As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New mobile style

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
Ugh, I hate to sound whiny and bitchy but is there a preference to where I can change it back?

With this new style the avatars and text size are way to large for my phone's screen

newSig.jpg
Nocren on

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Totally agree, I'd like to change it back

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Given that every time there has been a style change there has been no option to "go back" I would doubt one would suddenly crop up.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just saw the new style... and yeah do not like. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Shit....

Is there a way I can disable the toolbars? Since those new tool bars pop up now, combined with my browser's toolbars, I've got like half a screen.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    With some tweaks it could be pretty cool

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Its all white and unstyled text and links for me. Im assuming its still being pushed out/worked on.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Trying to view it on a tiny iphone screen is gonna be tough. Especially with all the images for every agree, awesome, etc.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My only comment would be the large avatars for the reactions on a phone. I'm sure that's a thing that will be handled though. Things get rolled out in stages sometimes.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I can't quite seem to figure out how to get from, say, a thread in SE++ to an overview of the entire forums on the new mobile site.

Maybe I am just missing something or the implementation is still being... implemented?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I like some aspects of it, but if it's still in the 'optimistic enough about development that outside input isn't a laughable joke' phase, some settings to adjust text/image size would go a long way in usability.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I have an old phone and the new mobile forums aren't working at all.

On the forum index, I can see the first four forums, but can't scroll and nothing reacts to being pressed.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure if this is a proper venue for this, but I have a couple of suggestions for the new mobile site:

It's hard to determine which threads have no posts, especially in the bookmark page. Not to say it's impossible, but it was definitely easier before the update.

The way posts are broken up seems odd, like they're in their own boxes. Maybe that's intentional?

I'm liking the bar of links at the bottom though, although it might be helpful to hide it some times to prevent accidentally hitting one of the links.

Edit: Being able to favorite threads on the mobile site? Thank you!

Also italic works!

emp123 on
  • Options
    I
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I can't quite seem to figure out how to get from, say, a thread in SE++ to an overview of the entire forums on the new mobile site.

Maybe I am just missing something or the implementation is still being... implemented?

Backing out to the main page of a forum, then the hamburger in the upper left should slide out and reveal some navigation options

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ya, hopefully still being implemented. This is whats on my s3 phone.
    b2mk.png

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    The hamburger/3 lines doesn't work for me. I press it and nothing happens.

Also whenever I enter a thread it looks like all my data (avatar/name/notices) show up in a pull down before disappearing and then going to the newest unread post.

And linking to a thread via notifications via toolbar doesn't work at the moment either. (But make new thread and view inbox do!)
    Works now!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I really dislike this configuration and as soon as I can figure out how to force the site to use the desktop version, I'm going to.

• Options
    ZAT4l5m.png

xUUSoy8.png

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    The hamburger/3 lines doesn't work for me. I press it and nothing happens.

Also whenever I enter a thread it looks like all my data (avatar/name/notices) show up in a pull down before disappearing and then going to the newest unread post.

And linking to a thread via notifications via toolbar doesn't work at the moment either. (But make new thread and view inbox do!)

Yes also the hamburger is broken on my iPhone 5

Man, this really blows because the old mobile site was incredibly easy to navigate and use, but I'd rather deal with navigating a desktop version than the new thing. It's way too tight and there are too many pieces that need to load each with each page, like the toolbar, which gets in the way and takes up too much space.

Langly on
  • Options
    Eh, ill give it a month. By then Ill probably either be used to it or they will have worked out the kinks.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I think it mostly just needs a slightly smaller font. I really like how I can now access my bookmarks.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    I don't know if new thread/poll is best suited for the bottom uh hover button bar. Not sure what would best replace it though. Maybe a home button to quickly jump to the forum list?

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah Dan, I kinda figured that's what it's suppose to do, yet doesn't. (For me, anyway).

But I get that grey box for a split second before I go to the post in the thread.

Also I'm on a iPhone 4S using iOS 7.0.4 if that helps

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Hmmm Since the new style launched, every time I click on, for example, the Dark Souls thread in G&T, I'm immediately logged out of the forums and sent to the first page of the thread rather than the most recent unread one. Seems like a bug I'd report here.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of this new layout. Using Firefox for Android on my Nexus 5, the text is relatively huge. I can only really fit one post on screen at a time. When I am in the top layer where I can see all of the forums, the little "hamburger" for extra options/navigation works, but as soon as I enter a forum it stops working altogether.

As others have said, I have a hard time seeing which threads have new posts in them. I already miss the different shades of blue.

Also, when typing a post, if I reach the bottom of the text box, it expands downward. Firefox won't move the keyboard or the new softkeys down, so eventually I can't see what I'm typing. If I click a soft key on accident (say, my inbox) it jumps me all the way back to the top of the page.

• Options
    It just feels incredibly claustrophobic

• Options
    I dunno about the prev mobile forum being okay, navigating between pages was a constant crapshoot of 'did I tap the right page or not?'

The new mobile seems to be trying to be more tap friendly but in doing so some UI elements have to become bigger/more unique touch targets.

Here's an odd bug, the hover button bar doesn't anchor properly so you can trick it into just sitting in the middle of your post but it also obscures text. Until you tap done and hide your keyboard.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Given that every time there has been a style change there has been no option to "go back" I would doubt one would suddenly crop up.

Maybe there should be, until this version is actually useable. The main thing is just the text size.

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Yeah Dan, I kinda figured that's what it's suppose to do, yet doesn't. (For me, anyway).

But I get that grey box for a split second before I go to the post in the thread.

Also I'm on a iPhone 4S using iOS 7.0.4 if that helps

Update to 7.0.6 what is your DEAL
    I83nZVY.png
    Hover bar thing bug

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Hamburger should be fixed now.

• Options
    Mainly cause I didn't know there was a new version till I just checked.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Indeed!

• Options
    Reaction totals as numbers seem like a good compromise vs tiny avatars!

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    edited February 2014
    All this font size feedback is excellent, we will be tweaking aggressively.

Just so you guys are aware (since from the sounds of some of these comments, perhaps its a mystery?), the intent is not to inflict new things on you, but to improve your experience with them. This was intended to be a dramatic improvement in a lot of ways, both for you guys and for our ability to maintain the mobile version. You'd better believe we're all about making it better over time.

IcyLiquid on
  • Options
    Now bring back the monkey emote :V

• Options
    Woo boy those autocompletes and style menus break stuff something fierce.

• Options
    Also, if we're considering tweaks, removing titles/locations from mobile might help with the crowding, or make those fonts way smaller.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I picked up my phone after reading this thread on my desktop with trepidation, but at first glance I'd say I'm OK with this. Having everything a little bigger makes it easier to navigate threads and pages. Previously, as Abracadaniel said, it took real precision tapping just to get around with my average-sized male hands, even on a phone with a 5" screen (Galaxy S4).

• Options
    Aw, I thought the Recent Threads thing was recently *viewed* threads not recently created ones :(

• Options
    Oh p.s. since @Abracadaniel‌ reminded me... @ mentions now sport AUTO SUGGEST. Just hit @ and start typing, and if you wait half a second it will offer some helpful suggested users for you. Like fuckin magic.

• Options
    Ahhh, bookmarks. Never bothered with them but now on phone they make it super easy to jump to my 'regular' threads. I like!