As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CCGs and PnPRPGs for the single-digit age group?

zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
Hello all,

I'm hoping to get advice on some games my wife and I might be able to play with my 6-year old (kindergarten) daughter.
We're all pretty bored with the "standard" board games that are age-appropriate, and honestly I'm not a very good dad at simply playing "dolls" with her.

She's sharp as a whip, VERY big/creative imagination, good/quick at math, advanced reader - so I'm thinking a CCG and/or some daddy-DM'd pencil/paper RPG evenings might be great fun.
Problem is, it's been so long since I've done either, I have no idea what is available and/or "good" out there these days.

Are there any simple, entry-level CCGs out there? Ideally, the artwork and theming would be appropriate for a kid (not rife with guns/blood/demons/undead/murder/etc.).
Alternately, if there was a "starter" set or box set of a kid-themed pencil/paper RPG, I would LOVE to DM some adventures for her and my wife to play through.

Any leads (and especially playtested advice) is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    There is a My Little Pony CCG that is loved by those who have played it in CF.

There is an Adventure Time CCG that just came out or is soon to come out in physical form. There is an iOS app for that which costs money to download and then has in-app purcheses on top of that. I haven't heard anything about the pyhiscal game being good or bad yet but it is supposed to be similar to the game that was featured in an episode of the show.

I can try to think of some more but checking out the boardgame thread in Critical Failures would be a good bet. The thread can move quickly but there is some dudes that have kids about your age that could give you recommendations. It is a good group of people.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice - maybe I should sweet-talk a mod into moving this thread to CF?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Another option would be deckbuilding games like Dominion. You build a deck as you play instead of before hand and score points at the end.

King of Tokyo is a good family friendly game and I have seen younger kids playing it at my local game shop. If the idea of giants monsters beating each other up appeals to her you could check that out.

A co-op like Forbidden Desert would be great. You could guide her while working together and once she grasps the game you could take a step back.

These are more examples of board games though and dosent fit your request. But I thought it was worth considering.

• Options
    RavynBlackheartRavynBlackheart Registered User regular
    I can recommend both the MLP CCG as well as Pokemon, sadly I can't help on the PnP front.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Hero Kids is supposed to be pretty good for that age range for a PnP game, though I've yet to pick it up.

Edit: Almost forgot Heroes of Hesiod from WOTC. It's a super rules-light version of D&D 4E for kids.

As far as board games go, I can't recommend Dungeon Roll enough. You are assigned an adventurer, whom you use to fight monsters and grab loot in a dungeon. The theme is a little light (it's a press-your-luck dice game), but there's very, very minimal reading required, it's cheap, the box is super small, and games last less than 30 minutes.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have to say, that Hero Kids game looks absolutely perfect - awesome recommendation!
    That may be exactly the type of thing I was looking for.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If she's very bright, she might be able to play some more interesting board games, like Settlers of Catan (really only for age 10+) Or heck, chess. Make her a little genius!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The MLP CCG turned out to be surprisingly complicated. I wouldn't recommend it for the 5-9 age range.

Forbidden Island/Desert is a great suggestion.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm hoping to get advice on some games my wife and I might be able to play with my 6-year old (kindergarten) daughter.
    We're all pretty bored with the "standard" board games that are age-appropriate, and honestly I'm not a very good dad at simply playing "dolls" with her.

She's sharp as a whip, VERY big/creative imagination, good/quick at math, advanced reader - so I'm thinking a CCG and/or some daddy-DM'd pencil/paper RPG evenings might be great fun.
    Problem is, it's been so long since I've done either, I have no idea what is available and/or "good" out there these days.

Are there any simple, entry-level CCGs out there? Ideally, the artwork and theming would be appropriate for a kid (not rife with guns/blood/demons/undead/murder/etc.).
    Alternately, if there was a "starter" set or box set of a kid-themed pencil/paper RPG, I would LOVE to DM some adventures for her and my wife to play through.

Any leads (and especially playtested advice) is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

People have written Dnd adventures for this age group.

Heroes of Hesiod is available for free from the WoTC site.

There is a Harry Potter CCG which might be good if she is into that.

I have a feeling that you all might really like those DnD themed board games that WoTC has been putting out recently like Castle Ravenloft. These are cooperative rather than competitive, but the content might have to wait a couple of years.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Catan Junior is another good choice. It's simple enough for kids without being too much of a bore for adults.

steam_sig.png