As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] thread - Galaxy Gear is bad

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    So I'm having some probable memory issues in my computer right now. When I set the memory to DDR3 1600 a few weeks ago, the system started straight up crashing with memory errors. I set the memory back to the default the Motherboard picked of 1333.

Today I was tabbed out of a game and then walked away to check something. When I came back, the whole computer had locked up. I downloaded and ran MemTest86 and the test reported one error on the first pass and the whole computer locked up on pass 2.

I restarted my computer and ran the test again. It locked up on pass 1, so I shut down my computer and removed one stick of RAM and ran the test again.

The test went fine with no errors. I moved the stick to the other DIMM slot and ran the test a second time. No errors.

I did the same with the second stick and didn't get any errors.

I put both sticks back in and for fun, swapped which DIMM slots they are in and now, I have three errors.

Here's the whole latest test log:
    System Information

EFI Specifications	2.31
    CPU type	Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz
    Measured CPU Speed	3403 MHz [Turbo: 3483.4 MHz]
    # Logical Processors	8
    L1 Cache	64K (103896 MB/s)
    L2 Cache	256K (52106 MB/s)
    L3 Cache	8192K (32052 MB/s)
    RAM	8247M (16380 MB/s)
    DIMM #0	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    Mushkin / 992002 (997002)
    9-9-9-24 / 800 MHz / 1.500V
    DIMM #1	4GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
    Mushkin / 992002 (997002)
    9-9-9-24 / 800 MHz / 1.500V
    Result summary

Test Start time	2014-02-15 15:23:01
    Elapsed Time	0:12:02
    Memory Range Tested	0x0 - 21F000000 (8688MB)
    CPU Selection Mode	Single (CPU #0)
    # Tests Passed	8/9 (88%)
    Lowest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Highest Error Address	0x1B707B318 (7024MB)
    Bits in Error Mask	0000000000400000
    Bits in Error	1
    Max Contiguous Errors	1

Test	# Tests                                             Passed	Errors
    Test 0 [Address test, walking ones, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 1 [Address test, own address, 1 CPU]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 2 [Address test, own address]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones & zeroes]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 4 [Moving inversions, 8-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 5 [Moving inversions, random pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]	        1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]	1/1 (100%)	0
    Test 8 [Random number sequence]	        0/1 (0%)	3
    Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]	        0/0 (0%)	0
    Test 10 [Bit fade test, 2 patterns, 1 CPU]	0/0 (0%)	0

Last 10 Errors
    [Data Error] Test: 8, CPU: 0, Address: 1B707B318, Expected: A893369B, Actual: A8D3369B

I'm learning towards RAM, but wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow my motherboard.

With my old desktop I had many errors with RAM in dual-channel but it was fine in single-channel. So that might be something to try.

What's funny is now it's stopped having problems except for one crash in FF14. If it happens again, I'll try single channel and see what happens.

Thanks!

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    new tech thread is locked and loaded for when this gets....locked and loaded

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The Floor is Jelly uses Air; we have an app at work that we wrote in Air which worked okay as far as write-once-run-on-Mac-and-Windows goes, but I don't know if we'd do things that way again -- too many awkward workarounds needed for missing/buggy bits of functionality by the time we were done.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So the s5 is due to be announced next week and rumour has it that they're sticking in a swipe finger scanner with the home button and are trying to add different functions with different swipes and fingers.

Dear every technology company.

We agree with you. Finger scanning is cool technology. We just want individual profiles. That is all.

THE NEW HTC FLAGSHIP PHONE IS RUMOURED TO BE CALLED "THE ALL NEW ONE"

NOT MAKING THIS UP

i love htc right now

Still preferred my idea of just rearranging letters

HTC One
    HTC Neo
    HTC Eon

you're welcome HTC marketing department, this one's free

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    They should just have it sound the same, but spelt differently every new phone.

HTC Won
    HTC Wun
    HTC Wahn
    HTC someone help me out here

Cyvros on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    i want a 750 ti

HTC Hwan
    HTC Huan
    HTC Wuan
    HTC clutching at straws now

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    thought I dorked up my Drobo's additional programs

firmware update and a little SSH voodoo seems to have me back up and running

scary few minutes though

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Oh, man, I'd completely forgotten about Adobe AIR. Does anything still use that?

league of legends front end client

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Oh, man, I'd completely forgotten about Adobe AIR. Does anything still use that?

league of legends front end client

Huh. The more you know. I just remember there being a big fuss about it when it was first announced, then a few AIR applications coming out, then... well, I'd forgotten about its existence entirely.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    THE NEW HTC FLAGSHIP PHONE IS RUMOURED TO BE CALLED "THE ALL NEW ONE"

NOT MAKING THIS UP

i love htc right now

They're not learning, are they?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Probably not the typical question for this kind of thread, and auspicious to have it hit on page 100, but what the hell.

