As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    didnt they change Boba's voice to make him sound like Jango

Yup, they re-dubbed all the (very few) lines he had in ESB and ROTJ. Sounds way less cool now.

I say this about New Zealanders all the time.

This is one of my pet peeves of Star Wars though. Everyone from the same place has the same accent. If earth was in the Star Wars universe, we'd all sound the same as well.

To be fair, I don't think the accent problem was so much associated with where they were from, but rather who they were associated with.

Rebels = American / Imperials = British being the obvious examples.

Actually most Imperials sound British because it is the accent of someone born in Coruscant.

Coruscant actually reminds me of something from the first book in the Thrawn trilogy

I mean they were some of the (if not the) first books written post-ROTJ, right?

And it shows, because there are a lot of things that ended up being straight-up contradicted by the prequels later

One of them is the description of Coruscant, where in the book it mentions that there are mountains that Luke can see from the top of one of the buildings, as opposed to it all inexplicably being one giant city

There's other, bigger ones, like what the Clone Wars even were, or how long the Empire had been around before Luke was born, stuff like that

And it all feels incredibly weird for me, since I (essentially) grew up with the prequel trilogy having already been out, seeing a much different, much better take on things (barring the thing with the clones where they have an extra vowel so you can tell they're a clone)

It just feels so optimistic for the future of this franchise, and it's like traveling back in time a little.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that they are still using the terrible Trade Federation accents in the Clone Wars series today.

That's a really, really good Lando impression

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yup, they re-dubbed all the (very few) lines he had in ESB and ROTJ. Sounds way less cool now.

This is one of my pet peeves of Star Wars though. Everyone from the same place has the same accent. If earth was in the Star Wars universe, we'd all sound the same as well.

To be fair, I don't think the accent problem was so much associated with where they were from, but rather who they were associated with.

Actually most Imperials sound British because it is the accent of someone born in Coruscant.

That's my point though.

The entire planet has the same accent.

Not even the entirety of the British isles have the same accent.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mostly miss the Decipher CCG.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

That's my point though.

The entire planet has the same accent.

Not even the entirety of the British isles have the same accent.

Yes I was arguing against the person who said that accents have to do with the characters side and not their home planet.

Quire.jpg
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Sorry its a bit late but talking about Bill Murray, I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Nice guy but he likes to fuck with people and use Ghostbuster quotes from the other characters.

Also, I'm not sure if I have faith in Star Wars movies any more. Games, shows, table top games, sure. But I hate JJ Lensflare directing it and hearing that we aren't following Han and Leia's kids (yet) but instead going to follow Old Man Luke and Han is really killing me. If this becomes a DBZ thing where we kill Luke to make way for
    Ben
    only to revive Luke like a Jesus Goku then JJ will be on my egg hit list along with Stefen Fangmeier and M. Night Shyamalan.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    You...sure are making a whole lot of assumptions about a movie that we barely know any details about.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited February 2014
    Sorry its a bit late but talking about Bill Murray, I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Nice guy but he likes to fuck with people and use Ghostbuster quotes from the other characters.

Also, I'm not sure if I have faith in Star Wars movies any more. Games, shows, table top games, sure. But I hate JJ Lensflare directing it and hearing that we aren't following Han and Leia's kids (yet) but instead going to follow Old Man Luke and Han is really killing me. If this becomes a DBZ thing where we kill Luke to make way for
    Ben
    only to revive Luke like a Jesus Goku then JJ will be on my egg hit list along with Stefen Fangmeier and M. Night Shyamalan.

Assuming any of that even has a chance seems weird. When did it get confirmed that we're following Luke? Why would you want to follow Luke's kids?

Also JJ being apart of the project is a big part of why I'm on board.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Yeah, fuck J.J. Abrams, he sure doesn't know how to make movies based on beloved science fiction properties

Yeah, fuck J.J. Abrams, he sure doesn't know how to make movies based on beloved science fiction properties

I, uh, think he might be one of the people who hate the Abrams Trek movies. If so I can see why he isn't interested in an Abrams Star Wars trilogy.

Quire.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why would that even remotely be the plot?

Stilts wrote: »
    You...sure are making a whole lot of assumptions about a movie that we barely know any details about.

Well, looking at JJ's work on Star Trek +hearing about the script being rewritten because he didn't like it +production getting pushed back +Disney owning Star Wars= a lot of variables that worry me.

