As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] Do people really pay 300g for Arcanite Bars ?

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Ouch, double post

Keemossi on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is what you meant, but Storm Bolt always does damage; it just does more to mobs that are permanently stun immune.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    I was referring to the 500% weapon damage to permanently stun immune targets, since that doesn't seem justified if it is now competing with Shockwave and Dragon Roar instead of Avatar and Bloodbath. Neither Shockwave or Dragon Roar does bonus damage to permanently stun immune targets, nor are they DPS CDs like Avatar and Bloodbath.

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Leveling as a holy paladin is a special kind of hell

DENOUNCEDENOUNCEDENOUNCEDENOUNCE

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Leveling as a holy paladin is a special kind of hell

DENOUNCEDENOUNCEDENOUNCEDENOUNCE

I leveled through vanilla, burning crusade, wrath, cataclysm as holy but even I couldn't stand it once I got to 87 in mists. Monsters starting having too many HPs and I was forced to spec into ret which I hate.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Hot damn RAF xp boost (+300 percent) is amazeballs (first time Ive ever used that word, typed or spoken!).

Like 8 hours played on my prot pally, and I just hit 57.

The bonus xp for completed a random LFD is nearly a whole level still.

And I'm not even using my plate heirloom set.

Never bothered with leveling anything as holy. Is it a matter of glyph of harsh words being crap or is it a matter that the rotation just sucks, regardless of how a holy pally goes about it (I'll admit a rotation with just denounce, harsh words, holy shock and a few heals thrown in - which might yield more holy power, would probably be tedious). I wouldn't be surprised if judgment and hammer of wrath were garbage for holy, even if the latter isn't garbage, an execute won't see many casts on quests mobs to break up tedium.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    MMO Champ has a screenshot dump, including press kit screens. There's some shots of character creation for gnomes and orcs, though the orcs don't seem to have any different faces available yet.

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

Well colour me excited. Polarthief is a guy on MMO-Champ who used to run a bunch of threads, but stopped recently (along with all the mage theorycrafters) and is well known for being very critical of the mage 90 talents. Celestalon says he may like the new changes that are in line.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

Well colour me excited. Polarthief is a guy on MMO-Champ who used to run a bunch of threads, but stopped recently (along with all the mage theorycrafters) and is well known for being very critical of the mage 90 talents. Celestalon says he may like the new changes that are in line.

God please let it be good. My mage is so mediocre to play compared to my rogue, shaman, and druid at the moment.

edited February 2014
    Yeah I finally hit 90 on my monk, and holy shit Windwalker is mega fun compared to my mage. If Windwalker played like a mage, there'd be no Tigereye Brew, you'd use just Blackout Kick until you got a Tiger Palm Combo, and you'd have to cast Spinning Crane Kick every minute.

I hope they fix mages in WoD or I may just swap mains. Played a mage since vanilla but this expansion has made me sick of it. It's really really dull, and changing specs does nothing to fix it.

I was thinking of using my 90 boost on a rogue. I played my mate's rogue and it was pretty fun. He was a sub with AoC, and goddamn was it fun getting those stealth attacks off all the time. Then again I already have a pure dps, so maybe I should get a healer or tank.

Lorahalo on
    I just realized that WoWhead has an actual write-up about talent changes seen at the PR events.
    Death Knight

The level 100 talent Breath of Sindragosa received some modifications. It now reads: Continuously deals 2000 Shadowfrost damage every 1 sec to enemies in a cone in front of you within 12 yards, and affect them with Mark of Sindragosa for 6 sec. You will continue breathing until canceled or Runic Power is exhausted. Mark of Sindragosa causes you to be healed for 5% of spell damage dealt by afflicted enemies.

Rogue

The level 75 talent Paralytic Poison has been replaced by Internal Bleeding -- Your successful Kidney Shots now also cause Internal Bleeding on the target, dealing 1026 Damage per combo point over 12 seconds.
    The level 100 talent Master the Basics has been replaced with Venom Zest--sadly, the player didn't mouseover this ability so we can't tell what it does.

