As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New mobile style

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    The one thing i'd say from a UI perspective that hasn't really been mentioned is that I feel like in terms of presentation, edge-to-edge almost always looks better modern mobile browsing

it's the reason Instagram and similar apps have their pictures fit from the full left side of the screen to the right -- I like the route that posts went with this update, but they could do with taking up a little more of the overall screen real estate. Right now the margins feel bigger than they need to be.

also the floating toolbar does some bonkers stuff sometimes

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble using the mobile site. I see the top of the page but can't scroll and the only things that respond to clicks are the subforum/thread links (Android, Dolphin HD).

If I switch to the factory standard browser scrolling causes a grey box to cover the screen and obscure everything.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I can only seem to do anything in "desktop mode" (i think this is called?). Cant open spoilers. All kinds of bars and windows and stuff obscuring my screen. Tried to post in whatever the regular mobile mode is but it wouldnt let me?

Really i dont complain about shit normally. Its your site, changing with the times is a good thing and there are sometimes hiccups with these kinds of changes. But this is really really hard to use right now

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    It would be nice to have some indication of how many pages are in the thread you are viewing

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    The one thing i'd say from a UI perspective that hasn't really been mentioned is that I feel like in terms of presentation, edge-to-edge almost always looks better modern mobile browsing

it's the reason Instagram and similar apps have their pictures fit from the full left side of the screen to the right -- I like the route that posts went with this update, but they could do with taking up a little more of the overall screen real estate. Right now the margins feel bigger than they need to be.

The design is similar to facebook's card style which is fine but the larger font and the dark background gives it a total different feel which makes it look like there is less space.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Nocren wrote: »
    Ugh, I hate to sound whiny and bitchy but is there a preference to where I can change it back?

With this new style the avatars and text size are way to large for my phone's screen
    Likewise! I get two or three lines of text on the screen at a time now, is ridiculous.
    Quote is only action button on bottom, no Agree, awesome, or so raven.
    The black bear on bottom with bookmarks and such keeps popping up every time I scroll even a tiny bit, restricting the screen even more.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    I like the size on my iPhone 5 and especially love the not tiny buttons for pages.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    @Smrtnik‌ what's your handset / browser? They can probably tailor the size somewhat if they know the specs they need to make exceptions for.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Looks like the reaction buttons sometimes appear and then disappear. I can't tell what makes it happen. Nexus 5.
    Embedded YouTube video is one line high, as in one letter high. Can pretty much see only the title.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I haven't had a lot of time to bop around on my phone, but when I did, here is my feedback:

The reaction avatars from people take up a load of space, and honestly, as far as the bookmarks page goes, I don't really care about seeing the avatar of the person who originally made the thread at all

It feels veryyy claustrophobic, I do 90% of my browsing on mobile (except for right now when I'm at a PC) and I like being able to take in loads of information. Maybe have a way to scale it for different sized phones? I'm on an iphone 4 and one post takes up all of my screen, often even more

It loads pretty slow, which is a bummer, the old site was super fast which made it great for browsing on my morning commute. Especially when trying to use the 'hamburger'?? Also the hamburger?? seems to pop up while I'm scrolling, and I am doing a lot of scrolling

very hard to tell what threads have new posts in them/I've read/Haven't read. Better when I can see more threads at a time, because I tend to chew away at the ones at the top then move down the list

Can't change the page from the top of a thread/can't see how many pages there are

also everyones saying we have bookmarks now for mobile... I'm a bit confused because we used to as well?? And I loved how that page looked, it was what I navigated from primarily. I prettymuch never viewed the actual forum, just went from bookmarks->page and back.

I look forward to discovering the new features though!! Will boop around more later

Kochikens on
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    The @ auto suggest is a great idea, but they're coming up white text on the white post box

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I can tap the menu that pops out of the left side of the screen when I'm in a thread. Its acting as if its invisible, but the links still work, meaning I'll be randomly redirected to my profile or notifications or recent posts. That menu isnt even available while reading a thread; the button is replaced by the back button.

