As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sea of Red

msheamshea Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
Just in case folks missed it, Sea of Red is the best graphic novels I've read this year. The artwork is gritty, the story is raw, and the characters are excellent. Has anyone else enjoyed it?

mshea on

• Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Never heard of it. Maybe some info about it?

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, if you are going to make a thread about something more obscure, I'd appreciate it if you'd give us a bit more information.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Isn't Sea of Red the name of the Raphael mini going on right now?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    msheamshea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sorry,

Sea of Red is about a Spanish sailor who is "rescued" by a boat full of vampire pirates. He gets into a scuffle with them and ends up tied to the bottom of a ship which is sunk into the bottom of the sea. 400 years later he is "rescued" again by a small submarine filled with Hollywood assholes. Violence and humor ensues.

There are three issues of this graphic novel and all of them are wonderful. The plot shifts and turns in each of them.

They're available on Amazon.

mshea on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    mshea wrote: »
    There are three issues of this graphic novel and all of them are wonderful. The plot shifts and turns in each of them.

They're available on Amazon.

Actually there are thirteen issues. It's written by Rick Remender, also known as the badass who writes Fear Agent.

I love the wikipedia entry.
    Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Portland, Oregon. He is best known for his creator-owned work on Image Comics' series Fear Agent, Strange Girl, Sea of Red, and general overall radness.

I may have to check this out now if it's as good as Fear Agent.

And yeah, not just available on Amazon, I think I've seen it in my comic shop a few times.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hm. Remender is usually a sure thing. I'll look for this at the shop.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    It's actually an ongoing series and not a graphic novel, it seems. Sounds interesting, nonetheless.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    It's actually an ongoing series and not a graphic novel, it seems. Sounds interesting, nonetheless.

Is it still ongoing? The last issue I saw was from 2006. I'm only up to like issue four now so I'm not sure if it concludes or was just put on hiatus or maybe I'm just missing the newer issues.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited September 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Grifter wrote: »

Is it still ongoing? The last issue I saw was from 2006. I'm only up to like issue four now so I'm not sure if it concludes or was just put on hiatus or maybe I'm just missing the newer issues.

Good question. I didn't do extensive research on the book. I just saw that it seemed to be an ongoing series rather than just a graphic novel. Will have to look into it further to find out more.

Grifter on