Well, looking at JJ's work on Star Trek +hearing about the script being rewritten because he didn't like it +production getting pushed back +Disney owning Star Wars= a lot of variables that worry me.

Which was pretty great?

IKknkhU.gif

Because any of those things have a good chance of degrading the franchise's sterlingly consistent legacy of greatness?

Why in the world would Disney being involved worry you?

Quire.jpg

I, uh, think he might be one of the people who hate the Abrams Trek movies. If so I can see why he isn't interested in an Abrams Star Wars trilogy.

I don't hate the new Star Trek movies so much as I hate the fact I can't see them because of the lighting effects. He did tone it down in Into Darkness but that movie felt flat because of the weakness of the characters.

Well, in the case of the lens flare, I think I might actually love that effect as much as J.J. Abrams does

That's totally a taste thing though

Well, in the case of the lens flare, I think I might actually love that effect as much as J.J. Abrams does

Picture this: lens-flare sabers.

IKknkhU.gif

I'm pretty sure my heart just skipped a beat for a second there

I definitely didn't find it distracting in the least and the idea that everything flares because its the bright, amazing future appeals to me.

Quire.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Death Star 3 with a GIANT superlaser lens flare

The only thing I dislike about Disney taking over so far is the cancellation of the gaming division.

I'm so so about throwing out the EU. I mean it's not like the stories don't exist anymore so you can still read them. But it's also an opportunity to create new stuff with characters that no longer have any room to have new stories written about them.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The only thing I dislike about Disney taking over so far is the cancellation of the gaming division.

I'm so so about throwing out the EU. I mean it's not like the stories don't exist anymore so you can still read them. But it's also an opportunity to create new stuff with characters that no longer have any room to have new stories written about them.

They weren't doing enough with the gaming division for it to be that much of a loss, honestly. And I'm pretty sure EA is making new Star Wars games which...I dunno how that's gonna go

Oh that and with jj abrhams on board we aren't going to get any more star treks with super super sweet lens flares.

That's a bummer.

I don't hate the new Star Trek movies so much as I hate the fact I can't see them because of the lighting effects. He did tone it down in Into Darkness but that movie felt flat because of the weakness of the characters.

Be honest. Are you a vampire?

They weren't doing enough with the gaming division for it to be that much of a loss, honestly. And I'm pretty sure EA is making new Star Wars games which...I dunno how that's gonna go

I'm at least looking forward to DICE making the next Battlefront

That's a smart match

Or maybe a whaaaaaa-mpire?

They were making that sweet third person one called like 1311 or something.

edited February 2014
    Oh that and with jj abrhams on board we aren't going to get any more star treks with super super sweet lens flares.

That's a bummer.

If only we were losing the writers aswell. Then it might be an even trade.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Star Trek movies rule!

Differing opinions drool!

If nothing else the Star Trek movies are really fun adventures in space

Which is all I want a Star Wars movie to be

Have you seen the guardians of the galaxy trailer?

My reaction. Oh sweet. Space pirate movie.

As soon as I typed "fun space adventure" I thought "man, why doesn't Disney just have Marvel make the next Star Wars"

Star Trek movies aren't perfect though. Shit like Kirk getting demoted, and then reinstated to his same position 10 minutes later is some dumb story telling.

But everything about them is so much fun I forgive them.

If nothing else the Star Trek movies are really fun adventures in space

Which is all I want a Star Wars movie to be

Totally. I'm not saying that Star Trek movies arn't good. Just that they are good despite the writers and largely on the back of the Director and actors.

So Yeah I'm pretty excited for a Star Wars movie with JJ at the helm and Kasdan writing.

Quire.jpg

Lens Flares are kinda a peraonal problem for me as I had to leave the theater because my eyes where hurting too much.

Later when it come out on DVD I disliked them as they kinda blinded the action and looked very unnatural compared to glare you see on your windshield. Plus, meta reason, why do we see them? We are suppose to be invisible ghosts viewing these events, not people in a glass bubble.

But that's just me.

As soon as I typed "fun space adventure" I thought "man, why doesn't Disney just have Marvel make the next Star Wars"

Stan Lee already does enough camos, let the man have a break every now and then.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

They were making that sweet third person one called like 1311 or something.

The revelation that it was going to be about Boba Fett kinda made me a little bit less dissapointed that it was cancelled.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I know I'm definitely in the minority with actually liking lens flare

I will say that I hated the amount of shaky cam Into Darkness had. The fight with the Klingons was actually straight up impossible for me to follow watching in IMAX

This discussion has been closed.