As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    handing down touch screens seems gross

have you ever touched a penis

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Do you still have Verizon's old unlimited data plan?

Yep! Is that not a thing anymore?

They have aggressively done away with it, yes. I'm not sure you can even keep it if you get a new contract on a new phone anymore.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote: »
    Xehalus wrote: »
    handing down touch screens seems gross

have you ever touched a penis

There's some questions you don't just ask, Keith!

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Do you still have Verizon's old unlimited data plan?

Yep! Is that not a thing anymore?

Nope! If you sign a new contract or change your current plan in any way, you'll lose your unlimited data. They may still take it away eventually anyway.

I've bought my last 4 phones from e-bay just to keep the unlimited data.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    So, nerds who helped me into the promised future land before I need your help again.

I have an android tablet (note 8) and a windows computer. I use an RSS feed to keep up with research for work. I really really like feedreader on my laptop, but i need something that will sync items read/unread status with my tablet. I would rally like to use a reader that like feedreader, is not run through my browser if possible.

Is feedly my only close option to this ideal? Is there something free-cheap that is an option that I have missed?

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I use gReader. I haven't tried any other ones besides Feedly which I dropped because it didn't have a notification function for new items. It's got tiny banner ads at the bottom of the screen but they're covered by translucent buttons for the app.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Friggin hell, that is an OP

just wanted to chime in to say that I got a note 3 for Christmas (somehow) and promptly traded it in for an iPhone 5s because smart watches are still in their dumb shitty overpriced preliminary phases you nerds

peace out

nah imma loiter around this thread for a while

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    So is the note 3 still hilariously running jellybean or what

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    The paper towel and Saran Wrap is to prevent potential water damage from your freezer

Otherwise yup that super works

You've all learned something today

Storing rechargeable NiMH batteries in the freezer will reduce their self-discharge rate, yes. But I've never seen anything that says it will magically restore their full-charge capacity.

It doesn't magically make them brand new, nothing's going to be as good as just straight up buying a battery

But if it's not lasting as long as it once did (typically when it gets down to 4 hours or so) it's definitely a wonderful soft reset option to get you back to six or eight for a few more months

It's one of the tricks our repair centre has told people for ages

TOMMY IS HERE EVERYONE

TOMMY IS HERE EVERYONE

t4ct aka a chocobo bro how are you doing lately sir

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    So, nerds who helped me into the promised future land before I need your help again.

I have an android tablet (note 8) and a windows computer. I use an RSS feed to keep up with research for work. I really really like feedreader on my laptop, but i need something that will sync items read/unread status with my tablet. I would rally like to use a reader that like feedreader, is not run through my browser if possible.

Is feedly my only close option to this ideal? Is there something free-cheap that is an option that I have missed?

I use Feedly on my PC's and Press on my Android phones and tablets. Greader (Pro) is also quite nice but I personally prefer the look and feel of Press. As long as you use Feedly to manage your RSS feeds and apps that can pull from Feedly will all be synced together.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Cormac wrote: »

I use Feedly on my PC's and Press on my Android phones and tablets. Greader (Pro) is also quite nice but I personally prefer the look and feel of Press. As long as you use Feedly to manage your RSS feeds and apps that can pull from Feedly will all be synced together.

Does Press do notifications like Greader?

Ah ok, pretty much the same as I found, but good to know that others like it. I will beep boop once I get home and grab my tablet. I just really liked how feedreader, by virtue of being its own little thing and not a browser, led me to less distraction/temptation.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The paper towel and Saran Wrap is to prevent potential water damage from your freezer

Otherwise yup that super works

You've all learned something today

Storing rechargeable NiMH batteries in the freezer will reduce their self-discharge rate, yes. But I've never seen anything that says it will magically restore their full-charge capacity.

It doesn't magically make them brand new, nothing's going to be as good as just straight up buying a battery

But if it's not lasting as long as it once did (typically when it gets down to 4 hours or so) it's definitely a wonderful soft reset option to get you back to six or eight for a few more months

It's one of the tricks our repair centre has told people for ages

You say it "resets" the chemicals in the battery? How does that work?