Can anyone recommend a good alarm clock? I got a new one about 2 months back, a cheap deal from target that had two features I want: A digital AM/FM tuner and USB power ports. However, I've learned that getting that so cheaply has other problems - namely, a crappy build quality, a bad interface, and no battery backup/autoconfiguration. It also doesn't have alarm day settings, which is a handy feature my old alarm clock had.

So can anyone recommend a good, affordable alarm clock? I know a lot of people probably use their cell phones, but I tend to need something physical to press in the morning.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Tech thread

I'm typing this on a Dell Venue 8

What do I do

type more.

talk to me about this Ethiopian coffee i got.

no french press yet but tastes good in my machine.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Tech thread

What do I do

How do you like it so far?

psst i'm viewing a secret document about Sony's new wearable that isn't a smartwatch right now

it looks cool god damn there are some things i wanna say about that i probably can't talk about on a public forum

Holy shit Facebook just bought Whatsapp for $16 billion

That's kind of a big deal

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    16 billion

that's money dollars

The chrome scrolling is pretty nice

Already got my drop box
    jgeis wrote: »
    Tech thread

What do I do

How do you like it so far?

Its neat! The Google apps integration should make it pretty easy to deploy a LTE tablet to our people at work.

Need to try adding our MDM solution to it and see how well it locks it down.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So my work laptop is due for replacement next month. It's an HP EliteBook 8540p. Should I go with our replacement model - the EliteBook 850 G1 - or go straight for portability and get a Surface Pro 2? I've had a chance to play with the new EliteBook, but I don't know how much the Surface differs from an actual laptop.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • existexist Registered User regular
    16, 17 bil ain't shit. unimpressed.

UmPiq.png
    Peen wrote: »
    i don't see why not. they have keyboards that work along similar lines.

however i have stumpy thumbs...

to be honost id rather it be a wristband and project down my arm.

exist wrote: »

really? because the last two times Facebook has been in the media for acquisition reasons it's been Instagram (which they got for fucking pennies), and when Snapchat turned them down (which I think was probably silly of Snapchat, 3 billion is what that company is worth)

whereas here i would say whatsapp is probably worth ~16 billion given that 4 of that is cash and the other 12 is in Facebook shares

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    So my work laptop is due for replacement next month. It's an HP EliteBook 8540p. Should I go with our replacement model - the EliteBook 850 G1 - or go straight for portability and get a Surface Pro 2? I've had a chance to play with the new EliteBook, but I don't know how much the Surface differs from an actual laptop.

It depends on what you do. The Surface Pro is good for a few really specific things, but if you need heavy processing you're probably better off with the HP.

really? because the last two times Facebook has been in the media for acquisition reasons it's been Instagram (which they got for fucking pennies), and when Snapchat turned them down (which I think was probably silly of Snapchat, 3 billion is what that company is worth)

whereas here i would say whatsapp is probably worth ~16 billion given that 4 of that is cash and the other 12 is in Facebook shares

My initial reaction was "that's too much damn money", and my second was "eh, whatever".

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I want a Ipad Mini Retina so bad, but $500 for a 32GB is so damn much money.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    psst i'm viewing a secret document about Sony's new wearable that isn't a smartwatch right now

It's an eye piece which allows you to look at someone's power level

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

It depends on what you do. The Surface Pro is good for a few really specific things, but if you need heavy processing you're probably better off with the HP.

My initial reaction was "that's too much damn money", and my second was "eh, whatever".

I have never heard of Whatsapp before so what exactly makes it worth that much? I try and keep reasonably abreast of the smart phone tech but this seems like Skype or hangouts so I am confused.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

I have never heard of Whatsapp before so what exactly makes it worth that much? I try and keep reasonably abreast of the smart phone tech but this seems like Skype or hangouts so I am confused.
    It's text messaging for groups.

Like vibr or wechat

Whatsapp has a user base of 455 million.

It means you are worth 32 dollars.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Ah. I guess that is outside of my needs. Lots of new apps confuse me as to their usage which I guess makes me old. Snapchat for instance I have used but only because a particular friend asked me to. Oh well. In more tech related discussion this will be the first time I have owned a smartphone during the transition from one flagship to the next. When the S5 launches how much will the price on the S4 drop? I doubt I will upgrade immediately but I assume the phone will retain a fairly high selling price yes?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular

At my job we have.. maybe two or three 850 G1s that have worked and two that have just had nothing but problems. The ProBook 650 has been pretty solid so far. I've imaged and sent out quite a few and haven't heard any complaints back.

I'm one of like... two people with an 850 that hasn't been a pain in the ass. It's been pretty nice so far.

Whatsapp is probably the biggest third party messaging app available for smartphones and is available on basically ever platform

that first statement is entirely conjecture but i think it's accurate

They say it's 455 million monthly users or something.

Personally I don't like them!

I'm just happy messaging groups on Facebook. But some people insist on using them so.......

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

no, not really. I had no idea Facebook had anywhere close to that amount of money. I cannot even comprehend buying anything for that much

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    Oh I think Whatsapp is actively not great (probably bad actually) but they're for sure worth a truuuuuckload of dollars

This discussion has been closed.