As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acquiring Unclaimed Money

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm hoping there are some people here who might be able to help me with this.

I have some old family money that is sitting in the state of New York. Not sure how much, but their are several unclaimed funds that show up. Could potentially be a lot of money.

I'm definitely the last one who can claim it, but there were several before me who have all passed. My grandmother, my father, and his 3 aunts.

The question I have is, does anyone have any idea of the process to recover this money? I have zero idea where to begin other than maybe getting death certificates for those who have passed.

Is there a place I can go, or someone I can talk to who can assist or is this something I should do on my own? I'm completely green when it comes to this stuff so any advice would be excellent.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    once you die, your money passes to your estate. At that point, the executor of the estate would be the one that could claim that money. If you are the executor of their estate(s). Likely you will have to provide a death certificate, the legal docs that show that you are the executor and a letter of instruction. Then submit all that to the state and they should help you out.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Think you're probably going to need a lawyer. I've gotten unclaimed property in my name (usually refunds), but that's pretty straightforward since all I have to do is prove identity and they mailed it to me. I'd think the process 2 generations removed is going to require legal intervention.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/ is the comptrollers website for NYS, yes it's weird it's not .gov, no I dunno why.

So do the stuff on that webpage?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Also, you can check with the New York State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service. Link.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    try and find out how much it is before you plunk down for a lawyer.
    It could be three $10 dividend checks.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So I'll probably need a lawyer.

Any idea how to go about finding out the amount?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Neither the comptroller nor the financial institutions will give you that information without establishing that you have a legit claim on the cash. You'll have to rely on documents in your possession.

Maybe contact the executor of the original account holder's estate?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    You can get started by looking it up on a state-run site (like this). You would lookup by the name of the person in which the property would be.

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    double

Djeet on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Couldnt it also be properties with back taxes/leans on it?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum