As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New mobile style

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Hey if you want that, we can turn that shit on. You don't need an app for Facebook and Twitter integration ;)

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Kasper and I just went through all these and wrote up a nice long (15 item) list of things to address.
    Thanks again to those of you who had constructive criticism!

rad!! thanks for all the work you do, looking forward to seeing what happens < :

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    PM push notification would be neat

but

you know

email notifications are *right there*

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    Hey if you want that, we can turn that shit on. You don't need an app for Facebook and Twitter integration ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhTv2kSBMhc

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Although it's not perfect, I can see "the vision" with this and can see it's going to be a fucking massive improvement once you've tweaked it all. Thank you very much.

I won't echo too much what others have said re: text and toolbar, my one request would be a slightly easier way to zip between sub forums, at the moment it is quite arduous.

Another thought is that the borders on the left and the right of each post don't seem necessary - they take up valuable real estate on a skinny-ass iPhone 5 and have no function, unlike the bottom and top bars.

Also the permanent top bar could perhaps 'do more' given that it's permanent.

Reaction icons too big, regular avatars are just right (chill out goldilocks).

On forum list, maybe thread creator / last poster names for each forum / thread could be displayed on the right?

Lastly, scrolling is quite sluggish now, I'm assuming because of the tool bars.

Going to poke around that side menu thing now and see what's what.

Again: Thank you, the second I saw the new forum home page I went THAT'S WAY BETTER.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A couple pieces of feedback :)

The response time is slower for doing pretty much anything. Especially noticing it when typing this post.

The little avatar pictures for reactions are a bit big, and don't indicate what each person's reaction was.

While browsing this thread, the cool menu thing on the left would sometimes flicker over the screen. I'm noticing now that there are a few icons below the text field I'm typing in (an envelope, the world, a star, a pencil) that occasionally cover up the bottom of the text box.

Also there's a PA banner with a left arrow on the left and a magnifying glass on the right that is smack in the middle of this text box.

It is really harder to distinguish between threads with new posts and those without, that could be more noticeable.

Lastly, my biggest concern on mobile sites is lays "how much data is this eating up?" It may not be a significant difference, but it sure feels like one. I'd be much more comfortable browsing this if I could have some reassurance on that end?

Thanks for doing a good job! Changes can be fun!

Ps: while trying to submit this post, that icon bar moved again and I got directed somewhere else. Luckily it saved me draft.

Also, this is on iOS chrome

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Just noticed the little 'edit cog' doesn't do anything when I tap it. iPhone 5, whatever the newest version.

P.s. Aesthetically everything's very sexy

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    PM push notification would be neat

but

you know

email notifications are *right there*

getting an email notification for every completely NEW pm would be great. I have it set right now so that I get an email whenever i get a PM, but for massive PM chains its annoying. It'd be rad if we could opt to get a email whenever someone sends me a brand new PM as opposed to just another in an already existing 'thread'

thats just a super minor little thing ive been thinking about though! no big dealio

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mark me down as someone surprised that people didn't know they could access bookmarks from mobile.

I'm finding the new bookmarks page much harder to navigate. It used to be that a thread with updates would be bold text whereas a thread without would be normal. Now they're all bold and the only way to tell is to look at the tiny icon next to the title. Also, it used to be that threads with updates moved to the top, which no longer seems to be the case.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Good things: bookmarks access! Easy inbox access! Big page navigation buttons!

Bad things:
    navigation issues. Back out of thread, menu, load master forum list, where before there were links in each thread. In theory bookmarks should alleviate most of the direct forum browsing, but not all of it

No easily visible unread thread indication. You need something more than an extra tiny icon in a row of tiny icons, bolding/colour changes were perfect

New thread is a main bar action? That seems counterintuitive since most of the time we are in existing threads (and I at least would create all of mine on the desktop anyway) not making new ones. Maybe a link from the pullout menu?

Big navigation buttons are good but if the load thread sets your viewed point to the last post thing isn't fixed that's going to make it a huge pain if you were actually reading 10 pages back. Or even in threads where navigating old posts is important (cf, d&d). Even just a little box to type the page number to jump to would be fine

Oh and the hotbar bookmarks thing really should be scrollable

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Don't know if its been mentioned but I see no way to reveal something in spoiler tags.

Which may be a feature to protect me from myself, in which case, bravo!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Also, no quote auto collapse anymore? I'm seeing quotes 5 deep

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    YOU MADE YOUR BED

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love being able to access my bookmarks on mobile, but actually bookmarking things doesn't seem to be working for me.

Agree that reaction avs would be better if they were smaller, and that posts not spanning edge-to-edge is kind of a needless waste of space.

Would really like threads to be highlighted again if you've previously opened them.

Thread navigation buttons at the bottom are white which looks nasty, might just be on my phone?

Spoilers don't work for me.

Overall it's okay and I'm sure once it's been polished and I get used to it I'll like it. And Icy you're awesome and do magical things <3

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    i like it

it feels like it should probably be an app

but I like it

What, in the world you live in, do you think would be gained by this being an app? Do you just like to download things for no reason?
    We actually specifically made this NOT an app so that it would Just Work (tm) for everyone, whether they are on Android, Crapberry, iPhone, whatever, without having to mess around with their various content stores.

@IcyLiquid‌ ok so like i worded this probably badly

I didn't mean that you should actually make it an app

I meant that everything surrounding the menus and the way things are laid out feels very app-like, akin to the older HTML5 web app days

that's why i said "but I like it"

New thing I just noticed - when you go to a thread you've read before it doesn't automatically drop you at the newest unread post, it goes back about 10 posts prior to that.

Actually, it seems to kind of bounce around. I've tended to go close to the newest post, not the first new one.

Steam profile
    I think my one biggest 'want' other than bug fixes is a one-button route to the master forum list. It would work on the bottom toolbar - there is a hot key for 'Create New Thread' which I have done only 4 times in the many years I've been a member but I go to the master forum list every couple minutes.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular

As long as it's only for the mobile users go for it. 8->

• ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Is there still a way I can view the full site on my mobile instead of using the mobile style?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the hamburger menu likes to flash on the screen when i scroll
    ipod touch 4 on safari

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Is there still a way I can view the full site on my mobile instead of using the mobile style?

This works for me @thetheroo

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/nomobile

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    the bottom menu bar has a tendency to become disjoined from the bottom and float around my screen

iPhone 5S, 7.1 beta....5? probably beta 5

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    The drafts screen doesn't have any obvious means of deleting drafts, under the new style.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    @IcyLiquid‌

The hamburger menu button doesn't seem to function on the profile and various reaction pages on Chrome Android.

More on a functionality point - the new large buttons for thread navigation are great to use, however it's very hard to tell where you are in a thread. There doesn't seem to be any differentiation on the next page button when you've hit the end page of a thread versus any other page, or any indication that you're on page 3/4 or whatever. Also, having a second link to go back to the subforum index at the bottom of the page would be a benefit versus touchscreen scrolling back to the top.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Optimization tweak:

Add 'My Posts' to sidebar
    Add 'points' next to profile link in sidebar, ex: Profile (####)
    (or just somewhere in that panel.)

Reasoning: My posts and Reactions are the only profile features we still need to open our profile to access. Adding the posts link to the sidebar means reactions are the only reason I'd have for visiting my profile. I only check my reactions to see who felt what post was particularly raven, and seeing the point display in the side bar will tell me whether or not there is anything to check.

I'm sure this would not be as useful some of the more prolific posters who get more reactions than they care to keep tabs on, but it seems like it couldn't hurt?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    The quick reply formatting options have been up for a bit but don't all seem to be working. If it's not done yet, that's fine but if it's supposed to be working properly I can elaborate.

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    So. I really like it. My only complaint is that I'm using chrome on an iphone 5. Chrome auto hides the address bar as you scroll down and then shows it when you scroll up a bit. That first downward scroll while the address bar is hiding is SUPER chuggy. In the same vein, if you want to scroll up, that also chuggs really bad until the bar is fully deployed. And then again scrolling down hiding the bar again.

If this could be smoothed out, and read/unread/never-read thread differentiated a little better, then that is all I could ever want.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How do I report a post on mobile? I could not find a way just now, so I had to switch out to desktop view to do so and then switch back.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    New thing I just noticed - when you go to a thread you've read before it doesn't automatically drop you at the newest unread post, it goes back about 10 posts prior to that.
    I have that on the main forums too, I think it has something to do with loading pictures or quote nesting? It seems especially bad in threads with lots of pictures and/or quoting arguments back and forth anyway. Both on the computer (in firefox), and on iPad safari

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm having some navigation troubles, there doesn't seem to be anyway to get at my Post List, which I use as a bookmark thing without having to actually maintain a bookmark list :pensive:

Any way to get access to that back, maybe replacing the New Thread button on the black toolbar?

Speaking of, that just broke for me, it's currently locked in place obscuring some of what I wrote up there ^

Oh brilliant
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I'm not sure if this is just Firefox or not, but when I tap and hold to open any link in a new tab, the current tab starts loading that same thing. Happened when I opened a thread in a new tab as well as when I tried to quote someone in a new tab.

Also, while the Edit button is now working, the white Edit button block is floating on the bottom of the screen.
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Don't know if its been mentioned but I see no way to reveal something in spoiler tags.

Which may be a feature to protect me from myself, in which case, bravo!

Spoilers seem to work again if you clear your browser's cache.

Cyvros on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Absolutely hate it. 0/10 for the new layout. The old one worked great, and was functional, readable and quick to load. The new one (like the new main site) is a TABLET interface. The fonts are vastly too big for a phone, and its nigh on unreadable. What was once a fantastic interface (which I preferred in the end to desktop) is utterly ruined. At least you didn't mess with the colors.

Switch back. Keep nothing. Burn the documents referring to this iteration and let us never speak of it again.

edit - at the very least, font size down 2 points. Lose the sidebar space, lose the whole 'box around each post', agree/awesome icons to 25% current size, restore ability to browse 'up' the forums from a post.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Looks pretty great on my Nexus 5.

It feels very... .unstable? Not that it's crashing, but that it seems to have lots of moving parts that are only partially connected and prone to getting disjointed/floaty.

Does that make sense? I tend to like my mobile websites to be very "sturdy" and simple. My guess is that most of that is because this just got released today, though, so I'm optimistic :)

Steam profile
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Absolutely hate it. 0/10 for the new layout. The old one worked great, and was functional, readable and quick to load. The new one (like the new main site) is a TABLET interface. The fonts are vastly too big for a phone, and its nigh on unreadable. What was once a fantastic interface (which I preferred in the end to desktop) is utterly ruined. At least you didn't mess with the colors.

Switch back. Keep nothing. Burn the documents referring to this iteration and let us never speak of it again.

edit - at the very least, font size down 2 points. Lose the sidebar space, lose the whole 'box around each post', agree/awesome icons to 25% current size, restore ability to browse 'up' the forums from a post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

T4CT wrote: »
    the bottom menu bar has a tendency to become disjoined from the bottom and float around my screen

iPhone 5S, 7.1 beta....5? probably beta 5

So we've tracked this back to a fairly insane bug in mobile Safari. Kasper is working on a solution.

Thetheroo wrote: »

We're bringing this back.

The logo in the top hover bar now takes you back to the forum root.