As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros Brawl! "...the two of them get along great! ...I think.

• ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Two wrongs...

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Namco is dumb poo, I hope there are no more third party characters so people can stop wanting the lame ones put in.

Franko on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Namco was involved with Soul Calibur, right?

Not saying it's a good idea, or even mildly probable.

Just throwing it out there.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Are you suggesting Link be put into Smash Brothers? It'll never happen.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If we need any Tales character it's gonna be Arche from Phantasia.

That chick fucks like a tiger.

DekuStick on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If a third party character makes it into this game it should be because they are/were hot shit. The real deal. That's Sonic, or Mega Man. There are only supposed to be a handful of them at most, but there are dozens that deserve it more than freaking Klonoa...

Zek on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what ?

We need team final smashes. Not everyone would have one just the few you'd expect and a couple of suprises.

Mario and Luigi- A bros. attack from superstar saga

Mario/Luigi and Yoshi - The Bros. hops on Yoshi and procedes to cause devestation

Kirby and Metaknight - Magic roullette from kirby and the amazing mirror -Metaknight flying around destroying things. Small chance of health recovery

Link and Zelda - Zelda's light beam attack from OoT followed up by Link's RIGHT IN THE HEAD( different games I know but still)

DK and Diddy - Donkey Kong Fastball specials Diddy( who is wearing his jetpack)

Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu - Pikachu uses thunderwave( nobody can move) and baton passes to Charizard who Blast Burns everything.

Snake and Captian Falcon - Super Fusion into . . .

METAL GEAR KNEE.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited September 2007
    Fine! I just like him more than Pac-Man and Lloyd, alright?
    In all likelihood, an IP owner asking Sakurai to put their character in the game will have more weight than a character being popular (!) Don't give up hope, all you kids wishing for Viewtiful Joe!

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Are you suggesting Link be put into Smash Brothers? It'll never happen.

First this, and soon they'll be asking for Solid Snake. Disappointment Alley, people!

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • RaNcIdPsYcHoJoShRaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    DekuStick wrote: »
    That chick fucks like a tiger.

So you're saying you fucked a tiger before to make this comparison?

...Join the club.
    Zek wrote: »
    There are only supposed to be a handful of them at most, but there are dozens that deserve it more than freaking Klonoa...

Pac-man, however, is not one of them.

RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what ?
    We need team final smashes. Not everyone would have one just the few you'd expect and a couple of suprises.
    Mario/Luigi and Yoshi - The Bros. hops on Yoshi and procedes to cause devestation
    Kirby and Metaknight - Magic roullette from kirby and the amazing mirror -Metaknight flying around destroying things. Small chance of health recovery
    Link and Zelda - Zelda's light beam attack from OoT followed up by Link's RIGHT IN THE HEAD( different games I know but still)
    Pokemon Trainer and Pikachu - Pikachu uses thunderwave( nobody can move) and baton passes to Charizard who Blast Burns everything.
    METAL GEAR KNEE.

And then Marle and Lucca come in and they're like "ANTIPODE 3!"

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Campion wrote: »
    You know what ?
    METAL GEAR KNEE.

And then Marle and Lucca come in and they're like "ANTIPODE 3!"

Nah Frog and Crono come out and turn everybody into reptile people.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They should just lose the whole idea of third party characters.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited September 2007
    Why? To make it easier for internet arguments? To spare people the agony of "their" character not making it? Might as well go ahead and toss out the first party characters while they're at it, because I'm going to go ahead and predict the following: No Advance Wars playable characters.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    edited September 2007
    Oh, not because of the arguments, just because it feels weird to have non-Nintendo characters in Smash Bros.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Why? To make it easier for internet arguments? To spare people the agony of "their" character not making it? Might as well go ahead and toss out the first party characters while they're at it, because I'm going to go ahead and predict the following: No Advance Wars playable characters.

I think the last part's a given, seeing as how they don't want guns in the game and well...war gets kinda gunny, and they've already got a character with a rocket launcher.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited September 2007
    I know it's likely to be true, but this is what makes it such a good prediction! There are many AW fans who would love to see the characters be playable, however.

