As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wish I could see Star Wars in Theaters...

I've heard they are coming back to theaters for May the fourth day.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I've heard they are coming back to theaters for May the fourth day.

I swear to got Blake if you are fucking with me or if that is only aussieland I will never forgive you.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I still vividly remember in my "Monsters in Film" class in college where I was literally the only student in the class trying to defend the merits of Alien. I know at least a couple other folks there appreciated the film but I was the only one who dared to speak up against those who called it "boring" and claimed that "nothing happened in the first half hour".

Then the teacher failed everyone right?

I almost wish so but no

I probably was the only one on the exact same wavelength as the teacher, though

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I also saw the special editions in theatres.

fuck the special editions

right now? I'm on board with you

when I was 12? that shit was raaaad

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

that was a good time back in '97

how old were you then?

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The Special Editions were the ones I actually grew up on, so I didn't mind them so much

I didn't even notice all the stuff like Greedo shooting first or the changed Ewok songs until someone pointed them out (though I still don't mind the latter so much)

that was a good time back in '97

how old were you then?

Ten but we didn't get to see a lot of movies at the time and since we had the VHS recordings and my dad had a health scare that year if I remember correctly we didn't go.

The biggest deal with the special editions to me is the out of place transistion edits.

Like extra CGI creatures or more junk piles in Mos Eisly that are all really poorly digitally matted into the old frames.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I saw the Special Edition in theaters in '97and it was my very first time seeing Star Wars and whatever came after, I will always have been super psyched to see them on a big screen

Besides, the first bunch of changes made in the special editions are not that egregious, compared to some of the blu-ray changes

The biggest deal with the special editions to me is the out of place transistion edits.

Like extra CGI creatures or more junk piles in Mos Eisly that are all really poorly digitally matted into the old frames.

That'd probably stand out to me more now

At the time it was incredible, though

I wish they would just release the original cuts remastered on Blu-Ray already

edited February 2014
    A lot of my initial problem with the prequels were the visual differences, since I was too young to realize how bad the story and character arcs were in contrast.

But the visual style was horrid and in my mind anything that drew visual links between the two trilogies were kinda painfully shoehorned in and offensive.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm really curious if Disney might actually dig up the original versions that Lucas refused to release.

Heck, I'd be happy with them re-releasing Tartakovsky's unjustly buried Clone Wars series.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I've never even seen the blu-ray changes.

I washed my hands of them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've never even seen the blu-ray changes.

I washed my hands of them.

They get pretty egregious

Darth Vader screams NOOOOOOOOOOO when the Emperor is electrocuting Luke

At the end of ROTJ you see Hayden Christensen's smug face as a force ghost instead of the actor who was originally there

It's all kinds of terrible

Like any of the starships in the prequels just didn't look star warsy to me. Too sleek and clean and smooth.

They looked new, like, something that would come after the stuff in say, Empire.

It didn't make sense.

The fact is they also looked cheap to me even at the time, they didn't look real, when kid anikin got into the naboo starfighter it looked like one of my mighty max playsets or something... cartoony. Although that appealed to me a little, I was kinda peved to get a naboo starfighter lego set instead of say a Y-wing...

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've only read about the blu-ray changes myself

Preeety sure the changed Old Ben's screech at the beginning of 4

AND Pretty sure they changed the sound of the spy drones in Empire.

I'm sure they'll put out original versions of the trilogy on Blu Ray at some point, mostly because Disney likes to make money

Then again, I'm not 100% sure they have the rights to distribute those six movies? I thought I heard something about how they weren't in control of those

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like any of the starships in the prequels just didn't look star warsy to me. Too sleek and clean and smooth.

They looked new, like, something that would come after the stuff in say, Empire.

It didn't make sense.

The fact is they also looked cheap to me even at the time, they didn't look real, when kid anikin got into the naboo starfighter it looked like one of my mighty max playsets or something... cartoony. Although that appealed to me a little, I was kinda peved to get a naboo starfighter lego set instead of say a Y-wing...
    I liked the design actually.

That was a period of long peace so people didn't really give a fuck about war, they wanted a nice looking ship and the design reflected that.

As the prequels went on the designs became more and more industrial as they had less time to think about the aesthetics and needed to produce faster.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    didnt they change Boba's voice to make him sound like Jango

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup, they re-dubbed all the (very few) lines he had in ESB and ROTJ. Sounds way less cool now.

It didn't make sense.

I liked the design actually.

That was a period of long peace so people didn't really give a fuck about war, they wanted a nice looking ship and the design reflected that.

As the prequels went on the designs became more and more industrial as they had less time to think about the aesthetics and needed to produce faster.

It wasn't totally rational.

Considering I was like 11 or 12.

