As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    The only phones we know about are the Galaxy S5 will probably be announced next week at MWC and a new HTC One is going to be officially announced at the end of March.

If you're going to buy the phone outright those will probably be in the $550-700 range versus the Moto X at $330. Something to keep in mind.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, indeed. It's weighing the "well my gnex still runs fine" against "but I like new shiny and this is a good price." If my gnex was broken I would just do it, but every time I go to buy one I just look at my phone and think "well but this old one still works."

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You could try to get a fresh OEM battery for it if you want to hold on to it for a bit longer...

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    or wrap the battery in saran wrap and paper towels and stick it in the back of your freezer for like a day so the chemicals all reset

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Tablet dilemma solved. Boss is going to give me his old Surface since he got a Surface 2. It's not a new tablet, but it's also not going to cost me any money.

Edit: And I can't trade my work laptop for a Surface 2 apparently. So my choice is another laptop.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    So I just got this bad boy

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook.html#specs

And I like it! It is the bridge between speed/size/battery/price I have been waiting for

It was stupidly hard to get a hold of it in Canada. None of our stores sell the latest model (Haswell, 4 gigs of ram, etc) so I was on a waiting list with Acer for months

Due to the fact I work all day, and my work does not accept general deliveries due to security issues, when it finally arrived it was being held at a place so out of the way I had to rent a fucking car to go get it

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    handing down touch screens seems gross

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

clean them off first?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »

clean them off first?

The mall over here has a smartphone charging station that also UVs every device to kill germs.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    So I just got this bad boy

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook.html#specs

And I like it! It is the bridge between speed/size/battery/price I have been waiting for

It was stupidly hard to get a hold of it in Canada. None of our stores sell the latest model (Haswell, 4 gigs of ram, etc) so I was on a waiting list with Acer for months

Due to the fact I work all day, and my work does not accept general deliveries due to security issues, when it finally arrived it was being held at a place so out of the way I had to rent a fucking car to go get it

I have the 2 gig model and it's really nice. I like the feel of the keyboard and the battery life is pretty crazy. I really need to get a SD card for it though as my Linux install killed the hard drive space.

You should try pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Refresh sometime.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Replacing my S3 with a Note 3 either today or in a month depending on some factors.

• Options
    Chrome books own fyi

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Getting my Note 3 now!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I need to buy my brother a new sim card kit so I can give him my Galaxy S3 still.

• Options
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/22/5437150/samsung-drops-android-for-tizen-in-new-gear-2-smartwatches

This is kind of a big deal!!!!!!

(the switching to Tizen, I don't really care for a new samsung smartwatch)

• Options
    Loving this Note 3 right now.

Should I get a Gear? I'm very tempted.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    They just announced the new ones, I'd wait. The giant camera on the current Gear looks capital S stupid.

• Options
    I don't want to spend a ton of money though. If they discount the old one below 150 I'll grab one

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I am thinking of getting the nexus 5. I'm not liking my galaxy exhibit 2 anymore. Its slow and and frustrating to use sometimes.
    Besides no bloatware and being a bit cheaper... what are the benefits of buying an n5 from the google play store?
    I'm on tmobile right now.

• Options
    it's unlocked and comes in red

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I need a new phone!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I need a new phone!

What phone are you currently using, and do you generally like it? What do you need/want out of a phone?

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I need a new phone!

What phone are you currently using, and do you generally like it? What do you need/want out of a phone?

I have a Droid 3. I like it enough, but now its performance is terrible. I mostly got it because it had the slide-out keyboard, but I realize that's something I need to give up on.

I heard the Samsung Galaxy S5 was going to come out soon, so I thought that could be something. I found that out while researching the Galaxy S4.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, the S5 should get fully revealed in the next like 24 hours I think, at MWC. If you're on a contract the S5 could be the way to go, it will certainly be the newest Android phone.

If you aren't tied to a contract the Nexus 5 is always a solid choice. If you want something smaller in the same price point there is the Moto X, which I personally feel is a lateral move outside of the general spec-wars.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My iphone 4 is starting to show its age. I'm thinking of waiting until Apple shows the next iphone before making the decision on a replacement.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I just started fiddling with Tasker. Share with me your clever profiles! I've got one that mimics the Moto X's camera shake function and even works when the screen is off! It's a little unreliable but it's cool.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    or wrap the battery in saran wrap and paper towels and stick it in the back of your freezer for like a day so the chemicals all reset
    wait what

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    wait what

yeah, what?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    wait what

yeah, what?

Well... You see... What?

• Options
    The paper towel and Saran Wrap is to prevent potential water damage from your freezer

Otherwise yup that super works

You've all learned something today

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The battery in my iphone 5 is getting dodgy.

It's dropping for like 30-40 percent to nothing super fast nowadays.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Though I haven't purchased one yet, I think the work tablet we'll be using for our folks at work will be the Samsung Tab 3 7.0. The Samsung tablets have the most integrated remote support and they're pretty cheap, even with LTE. Idiot Son can have the Nexus 7.

I really like the multiple user profiles.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    @brolo was your AV always Joffrey? I thought it was Wash until right now.

• Options
    it's been joffy for a few years now

• Options
    I need an eye check.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The paper towel and Saran Wrap is to prevent potential water damage from your freezer

Otherwise yup that super works

You've all learned something today

Storing rechargeable NiMH batteries in the freezer will reduce their self-discharge rate, yes. But I've never seen anything that says it will magically restore their full-charge capacity.

• Options
    Yeah, the S5 should get fully revealed in the next like 24 hours I think, at MWC. If you're on a contract the S5 could be the way to go, it will certainly be the newest Android phone.

If you aren't tied to a contract the Nexus 5 is always a solid choice. If you want something smaller in the same price point there is the Moto X, which I personally feel is a lateral move outside of the general spec-wars.

I have Verizon, and I'm out of my contract, but I was just going to get a discount on a phone and renew my contract, since I don't see any reason to switch carriers in the near future. I don't think I've every gotten a cell phone not from a Verizon store before.

• Options
    Do you still have Verizon's old unlimited data plan?

• Options
    Do you still have Verizon's old unlimited data plan?

Yep! Is that not a thing anymore?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014

I have Verizon, and I'm out of my contract, but I was just going to get a discount on a phone and renew my contract, since I don't see any reason to switch carriers in the near future. I don't think I've every gotten a cell phone not from a Verizon store before.

If you have Amazon prime (or maybe even if you don't) try ordering your phone through them instead of Verizon. I saved $50 on the phone itself and then another 15 or 20 by activating it myself instead of letting them do it in the store. The sales rep in the store said even he could not get one that cheap so it may be worth your time to look into it.

Edit
    I rooted my wife's Droid Razr (the original Verizon model XT912) over the weekend to try and find a way to improve the battery life, possibly by removing bloat. Does anyone have any ideas? I read that battery calibration is apparently a myth so that is out. But what about any ROMs specifically made for older phones to be lightweight and quick? Searching XDA is like staring into the eyes of a gibbering madman.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
This discussion has been closed.