I am not sure how weird it feels to have 3rd party characters in smash brothers since I have never played one that featured them. Though, many of the more popular characters on the NES still register in my mind as a nintendo character, such as Mega Man.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    edited September 2007
    Ruins wrote: »
    Oh, not because of the arguments, just because it feels weird to have non-Nintendo characters in Smash Bros.

That's why they have to stick to characters with a strong enough Nintendo-associated identity that they don't seem like outsiders. Who published the game is really just a technicality in the eyes of most gamers when they think about the best games of generations past. Snake is pushing it, but we'll let him slide because he's awesome. Sonic would work well because he's the exact opposite - he's like a rival to the rest of the cast.

Zek on
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh god guys i have a wonderful idea. A Nintendo World Cup assist trophy supershots coming from everywhere it`s looks so beautiful in my mind

Green Lantern on
    edited September 2007

That's why they have to stick to characters with a strong enough Nintendo-associated identity that they don't seem like outsiders. Who published the game is really just a technicality in the eyes of most gamers when they think about the best games of generations past. Snake is pushing it, but we'll let him slide because he's awesome. Sonic would work well because he's the exact opposite - he's like a rival to the rest of the cast.

I agree, that is also why Megaman, although not my favorite, seems very possible, The whole cutsey image and traditional video game vibe matches the rest of the cast.

Children on
    skate, halo 3
    edited September 2007

I'd much rather have characters that have only appeared on Nintendo consoles. I don't consider Snake even close to being a Nintendo character. He had what? 2 games on Nintendo systems? One being a remake? I always liked Smash Bros to be my all out Nintendo fanboy dream, but if they keep putting third party characters in, it might ruin it. But I've been against Snake from the first trailer he was in.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So a couple of characters that you could ignore have the possibility of ruining your little wet dream.

That makes sense.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, it's weird that a non-Nintendo character was put into a game that has been a clusterfuck of nothing but Nintendo tidbits over it's lifecycle.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I'd much rather have characters that have only appeared on Nintendo consoles. I don't consider Snake even close to being a Nintendo character. He had what? 2 games on Nintendo systems? One being a remake? I always liked Smash Bros to be my all out Nintendo fanboy dream, but if they keep putting third party characters in, it might ruin it. But I've been against Snake from the first trailer he was in.

Fighters Megamix
    Ghost Babel
    Twin Snakes
    Metal Gear
    the bastardized sequal
    a couple konami cart racers.

List > Two

Fission Mailed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited September 2007
    Look, I don't know alot about Metal Gear, but he just seems weird in a game that has had nothing but Nintendo franchises in it for it's games to all of the sudden throw in third party things.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Fighters Megamix

Fighters Megamix is a Sega Saturn game developed by Sega. The game Snake is in was something else (I can't remember the title).

Also, Snake was in some Konami skateboarding game for the GC and PS2 (the relevant parts of which were included in MGS2:Substance).

mntorankusu on
    edited September 2007
    Well, look at it this way. Snake is more prominent in Nintendo's history than Pit or the Ice Climbers are.

Zek on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    But Snake isn't a Nintendo character.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited September 2007
    True, it's just that when I think of Snake, the first thing that comes to mind isn't Nintendo, it's Playstation. Which in the scope of things isn't any different than the whole Sonic/Genesis thing.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited September 2007
    Fighters Megamix

Fighters Megamix is a Sega Saturn game developed by Sega. The game Snake is in was something else (I can't remember the title).

Also, Snake was in some Konami skateboarding game for the GC and PS2 (the relevant parts of which were included in MGS2:Substance).

Damn it you're right. It's the other one. I knew there was something wrong when I typed it.

Dream Mix TV World Fighters or something.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RaNcIdPsYcHoJoShRaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I think Sonic's plot in the subspace emmissary thing is that he's joining the Smash roster under friendly terms, secretly planning to kill everyone and destroy everything from within to avenge Sega's loss in the console race.

