As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I kind of want a pebble steel you guys. I don't need one, I don't think I'd use it very often. I just want one.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    This is a common condition.

I've almost bought a regular pebble three times.

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I kind of want a pebble steel you guys. I don't need one, I don't think I'd use it very often. I just want one.

Mine should be here soon! I say go for it cause it's cool as heck

In other news

Everything I've heard about the Z2 Tablet screen makes me think that's the one to go with (it being lighter and thinner than an iPad Air doesn't hurt either) since viewing angles are way better on the newer screen tech

Personally I think the screen on the Z1 is great as-is so I'm super anxious to see a Z2 in person

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just realized my phone has a built in wireless storage transfer thing...

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    In other news

Everything I've heard about the Z2 Tablet screen makes me think that's the one to go with (it being lighter and thinner than an iPad Air doesn't hurt either) since viewing angles are way better on the newer screen tech

Personally I think the screen on the Z1 is great as-is so I'm super anxious to see a Z2 in person

Goddammit, even more waiting time. We've been scoping out tablets for a year and a half. The Z has been the only one we've been properly enthusiastic about in all that time.

Guess the Z2 might be worth the wait.

I mean like check out the Z in person and if it solves the problem I'd just get it

I'm speaking purely from hearing about the Z2 tablet from other people

It's not like the Z has bad viewing angles it's just that the Z2 is nuts

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Also, the Galaxy S5 was announced. Go get the details on your favorite news site.

It's pretty much the same, but with a bad fingerprint sensor (jesus christ samsung are you even trying anymore) and a not-terrible design for the back panel.

This makes two not-particularly-interesting-or-significant hardware changes in a row now. S3 to S4 was underwhelming, and now S4 to S5 is just as 'meh', but with a fingerprint scanner.

Speaking of which @a5ehren, is there a review that says the fingerprint scanner shitty, or are you just assuming it is?
    It's waterproof now too.

And it's one of those, who gives a shit feature but will be useful once you have it is that it opens the camera in 0.3 of a second and there are a bunch on new focusing features too.

Better camera is always nice, of course. These waterproof claims are fucking suspect to me until I see a manufacturer willing to back themselves on it though. Who was it that had ads featuring their phones being used to take photos underwater, and then the warranty is all like "DO NOT EVEN USE THIS PHONE IN THE WINTER MONTHS BECAUSE HUMIDITY"?

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The paper towel and Saran Wrap is to prevent potential water damage from your freezer

Otherwise yup that super works

You've all learned something today

Storing rechargeable NiMH batteries in the freezer will reduce their self-discharge rate, yes. But I've never seen anything that says it will magically restore their full-charge capacity.

It doesn't magically make them brand new, nothing's going to be as good as just straight up buying a battery

But if it's not lasting as long as it once did (typically when it gets down to 4 hours or so) it's definitely a wonderful soft reset option to get you back to six or eight for a few more months

It's one of the tricks our repair centre has told people for ages

You say it "resets" the chemicals in the battery? How does that work?

have you ever touched a penis

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I mean like check out the Z in person and if it solves the problem I'd just get it

I'm speaking purely from hearing about the Z2 tablet from other people

It's not like the Z has bad viewing angles it's just that the Z2 is nuts

Well, the Z is absolutely what we want. It's the go-to device to fondle in any and every electronics store. But the Z2 is just... more of what we want, potentially.

Might just wait till the Z2 is out to see whether the difference is big enough to want it over the Z.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Heh

So the devs behind the video game, Rust, use a free project management program called trello to track updates to the game. They keep one of the boards publicly viewable so your average punter can track what's going on with the game

Intrigued, I had a play with it and long story short I'm the next Great White Jesus With All The Cool Trendy New Ideas

Thanks you, video games you've come through for me once again

Honestly though, Trello is pretty darn great if you're after some lightweight, easy to use project management software!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Heh

So the devs behind the video game, Rust, use a free project management program called trello to track updates to the game. They keep one of the boards publicly viewable so your average punter can track what's going on with the game

Intrigued, I had a play with it and long story short I'm the next Great White Jesus With All The Cool Trendy New Ideas

Honestly though, Trello is pretty darn great if you're after some lightweight, easy to use project management software!

You're an ideas man! Somebody give this man a million dollar paypacket and a yacht!

Heh

You're an ideas man! Somebody give this man a million dollar paypacket and a yacht!

Oh, I just meant getting the bloody spanner back!

Yes, your method does sound pretty good to me too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've been looking at Basecamp myself. My issue is user adoption

Buh buh buh I have a piece of paper right here showing the status of this project!

I've been looking at Basecamp myself. My issue is user adoption

Buh buh buh I have a piece of paper right here showing the status of this project!

Yeah, basecamp is real slick too. To be honest, the trello thing just kind of happened organically and had a head of steam before I pushed it a bit more. I'm also only talking about a buy in from 10 - 12 people max though.

Not that I want to teach you to suck eggs, but maybe just try and get a few of your best and brightest on board, get a project on there and see what happens? If your guys are literally just using a pad and own diary, there will surely be some who will benefit and get excited about it. Our guys had come over from trying to manage MS Project and it was just all a bit too hard for them

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Put your lips up againsts them and inhale Dan. Through your mouth.