Also the reaction avatars are a bit on the huge side

edit: it seems I can touch them anywhere, but links that are supposed to be on the page, like links to forums or someones profile page are working as intended. Its as if the menu is behind everything.

Windows Phone 8.0
    Internet Explorer

tugga on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, like kochis is post there was like 5 pages top to bottom on my screen, which is a bit hard to follow.
    Blake T wrote: »

The design is similar to facebook's card style which is fine but the larger font and the dark background gives it a total different feel which makes it look like there is less space.

It keeps making me think the post itself is a quote

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    one thing I'd like back is a button that switches to the Desktop site, like the old mobile version had.

It's comforting to know that if I'm having trouble navigating, or getting confused with some UI aspect, that I can just switch to non-mobile and get it done.

currently have http://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/nomobile hard bookmarked, in the meantime.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    My only complaint now I've played around a bit and figured out where things are is that it's hard to distinguish at a glance between threads I read and threads I don't.

Due to the highlighting on the old scheme I could scan the index in about a second. Would be nice to see that come back as a feature

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Like the new layout but would make a small suggestion. It would be nice if threads that I have read, but not starred, and that have new posts get bolded or the color changed. Same with starred threads. Would make it easier for me to identify threads I am active in or actively reading.

Also, the ability to change font size... It's slightly too big.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying the redesign as it provides the much needed access to my favorites.

I've found one thing I'd like changed however. Okay two now that I'm typing this up on my phone because the hot bar is covering the text field and I can't seem to move it to see the top lines of this paragraph. So I hope autocorrect didn't screw those words up.

Anyhow, the format of "gethrolls" is now unreadable. If it helps I'm using safari on an iPhone 5s, all updated and such.

Geth roll 1d20 for a glaring example.

a glaring example:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Responsiveness to all the feedback is awesome. Thanks very much. <3

Sounds like font size is being addressed. As it is now, my old thumbs will need to do five times as much scrolling to get through a thread page. The new profile page is super keen. On the old page I always had to turn my phone sideways to get people's agrees, awesomes and bros/ravens to separate and be clickable. This is a nice upgrade. I agree that a better distinction for unread posts would be lovely. (Like Kochikens, I'm surprised at how many people didn't use bookmarks on the old mobile site.)

My big concern is that when I clicked a thread with 40 some unread messages it took me to the top of the last page in the thread. There were still 8-10 unread posts on the previous page.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Only additive request I have is to bring back breadcrumbs or a link that gets me back to the subforum im browsing, not the entire forum as a whole

Unless its here somewhere and im missing it.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    On Android 2.3.6 the top and bottom bars scroll with the page (rather than staying absolutely positioned) until you stop scrolling which makes for a lot of distracting/obstructive UI if you're looking for a link.

Additionally, it can't figure out how to scroll within the bookmarks popup thing, meaning I have access to my bookmarks (yay) but only the top five or so (boo).

My phone may be old garbage these days but the fancypants mobile stuff really makes everything harder to use now. I also just noticed the bottom bar moves with the keyboard so I'm typing into this tiny window and only have six or seven lines of context, losing about 1/4 the space to nav bars and some more still to the Post Reply button that remains visible throughout.

I hate to be "that guy" but aside from seeing bookmarks now this is a step backwards for my phone and if there's a way to get to the desktop site I would love it until the mobile theme improves greatly or I get a new phone.

Edit: also my phone is on fire after that post, and scrolling keeps locking up for 5 seconds, and while editing this post the browser keeps focusing down on the new post input field, making the window hop around as I type.

bss on
    3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Ah, I guess thats the top left arrow in a thread that replaces the hamburger. Hmm. Wonder if that is the right icon or not. Seeing that I wouldve thought it was just a back-one-page-in-thread button.

But I cant think of what else it would be right now.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I didn't see the mobile site until this morning but I'm very happy with the changes to layout, functionality (seriously changing pages reliably was impossible before) and elasticity/approachability/determinability/probability.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I like that everything is loading faster, which helps when you live in bumfucknowhere like I do. But I totally cant see what I'm typing because my keyboard seems to block the whole thing, and the quick menus arent helping either. Any way to cause the text box to move upwards when you open the keyboard?