RaNcIdPsYcHoJoSh on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    And then Alex Kidd is revealed as the puppet master behind the whole scheme.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    OK, so, with a lot of requests for citing "what sakurai said", I've gone and grabbed what I could find that seemed relevant and didn't double up much of the info, in chronilogical order.

Weekly Famitsu Column "Masahiro Sakurai's Thoughts About Games" vol
    130-132, 2006
    That was because when it was asked what product Nintendo would want to use to help it unveil its Wi-Fi Network, the first title on the list in both America and Japan was Smash Bros. So it was first decided to talk about Smash Bros. as an example of a Wi-Fi title, resulting in the game being announced before the development structure was finalized.
    So, I decided to become director. And as of May, 2005, I was the only member of the new Smash Bros. development team.
    So what of the magnanimous development staff?
    It turned out that Nintendo would build a new team around me in Tokyo.
    There was also a proposal to develop the game in Kyoto at Nintendo headquarters, but the there you'd draw a different people, and I had need to be in Tokyo anyway.
    Additionally, there are several people in Tokyo with experience developing Smash Bros., and it was decided that they would join the team. And the name of talented staff members were offered up.
    So, development would not be occurring at Hal Labs. But, the code and development environment of Super Smash Bros. Melee, which I had developed in the past, was offered. Having this versus not having this means the efficiency of the development changes dramatically, so I'm thankful.
    But we still didn't have enough people. To create a game like Super Smash Bros. Melee, I would want a team with a minimum of 50 people. Getting together that many people would be a back-breaking task.
    So it was that Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduced me to a "particular team" that had just completed a large-scale game.
    Until the day comes when I can announce the team's name, I shall simply refer to them as "The Studio."
    Also, more than anything, this Smash Bros. will be a game that we make while paying thanks to all the people who made so many different games and to all the fans who have supported them.
    And we must pay respect to the original games while doing so.
    Did we ever find out who "the studio" were?

Famitsu interview in may 2006
    Smash Bros. is one of the few Wii games to maintain a standard control scheme. "I was given the task of creating Smash Bros.," explained Sakurai. "Of course, the topic becomes, how should we use the special remote controller? During the planning stages, we gave a lot of thought to this." In the end, Sakurai and his staff decided to not go too far with the controller, in particular avoiding being new just for the sake of being new, which Sakurai worried would make the game difficult to play.

Sakurai also made a few comments about what online play will bring to the title, and some of the problems of developing an online game. "To be honest, there are some annoying areas. While it's definite that the switch to online raises the possibilities for a game, there are lots of considerations, like manners, and level differences." He seems to have an overall favorable impression of online play, though, noting that, "It increases the opportunity to interact with players who are playing the same game."

Despite the title's use of a standard control scheme, Sakurai's journal offers kind words for the Wii. "I believe Wii is truly an appealing game machine. It begins to demonstrate solutions to many of the problems that face today's game industry."

Fan translation of emails sent to smash brothers site, june 2006
    Smash World Forums poster SamuraiPanda has translated Sakurai's postings, and here is what has been revealed:
    * The lineup: Not all characters from the previous games will return. Any non-Nintendo character must have appeared on a Nintendo platform before; the tentative number of non-Nintendo characters is 1 or 2 (Snake not included). Our guess is that other character will come from one of Nintendo's closest third-party developers: Namco, Capcom, or Sega. Sakurai, noting that Smash Bros is popular worldwide, does not want the title to feature characters that are only popular in Japan (though given the success of Fire Emblem, that may change).
    * The gameplay: The speed of the game will be "moderated" (the translator guesses this means a slower pace). Every character's moves are being refined so that a player has "more freedom" in aerial combat. "This time, we'd like to stress easiness over the small details of combat, so overall it might become somewhat easier."
    * Online: There are no plans for an online ranking system (although win-loss records might still be recorded). It does not seem that Sakurai is placing high priority on an online system.
    I'm convinced the cut character, if it even still applies, is Roy.