Warlock

The level 100 talent Chaotic Resources received changes to Demonology and Destruction.
    Demonbolt (Demonology): Consumes 30% of your current Demonic Fury to deal up to 3000 damage, and refund up to 300 Demonic Fury the next time you have less than 50 Demonic Fury.
    Charred Remains (Destruction): Incinerate and Conflagrate deal 60% less damage but generate 300% more Burning Embers. Fire and Brimstone can now also affect Chaos Bolt.

Warrior

The level 100 talent Blade Barrier is replaced with Anger Management -- Every 15 rage that you spend reduces the remaining cooldown of your Readiness-affected abilities by 1 sec.
    Arms and Fury Warriors get Ignite Fury as a new level 100 talent, replacing Masochism from Extreme Measures -- Ignites your weapon and deal 100% weapon damage (140% if a one-handed weapon is equipped) as Fire, and cause your auto attacks to deal Fire damage for 10 sec. This ability is not on the global cooldown. Replaces Heroic Strike.
    Tooltips now only show spec-specific details, so while Gladiator Stance wasn't visible in the video as a level 100 talent, that's because it will only show up for Protection warriors (source).
    The level 60 talent Bladestorm is now a level 90 talent.
    The level 90 talent Storm Bolt is now a level 60 talent.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Silver Medal in Proving Grounds required to queue for Heroic dungeons in WoD:
    Watcher wrote:
    To at least get everyone on the same page in terms of information, since a summary of a translated version of a translation of a few sentences in a single interview may not be the best foundation for a 24-page discussion, here's an overview of our current thinking:

*We will have Normal and Heroic versions of our max-level dungeons. (Note that we did not have Normal level 90 dungeons in Mists.)
    *There will be no special requirement other than basic level/ilvl requirements on queuing for Normal dungeons or LFR.
    *Level-up quest gear will get you into Normal dungeons/scenarios, and Normal dungeon/scenario gear will get you into LFR.
    *Heroic dungeons will be more challenging than the Normal version (not brutally difficult, mind you -- just somewhat more demanding).
    *You will need a Silver Proving Grounds medal in a given role in order to queue for random matchmaking for a Heroic Warlords dungeon. If you form a premade group, you can zone in regardless and no such requirement applies.

In the past, challenging content and random matchmaking have often not gone so well together. Relying on item level does nothing to prevent a random group from getting, for example, a tank who may literally have never tanked before. Everyone has to learn somewhere, but we'd rather not have that learning come at other players' expense. One option would be to require a full premade group to do Heroic Dungeons, as we do with Heroic Scenarios, but that would present a very high barrier to entry (finding 4 other people with rigid role requirements is much harder than finding 2 other people with no role requirements). This solution represents a compromise in order to allow the content to see a broader reach via matchmaking, while minimizing frustration.

And yes, we realize that by formally using Proving Grounds as a qualification, it will be incumbent upon us to further refine their balance and mechanics. We'll be updating them for Warlords, and we're confident that we can make them a fair test of baseline ability within a given role.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Halfmex on
    Maybe they've decided to try for normal modes being the current level of difficulty in heroics, with heroic dungeons being like they were in Cata. It's what I wanted anyway :P

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    I doubt they'll go quite as far with the difficulty as they did with the Cata heroics just because it was a turn-off to so many, but something between that and the harder WotLK heroics (like pre-nerf Halls of Lightning) is probably in the cards.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well halls of lighting was not insaney hard but I had to pug it when I had naxx gear to kill Loken

edited February 2014
    Mixed feeling on the required silver before being allowed to random queue for Heroic WoD dungeons. Seems kind of annoying one could in theory form a premade group crust several of the Heroic WoD dungeons, but get told that they have to get a silver in proving grounds if they want to random queue. I suppose the argument could be that there are concerns that you'll get bads, who get carried by a premade group through enough Heroics and the required silver, is to force them to prove that they are good enough.

Haven't done proving grounds, so I don't know how much of a hassle that may or may not be. I'm wondering if the plan is to retune it and then require everyone to get silver again and not allow anyone to rest on their laurels.

