As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well let's not say things we can't take back, here

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    At least it seems like Courtney can hold together an American accent.

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That was a little harsh actually, sorry Jai.

Isn't he of a similar standard to Sam Worthington?

PSN- AHermano
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well let's not say things we can't take back, here

edited February 2014
    I'd forgotten Alan Taylor was directing, hmm.

Emilia Clarke could be a decent Sarah Connor too, who knows

Although they had fucking Christian Bale in the last one and it didn't help so I don't know why I'm getting my hopes up

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I mean

Terminator is one of the few franchises which it almost makes sense to reboot, what with it involving time travel

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don't want a new terminator movie.

The original was sci fi horror movie movie. That worked. This is probably going to just be some kind of high speed rip off of terminator 2.

Terminator 2 is a Good Movie. No doubt. But the things that made Terminator good did not necessarily make the second movie good and vice versa.

I don't mind the idea of them starting over really, how do you replace Ahnold though, he pretty much is those films

PSN- AHermano
    Also words do not express how much I do not give a shit about Sam worth ingrown. (Auto correct did that, in leaving it as is)

Thinking about it more.

The reason why I don't like the reboot is this.

Terminator 2 is the most successful movie. It is an action movie. As are 3 and 4 kinda (fuck I don't really know what salvation really is).

The franchise started off though as a horror movie. It was two people, with inefficient weapons up against an unstoppable killing machine.

Horror movies don't make as much money as action movies though. James Cameron got green lighted for terminator as he did it on a smaller budget than an action movie would have gotten.

Now that terminator is a franchise and is a big deal. Most likely. Studio executives won't want to waste money making a tiny movie with a small scope and a slightly smaller scope when they could just make a big dumb expensive movie and please a lot of people.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    sam worthington is human white noise

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I made a post about the Terminator reboot and it doesn't show up in this thread.

I think I'm hallucinating so I go to my profile and click on my posts.

There is my post, in this thread, that I remember making.

I click on it. And it pulls up the previous page of the thread, but the post is not there.

What the hell Skynet Geth?

@Hermano they are not replacing Arnold!
    Arnold is confirmed to be in it

Thus I don't think it's a hard reboot but the continuity is questionable, I assume due to time travel

the speculation is that Arnold will be playing a human upon whom the T-800 is based

As far as what Blake is saying, while I like both of the first two movies for entirely separate reasons, much like the first two Alien movies I find that the second installment is the one I am far more likely to want to watch at a given time

Alien suffers from the problem all successful horror films suffer from: the outcome is known via public osmosis, and therefore the tension and suspense is lost.

Weaver was an unknown when the film first came out. The Xenomorph was an unknown when hte film first came out. You didn't expect her to be the survivor, and you sure didn't know what the Xenomorph looked like.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's a shame because they worked so hard at making sure each character was on the same level as the others, but now anyone watching it is thinking "she's the main character."

Success being the destroyer of a horror film's potency is something that I think should be addressed in a serious analysis but I'm not sure if anyone has actually done such a thing.

I'd do it but who would pay me to put the time into writing it, eh?

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Isn't he just a shitter version of Sam Worthington

how is that possible

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Alien suffers from the problem all successful horror films suffer from: the outcome is known via public osmosis, and therefore the tension and suspense is lost.

Weaver was an unknown when the film first came out. The Xenomorph was an unknown when hte film first came out. You didn't expect her to be the survivor, and you sure didn't know what the Xenomorph looked like.

Eh......

To an extent.

I watched the original. And you might know that ripley survives. But it doesn't really matter. It's still enjoyable. And I can remind myself that I shouldn't "know" what the alien looks like yet so I can enjoy the peaks of the tail and whatnot.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I like Alien as an exploration and reflection on the hideous, gruesome nature of reproduction & life.

The film is ultimately about biology and how disgusting it is.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I still vividly remember in my "Monsters in Film" class in college where I was literally the only student in the class trying to defend the merits of Alien. I know at least a couple other folks there appreciated the film but I was the only one who dared to speak up against those who called it "boring" and claimed that "nothing happened in the first half hour".

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I just googled "screen time alien" trying to find out exactly how much focus there is on Ripley throughout the movie.

This was the second google result.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Alien is a good movie.

And it's not about the destination IMO it is about the horrifying journey.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I still vividly remember in my "Monsters in Film" class in college where I was literally the only student in the class trying to defend the merits of Alien. I know at least a couple other folks there appreciated the film but I was the only one who dared to speak up against those who called it "boring" and claimed that "nothing happened in the first half hour".

Good lord!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I've been told Back to The Future is boring.

Uriel wrote: »
    I've been told Back to The Future is boring.

whatthe.jpg

That man was literally insane I think.

He thought that the best action film ever was Transformers.

He liked the prequels more than the Original Trilogy and he saw the first movie in THEATERS in 77.

Zonugal wrote: »

Good lord!

I know, right? It's like I was the only one who could recognize that the permutation of popular culture does not mean the dilution of the original work renders it somehow less powerful!

Fuckin' Philistines probably would've dismissed Lord of the Rings as generic/derivative.

I need to find some time to watch the original robocop movie again.

That man was literally insane I think.

He thought that the best action film ever was Transformers.

He liked the prequels more than the Original Trilogy and he saw the first movie in THEATERS in 77.

I am the forum post equivalent of speechless.

Then the teacher failed everyone right?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I need to find some time to watch the original robocop movie again.

I just watched it last night

It is still great

I wish I could see Star Wars in Theaters...

I wish I could see Star Wars in Theaters...

I was legitimately looking forward to the inevitable 3D rereleases. I kind of wish Disney had gone ahead with them.

(I like transformers. And parts of transformers 3)

(I will admit that they are not good movies though)

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I saw the special editions in theaters when that happened. I don't think my mom was going to pass up an attempt to see those movies again.

edited February 2014
    He said they were better than Die Hard. It was at this point I should have asked him to kindly remove himself from my presence...

Tallahasseeriel on
    I'm not personally entertained by Transformers, but as a "well this is a bunch of dumb robots punching each other for a couple of hours", it's okay enough

But the idea of it being the best anything is what blows my mind, let alone best action movie

They're not even the best giant robot action movies!

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I also saw the special editions in theatres.

fuck the special editions

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I would have settled for the Special Editions probably.

Even though I grew up with some scifi channel recordings on VHS tapes...

Enemy Mine was on the same tape with A New Hope...

This discussion has been closed.