Miyamoto and Sakurai comment on Sonic's popularity, august 2006
    The newest issue of Tips & Tricks is out and it has a little blurb about Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, the weird thing is that they state something that we've never seen before. Where they got the information is puzzling because Sakurai and Miyamoto haven't ever talked about Brawl together since the E3 2006 roundtable. However, the magazine is pretty credible and what they said is definitely obvious.
    "Nintendo hopes that Snake's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl will encourage other publishers to allow their characters to join the Smash Bros. line-up, and is already actively negotiating for the rights to include at least one other non-Nintendo character. Both Sakurai and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto have stated that Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog is the character that Smash Bros. fans have requested the most and... well, it's hard to type these words with our fingers crossed!"
    Interesting. The first parts were known already. However, I've never even heard Sakurai make a reference to Sonic before! We'll see how it plays out. It's obvious Sonic is the most popular third party request, so we'll see how it goes.
    Huh... this little bit of info seems like it could be dodgy after all.

Eurogamer interview Sakurai and Miyamoto november 2006
    Nintendo: Will the game's roster be expanded to include more Nintendo characters than what we've seen?
    Masahiro Sakurai: Of course there are plenty of other characters we're thinking about in particular, none of which happens to be shown today. Actually I almost want to ask everyone here what characters they'd like to see. [Laughter. Someone yells "Sonic", someone yells "Olimar". Someone yells "Master Chief". "Reggie". More laughter. It's a total love-in at this point. We've stopped trying to shield the dictaphone from the whooping laughs of those around us.]

Nintendo: Will the game take advantage of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, or can you explain if the game will be online?
    Masahiro Sakurai: My plan is to include Wi-Fi Connection compatibility and online functionality. Actually one of the primary reasons the Super Smash Bros. game was created was that Nintendo staff both in the United States and in America [we assume he meant the US and Japan - Ed] said that when taking the home console online, the best title to do so would be Super Smash Bros.
    But, at the same time, I think it may be a lot of work for us to try to come up with a system that will allow four players to play simultaneously and try to find out who's number one. We're mainly focusing more along the lines of bringing lots of people in together to play simultaneously in perhaps some new and different ways.

Nintendo: What type of special moves will Solid Snake have [in Super Smash Bros. Brawl]?
    Masahiro Sakurai: That's a good question. We thought a lot about what to do with Snake and his moves in Smash Bros. because Snake as you all know is the type of character who in most games is walking around with a gun. Whereas in Smash Bros. I didn't want to try and bring in the real weaponry like guns and rifles that people can get their hands on into the game, so that was a bit of a challenge.
    But conversely I thought that if we could use things like rocket launchers and other explosives, that would be fitting for Snake, but also something we could use in a very comedic fashion in the game, and so we're looking at that - and who knows, maybe he'll end up just exclusively using explosives.
    And he'll use a cardboard box. [Laughter]

Nintendo: Will the single-player of Super Smash Bros. be the same as it was on the GameCube?
    Masahiro Sakurai: No, we're going to change it. I think we're going to try and make a single-player mode that people can enjoy a little bit more than perhaps they did on the GameCube.
    Shigeru Miyamoto: This is actually something Mr Sakurai and I have had a difference of opinion on since the very first Smash Bros. game. Mr Sakurai always wanted to have a very deep single-player game, and on the N64 version I just said to him, you know, we've got plenty of very deep single-player games, why don't you hurry up and just focus on multiplayer and don't worry about the single-player. And Mr Sakurai said no, no, no, I want to have some kind of single-player in there so I just said well, make it really short so we can focus on multiplayer and get the game done. And we kind of did a little bit of that on the GameCube, but a bit more single-player than that. This time we're getting a lot of time to focus on Smash Bros., plenty of time to develop it, so people can expect a very robust single-player game.