I wouldn't expect the WoD Heroics to be on par with Cataclysm pre-nerf Heroic though. Those were pretty rough for even a group of good players, if they weren't doing a fair bit of coordination. I imagine if they go for 5mans that difficult, they'll just add a new difficulty and it'll require people to be in a premade before entering.

I'm also wondering if the devs plan on dropping all the info during the week or if they plan on having the release in such a way that they can walk away for a day or two and not have to respond to the inevitable QQ, while formulating responses to the more reasonable concerns that people may bring up. Celestalon mention that it was going to be over 33 pages, so it sounds like they really want to make sure people understand the changes and minimize the amount of QQ.

Mill on
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    As long as they don't require Gold for queueing for anything, I'm fine with that. I'm a tank in a Heroic progression guild, we're 11/14H, and I couldn't complete Gold. Not because I'm an unskilled player, but because it was horseshit. The way you actually play a tank in Heroic Raids vs tanking in Gold Proving Grounds is like night and day. You essentially have to relearn everything you've been taught and do it completely differently and ass-backwards. I gave up on it because it wasn't worth it to me.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Watcher wrote:
    To at least get everyone on the same page in terms of information, since a summary of a translated version of a translation of a few sentences in a single interview may not be the best foundation for a 24-page discussion, here's an overview of our current thinking:

*We will have Normal and Heroic versions of our max-level dungeons. (Note that we did not have Normal level 90 dungeons in Mists.)
    *There will be no special requirement other than basic level/ilvl requirements on queuing for Normal dungeons or LFR.
    *Level-up quest gear will get you into Normal dungeons/scenarios, and Normal dungeon/scenario gear will get you into LFR.
    *Heroic dungeons will be more challenging than the Normal version (not brutally difficult, mind you -- just somewhat more demanding).
    *You will need a Silver Proving Grounds medal in a given role in order to queue for random matchmaking for a Heroic Warlords dungeon. If you form a premade group, you can zone in regardless and no such requirement applies.

In the past, challenging content and random matchmaking have often not gone so well together. Relying on item level does nothing to prevent a random group from getting, for example, a tank who may literally have never tanked before. Everyone has to learn somewhere, but we'd rather not have that learning come at other players' expense. One option would be to require a full premade group to do Heroic Dungeons, as we do with Heroic Scenarios, but that would present a very high barrier to entry (finding 4 other people with rigid role requirements is much harder than finding 2 other people with no role requirements). This solution represents a compromise in order to allow the content to see a broader reach via matchmaking, while minimizing frustration.

And yes, we realize that by formally using Proving Grounds as a qualification, it will be incumbent upon us to further refine their balance and mechanics. We'll be updating them for Warlords, and we're confident that we can make them a fair test of baseline ability within a given role.

Oh, one more thing, we brought in a consultant to re-work Proving Grounds so they're more accurate. He's done work in other games, so you may recognize him.
    lUGwjLi.jpg

Have fun!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Silver in the current proving system is incredibly easy. It really is the lowest bar they could possibly have while still having the limit be somewhat meaningful. If a player can't beat silver, then that player simply won't be able to contribute in a heroic dungeon group. It only took me 2 tries to get silver dps while in discipline spec (for an achievement) and I had no clue what I was doing.

Gold however takes considerable more personal effort than any other solo queue-able content apart from brawlers guild.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I don't remember offhand if I've gotten silver yet, but if I have it took tons of tries. The problem is that since you're forced to the lowest ilvl if your spec scales exceptionally well with gear but starts at a low baseline then you're fucked. For example: Boomkins. That's why I'm not even sure if I've gotten silver or not, because the amount of burst AoE needed is too high for a baseline boomkin to put out without exceptional planning and luck and the amount of interrupts you need to get off is more than the 1-per-minute Boomkins have (stuns and knockbacks only delay casts, they don't stop them outright). They really need to create proving grounds for each individual spec and its capabilities rather than they one-size-fits-all version they currently have and they need to have them scale up to your ilvl rather than forcing your ilvl to scale down to them.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    At least Dream of Cenarius scales up so very much, the lower our stats are set.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I've only done proving grounds on my shaman but silvers were pretty easy to get as elemental and resto. Gold as resto took a little planning/practice but it ultimately wasn't all that difficult.