Edit: Also noticed that when I'm scrolling the hamburger menu kinda ghost into view. So far hitting it hasn't cause it do to anything but it blurs alot of the page.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    OK now that I have used it a bit more one thing I will say is that the personal text next to people's avatars could definitely stand to be a good bit smaller.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Maybe found another bug. Geth isn't hiding rolls in spoilers anymore.
    Edit: Never mind. Not sure why get glitched in my 13th Age game just now.

Edit: Now I just can't read spoilers...
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for test.

test:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The side bar that loads up glitches out like crazy every time I load a page

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Is there an explanation anywhere? What do the buttons on the bottom do(I clicked and they seem to do nothing?) How do I edit a post. Where did the spoiler button disappear to. How do I navigate with this new system. Etc.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    This new mobile style works WAY better on my phone. I love it.

5 stars would post again

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Also, when I scroll down fast, a side bar thing appears. How do I get it to show up regularly. It looks like it could be useful if I could actually use it. Not complaining. I just feel very old and out of sorts since I can't seem to figure this out

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Deleted

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    Anyone else getting crazy load times

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    This new mobile style works WAY better on my phone. I love it.

5 stars would post again

Yeah, my S3's default browser is handling it like a champ, except for the nested spoiler issue.

One question, I would like to test drive the new layout on my Nexus 7 tablet but Chrome keeps defaulting to the desktop layout. How can I force that to go back to mobile?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I found the hamburger people are talking about. Clicking on it does nothing
    Edit- Hey, I figured it out. It may just not work with Dolphin Browser. Now to use Chrome. Just have to figure out how to see spoilers now

MulysaSempronius on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Bugs with the new layout:
    No way to open spoilers
    When scrolling through a page quickly the home menu ("hamburger bar") clips through the page.
    Difficult to track the topics you've visited before or which have new posts.
    Agree/awesome/raven reaction avatars are a big as regular avatars
    Button for home menu disappears after pressing it then closing the home menu.
    home menu does not open when on profile page. You are just stuck there with no way out unless you have a back button on your browser.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    tugga wrote: »
    I can tap the menu that pops out of the left side of the screen when I'm in a thread. Its acting as if its invisible, but the links still work, meaning I'll be randomly redirected to my profile or notifications or recent posts. That menu isnt even available while reading a thread; the button is replaced by the back button.

Also the reaction avatars are a bit on the huge side

edit: it seems I can touch them anywhere, but links that are supposed to be on the page, like links to forums or someones profile page are working as intended. Its as if the menu is behind everything.

Windows Phone 8.0
    Internet Explorer

this seems to have been fixed :D

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    i like it

it feels like it should probably be an app

but I like it

What, in the world you live in, do you think would be gained by this being an app? Do you just like to download things for no reason?
    We actually specifically made this NOT an app so that it would Just Work (tm) for everyone, whether they are on Android, Crapberry, iPhone, whatever, without having to mess around with their various content stores.

• Options
    t4ct just really really likes IOS things

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Kasper and I just went through all these and wrote up a nice long (15 item) list of things to address.
    Thanks again to those of you who had constructive criticism!

• Options
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    i like it

but I like it

What, in the world you live in, do you think would be gained by this being an app? Do you just like to download things for no reason?
    We actually specifically made this NOT an app so that it would Just Work (tm) for everyone, whether they are on Android, Crapberry, iPhone, whatever, without having to mess around with their various content stores.

Well, as an app, we could get alerts on our phone when we are @. We could link our post with our facebook, twitter, instagram, MySpace. We could finally learn that we are unloved but its ok.

TL:DR Apps are terrible, never do apps.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    i like it

but I like it

Well, as an app, we could get alerts on our phone when we are @. We could link our post with our facebook, twitter, instagram, MySpace. We could finally learn that we are unloved but its ok.

TL:DR Apps are terrible, never do apps.

twenty lines of social media buttons under every post.