I know they looked like toys though, and that just wasn't as appealing to me in the long term and I knew they wouldn't last in my memory. Like I can only remember the naboo starfighter and the droid fighter because I had the lego sets.

Yup, they re-dubbed all the (very few) lines he had in ESB and ROTJ. Sounds way less cool now.

That wouldn't have bothered me much.

IF Jango's Actor hadn't phoned it in or almost sounded like he was disinterested in dubbing those lines.

man, I hope Episode VII is good

I really really want to love Star Wars again

I still Love Star Wars.

Just... Star Wars Empire and Return of the Jedi... I may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater given those clone wars cartoons now and some of my childhood memories of the video games. But I can say I think there are ONLY 3 star wars things.

I say this about New Zealanders all the time.

This is one of my pet peeves of Star Wars though. Everyone from the same place has the same accent. If earth was in the Star Wars universe, we'd all sound the same as well.

I feel the same way about Trek.

Voyager and Enterprise don't matter.

Rogue squadron was awesome back in the n64 days.

I'd play it through so much.

I actually have lots of Star Wars things I like

I'm handpicking my way through the EU right now, and so far I've enjoyed Star Wars: Scoundrels and the first book of the Thrawn trilogy (even though since it's EU, it reads like fanfiction)

Star Wars Battlefront 2 might be the game I've spent the most time playing, or it's at least in the top three

And the original Clone Wars cartoon was badass

I don't mean to sound like one of those "they're ruining my childhood!" idiots, but I do feel like they've been working to extinguish any good feelings I have towards Star Wars for the past decade and a half, or so. Shit, it might have even started as early as Episode I, though I didn't really realize it at the time. I was super excited for it! And I'm pretty sure I did like it. But I guess something must have been off, because it took me months to get around to seeing Episode II. And I know I was wary about Episode III. I think...I think Episode I was the last time I was legitimately excited for new Star Wars stuff. I've liked Star Wars stuff since, but it hasn't really been the same, I guess.

It makes me sad, I guess. There are a lot of things from my childhood that I still really appreciate and enjoy today, but with Star Wars, I can't really even go back and watch them as they were when I was a kid. Shit, I can't even really settle for the Special Editions, since they aren't really available. And the prequels were bad, and they started putting out crap like the Force Unleashed, and then the books got fucked up a lot of my favorite characters...it's a huge bummer! I'm not even angry, really. I'm just...really bummed out by how much I don't care about it anymore.

I know there's a lot of really good reasons that I should be wary of a big company like Disney owning more and more of these huge franchises, but honestly...I think it's absolutely the best thing that could happen for Star Wars. I don't... I don't want to make it sound like I'm hoping they make me feel like a kid again, or anything cheesy like that, but I really would like to see the words "Star Wars" and actually kind of give a crap, again.

The Star Wars roleplaying games from Fantasy Flight Games (Edge of the Empire especially, although Age of Rebellion is probably great too) has done a lot to rekindle my love of the property.

The Star Wars roleplaying games from Fantasy Flight Games (Edge of the Empire especially, although Age of Rebellion is probably great too) has done a lot to rekindle my love of the property.

I've heard really good things about it. I definitely want to give it a shot sometime.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

This is one of my pet peeves of Star Wars though. Everyone from the same place has the same accent. If earth was in the Star Wars universe, we'd all sound the same as well.

To be fair, I don't think the accent problem was so much associated with where they were from, but rather who they were associated with.

Rebels = American / Imperials = British being the obvious examples.

Well it's part of growing up really. You do become less interested in things you liked as a kid.

Star Wars though literally turned into the marvel or a dc universe though. There is a lot of it! And that's great for people who just want to drown in it. But there is a lot of shit out there too. Best you can do is ignore the shit and enjoy the stuff you do enjoy.

Vivienne and I have just gotten into the Star Wars miniature table top game and I dig it. There no real backstory just the glorious empire versus rebel scum.

Veldrin wrote: »

To be fair, I don't think the accent problem was so much associated with where they were from, but rather who they were associated with.

The trade federation had pretty insulting Asian accents.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Actually most Imperials sound British because it is the accent of someone born in Coruscant.

Quire.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

The trade federation had pretty insulting Asian accents.

Oh right, yeah.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about the original trilogy.

I've got Edge of the Empire, and I ran the starter adventure, but I'm not good enough at improvising stuff to really utilize that system well enough. And nobody else is going to run a Star Wars game in our group. The X-Wing Miniatures game is pretty cool, but I don't have the money to get what I'd really want out of it, which sucks.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The OT didn't really give alien race's "hats" did they?

Quire.jpg
    Xwing is a game where you can spend an extra hundred bucks on it without blinking.

But you can also buy the starter set for like thirty bucks and crack out a game and have some fun.

This discussion has been closed.