As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My phone is eating my music - Galaxy S4

NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
So, I have a Galaxy S4 (through Sprint, not sure if it matters), and I got an SD card so I could throw all my musics on it, but the phone keeps deleting my music.

So, I have tried both connecting the phone to my computer directly with a USB and removing the card and plugging it straight into my computer (adapter) to add music. In each case I can browse to the folder, find the music, and even listen to it if I hold down the file and hit "play". So, it works, but then the minute the card isn't connected to the computer and I actually load up a music player (either of the players that came with the phone) it just eats the song. The song is entirely wiped from the card.

The weird thing is the phone can detect the card no problem. I can browse it in files and see subfolders and browse those. It shows up in my settings menu and everything. Plus, the very first thing I did was to plug it into the phone and format it, so that's done. When I connect the phone to my computer, I can find the card, it's there, I can navigate everything, that's all fine.

I just want to listen to my precious tunes. How do I make this happen?

• Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    Has the phone ever worked correctly with this SD card or any other SD card?

Do you happen to have another SD card you can borrow and see if that one does the same thing?

I agree it's a very odd issue. The fact it's a Sprint S4 shouldn't have anything to do with it though.

• Options
    I have never had to use an SD card with this phone before. I had an iPod but someone stole it, so I grabbed the card.
    And I live in Oregon, so everyone has an iPhone...I'll see if I can find another card but odds are low.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Do you need a card? How much space is available on the phone?

It's not the best, but Google Music lets you upload all your music to it, then you can stream or download just what you want on your phone. If the answer is ALL OF IT!, I guess a card is the way to go.

Also you could probably get a card from Best Buy or Walgreens or whatever to check if it's the card. Just in case it "doesn't work," check their return policies.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    First off, back up the card so that you don't lose anything permanently.

Check to see if the app you're using may be deleting the music through some over zealous drm shenanigans. Try a different music app.

If that doesn't work, do a factory reset on the phone and see if that helps.

Barring that, try not to call sprint's customer service, because you'll get transferred to me, and I'll tell you bullshit like, "I know that's a frustrating experience," while surfing google behind an overzealous firewall for answers.

• Options
    The place I live has... let's say, questionable coverage, so the streaming thing doesn't work. But, I did figure it out with far more work than should have ever been necessary for a stupid SD card.

When the card was formatted, folders were made titles things like "samsung.music" and the such. So I thought that the fold the phone made specifically asking for music was where the phone would find music. Hahaha I'm such a goof. Turns out that's where music goes to die, not to be played for joyous times. You have to make your own folders for music before it works and I have no idea why other than a general desire to see people suffer.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate them.

• Options
    xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular

Check to see if the app you're using may be deleting the music through some over zealous drm shenanigans. Try a different music app.

Barring that, try not to call sprint's customer service, because you'll get transferred to me, and I'll tell you bullshit like, "I know that's a frustrating experience," while surfing google behind an overzealous firewall for answers.

Nice to know Sprint's CS/Tech and Verizon's CS/Tech function along the same lines :smiley:

Though it sounds like our firewall is a little... less zealous than yours.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    xThanatoSx wrote: »

Nice to know Sprint's CS/Tech and Verizon's CS/Tech function along the same lines :smiley:

Though it sounds like our firewall is a little... less zealous than yours.

You use icare, also.