As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Day 1 East pin-line meet up.

• Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
    GroupMe works great, I've used it before at PAX East last year actually. Great for coordinating a group.

Basically the app works by creating groups of contacts that you name (Ex. Pinny Pals PAX East). Replying to the group sends a message to everyone in the group and keeps it all in one window. Pretty convenient and it's free.

Also I'll add it to the spreadsheet but my twitter handle is nstrassfeld

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Midas244 wrote: »
    Added my info, including my cell/email/real name in case someone wants to call/email/whatever to say hey. No pressure for anyone else to do so as well but I trust you guys.
    Just fyi, these forums are publicly viewable and indexed.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    darkinfero wrote: »
    I'm probably going to make a separate account just for PAX, following only pin pals and the PA staff, just to make it easier to sift through.

My fall back for finding Mike/Jerry will be the autograph session on Sunday, which at Prime they had a bunch of other staff members there trading too, so hopefully that will make life easy.
    I also might do that also just to find people.
    My twitter can get pretty bogged down.
    I saw that you are local, what part of the state do you live in.
    I'm from the northshore.

I'm up near Newburyport myself

zerzhul wrote: »
    Added my info, including my cell/email/real name in case someone wants to call/email/whatever to say hey. No pressure for anyone else to do so as well but I trust you guys.

Well crap. I'll just put my twitter handle on their until the sheet can be protected so only people invited can see it.

Thanks Zerzhul!

Yeah, not saying that someone is going to use your info, just keep in mind that anything you post here is technically public information.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Well crap. I'll just put my twitter handle on their until the sheet can be protected so only people invited can see it.

Thanks Zerzhul!

Thats not something I want to manage. And since contact info is something that would be useful for more then just this PAX, perhaps that is something someone else wants to create and manage. Or I can create a doc and grant admin to whoever wants it to manage. So we can have a sheet for each PAX (or other event) for whos going and one that just has contact infos and some other non-time sensitive stats.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I'm not to worried. It can be easily found on my business card, but I can remove things if you like.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
    edited February 2014
    I'm not saying anyone /should/ be removing things, just be aware that it's publicly accessible and possibly indexed, then make your own decision.

zerzhul on
    I'm probably going to make a separate account just for PAX, following only pin pals and the PA staff, just to make it easier to sift through.

My fall back for finding Mike/Jerry will be the autograph session on Sunday, which at Prime they had a bunch of other staff members there trading too, so hopefully that will make life easy.
    I also might do that also just to find people.
    My twitter can get pretty bogged down.
    I saw that you are local, what part of the state do you live in.
    I'm from the northshore.

I'm up near Newburyport myself
    I'm up in Peabody.

My Pin collection
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    I live in town and am, of course, incredibly interested in this.

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I'll be at PAX East and collecting pins.

• Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'm at a loss as to why we need that information anyway. I think we just need to pick a spot & time to meet up now that we see there is interest.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    I'm at a loss as to why we need that information anyway. I think we just need to pick a spot & time to meet up now that we see there is interest.

We will figure that out shortly. Some people like to get in contact with other pin pals coming to east.
    When I went to prime it was really hard to bump into pin pals who were not at the info desk or meeting up staff to trade pins.

My Pin collection
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Should we maybe consider a way to mark ourselves as pinnypals?

Maybe a sticker... or maybe just the lanyards full of pins will be enough?

Lanyard of pins, I would say I won't wear any pins in till I get a lock back for them

My Pin collection
    Considering I had my lanyard full of pins at Prime with no issues whatsoever, I'm honestly not concerned about them at East.

I'd suggest you get locking backs if you're wearing a lanyard of pins. The backs pop off of larger pins, happened to me a couple of times at prime and others experienced it too. I don't want anyone losing pins as has happened in the past :(

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got these bookmarked for purchase closer to PAX AUS.

• DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I got these bookmarked for purchase closer to PAX AUS.

Same, but I think I bookmarked the 20 pack ^^

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting closer to the event to see how many I'll actually have for trading.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Considering I had my lanyard full of pins at Prime with no issues whatsoever, I'm honestly not concerned about them at East.

There was apparently some poor guy that had his lanyard of pins stolen at the Bohemoth booth at Prime. So it's not beyond the scope of possibility to get your stuff jacked. One of the drawbacks of this last Prime, PAX seems to be getting big enough to draw in some d-bags too.

Imsorad wrote: »
    There was apparently some poor guy that had his lanyard of pins stolen at the Bohemoth booth at Prime. So it's not beyond the scope of possibility to get your stuff jacked. One of the drawbacks of this last Prime, PAX seems to be getting big enough to draw in some d-bags too.
    Damn, that bums me out. Had a lanyard of pins with me at PAX East last year and it was fine (granted Pinny Arcade has exploded since then, so I didn't have as many as I do now), but now I'm not sure if I want to wear my pin lanyard.

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    surette wrote: »
    Damn, that bums me out. Had a lanyard of pins with me at PAX East last year and it was fine (granted Pinny Arcade has exploded since then, so I didn't have as many as I do now), but now I'm not sure if I want to wear my pin lanyard.

To have a lanyard stolen though he would have had to take it off most likely. There are enough enforcers and general people, especially around the Behemoth booth, that I can't see any other way someone could take it.

Grated, that DOES suck immensely and it sucks that there are people who would do that kind of thing....but part of it is you have to be smart about it also. I could always be wrong of course about them having to take it off....but I just don't see how it would have been possible otherwise.

i had a bag stolen from me at prime.
    I will only carry a backpack no no more holding bags.

My Pin collection
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    To have a lanyard stolen though he would have had to take it off most likely. There are enough enforcers and general people, especially around the Behemoth booth, that I can't see any other way someone could take it.

Grated, that DOES suck immensely and it sucks that there are people who would do that kind of thing....but part of it is you have to be smart about it also. I could always be wrong of course about them having to take it off....but I just don't see how it would have been possible otherwise.
    Yeah, true. I would think as long as it's around your neck you're probably good.
    Wow, stolen while you were holding it? Some people are just assholes.

surette wrote: »
    00Fayt00 wrote: »

Yeah, true. I would think as long as it's around your neck you're probably good.
    Wow, stolen while you were holding it? Some people are just assholes.
    I was take photos at prime with different people and someone grab my swag bag with out noticing.

My Pin collection
  • DarthMonachusDarthMonachus Doctor Hershey, PARegistered User regular
    Hey all, I'll be at PAX East (1st one ever, so excited!), but only on Sunday. Stupid work schedule... Do you think there will still be pin sets available and/or pin pal meet ups for trading on Sunday?

Hey all, I'll be at PAX East (1st one ever, so excited!), but only on Sunday. Stupid work schedule... Do you think there will still be pin sets available and/or pin pal meet ups for trading on Sunday?

At Prime they never sold out, so I'm going to assume they're going to cut back on the amount of sets they'll have at East (more than last year but less than Prime 2013 probably).

I'm already grabbing a few sets for people (so I'm pretty much tapped out since I don't want to stand in the Merch line all weekend since they usually limit the amount you can get), but I'm sure there's plenty of kind souls on here who will help you out :D

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think that if PAX exclusive pin sets from the merch booth are in low supply that they'll set aside a certain amount for each day. That way attendees for Saturday or Sunday still have a chance to buy, but I'd get to that merch booth early.

I think that if PAX exclusive pin sets from the merch booth are in low supply that they'll set aside a certain amount for each day. That way attendees for Saturday or Sunday still have a chance to buy, but I'd get to that merch booth early.
    The first thing when I got it was wait in the merch line to get everything. Trust you want your pax scarf and other things that usually get sold out fast.

My Pin collection
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited February 2014

While some exhibitors do this with their giveaways, PA Merch has never (in my recollection) held stuff for each day. Brian's (PA Merch Guy) perfect goal is to sell out just before event close Sunday afternoon. But I'm guessing he would rather sell out early then have extra merch on hand that goes un-sold.

