As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]en tenders for lunch

19495969798100»

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

Grimrock. Most JRPGs. Most non-Bethesda RPGs, actually.

Even ones I like to play, like Dragon Age, spends a good deal of its time involved in money-making schemes and weapon/armor upkeep.

And Kingdoms of Amalur was such a crippling disappointment all around.

This is Origins you're talking about? Because I don't remember any of that.

Yeah, Origins has like a billion different armor grades and classes, plus a billion more unique item sets, and it just becomes a chore keeping up with them all, especially if you're prone to being a completionist.

I really don't recall having any trouble with any of these things. Just didn't register with me.

The DLC with Warden's Keep mitigated some of the trouble with item limits by giving you a storage locker, but even then you're constantly fiddling with loot.

I have a weird thing about loot in RPGs. I like loot, but I don't want to spend all my time looting, and I don't want to have to sort through tons and tons of junk all the time.

But I also think crafting and herbalism are largely broken mechanics in almost every game they're presented in.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I would love to play an RPG where roughly 80% of my time isn't spent repairing gear, crafting, and organizing my items.

As much as I found it kind of a jarring change. I think ME2 and 3 ditching the inventory / upgrade system of ME was one of the best decisions they could have made.

Oh god yes.
    The most frustrating thing about the first mass effect (after the Sisyphean task that is managing your inventory) is that you play commander shepard - an N7 graduate, XO on the normandy, a special prototype ship and a candidate to become the first human Spectre. But you can't hit anything with any weapon because you apparently made it to this point in your career with a rough idea of which end of the gun is the dangerous one and little else.

Thank god they eventually got rid of that nonsense.

sig.gif
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I really like EQN

"we have wormsign the likes of which GOD has never seen!"

pEgzQzX.jpg

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I don't have any particular objection to managing gear and upgrades and such

But if such a system is too open it rapidly becomes unmanageable

So basically there needs to be a non-tedious way to optimise, and I tend to think it's worth sacrificing some flexibility for that purpose

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I want the rest of the Nova Corps to be play by other stalwarts of British comedy alongside Peter Serafinowicz. Steve Coogan, Kevin Bridges, David Mitchell, etc.
    God, imagine Mitchell as a Nova Corps administrator.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Marvel's space stuff was best when it was in British hands. DnA, that's all.

Its funny how many amazing stories actually were taking place under Marvel UK without getting much press over here. And I'm not just saying this as a huge Alan Davis fanboy. Finding those Marvel UK titles after I'd been collencting for a while was like stumbling on buried treasure.

The Marvel UK Transformers title was amazing, when it wasn't running godawful crap from the American Marvel Transformers comic. Simon Furman and Geoff Senior making mythology and awesomeness out of toy robots. Fucking Death's Head, a character so amazing he now makes an appearance whenever a UK writer gets his hands on a Marvel book and is able to write a scene in space, because everyone who was a kid and who read stories with that guy fell in love forever.

Marvel UK is having some sort of crossover event that he's in.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    I think hellgate: london might have had the worstest loot system

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I want the rest of the Nova Corps to be play by other stalwarts of British comedy alongside Peter Serafinowicz. Steve Coogan, Kevin Bridges, David Mitchell, etc.

Yes. If we get a Nova movie, this needs to happen.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Alpha Protocol had that issue too. Supposedly Sega made them tie guns to a leveling mechanic.

Cinders on
  • Options
    What about a crafting/leveling mechanic where you get more spendable credits for expanding your breadth of skill in the game or completing certain cheevos? It seems like that would have you actually use the game's thesis itself to improve your performance in the game (given the caveat you think games AREN'T about constant organisation and crafting).

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I am procrastinating on going to my car because ice everywhere.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Going to see Robocop for free tomorrow.

I feel this is a mistake.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    "LeBron has advice for Romo, fan of Manziel"

shouldn't it be "LeBron has advice for Romo; fan of Manziel"? Or is that usage of the comma fine?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Still, it's free, and I'm told there are at least some interesting bits.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »
    I am procrastinating on going to my car because ice everywhere.

I wish I lived in the Fortress of Solitude. :(

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    gotta be honest

the two slices of tomato on 5 guys is 3much

1 slice plz

Also 2 single patty burgers is better than 1 double at 5guys.

2 single patty from where

and when I go to 5 guys I usually get the "little" burger (read: normal fucking burger) with bacon lettuce tomato onion ketchup mustard pickles

it's p great

That's exactly what I'm saying!

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Going to see Robocop for free tomorrow.

I feel this is a mistake.
    I'm looking forward to your review!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Also just got stuck behind someone that didn't know how to trigger a green light.

Waited for 8 entire minutes.

Burn it all down.

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Yes. If we get a Nova movie, this needs to happen.

Is it bad that I'd rather have a Captain Marvel movie?

Or can it be both?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @Atomika will create the new thread
    @Shazkar Shadowstorm is backup

This discussion has been closed.