than the latter.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Namon wrote: »
    I really think the prohibitive cost is primarily to discourage people with less than noble intentions from easily banging out 90's. The scenario of having countless botters out there taking all the nodes/resources until they get banned, and then they just go out and buy another round of 90's keeps running through my head. And then at the risk of sounding snarky, it could be as simple as something like if people were willing to plunk down almost 2/3's the cost of an entire expansion for just one mount.... then they probably are willing to pay $$$ to bypass the leveling process. However, setting my jaded cynicism aside, I really believe it's more of the former than the latter.

So much this. And I think they want to discourage normal players as well - so that not every one just bypasses 90% of the content of the game. And someone who really, really wants or needs that boost might as well pay that price.

I am just going to use my free one my shaman or death knight since the later I have no idea what I am doing and am not just feeling it

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Well the thing is, a number of folks in here were at least considering (if not planning) to go ahead and purchase a boost for one of their characters in this interim period before the expansion hits. Making the cost prohibitive does prevent abuse, certainly, but it also prevents additional revenue from people who are basically the target audience - that is, people with a number of alts that they'd like to have ready to go for WoD on day one.

That being said, the price isn't final yet as no formal announcement has been made, and it certainly seems plausible that that "leak" was done intentionally to test the waters. I'm not too fussed about it either way since leveling is the most enjoyable part of the game to me and since there's no new race or class this go around, I've got no reason to use even the free one that comes with the expansion.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Got the RAF character to up 31. We quested through the tauren starter zone, and since then we have ran 4 instances. I think at some point (maybe 40) I'll have to raid the AH for level 40 plate gear, I'm a little squishy, and I've been lucky with drops. The resto shaman on the RAF account though - she's having a hard time keeping up. I guess you aren't supposed to be wearing lvl 10 green/white items healing in Gnomer.

Meh, the Brewmaster monk I'm leveling got all the way to level 70 wearing a level 13 int leather chest I picked up in RFC.

If you had a 90, I'd chain run you through heroics. BUT NOOO. You dont.

I do. He should be transferred over by the time I get home.

Level 90 boomkin at like ~498 I think. I got to 496 monday evening and got in a single run of the first wing of soo lfr and picked up a 528 staff off sha of pride.

• KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    Based on mounts costing $25 I see the 90 boost at $60 as completely rational. You aren't "supposed to" do it at all, let alone more than once. It's there as an option, and it would save you probably, what, 30 hours?

$50 pleases my OCD more though :P

• ExpigatorExpigator Registered User regular
    So I just hit 73 and things have slowed down a little. First time for me in WOTLK. Made the transition at 69 which I probably should have waited a little longer but remembered the item jump from Vanilla to BC. Yup, still there from BC to WOTLK. Went from ilvl 115s to green 153s on my first 3-4 quests. The new instances aren't great for warrior gear but they're new and exciting! I lost the ability to get random gear bags for randomly joining a dungeon group, so that hurt. Jesus the cost of LVL 70 flying though, 5 grand?!

I also got into this whole pet battle thing. I can see how that would be totally addictive. Did it for an hour straight getting a few pets to 7 and popping off grandmasters. The achievements come flying out of there!

And I'm also at the point of looking into heirlooms. I don't think leveling alts is worth anything until i can get those heirloom items. Hell, i may get some and put em on my warrior for the XP boost!

A few terms thrown around on these forums that I haven't even looked into....should I? - Reforging, Transmog

"Look out here comes"..."Susan"..."Suuuuuuuuuuuuusan".
    "Woah, I just scared myself!"
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Reforging - Lets you transform secondary stats on your gear into other secondary stats. Don't worry about it while you're leveling.

Transmog - Lets your gear have the appearance of other gear you possess. Probably not worth bothering with while you're leveling either.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Reforging means changing a part of one secondary stat on your gear into another, doesn't really come into play until 90 and raiding.

Transmog means making your gear look like other piece of gear, cosmetic and costs some gold.

I do. He should be transferred over by the time I get home.

Level 90 boomkin at like ~498 I think. I got to 496 monday evening and got in a single run of the first wing of soo lfr and picked up a 528 staff off sha of pride.

Raid group could use a boomkin. Who shows up. To have loot showered upon them. I'll be home in a few hours, so we can spam Q and Ill just tank it all in my dps gear.

I can do those things. I'm not very good at boomkin-ing though, it was just my only 90.

Welp, looks like I need to find the new Elitist Jerks so I can learn to properly eclipse state.

This discussion has been closed.