Heh

Oh, I just meant getting the bloody spanner back!

Yes, your method does sound pretty good to me too

So did I.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    friends

i have not been in this thread for a while

but

so

my computer fucked itself after BSOD'ing and then a system restore that fucked everything worse

but the files are still there, just inaccessible due to permissions and things being messed up in windows

nbd really actually because i've been due for an upgrade to an SSD

looks like the champ is 840 Pro, 250GB

seems reasonable

questions:

1) any reason not to get that SSD

2) anything i need to do to install the SSD other than plug into the SATA port and unplug the other drive + insert windows CD

3) I have a Win 7 license and CD for this computer, it is 3.5 years old now - is it worth getting Windows 8, and from where should i

4) hmm anything else worth upgrading while i'm at it? i think not

poo
    oh right and
    5) once i get important files off the other drive, what's best way to make it be my secondary data drive

poo
    i really need a local backup solution but at least all my important files are backblaze'd / dropbox'd

poo
    friends

i have not been in this thread for a while

but

so

my computer fucked itself after BSOD'ing and then a system restore that fucked everything worse

but the files are still there, just inaccessible due to permissions and things being messed up in windows

nbd really actually because i've been due for an upgrade to an SSD

looks like the champ is 840 Pro, 250GB

seems reasonable

questions:

1) any reason not to get that SSD

2) anything i need to do to install the SSD other than plug into the SATA port and unplug the other drive + insert windows CD

3) I have a Win 7 license and CD for this computer, it is 3.5 years old now - is it worth getting Windows 8, and from where should i

4) hmm anything else worth upgrading while i'm at it? i think not

1) Not really any point to spending the extra $ for the Pro model, the 840 EVO is fast and reliable. 250 gigs for $156, Prime shipping.

2) Nope, should work. Just make sure you put it into the fastest SATA port on your mobo.

3) Make the change. Win 8.1 is lickety-split quick, and stable and easy to use.

4) What else you got? Can we Tri-SLI some GTX780Ti cards into your rig?
    oh right and
    5) once i get important files off the other drive, what's best way to make it be my secondary data drive

5) Deep format the drive. Plug it in. Make sure your BIOS knows it's NOT a boot drive, then call it Shaz's Backup Drive. Done.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    If the computer runs windows 7, and you like windows 7, i'd stick with it. I will say though, that after getting used to windows 8, and especially post 8.1 update, I like it. It runs a little faster than 7, and pulling up whatever file/program i want just by hitting the windows key (it finally has a use!) and starting to type the name is great.
    That said, it has scrambled a lot of options and settings around in annoying ways that will make you dearly miss older windows. But once you DO get them set, you should be good.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you already have a Win7 license, I wouldn't go to Win8 unless you can get it cheap. Just wait for your next build and get Windows 9 or whatever.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I just got a Google Glass invite but I don't have $1500 to spend on it

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

Just touch 1500 dicks for $1 each

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    "sorry. I am no longer taking cases pro bone-o"

Artreus wrote: »

Man, if I could make money that way...

Touch 1/2 a dick for $3000?

Oh really

Oh really

Y...yes? I don't have the money?

I'm sorry that I'm poor

how you doin

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I may wait for a review or two or maybe the possibility of a refreshed Nexus 10 in the next month or so, but I think I'm going to buy a Z2 tablet with part of my tax return. I just want something bigger than my Nexus 7 for reading comics and manga which is the primary thing I do on my tablets. I have about $50 in Sony points I can use to save a bit on the 16gb version and then put in a big micro SD card for the extra space I'll need.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    ok these things make sense

and getting the EVO in lieu of the PRO seems reasonable way to save nearly 50 bucks

poo

how you doin

Hey! I resent that! I have at least 3/4 of a dick!

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey tech thread

Recommend me a car mount for my cellphone

My brackettron finally gave up the ghost after almost 2 years and I'm just wondering if there's anything better out there

My ride is a Hyundai elantra if that helps

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Hey tech thread

My brackettron finally gave up the ghost after almost 2 years and I'm just wondering if there's anything better out there

My DIY answer.
    My expensive answer.
    My 'what I currently am eyeing as I use the diy answer' answer.

The galaxy tab is a cute little dealie. Bigger than a phone, smaller than the Nexus 7 by a bit so in theory they could pocket the thing in some slacks, but whatever doo doo Samsung put on it compared what I'm assuming is the stock Android UI on the N7 is really weird.

The TeamViewer QuickSupport totally works for doing remote support though, it's pretty cool and hopefully it will help whoever has to support these idiots after I peace the fuck out in a few months.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Had anyone else noticed chrome leaking a ton of memory in the last couple days? I think it's associated with the "feature" where it automatically opens every downloaded pdf in that stupid embedded window. My memory usage doesn't ever seen to go all the way back down until I completely close out of chrome. I can have one tab of Gmail left open and it's still chugging down like two and a half gigs of ram.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Hey tech thread

My DIY answer.
    My expensive answer.
    My 'what I currently am eyeing as I use the diy answer' answer.

wow, that exogear looks great

and its only $30? dang, sounds like that's what I'm gonna try. thanks iguanacus!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Lemme know how it is, that seems p cool for $30

This discussion has been closed.