SirToasty wrote: »

Yes, but I've never used them. I'll turn them on now and see what it's like.

I thought everything and it's dog ran on lithium ion batteries now if it was rechargeable. Is this not the case for phones? And as those are solid batteries, all freezing is going to do is slow its degredation rate, which could be handy if you picked up a couple on sale or something. Use one store one in the freeze.

Also this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
    site is excellent and covers the idea. (And agrees with me, so I'm biased) Freezing will extend the storage life of your Li-ion batteries, but not help them re-gain capacity.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Though I haven't purchased one yet, I think the work tablet we'll be using for our folks at work will be the Samsung Tab 3 7.0. The Samsung tablets have the most integrated remote support and they're pretty cheap, even with LTE. Idiot Son can have the Nexus 7.

I really like the multiple user profiles.

I would strongly suggest buying one and making sure all your apps work okay first; we have one of those at work as part of the supported device matrix, and it is by some margin the worst of the lot. I may be biased because we're doing web apps, but it a:doesn't let you do remote chrome debugging without rooting (I know how to enable that on proper devices, but on these, the menu entries just aren't there), and b:has issues with rendering HTML5 canvas where we have to explicitly disable or sometimes enable 2d acceleration. It's has an awkwardly-small screen, but that's more of an issue for UX who have to make sure they design the UI with 168 less pixels than they'd expected..

On the other hand, I know nothing about remote support or any of that corporate management stuff, so if they're great at that it may well be enough of a win to overcome the other issues.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I thought everything and it's dog ran on lithium ion batteries now if it was rechargeable. Is this not the case for phones? And as those are solid batteries, all freezing is going to do is slow its degredation rate, which could be handy if you picked up a couple on sale or something. Use one store one in the freeze.

Also this: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
    site is excellent and covers the idea. (And agrees with me, so I'm biased) Freezing will extend the storage life of your Li-ion batteries, but not help them re-gain capacity.

That's what I thought, but I didn't know enough about battery chemistry to say it for sure.

Also, the Galaxy S5 was announced. Go get the details on your favorite news site.

It's pretty much the same, but with a bad fingerprint sensor (jesus christ samsung are you even trying anymore) and a not-terrible design for the back panel.

But the back panel is just as ugly and stupid looking as the S4!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Also, the Galaxy S5 was announced. Go get the details on your favorite news site.

It's pretty much the same, but with a bad fingerprint sensor (jesus christ samsung are you even trying anymore) and a not-terrible design for the back panel.

This makes two not-particularly-interesting-or-significant hardware changes in a row now. S3 to S4 was underwhelming, and now S4 to S5 is just as 'meh', but with a fingerprint scanner.

Speaking of which @a5ehren, is there a review that says the fingerprint scanner shitty, or are you just assuming it is?

The Verge preview says they had a ton of issues with it and it is very picky about orientation, speed, etc. It sounds like all the terrible fingerprint scanners on laptops that nobody uses.

But the back panel is just as ugly and stupid looking as the S4!

They say it feels better (2012 Nexus 7, apparently).

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Bleh, I need to find out how my plan with Verizon works so I can keep my unlimited data but get a new phone.

The Verge preview says they had a ton of issues with it and it is very picky about orientation, speed, etc. It sounds like all the terrible fingerprint scanners on laptops that nobody uses.

Hmm, yeah, that doesn't sound very good, does it? Hopefully a firmware revision will fix that up properly.

Bleh, I need to find out how my plan with Verizon works so I can keep my unlimited data but get a new phone.

The easiest way if you can afford it would be to outright buy your phone so you keep your current contract. Motorola is regularly doing sales on the Moto X bringing it down to the $330-350 range, but if that's too much the Moto G is also a solid phone for about $200.