Pins are a bit different though, in that un-sold ones can always be put in the blind boxes when those eventually come out. I'm guessing that is why he felt free to overstock for Prime, and my guess is he will get that same amount or more for East. Keep in mind (as I'm sure he is) while that was the first time Pins were at Prime, this will be the 2nd year for them at East, and the PinPal army is constantly growing.

All that being said. The latest I would ever get in line for stuff I really want is Friday evening after 8pm ish. The lines are usually non-existent and the store is still pretty well stocked. That "should" be safe for pins, for limited edition shirts and what not though, go stand in line very first thing you can.

*edit* grammar

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll definitely be making a beeline for the merch booth as soon I get there on Sunday.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll definitely be making a beeline for the merch booth as soon I get there on Sunday.

Pro-tip. If you are local and have time to stop by (open 10am-midnight), you might stop by Friday or Saturday. Often a badge is not required for the front lobby in the BCEC, and in previous years that is where the non-shirt exclusive stuff was sold. If luck holds true you can get your goodies, and then not worry about them when you come back Sunday and can concentrate on enjoying the rest of PAX.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote: »

Pro-tip. If you are local and have time to stop by (open 10am-midnight), you might stop by Friday or Saturday. Often a badge is not required for the front lobby in the BCEC, and in previous years that is where the non-shirt exclusive stuff was sold. If luck holds true you can get your goodies, and then not worry about them when you come back Sunday and can concentrate on enjoying the rest of PAX.

Last year they only had pins at the merch booth down in the expo hall, unlike Prime.

I also hate how they don't open the merch line at East until 10AM, I like getting my shit at Prime and then hopping in the queue room so I can stare at all my new shit.

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    I bought my Pins at the Merch Booth in the North Lobby. I remember, because Beker was there. The only time I ventured down to the Exhibit Hall was to grab an East Chandra during Expo Hall hours.

Konig Wolf wrote: »
    I bought my Pins at the Merch Booth in the North Lobby. I remember, because Beker was there. The only time I ventured down to the Exhibit Hall was to grab an East Chandra during Expo Hall hours.

So... North Lobby = no badge required? If so that would be awesome. The wife and I are coming to Boston Saturday during the afternoon and I'd love to get my pins then and not have to worry about it on Sunday.

edited February 2014
    So... North Lobby = no badge required? If so that would be awesome. The wife and I are coming to Boston Saturday during the afternoon and I'd love to get my pins then and not have to worry about it on Sunday.

I didn't know that, I seem to recall that they check you as you walk in. Beker's been enforcing much longer then I have and probably knows better though :)

Midas244 on
  • Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular

I didn't know that, I seem to recall that they check you as you walk in. Beker's been enforcing much longer then I have and probably knows better though :)

Registration and Will Call was setup in the North Lobby, so those who needed to pick up their badges would need to be allowed to get in the door. That said, just because it was this way in the past, we may not know until closer to the event or when it begins - like Beker said you might stop by, badges are often not required for the front lobby in the BCEC, and one of the Merch Booths was in the North Lobby in previous years.

The space in the North Lobby toward the back before the entrance to the Expo Hall (where they do check for badges), is well suited for the secondary Merch Booth, so I don't think it will change. Can't make any guarantees of course.

edited February 2014

When the crowds are high, ie mornings, they are often checking at the door, but those without badges are still allowed in, they are just pointed toward Registration or Info Booth, since some legitimately need to still pick up their badges. But as the day goes and the crowds entering decrease they pull those staff to monitor the actual badge check area's.

Anyway, things could always change, but unless Registration is moved out of the building, they will have to at least let you in that far.

And yes, the Merch booths are virtually identical at the start, except the upper one does not have all the regular PA shirts you can buy at the online store like the expo one does. As the weekend goes on and stocks run low, stuff is often consolidated into one or the other.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    I'll be at East, but wont be flying in till Saturday.
    I'm definitely up for meeting up with people and doing some trading.