As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a psp game (or two).

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
In a shocking twist to the 'recommend me some DS games', this isn't actually about DS games at all. Which you might have guessed from the title.

What are the must have psp games out now? And what's coming out in the near future?

I favour srpg's, but I'm open to all genres.

The games I'm considering are Jeanne D'Arc and possibly Twisted Metal. I'll be getting Final Fantasy Tactics when that comes out.

So, recommend away, please!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I enjoyed Lumines. That's the only PSP game that has made me want to play my PSP.

_J_ on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't own a PSP, but if I did the first games I would buy would be the DJ Max games. But I'm a sucker for music games.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jeanne D'Arc is amazing if you're a fan of the SRPG genre. It's not quite Fire Emblem and not quite FFT(A), but you can see the influences. It's also much easier than either. Don't go into it expecting a high difficulty curve.

I purchased my first PSP slim a few days ago and got JD'A as a time filler until War of the Lions comes out next month and I'm wondering if I'll be truly satisfied with completion of the game before FFT is released.

Koreban on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ace Combat X was everything the ps2 Ace games were but in portable form as was Sid Mier's Pirates. Both IMO are must owns.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    For some other SRPG type games check out Field Commander and the Metal Gear AC!D games. Just got Jeanne D'Arc today and it's very nice so far. Also, Disgaea comes out next month as well as FFT. I've heard the D&D Tactics game isn't very good, which is a shame...

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Jeanne D'Arc is great, and definitely Metal Gear Ac1d 2 (I'd recommend the second over the first). Those are two you can't go wrong with. But you're also going to need, NEED, Puzzle Quest at some time. Those three will probably set you up for life.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    Ace Combat X was everything the ps2 Ace games were but in portable form...

It isn't hurt too much by the small screen?

Grislo on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    _J_ wrote: »
    I enjoyed Lumines. That's the only PSP game that has made me want to play my PSP.

agreed.

oh, and i had some fun with me and my katamari

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grislo wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »
    Ace Combat X was everything the ps2 Ace games were but in portable form...

It isn't hurt too much by the small screen?

Nope looks fine to me. The only complaint I can really see is the left and right rudder movement is mapped to the left and right D pad due to only having 2 shoulder buttons. Otherwise IMO it does everything the ps2 games do and it looks pretty dang good doing it.

powersurge on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Brave Story
    Jeanne D'arc
    Puzzle Quest
    Monster Hunter
    Syphon Filter

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Killzone: Liberation
    Tales of Eternia
    Metal Gear Solid: PO

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Round 3... LIST!
    Games I own and Love

Field Commander
    Jeanne D'arc
    Lumines
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    Mega Man Powered Up
    Metal Gear AC!D 2
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Though I wonder how different Portable Ops Plus will be...)
    Metal Slug Anthology
    Super Star Soldier
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
    Tales of Eternia

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Only seen it mentioned on one other list, but I'll give you a overview:
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2. This game is fantastic. It's an action game done in prehistoric times. You wanna fight Raptors? You got it. Dragons? They're there. Monkeys? Fuck the monkeys, they're ridiculous. The game is entirely based on your skill as a hunter. EVERY weapon class is viable, unlike the last one, where certain weapons had a clear general advantage. They offer things between Swords and Shields, Guns, Bows, Greatswords (Like Clouds, except more 'realistic'), Samurai Swords, Hammers, Lances, Gunlances, and dual swords. You create your own armor from carving the carcasses of your enemies. Nothing is more satisfying than hitting that bitch of a congala (big gorilla dude) in the face, killing it, then making armor out of his hide.
    As you go throughout the game, you'll need to upgrade your weapons, and the AI isn't bad at all. It's not amazing, but it's difficult. Now there are downsides to this game. If you're going to be playing at home (where your adapter is) you're golden. If you want to take it out to places, you'll notice that the loadtimes are slightly long. You can load the map in background, severely cutting down loadtimes, but it eats up your battery. There's multiplayer, but for internet play, you need an adapter called Wifi Max. It's around 27 dollars on amazon, and we have a small little community here at PA that we really enjoy. Here's the linkSeriously, check this out, you won't regret it.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    Magus DarkstarMagus Darkstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gradius Collection and Crush

The fact that Crush hasn't been mentioned yet is a crime of the highest order. Very unique, fun puzzler.

Magus Darkstar on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Only seen it mentioned on one other list, but I'll give you a overview:
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2...

The combat in MH2 looks really horrible to me. Drawn out and repetitive. It looks like they created a really pretty game with a lot of content, but failed to consider the core gameplay.

I'll probably give it a chance, though. I know someone who has it, so I'll be sure to actually play the game rather than base my opinion on, well, nothing much. It's just not a game that looks very appealing to me at the moment.

EDIT:

Gradius and Metal Slug collections would make rather excellent distractions on train rides..

