As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New mobile style

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    (The bookmark stars on a forum page are nearly as bad as the old page numbers as far as touch targets go)

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yay bookmarks on mobile! Thanks for that.

As long as the color scheme stays dark I will get used to anything :smile:

• Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Mainly cause I didn't know there was a new version till I just checked.
    Fixes a super major security flaw

EVERYBODY UPDATE YOUR IPHONES

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Mainly cause I didn't know there was a new version till I just checked.
    Fixes a super major security flaw

EVERYBODY UPDATE YOUR IPHONES

NO LEAVE THEM, YOUR EMAILS ARE HILARIOU- yeah... I mean update them.

• Options
    While you're at it opt out of Dropbox's new TOS change

This has been your Smart Hero PSA

• Options
    Suggestion:
    Make the PA logo at the top take you to the 'top' of the forums

Also being able to selectively hide some forums on mobile would be super cool. I don't do a ton of browsing when I'm on my phone, usually stick to one or two sub forums so that could reduce some of that scrolling around.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    The font size in actual posts is gigantic but the page buttons are great! They were so tiny before. I noticed that if I press the emoticon button, they all show up but hover in the same place on the screen and prevent me from reentering the text field if my keyboard closes unless I pick a smiley.

• Options
    oh! The pa logo takes you to the top of the page

*clever girl*

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Suggestion: Navigating the subforums would be super easy if they were all listed in the hamburger menu instead of having to go back to the thread view first.

e: Is that what it's actually called? A hamburger? I've never heard it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Haha woo do not use the expanded reply button on mobile

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Also, if we're considering tweaks, removing titles/locations from mobile might help with the crowding, or make those fonts way smaller.

Definitely yes. The title/location/user role stuff runs into each other, so you end up with "Abracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular" all in one generously-sized line.

• Options
    Pretty sure it started as a joke on twitter and everybody just rolled with it

• Options
    Holy butts the new profile page is like a bajillion times better.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'll be the disenting opinion!

I like it! It feels like the post you are reading is super "in focus"

Threads that I have yet to visit say "new" if that can be removed it would be easier to see what threads I'm not interest in.

Also the bottom pop up bar is currently inaccessible for me as I use dolphin and the bottom menu bar for dolphin only pops up when I scroll up and it overlays the new notification window thingie.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I feel like you lose a lot of screen real estate (almost 1/3) when you hold your phone sideways due to the new button bar thing at the bottom and the ever present PA logo at the top, and this is coming from someone with a Galaxy S3.

• Options
    New profile page is missing BIDEO game friendcode funtime PSXbro handles

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    A discovery! The hamburger stops hamburging while viewing a profile.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    If I may make another suggestion, it'd be great if the new post count was highlighted in yellow like it was in the old noble interface. Right now, there's the total number of posts, then the number of new posts in bold, but that doesn't really stand out really well.

• Options
    Also, clicking the options gear icon on one's posts doesn't really work in Firefox for Android. The thread goes dark, but no options menu overlay appears.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I might be missing it but are the BBCode quick-links to formatting (italics, spoilers, etc) currently unavailable for this version?

If so, is there a plan to have them?

Cuz typing the img tag on my phone every time is a pain in the balls

EDIT: oh god I couldn't figure out how to edit for a minute there

I fear change

Sheri on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Are spoilers not working for anyone else?

I'm kinda digging this otherwise, though I'm pretty wobbly on things at the moment.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah.

It really is hard to see the difference between a thread you have viewed, one you haven't viewed and one you have viewed which has new posts.

Also the current colour layout for the next page buttons (which are a pleasant large size!) is too pale to really see.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    There's no page buttons at the top of the screen as far as I can see. And that's pretty awful. Everything else is fine, I can deal with it, but having to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page just to get to the prev/next buttons sucks.

• Options
    And if I'm just making random demands, is there an advantage of showing how many views have been made to a thread?

• Options
    Are spoilers not working for anyone else?

I'm kinda digging this otherwise, though I'm pretty wobbly on things at the moment.

Yeah, spoilers weren't working for me either.

• Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    Spoiler tags broken here as well. Android Chrome user.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Holy hell, bookmarks in my mobile view? It's more likely than you think!

Random format
    test

Android 4.3 Chrome Bugs:
    Spoiler/quote/code menu appears as plain text at bottom of screen (style in the works, maybe?) (Same for "edit")

There appears to be no way to back out the add image feature.

The header/footer bars seem to appear and disappear at random when scrolling through a thread.

Comment: Overall, pretty nice. Quick bar for bookmarks and such saves a trip to the profile and a few page loads.

E: Oh, shit. Search thread is nice add too.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I love the new access to profile features with the new layout.

love it.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Spoilers engaged!

-Making the PA logo link to forum root would definitely be a big plus.

-Text following Dog's first comic post now wraps, allowing comic to use the full page width in landscape.

-I miss seeing who made the last post in a thread, but more obvious 'new posts' indicators are all that's needed there.

-Absent the 'latest post' being shown on forum list, a new post indicator on forums would be useful for slow places like the hub and circus. As it stands we need burn a page load to poke our head in to see if anything is going on.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me how to force desktop view in the new style? I can't find the button

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The mobile theme isn't going to be rolled back. It's part of a Vanilla update. I will say the following things in its defence (I haven't really looked at it yet.
    1. It has a lot of new features and things
    2. You people are fucking babies and complain when we change anything. This is irrefutable fact.

• Options
    Sending a PM is currently a mess.

As soon as I try and type in a name it goes crazy and everything disappears.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Scrolling while the autocomplete list is up causes a slice of the sidebar menu to appear at bottom of the page.

Attempting to backspace over an @ notification that you chose with the autocomplete causes some bonkers shit. Keyboard suggestions imply you are deleting text, but text area doesn't update.

Test (Apologies if this summons anyone):
    @Cylinder‌ uid‌

Edit: Apparently it's wysiwyg, so what my keyboard thinks is there doesn't match the actual string being submitted. The "uid" is a remnant of IcyLiquid, which I started deleting midword and wound up with the above after another autocomplete. I can't delete either the @ or the fragment without selecting them and hitting delete.

So, that sounds Fun! to troubleshoot..

Ringo: "Request desktop site" still works in chrome. I'm sure the equivalent user agent swap still holds in other browsers.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Thanks for the feedback @ArbitraryDescriptor‌, will look in the morning for sure.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Hmmm Since the new style launched, every time I click on, for example, the Dark Souls thread in G&T, I'm immediately logged out of the forums and sent to the first page of the thread rather than the most recent unread one. Seems like a bug I'd report here.

That's been happening intermittently on the normal forums too. Sometimes it also marks the thread as read, leaving you to try to sort through multiple pages manually to find your place again.
    emp123 wrote: »
    I feel like you lose a lot of screen real estate (almost 1/3) when you hold your phone sideways due to the new button bar thing at the bottom and the ever present PA logo at the top, and this is coming from someone with a Galaxy S3.

Eh, more like 1/5 or so, but yeah, combined with the large text size, you can only get like 1 mid-sized paragraph a page, even vertically. Also, sometimes when I rotate it, I get a blank blue post area horizontally.

I noticed in thread list, the bars hide when you scroll, and then reappear again (on ios) if you tap to bring up the browser interface, but the bars are always visible in post views

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The mobile theme isn't going to be rolled back. It's part of a Vanilla update. I will say the following things in its defence (I haven't really looked at it yet.
    1. It has a lot of new features and things
    2. You people are fucking babies and complain when we change anything. This is irrefutable fact.

Hey, once I realized we were stuck with it, I started offering suggestions to help (and it's been amazing watching the changes happen in almost real time).

Now if you'll excuse it's time for my bottle and nap.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hey, once I realized we were stuck with it, I started offering suggestions to help (and it's been amazing watching the changes happen in almost real time).

Oh yeah, I wasn't talking to anyone in particular.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Could the giant omnipresent hotbar on the top and bottom sides of the screen be removed, or at least add an option to disable them? They mostly seem to just give quick access to features that don't need to be quickly accessed and take up a ton of real estate that could have posts in them

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i like it

it feels like it should probably be an app

but I like it