As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the thing about the books that i remembered is that a lot of them had pretty good minimalist iconography/simple spy story sounding names
    96ioUem.jpg
    http://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre/rid/Alex-Rider-Series.html

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Cherub was a pretty good teen spy series.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Oh, actually, I just remembered my favourite bits from alex rider, and that was when there was a scene with S.C.O.R.P.I.O.N. or whatever the bad people were called (it was a shitty fucking acronym), or maybe the lady was called Scorpion, but anyway, there was a whole meeting scene with all of the evil spies, and this one old russian spy said that he was getting old and wanted to peace out of the whole organisation, and everyone was pretty cool with it. And then the new villain, the scorpion lady, gives him a present, which is completely unprecedented, and the old dude is just so happy and then as he's leaving he opens it and it's a box full of deadly scorpions and he dies.

Was the box spring-loaded or something? Or did he just shove his hand right in there out of excitement?

I think they all just start pouring out or something. Like the box is actually a portal to the scorpion dimension.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Alex Rider isn't a James Patterson kids book is it? I remember reading some sort of James Patterson kids book that had equally bad plot hooks when I was little and finally understood people's need to burn books.

Edit: Nvm. These books had winged bird kids.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i remember that he had a clone that he had to fight and kill in a climactic fight after he thought his job was done

OH MY GOD THERE WAS A CLONE

Didn't the book even end on a "IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE WRONG ALEX WHO SURVIVED" note, too?

It wasn't a clone of Alex

It was a clone of an evil south african scientist/headmaster of a swiss finishing school who had been surgeried to look just like Alex and also taught to basically be exactly the same person

The plan being that the evil guy was going to replace all of the children of rich people in the world so that he controlled the dynasties of the future

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Alex Rider isn't a James Patterson kids book is it? I remember reading some sort of James Patterson kids book that had equally bad plot hooks when I was little and finally understood people's need to burn books.

Edit: Nvm. These books had winged bird kids.

Maximum Ride is a even dumber book series

Hey we have these kids bird DNA! They can fly!

For some reason this also means they shape shift read minds and turn invisible

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That is such a nonsensical title
    Like are there rides that are less so than the titular ride

The main character named herself Max Ride after some bullshit she saw after escaping from the lab she was made in

The other characters names might be worse

The dark brooding dude with giant black wings is named Fang

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    The first book in the series by James Patterson kinda gives you the overview of the Flock, Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, The Gasman, and Angel. All of those children are 98% human and 2% bird. In this first book, it explains the story of how the ended up where they are, which is living in a home in the mountains. While out and about Angel is captured by half-animal, half-human creatures known as Erasers and brought back to the laboratory which they grew up in also known as The School. Max and the remaining Flock go out and attempt to rescue Angel but are also captured and placed in dog crates similar to the ones they were raised in. Once they escaped they set out to New York to a place know as The Institute to find out where they came from. After gathering info, Max encounters Ari, her half brother who was turned into an Eraser at the age of 7. He now looks 25 year old, self. She kills him but he is later revived in later books. But, Max and the flock decide to head out to D.C later and Max's voice (possibly) starts accumulating.

There was also a talking Dog that they found, that also grew wings for some reason

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those sound like books I would have loved as a kid

The story begins when Max and the remaining members of the flock have to go to an ordinary school. Though Max is unhappy about it, she just cannot say no to Dylan. Meanwhile, Fang's gang is caught up when they're attacked by two monster trucks. Within those monster trucks is something interesting: Max's half brother, Ari, who has yet again risen from the dead. But not only that; there are also more Erasers along with Ari. The fight ends when Maya (Max's Clone, aka Max II) dies in Fang's arms. He doesn't want to hurt anyone else in his gang so he tells them to go home and forget everything that had happened with him. He is then told by the Voice that he has to go back to Max. While he is traveling on foot (one of the bones in Fang's wing was broken in the fight with Ari), Fang meets some people who ask him if he needs a ride. He ends up getting thrown off a cliff. When Max and Dylan leave school, Dylan realizes he forgot his book in a teacher's room. While there, the science teacher tells Dylan that if he values Max's life, he will do the mission that Doctor Gunther-Hagen wants him to do. He is told that the doctor had found something in Fang's blood that many scientists would want, so he tells Dylan that he must kill Fang or they would kill Max. Later that night, Fang arrives on the Flock's doorstep. Max can't help but hug him. When Ari and Jeb arrive to kill Fang, they learn that Fang's DNA contains the secret to immortality. Dylan, after running off, returns and tries to kill Fang, but cannot go through with it. The whole Flock is picked up by Max's mother, and they go to an island paradise where they will survive the approaching apocalypse. As the world suddenly goes up in flames (although they first believed the apocalypse was in the form of a terrible virus), Angel is revealed to be Max's Voice and Dylan comes flying in to the rescue. Fang and Max think they die in each other's arms, as Max has finally decided who she truly loves, but they don't die. The world has adapted so that only mutants can live in it; half of it is water, which is why the Flock evolved to have gills. The other half has high cliffs, so the Flock can live there, having wings. In the end, they did not quite save the world, but they saved each other.

The wikipedia for this is magical

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    "Yet again risen from the dead."

I think this tells me exactly what I need to know.

sig.gif
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My dudes, those are books for children. They are glorious nonsense, yes, but be kind. They aren't for you.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    So the wife and I watched Casa De Mi Padre last night, and, man, that was better than I expected.

Anyone else see that movie?

edited February 2014
    So I don't think I gave a final opinion on Riddick last night but
    There were some enjoyable elements and scenes but overall there was just too much that didn't work for me

Also, you know, the way it treated its one female character, even via its supposed hero, skeeved me out to the max

Also I almost get angry at elements that specifically call back to that first movie from 12 damn years ago, or even that awful second one, because who do you people think you are by giving this mess a mythos

I don't know, I guess I'm just constantly baffled by this franchise's popularity because it seems so forgettable to me

Grey Ghost on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Space Jam is not a very good movie, you guys.

