As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Did You Know that your Titan can also be used as a [Giant Bomb]

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    That bums me out to learn! I was excited for MWO, but I don't have a machine that can run it.

They had a lot of good ideas, at least on paper. But it seems like a lot of them didn't make it in or have botched implementations.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    some of you dorks were interested in the boringly titled Star Wars Attack Squadrons, right?

invite code for the closed beta goin' on now is CBT3FRIENDS1TO500

(no, seriously!)

seems like there's some potential there, although it is a very beta-feeling beta- no music, kinda awkward menus* and not a lot of explanation. Team dogfights are pretty fun though?

*(Also since this confused me- upgrades only show up in your inventory when you're on a ship that can actually use them)

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    after trying Galactic Starfighters from SW:TOR I hope Attack Squadrons is good

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    That bums me out to learn! I was excited for MWO, but I don't have a machine that can run it.

They had a lot of good ideas, at least on paper. But it seems like a lot of them didn't make it in or have botched implementations.

Its really fun to play sometimes and the engine scales better now but it is shitty with the mechcredits currency nonsesne and having to play so much with each variant of each chassis to even make a reasonable build for that chassis...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    some of you dorks were interested in the boringly titled Star Wars Attack Squadrons, right?

(no, seriously!)

seems like there's some potential there, although it is a very beta-feeling beta- no music, kinda awkward menus* and not a lot of explanation. Team dogfights are pretty fun though?

*(Also since this confused me- upgrades only show up in your inventory when you're on a ship that can actually use them)

woah.....

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    !

if i'm reading this FAQ right, Mantis doesn't vanish and respawn during his energy balls, he just turns invisible and physically moves to one of the points he can shoot them from

you can shoot him while he's moving

this may or may not change everything

oh

this trick only works if you have the thermal goggles and can see him moving

if he's invisible to you he's untouchable

shit

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Who wants to hear part 1 of why they should not watch Sword Art Online

I wrote words

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Speed if you don't just start over and make sure to get everything you're gonna have a bad time.

sig.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    T4CT wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »

(no, seriously!)

woah.....

This feels like it has potential.

More like and alpha also.

Also also, it's more like Rogue Squadron, so YAY!

Tallahasseeriel on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I wrote words

1: It is an anime

liEt3nH.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

I wrote words

2: Anime's for jerks

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Aw man

Jeff didnt get nearly deep enough into TPP

I want to hear Vinnys reaction to the crazy religion they have made

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »

I wrote words

2: Anime's for jerks

I do hate the vast majority of anime out there for the utter tripe that seems to be a standard part of the package

What draws my special ire towards SAO is that it hid its cliche anime stupidity behind an awesome beginning

Should I post part 1 now or wait till i have the whole thing under wraps

Somestickguy on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Brad's trying to figure out the Dragon God.

This could be fun.

Twitch just got Hitmonlee

Twitch just released Hitmonlee

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Yeah Speed if I were you I would print out a literal checklist for your run and mark things off as you get them.

Otherwise you are just going to keep getting hosed by not having item X for part Y over and over.

This is going to be tough enough to pull off even with all the right gear.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The Order 1886 gameplay footage:

http://youtu.be/57yGx-sBgHA

The actual mechanics seem rather...standard, but damn if it doesn't look pretty.

• ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    been watching a four swords adventures let's play

this game is ridiculous

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Four swords adventure produced some of the best times I've had gaming with friends, I love it dearly

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    NaissanceE is likely my favorite Blade Runner homage

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    Twitch just got Hitmonlee

Twitch just released Hitmonlee

do you think everyone will stick around after they bring forth and immediately release their god?

FqmsaJ6.png
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    The Order 1886 gameplay footage:

http://youtu.be/57yGx-sBgHA

The actual mechanics seem rather...standard, but damn if it doesn't look pretty.
    Now that's a good looking game.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    @bluedude152 when did they add the random stats thing for Hawken?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the order is very graphically impressive but man is it really just a cover shooter

PNk1Ml4.png
    No idea

I was just reading through their stuff on how buying things works now and it mentioned that each mech is slightly different

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah Speed if I were you I would print out a literal checklist for your run and mark things off as you get them.

Otherwise you are just going to keep getting hosed by not having item X for part Y over and over.

This is going to be tough enough to pull off even with all the right gear.

my position has been

go in blind and relying on memory, consult guides when stuck or when i hit a point that has the potential to be a huge timesink, and if i get to the end without going fast enough, then i use the knowledge i've learned plus the stealth camouflage it'll bag me to blitz through a second run in no time flat

like vulcan raven took forfucking ever to beat the first time but now that i understand how the fight works i'm confident i could nail him in a few tries

same with cyborg ninja

ocelot... not so much

No idea

I was just reading through their stuff on how buying things works now and it mentioned that each mech is slightly different

That is like

A pretty good way to ensure I don't pick the game back up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    i don't want to feel like i am just slavishly sticking to a guide

because that takes some of the magic out of the accomplishment

Also in mechanics Uncharted and Spec Ops are "Just" cover shooters so I'm gonna reserve judgement

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    NaissanceE looked pretty damn cool. Agree with the Alien vibe. Especially the parts with rotating lights.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What exactly are the issues folks have with cover shooters?

This isn't a snarky loaded question, by the way. I'm legitimately curious.

Also in mechanics Uncharted and Spec Ops are "Just" cover shooters so I'm gonna reserve judgement
    Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it being a cover shooter.
    It just needs to be a good cover shooter.

i don't want to feel like i am just slavishly sticking to a guide

because that takes some of the magic out of the accomplishment

That's totally fair! And also this way I get more footage of you failing.

So really it is win win!

<3

Yeah, we need more details before we can even start making informed guesses, let alone anything near judgements.

What they have shown so far gameplay wise has not been special, but showing off gameplay stuff doesn't really seem like the focus yet.

The game is absolutely gorgeous, and if the writing is good enough (I don't think we know much yet on that front either) that could be enough to carry it even with bog standard gameplay.

But man if they can get the trifecta going of story, graphics and gameplay that will be an amazing game.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

well, you know how you like ice cream?

well what if you had to eat ice cream every day for the last 10 years

and then someone came out and said "hey look at this new ice cream! it's the exact same but it looks prettier! oh and it requires a $400 scoop"

Personally, now that the novelty has fallen off, they tend to be very dull and formulaic. It is mainly the combo of cover, when properly aligned, giving 100% protection and you have regenerating health, meaning that combat is basically whack a mole where all you have to do is remember to tuck back it once you have taken enough damage. It just becomes really mechanically repetitive. It also leads to repeated level designs via cover set pieces and whatnot.

That is not to say, of course, that there are not good, exciting, great cover shooters out there. Just that the base, core mechanics in and of themselves feel tired at this point. You can still do interesting stuff with it though.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It's funny because with The Order the exact moment I saw the character models I realized it was a cover shooter. I wonder why cover shooter protagonists have that one very specific body type.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

well, you know how you like ice cream?

well what if you had to eat ice cream every day for the last 10 years

and then someone came out and said "hey look at this new ice cream! it's the exact same but it looks prettier! oh and it requires a $400 scoop"

Well, if I'm going to buy the $400 scoop anyway, I might as well pick up some ice cream while I'm at it

For example, Vanquish is a cover shooter, at some level, but cover can be destroyed and you get bonuses for leaping out of the cover to attack.

Which reminds me that I really need to play Vanquish, I got through the tutorial and that is about it before I had to leave. And now my copy is an ocean away.

This discussion has been closed.