This may completely depend on the Verizon rep at the store but if you've been a Verizon customer for a long time they may be willing to work with you and let you keep your current plan. My Mom's been a Verizon customer for nearly 10 years and when she switched from a dumb phone for a smartphone in September they gave her a plan that was not listed due to being a customer for so long.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Though I haven't purchased one yet, I think the work tablet we'll be using for our folks at work will be the Samsung Tab 3 7.0. The Samsung tablets have the most integrated remote support and they're pretty cheap, even with LTE. Idiot Son can have the Nexus 7.

I really like the multiple user profiles.

I would strongly suggest buying one and making sure all your apps work okay first; we have one of those at work as part of the supported device matrix, and it is by some margin the worst of the lot. I may be biased because we're doing web apps, but it a:doesn't let you do remote chrome debugging without rooting (I know how to enable that on proper devices, but on these, the menu entries just aren't there), and b:has issues with rendering HTML5 canvas where we have to explicitly disable or sometimes enable 2d acceleration. It's has an awkwardly-small screen, but that's more of an issue for UX who have to make sure they design the UI with 168 less pixels than they'd expected..

On the other hand, I know nothing about remote support or any of that corporate management stuff, so if they're great at that it may well be enough of a win to overcome the other issues.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've ordered one to test with, should be here in a day or so. Fairly certain the core apps we use should work fine, but the remote support is where I have a feeling we'll need to have the 'live view' stuff, which from the several support tools (BOMGAR and LogMeIn Rescue), only Samsung devices seem to support (at least without rooting or whatnot and I'm not sure if I even want to step into that whole situation.)

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

This makes two not-particularly-interesting-or-significant hardware changes in a row now. S3 to S4 was underwhelming, and now S4 to S5 is just as 'meh', but with a fingerprint scanner.

Speaking of which @a5ehren, is there a review that says the fingerprint scanner shitty, or are you just assuming it is?
    It's waterproof now too.

And it's one of those, who gives a shit feature but will be useful once you have it is that it opens the camera in 0.3 of a second and there are a bunch on new focusing features too.

It's notifying me in the notification bar and on the lock screen, but it's not playing a sound or making my phone vibrate like all my other notifications do.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

It's waterproof now too.

And it's one of those, who gives a shit feature but will be useful once you have it is that it opens the camera in 0.3 of a second and there are a bunch on new focusing features too.

Alt post: I see Samsung is finally catching up with apple in terms of boring, incremental updates.

The ultra power saving mode also looks super useful and I am surprised no one has implemented it before.

It's notifying me in the notification bar and on the lock screen, but it's not playing a sound or making my phone vibrate like all my other notifications do.

That's exactly how I have it set for greader. I might look into Press then.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to some reviews of the Xperia Z2, personally. I'm liking the look of it from what I've seen.

Plus, the modular camera app intrigues.

工事中
    edited February 2014
    so has this already been posted in here

Nokia Unveils New Android Phones

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Nah.

They look, kinda boring? It feels like a desperate grab by Nokia to get phones which can have more than six apps on them.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    those sure are some phones.

Also maybe it's just me and my LG G2 but those bezels are HUGE

Tallahasseeriel on
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to some reviews of the Xperia Z2, personally. I'm liking the look of it from what I've seen.

Plus, the modular camera app intrigues.

I tweeted this today but Sony is probably doing my favourite stuff with android atm

their phones basically run stock with some nifty side stuff

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Hmmm. I require advice, tech thread! Xperia Tablet Z or Z2 for (primarily) graphic novels? I do not require anything thinner or lighter than the Z, but I hear the Z2 screen is a definite improvement.

Or is it just too early to tell?

I've been on a bit of a Sony kick lately after buying a PS4, Vita, and a pair of MDR-MA900 headphones that I actually like better than my Sennheiser HD650's, so the Z2 phone and tablet are really appealing. As much as I like my Nexus 7 2013 I still kind of want a larger screen for reading after having used an iPad for a couple of years. It's too bad the Z2 phone will probably not come out on Verizon, but the tablet might be something I'd consider buying with my tax return. However, I'm wondering if Google is ever going to come out with an updated Nexus 10 in the near future.

This discussion has been closed.