Grislo on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Right now there are four games I'd classify as must buys. Killzone: Liberation, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Jeanne d'Arc. Buy them. Now.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    To those mentioning Portable Ops: There is a newer, shinier version coming out soon, so he may want to wait for that.

I recommend most of what people are saying, but on top of that get Brave Story, Jeanne d'Arc, Gitaroo Man, and Loco Roco. Seriously guys none of you mentioned Loco Roco. I'm dissapointed.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    To those mentioning Portable Ops: There is a newer, shinier version coming out soon, so he may want to wait for that.

Like I've mentioned in multiple other threads, no. Portable Ops Plus is NOT a re-release like MGS2: Substance, it's an add-on pack like MGS1: VR Missions. It doesn't contain the single player mode from the original release, it's focused more on the multiplayer aspects (though it does contain a new single player mode, which I'm guessing is just a way to recruit new characters).

There's a chance that they'll sell both versions packaged with each other but my guess is that they won't bother. Konami US and Europe are usually pretty slack.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Oh dear god... don't let Unco see this...

EDIT - FUCK! TOO LATE

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

EDIT - FUCK! TOO LATE

Pfft, it took you that long to write that? :lol:

Besides, I don't see you correcting him. Or do you want people buying PO Plus expecting to be able to play the original releases story mode? ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    what is the deal with a new version of portable ops? (I have absolutely no idea)

LewieP on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »

EDIT - FUCK! TOO LATE

BLAH BLAH BLAH fucking BLAH!

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    what is the deal with a new version of portable ops? (I have absolutely no idea)

It's called Portable Ops Plus. It's focused mainly on online play, with new modes, new levels (some from old MGS games like MGS1) and new characters (including old Snake). It also has a new single player mode which will likely just be a series of random missions which will give you opportunities to recruit more soldiers.

It probably wouldn't be worth buying if you have no interest in the online Portable Ops mode.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I stand corrected. I guess. I thought they were going to pack the actual game in with the online stuff disc.

My other game recommendations still stand!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Metal Gear Portable Ops - it's like MGS3 and Pokemon got it on in a foxhole.
    Brave Story - Fun classic JRPG style with nice graphics. Great for on the go.
    Ace Combat X - Its Ace Combat portable!
    Burnout Legends or Dominator - Its Burnout portable!

These are the game I play regularly on my PSP.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've played a bit of Burnout Revenge on my ps2 (the only Burnout I've played since the first Burnout, really), and I quite liked it. If I had to choose between Legends and Dominator, which one is the better game?

Are they worthwhile as Burnout games/racers on their own, or just as portable novelties?

Grislo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    D&D tactics any good?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think most reviews were fairly negative, but it looks interesting in concept.

Which doesn't really help you much.

If you can get a cheap copy, it might be worth it ;)

Grislo on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In addition to what others have said, you should try and find yourself a copy of Loco Roco. It's happiness distilled down to it's purest form.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Although I don't have a PSP, if I ever get around to picking one up, these are the games I'd make my first priority:

Jeanne D'Arc (I love Joan of Arc and I hear this is a very good SRPG)
    Final Fantasy Tactics (a port with a couple of extras, but the big bonus is a substantially better translation)
    Loco Roco (looks like a fun quirky game and it's cheap these days)
    Sega Genesis Collection (tons of great Genesis games on the go)
    Gradius Collection (lots of great shmups on the go)
    Lumines (Love Lumines on the 360, portable Lumines sounds good to me)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Monster Hunter Freedom
    Monster Hunter Freedom 2
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    PoPoLoCroiS
    Prince of Persia: Rival Swords
    Final Fantasy 1 & 2 (remakes)
    Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
    God of War: Chains of Olympus (when it comes out)
    Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy (when it comes out)
    LocoRoco
    Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
    Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
    Valhalla Knights
    Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony
    Me and My Katamari
    Crush
    Jeanne D'arc
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Final Fantasy: Crisis Core (if you can read japanese, otherwise wait until english release)
    Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
    Metal Gear AC!D 1 and 2
    Manhunt 2
    Silent Hill: Origins

i'm sure i missed a few

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really do look into Syphon Filter-I too always considered the series to be MGS's little, whiny bitch, but Dark Mirror really is THAT awesome. I think I actually liked it a bit more than Portable Ops, though both were excellent.

Gametrailers review, for those interested. Of course, the youtube video doesn't do the graphics justice.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Also, the Final Fantasy remake is really, really pretty.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So how are Metal Slug Anthology and Viewtiful Joe? I saw the latter for like $15 at FYE, so it might be worth picking up if it's any good.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Metal Slug Anthology has arcade ports of 1-6 and Metal Slug X. In addition to the games themselves, there is a gallery that you can unlock images, audio tracks, wallpapers, and a dev interview transcript. The audio tracks and wallpapers get saved to the PSP's storage so you can actually use the walls and listen to the tracks outside of the game in the PSP's media player.
    Metal Slug games can either be played in pixel original (smaller than PSP screen), stretch to fit maintaining aspect ratio (my favorite view, since it doesnt stretch the image horizontally), and then there is fill screen (which does stretch the game horizontally.) I never noticed any slowdown in the graphics and it looks great on the PSP screen. The load times are a typical on a PSPhat, not attrocious, but could be better. There is also Co-Op multiplayer over AdHoc WiFi, yet no game sharing option. I have not played the coop myself so I cant say if there are any issues with it.

Since these are not particularly deep games to begin with, these are definatly enjoyed in short bursts when you have some downtime. Easy to pick up and put down without much time investment. If you have any love for Metal Slug, this won't dissapoint.

Bottom Line: Seven great arcade ports of Metal Slug in your pocket with some bonus material that you can actually use.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Loco Roco

marvel ultimate alliance is fantastic if you like button bashing brawl fests and the marvel universe, which i do... so i love it
    either of the GTA's if you are a fan of the series
    Daxter is pretty ace
    Project 8 is a really solid title if you like the tony hawks series
    if you like cute fantasy action rpg types (zelda etc) then Gurumin is great fun, a bit cutesy, but a really sound game, great gameplay and a fun storyline.
    i also really enjoyed

me and my katamari
    lumines
    pursuit force
    star wars : lethal alliance

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Games I've played and enjoyed:
    Jeanne D'Arc - really well done. Great art direction, great gameplay
    Lumines - great launch title, and still great. My time with it has diminished now that I can routinely max out the score, but always a fun distraction
    Field Commander - Fun little turn-based strategy/tactics title. And comes with a scenario editor and there's downloadable scenarios.
    Metal Gear Acid 1&2 - very different from the other MGS games, but damn they're fun!
    Daxter - fun little platformer, and looks fantastic. I happen to like the Jak & Daxter series, and it's a fun addition
    Warriors - if you happen to like the cult movie, this one is fun. Build up your own gang, lots of unlockables, and you get to let your inner hoodlum out. And it's $20.
    Loco Roco - It's very silly and fun, and I should really be more dilligent in my quest to find everything in it
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror - how a shooter should be done on the PSP. Period.
    Puzzle Quest - Bejeweled: The RPG! Perfect gameplay for a portable.
    D&D Tactics - the interface if a little cumbersome, but dang it if it isn't D&D in your pocket. If you're a D&D geek at all, I say it's a good choice.
    Brave Story - currently playing this through, and it's astoundingly beautiful to look at, and fun to play

I would recommend the GTA games and Marvel Ulitmate Alliance, but I wound up playing them on the PS2 instead of the PSP so I can't say for sure how good they are on the PSP. MUA does have some additional content over hte PS2 version though, and I loved the PS2 version. :)

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LIST MODE ON

Justice League Heroes--It's a step down from Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but if you like the DC Universe and button-mashing dungeon crawling, it's awesome. It can also be found for much less than M: UA ($20 or less new).

Gradius Collection--I don't get tired of recommending this one, either.

Lego Star Wars II--All the fun and condensed awesome of Lego Star Wars, except without all the annoying glitches of the console versions. The initial load time is pretty long (over 1 minute) but load times in game are minimal, thankfully.

Capcom Puzzle World--Worth it to me for Super Puzzle Fighter, plus you can also find it cheap.

Capcom Arcade Collection Remixed--Worth it just for portable Bionic Commando and 1941, available new for $15-20 also.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X--I like this one more than Powered Up, but you can't really go wrong with either one. Vile Mode is excellent fun.

Lumines--It's easy to find dirt cheap and it's fantastic. One of my favorite puzzle games ever.

Puzzle Quest--You need at least one version of this game, even if you don't know it yet. Very addictive.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, from looking the past week, am I to understand that the original Lumines is no longer produced?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    LIST MODE, ENGAGED!

Puzzle Quest - It will own your SOUL
    Metal Gear Solid PO - Bought it just for the story, pretty damn good game too. The whole "can only hold 4 items at a time" thing gets a little annoying though.
    Wipeout Pure - First game I bought at its release and I still play it. Probably worth waiting out for the sequel, Pulse.
    Killzone Liberation - Great isometric shooter, with a free downloadable chapter (the best in the game IMO) and multiplayer action! Cant go wrong.
    Ace Combat X - AC handheld. 'nuff said. Abit short but loads of replayability

Theres a whole HEAP of other awesome games out there, these are just some of the truely top echlon games. PSP<3
    DVG wrote: »
    So, from looking the past week, am I to understand that the original Lumines is no longer produced?

Ebay still has copies, but the sequel is pretty much the same price with a whole bunch of extra skins. No brainer :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png