also I was looking at some of the new outland/draenor stuff that's up on mmo-champion and man it looks good

ed: also wholeheartedly endorse the silver requirement for heroic queuing thing; being less likely to get groups with people who obviously have no idea about the core function of their class will be really nice.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Opty wrote: »
    I don't remember offhand if I've gotten silver yet, but if I have it took tons of tries. The problem is that since you're forced to the lowest ilvl if your spec scales exceptionally well with gear but starts at a low baseline then you're fucked. For example: Boomkins. That's why I'm not even sure if I've gotten silver or not, because the amount of burst AoE needed is too high for a baseline boomkin to put out without exceptional planning and luck and the amount of interrupts you need to get off is more than the 1-per-minute Boomkins have (stuns and knockbacks only delay casts, they don't stop them outright). They really need to create proving grounds for each individual spec and its capabilities rather than they one-size-fits-all version they currently have and they need to have them scale up to your ilvl rather than forcing your ilvl to scale down to them.
    It should be better in WoD. A lot of skills nowadays are X damage + Y% AP/SP or weapon damage, and the X damage portion is apparently being taken out of everything(EDIT: this should smooth out scaling in general). Of course it won't be perfect due to some classes relying on thresholds for crit procs and the like, but it should help quite a bit.

Monsty on
    I wouldn't mind the proving grounds stuff if they adjusted to your spec and class, because even in the same roles there are particular traits and quirks to things.

I'm so sad that Master of the Basics is taken out now btw. I guess I'll forever forsake Anticipation.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Anticipation is the best level 90 talent for all specs in PvE.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Anticipation is highest damage talent for rogues ATM.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, they'd need to tailor proving grounds to accommodate each spec, since there are difference in tools available. They'd also have to be careful when it comes to assumptions of talents. For instance, they could get away assuming that a lvl 100 warrior has a stun or knockdown that can tie up a target from the lvl 60 tier, but they'd run into trouble if they forget that the stuns in that tier have different CDs, targeting setups, ranges, duration and target cap. So in order not to screw any warriors over, they'd have to assume that every warrior has a stun or knockdown from lvl 60 that is instant, ties the target up for .5s, 8yd range and has minute CD. Granted that pretty much describes Dragon Roar, but there will be cases where the criteria doesn't perfectly much the limits of a talent.

They'll also have to be careful what they ask for. For instance, it would probably be best to not require a ret player to do pull CC, since I'm pretty sure they don't want to force all rets to spec repentance (requiring it for proving grounds, could give people that mistaken impression, that they must pick up the talent) and fearing stuff is a bad idea (not unless they want to give the spec a toggle that cause Turn Evil to not cause PvE mobs to run around shitting their pants in fear, while also avoiding mandating a glyph - same would go for lock fears).

I suppose they could have proving ground adjust the scenario based on the individual's chosen talents, but that feels like that would be a ton of work, on top of everything that they'd already have to do to make this setup work. I mean it would be pretty cool, if my talent choices affected the scenario, but I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Watcher wrote:

Oh, one more thing, we brought in a consultant to re-work Proving Grounds so they're more accurate. He's done work in other games, so you may recognize him.
    lUGwjLi.jpg

Have fun!

Forgive me for asking, but what game is that?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    reVerse wrote: »

It saves me a combo point if I get +2 when I'm already at 4.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

That is still a bigger DPS increase than the other two talents.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, they'd need to tailor proving grounds to accommodate each spec, since there are difference in tools available. They'd also have to be careful when it comes to assumptions of talents. For instance, they could get away assuming that a lvl 100 warrior has a stun or knockdown that can tie up a target from the lvl 60 tier, but they'd run into trouble if they forget that the stuns in that tier have different CDs, targeting setups, ranges, duration and target cap. So in order not to screw any warriors over, they'd have to assume that every warrior has a stun or knockdown from lvl 60 that is instant, ties the target up for .5s, 8yd range and has minute CD. Granted that pretty much describes Dragon Roar, but there will be cases where the criteria doesn't perfectly much the limits of a talent.

