As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

metal cutting?

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
hi PA H&A, I got a dumb question: are there places that will cut down pieces of metal for you? I have an aluminum weather strip that goes at the bottom of a door, and I need to cut it to the size of the door.

the folks at Home Depot wouldn't do it for me, and I don't want to buy a hacksaw that I'll never use again... help?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Handyman? Surely you know a guy or know a guy who knows a guy.

That or hit up the local yellow pages.

Though I'm sure this will end up being the same price as a hacksaw or some tinsnips.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Borrow from a friend. Failing that, a hacksaw or tin snips can be bought for less than $10.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A hacksaw is a handy thing to own. You can use them for woodwork, metalwork, plumbing, in mechanical work...

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Borrow from a friend. Failing that, a hacksaw or tin snips can be bought for less than $10.
    Or, if you're truly and completely dead set against owning a hacksaw, you can get just a hacksaw blade for 2 bucks, wrap the ends in duct tape so you can hold the blade and use it.
    Not that this is a good idea. It's likely to result in cutting your fingers up pretty good. Seems kind of silly though, since you can get a hacksaw for 6 bucks. They're also small enough that you can easily stash them in a closet or under a sink or someplace where you never have to see it again.

Really, for what it sounds like you're trying to do, you'd spend more trying to find a person to do this then it would cost to get the tool to do it yourself.
    If it's more of a "don't want something that I'll never use again" thing, then maybe get a dremel with some cutting disks? Assuming the aluminum isn't too thick, one of those should do the job and they're amazingly helpful for small hobbys and arts/crafts kind of things.

see317 on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    we just moved to a new neighborhood where we don't know too many people yet.

in any event, i ended up going to a nearby Ace Hardware, and the store owner let me use their vise and hacksaw. I guess this can be closed!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    Measure it, mark it clearly, and stop by an auto mechanic or auto body shop when they're not busy. Tip them $5 and you'll get your cut. Same thing if you ever need something small drilled, tapped, or welded, etc. Although those may cost a bit more.