The only legitimately good parts of the film are the parts involving Bill Murray. And it's especially great when you're watching the film with some friends have not seen the film before and are therefore legitimately surprised and excited to see him show up.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Space Jam is a great movie if you are an 8 year old who loves basketball, which I was when it came out, so I disagree. Furthermore, I'm rubber and you're glue so anything you say bounces off of me and sticks to you.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    space jam's not a good movie but it's bad in a way that i can enjoy, especially when you combine it with nostalgia

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Space Jam is a great movie if you are an 8 year old who loves basketball, which I was when it came out, so I disagree.

The eight year old me (was I that old when it came out? probably not) loved Space Jam as well, but the twenty-eight year old me does not find it that enjoyable, because what nostalgia I had was entirely shattered upon viewing it.

Solar wrote: »
    i remember that he had a clone that he had to fight and kill in a climactic fight after he thought his job was done

Didn't the book even end on a "IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE WRONG ALEX WHO SURVIVED" note, too?

It was a clone of an evil south african scientist/headmaster of a swiss finishing school who had been surgeried to look just like Alex and also taught to basically be exactly the same person

The plan being that the evil guy was going to replace all of the children of rich people in the world so that he controlled the dynasties of the future

There was another book where there was a legit clone who just turned up at the end of it all, and just wanted to fight.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There were some enjoyable elements and scenes but overall there was just too much that didn't work for me

Also, you know, the way it treated its one female character, even via its supposed hero, skeeved me out to the max

Also I almost get angry at elements that specifically call back to that first movie from 12 damn years ago, or even that awful second one, because who do you people think you are by giving this mess a mythos

I don't know, I guess I'm just constantly baffled by this franchise's popularity because it seems so forgettable to me

Vin diesel owns the character and it is his mythos. He made it up.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    i saw Zodiac

i do not think i liked Zodiac

I'm sorry
    Do the doctors know exactly what's wrong with you?

It was just seemed sort of meandering and bloated to me

Like I get that it is depicting (more or less) real events, and that this is a story that spanned a long period of time and that involved a lot of people, but I ended up just wishing it would end already but I kept watching because I was curious if they ever find the guy even though I was pretty sure they wouldn't

By the two hour mark I was really fighting the urge to just look up the actual zodiac killer on Wikipedia and "spoil" the movie and turn it off

They NEVER did. Even to this day no one knows who it was. There are rumors and theories but no solid evidence.

newSig.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This is a good essay on Zodiac: http://www.avclub.com/article/izodiaci-59576
    All the qualities associated with Fincher—his dictatorial command over every aspect of the production, his Kubrickian habit of forcing his actors to do dozens of takes, his rigorous attention to detail—are epitomized by Zodiac, an obsessive movie about the nature of obsession. And here’s the kicker: That obsession is never satisfied. It just lingers, pungently, luring viewers down the blindest of true-crime alleys.

AtomicTofu on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

There was another book where there was a legit clone who just turned up at the end of it all, and just wanted to fight.

Oh yeah there was

sorry got my Alex Rider clones/doppelgängers mixed up there

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

Actually David Twohy made it up

Vin Diesel just really likes it

That's why he bought it from the studio after an FF movie

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was under the impression he didn't buy it, he was given the rights as part of his new FF contract

Which I find way funnier

CYpGAPn.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »

Actually David Twohy made it up

Vin Diesel just really likes it

That's why he bought it from the studio after an FF movie

The character of Riddick is a Vin Diesel creation (it's literally his DnD character). The Riddick universe I think is a collabo between Twohy and Diesel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I got no problem with the character himself
    the setting is just laughable garbage though

Speaking of laughable garbage I'm watching Ender's Game tonight oh ho ho

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Get drunk and live post about it like you did with Atlas Shrugged

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I appreciated that the first Riddick movie had a major religion represented that wasn't Christianity, I thought that boded well for further stories in that universe

But then the second movie happened

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i haven't seen a single riddick

edited February 2014
    Uriel wrote: »

Get drunk and live post about it like you did with Atlas Shrugged

http://www.twitter.com/projectgr

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2014

The first one's a decent sci-fi (horror? It didn't scare me that much but it has that vibe) movie with dated special effects and Vin Diesel playing Riddick as an awful bastard

But the second one throws in stupid prophecy bullshit and tries to make Riddick out to be some sort of Space Conan and is super dumb in an occasionally entertaining way

I haven't seen the third one yet

Etchwarts on
    I will say that the ending to the second Riddick movie is pretty badass

That last line is incredible

The first one's a decent sci-fi (horror? It didn't scare me that much but it has that vibe) movie with dated special effects and Vin Diesel playing Riddick as an awful bastard

But the second one throws in stupid prophecy bullshit and tries to make Riddick out to be some sort of Space Conan and is super dumb in an occasionally entertaining way

I haven't seen the third one yet

Third goes back to "Riddick is a bastard but necessary to have around in this situation"
    it's... actually very much like I recall the first movie, at least in the setup

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I feel like Chronicles of Riddick is worth it just for the scenes on Crematoria.

Also, the whole movie basically feels like a sci-fi D&D campaign that Vin Diesel came up with himself; it's really dumb and corny in a way I dig.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Stilts wrote: »
    I feel like Chronicles of Riddick is worth it just for the scenes on Crematoria.

Also, the whole movie basically feels like a sci-fi D&D campaign that Vin Diesel came up with himself; it's really dumb and corny in a way I dig.

Yeah, it's definitely entertaining.

I just don't think it's actually a good movie.

This discussion has been closed.