They'll also have to be careful what they ask for. For instance, it would probably be best to not require a ret player to do pull CC, since I'm pretty sure they don't want to force all rets to spec repentance (requiring it for proving grounds, could give people that mistaken impression, that they must pick up the talent) and fearing stuff is a bad idea (not unless they want to give the spec a toggle that cause Turn Evil to not cause PvE mobs to run around shitting their pants in fear, while also avoiding mandating a glyph - same would go for lock fears).

I suppose they could have proving ground adjust the scenario based on the individual's chosen talents, but that feels like that would be a ton of work, on top of everything that they'd already have to do to make this setup work. I mean it would be pretty cool, if my talent choices affected the scenario, but I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon.
    You are over thinking it. It's only silver

steam_sig.png
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited February 2014

The amount of wasted combo points is larger than you might think. I'm looking at logs of Garrosh kills (which is a pretty long fight), and I'm seeing 30-60 Anticipation gains on average. All 3 specs have some form of generating extra combo points. Let's look at Assassination for a second. Mutilate generates 2 CPs. Seal Fate gives +1 extra CP on crits. Shadow Blades gives an extra +1 on top of that. So if you have Shadow Blades running and Mutilate crits, that's +4 combo points you just generated.

More importantly, though, it allows Assassination to always be able to use Envenom/Rupture at 5 CP. You can safely Mutilate at 4 CP and you're not going to waste any potential CP generation.

And this goes for Combat and Subtlety too, since they have Revealing Strike and Honor Amongst Thieves.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Dibby wrote: »

The amount of wasted combo points is larger than you might think. I'm looking at logs of Garrosh kills (which is a pretty long fight), and I'm seeing 30-60 Anticipation gains on average. All 3 specs have some form of generating extra combo points. Let's look at Assassination for a second. Mutilate generates 2 CPs. Seal Fate gives +1 extra CP on crits. Shadow Blades gives an extra +1 on top of that. So if you have Shadow Blades running and Mutilate crits, that's +4 combo points you just generated.

More importantly, though, it allows Assassination to always be able to use Envenom/Rupture at 5 CP. You can safely Mutilate at 4 CP and you're not going to waste any potential CP generation.

And this goes for Combat and Subtlety too, since they have Revealing Strike and Honor Amongst Thieves.

Combat doesn't see that much abundance of combo point generation though. Revealing Strike will get you that extra point I was talking about, and yeah Shadow Blades will get you some but... Eh, I dunno, if I was Assassination spec I would actually have my mind changed like a motherfucker by this post. As it stands I'm way more amused by just throwing shurikens at things.

Basically, if you're a min-maxer, Anticipation is your only choice. If you're not and you just want to have fun on those occasions where range is the only option, pick Shuriken Toss.

In my earlier years I'd have gone with Anticipation. These days as a straight LFR player, I'm an ST man.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Watcher wrote:

lUGwjLi.jpg

Have fun!

Forgive me for asking, but what game is that?

Secret World, he's the Gatekeeper. You have to pass his test to get access to Nightmare-mode dungeons... and the DPS test looks like something out of a bullet-hell shooter, and you have to not die while still putting up enough damage to pass a enrage timer.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

Combat doesn't see that much abundance of combo point generation though. Revealing Strike will get you that extra point I was talking about, and yeah Shadow Blades will get you some but... Eh, I dunno, if I was Assassination spec I would actually have my mind changed like a motherfucker by this post. As it stands I'm way more amused by just throwing shurikens at things.

It completely does, since adrenaline rush/shadow blades has like 30% uptime or something ridiculous like that. Spamming sinister strike at 2-3 CPs is going to leave you with some extra.

These days as a straight LFR player, I'm an ST man.

Oh so what you mean to say is you're ruining WoW U FUKKIN CAS', GTFO LERN2PLY

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    AoE Chaos Bolts? Yeah, ok.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
This discussion has been closed.