Nintendo: Did Nintendo approach Konami about Super Smash Bros. or was it the other way around?
    Masahiro Sakurai: Actually, what really brought about the Snake character was from a conversation I was having back when I was developing the Smash Bros. game for GameCube when Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!
    But at that time we were already deep in development and I was thinking I wasn't able to get him in there and that we'd probably be making another Smash Bros. game afterward, so I kind of gave up on the idea and said it's too bad you hadn't brought this up earlier. And that was kind of the end of the story. But when this project came up, because Mr Kojima had contacted me, we reinitiated talks and managed to put Snake in this time.
    It's not so much a corporate level discussion but really more on a personal level between myself and Mr Kojima, but obviously a lot of people have been interested in the introduction of other characters in the Smash Bros. games, and Sonic has been brought up many, many times. Part of it is you have to have someone you can trust to take care of your character and do your character good, so we're looking at various possibilities. There are probably possibilities for other third-party characters as well, and it may be that even now there are corporate discussions going on at a high level about what characters to include, but maybe we'll talk to you about that a little bit later.
    Right now Snake is the only third-party character that has been confirmed for Super Smash Bros., but I think because we've announced Snake is in Super Smash Bros. that might open up opportunities for other third-party characters to also be included.
    But more than anything it's not just about having a character, but about having a character that's going to be fun to have in there.

Nintendo: Who would be the character you'd most like to see in Super Smash Bros. in the future?
    Shigeru Miyamoto: Well if there was such a character I would just put them in this version. It's difficult finding the right balance. Everyone has their own opinions about what characters they'd like to see, so that's why I'll be trying to gather as much information as I can from people in terms of what direction to go in.

Kojima plays Smash Brothers, april 2007
    According to Kojima Productions Report host Ryan Payton, Kojima felt the game was "very complete" and Nintendo "could put it out now, and it would sell millions of copies."
    Kojima, playing as Snake, was apparently unable to attack Sakurai, who fought as Mario, because of nostalgic feelings.

Gah, what a huge poast. What am I, rosebud?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If Mega Man doesn't make it in I'm still gonna be pissed... As far as third party characters no one is more classic Nintendo than Mega Man, he had 6 full games on the NES alone.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So the Ice Climbers should have some awesome ice-related final smash as opposite to Mario`s fire of death

Green Lantern on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    You know what would make the Ice climbers level tolerable?

If the players controlled the vertical climb, like in the original game.

You know.. if players start climbing, or get hit upwards, the level starts scrolling. But if they are fighting on one plane, it stays stationary. Most importantly, it can NEVER go down.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2007
    I like levels that can kill you.

Children on
    skate, halo 3
    edited September 2007
    So the Ice Climbers should have some awesome ice-related final smash as opposite to Mario`s fire of death
    I was hoping for a stampede of those awesome bears in pink bathing suits and sunglasses from their level in Melee.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rollout wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »
    Is the wrench supposed to be Advance wars?

Don't forget there can only be 3 3rd party characters. As per what Sakurai said to begin with. :P

You're sig is over shooting just a bit. I'd replace something with a PIKMIN icon.
    [citation needed]

J/k. Yeah, it's an advance wars icon. I'm just taking my chances on Sakurai reconsidering the number of third party characters. Uh, I haven't yet to play Pikmin, so I can't root for them, sorry. :(

Sakurai hasn't determined the official character lineup as of yet. The reveal of Solid Snake does mean they're contemplating other non-Nintendo characters, but the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo platform at some point, and they're only considering one or two more additions in this category.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151198

This comment was translated from the original Japanese Dojo, before the remodel of the daily updates.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited September 2007
    Rollout wrote: »
    Is the wrench supposed to be Advance wars?

Don't forget there can only be 3 3rd party characters. As per what Sakurai said to begin with. :P

You're sig is over shooting just a bit. I'd replace something with a PIKMIN icon.
    [citation needed]

J/k. Yeah, it's an advance wars icon. I'm just taking my chances on Sakurai reconsidering the number of third party characters. Uh, I haven't yet to play Pikmin, so I can't root for them, sorry. :(

Sakurai hasn't determined the official character lineup as of yet. The reveal of Solid Snake does mean they're contemplating other non-Nintendo characters, but the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo platform at some point, and they're only considering one or two more additions in this category.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151198

This comment was translated from the original Japanese Dojo, before the remodel of the daily weekday updates.

Fixed

Xenogears of Bore on