As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New mobile style

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    font-size and line-height have been reduced within posts. Looks a look better now.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    the bottom menu bar has a tendency to become disjoined from the bottom and float around my screen

iPhone 5S, 7.1 beta....5? probably beta 5

So we've tracked this back to a fairly insane bug in mobile Safari. Kasper is working on a solution.

What are you referring to? The bar with the four icons and such? Because I mentioned in my first post that this is happening in Chrome too, so it may not be that Safari bug.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Well, I assumed he was referring to the Safari one, but there are actually several browser bugs/vagaries at play here, which is exciting!
    TL;DR lots of workarounds happening.

This is why I don't do web development :P

So, I was just about to compliment you guys on the auto-complete of smilies, which is fun, when I realized the the above smiley ( :P ) doesn't seem to want to auto-complete to that, and instead tries really really hard to complete to something different unless I leave the autocomplete menu in the exact perfect way. (This is on the non-mobile site, so not really relevant, but it's my favorite smiley so I had to comment)

Steam profile
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I would like to see the reaction avatars shrunk by half or more, but apart from that I really like it.

We're trying pretty hard to move away from those kinds of smilies and towards the :smily: format, which is why ": p" tries to get you to use the :pensive: or "pensive" smily. The more you know.

edited February 2014
    p.s. by "leave the autocorrect menu in the exact perfect way" did you mean "press escape"?

That was too snarky, sorry :p
    Is there some other way you tried that you expected to work, but didn't?

IcyLiquid on
    Why? Just curious :)

Is there a list of the alternatives? Like, what's the closest to the normal smiley, or :P, etc?

Steam profile
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I would like to see the reaction avatars shrunk by half or more, but apart from that I really like it.

This is on the list.

kime wrote: »
    Why? Just curious :)

Is there a list of the alternatives? Like, what's the closest to the normal smiley, or :P, etc?

So we can much more easily support custom smiley packs.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I like that the text doesn't resize when you go into landscape mode on an iPhone now, and that it doesn't snap you back to the top of full page load.

Are there any plans to have the top and bottom bars hide when reading a thread like they do in the topic view? Right now trying to scroll up on an iPhone is a bit painful
    T0m9HZ2.jpg

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    I like that the text doesn't resize when you go into landscape mode on an iPhone now, and that it doesn't snap you back to the top of full page load.

Are there any plans to have the top and bottom bars hide when reading a thread like they do in the topic view? Right now trying to scroll up on an iPhone is a bit painful
    T0m9HZ2.jpg

They seem to hide for me in a topic in Safari for iPhone.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Oh woa, embedded YouTube videos do not seem to be behaving well in safari at least. I see the preview, tap it like I used to be able to where it would then open the separate video player. But now just a small bar is left of the preview where the full image used to be and no video or link to video occurs.

Will test in chrome next.

Edit: chrome does the same thing but the bar acts as a link to the YouTube page which takes me away from the forums. I liked the old system better that opened a separate player for embedded videos and when the video ended it would go right back to where I was at in the forums.

davidsdurions on
    skeldare wrote: »

T0m9HZ2.jpg

Cleared all my cache/data/cookies and now it seems to be behaving properly and disappearing when I scroll in threads.

As an aside, it seems weird to me that the hamburger button is there on the topic page, but then there's a back button everywhere else. Why does there need to be a forum specific back button?

T0m9HZ2.jpg

I can't see that spoiler on the non-mobile site... weird

Steam profile
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    skeldare wrote: »

T0m9HZ2.jpg

Cleared all my cache/data/cookies and now it seems to be behaving properly and disappearing when I scroll in threads.

As an aside, it seems weird to me that the hamburger button is there on the topic page, but then there's a back button everywhere else. Why does there need to be a forum specific back button?

My guess is it's more intuitive than returning to the root via PA logo then tapping a forum to get to the forums thread list.

Abracadaniel on
    Slightly bigger touch targets for the bookmark star and edit cog pls

Bookmark star is going away, will be an item in the cog's action sheet. Problem solved.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    developing sites for mobile phones must be a newly-discovered level of hell :astonished:

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Just imagine the stuff they have to accommodate for mod tools.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    First off, everything is way slower on my phone now.

Second: before, I could tell which threads I'd never enterer versus which I had. I could then quickly just read posts in threads I'd entered.

Making A thread favorite is not useful to me. If I do that, truth every post goes to my news feed thing. This makes it so I can't find the times when my news feed has alerted to me to someone @ing me.

What is this I don't even.
    I am really liking the new mobile, I think it's gonna be awesome once the kinks are worked out.

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    After using it for a day, I really like it. I'm pretty much used to it already. We still need prev/next page buttons at the top of the screen, and links back to the various subforums in threads, but aside from those, it's pretty nice.

@Darkewolfe, you can change your notification settings, since as you said it's not super helpful to get then for bookmarked threads

Steam profile
    It's even better on chrome for iOS since there's…uh, less chrome along the bottom.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    My only suggestion so fast is to make the bottom pop up bar an option. Plus it's in the way right now as I create this message.

50433.png?1708759015
    On chrome on iOS, the page navigation stuff at the bottom is light blue text on white background. It's... not the most readable color scheme...

Also as I typed that post some weird stuff happened.. .I think I clicked on my inbox on that (honestly, currently kind of annoying) toolbar on the bottom? And then scrolling changed the screens back and forth from this thread and my most recent PM?

It was really weird

Steam profile
    Possible idea for the bottom bar: replace the search button with a button that opens a menu with all of the bottom bar options + search (similar to how the hamburger button menu works)

All hail the hamburger

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Just now reading this thread in safari. My phone went inactive and when I turned it back on to this page the pop up menus will not appear so I don't have those fancy navigation tools and whatnot. I can just click through a profile link and things are back to normal but that's a bit irritating.

All in all I'd place this bug low on the priority list though.

A button at the bottom of a thread (either in the hover bar or near the reply button) that takes you to the forum topic list would be nice. It may just have been a personal habit but having the forum breadcrumb down there was usually how I got back there.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    All hail the hamburger

ALL HAIL

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    First off, everything is way slower on my phone now.
    What phone do you have? What browser are you using? We can't address things without specifics.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Second: before, I could tell which threads I'd never enterer versus which I had. I could then quickly just read posts in threads I'd entered.
    Again, this is a high priority and is on the list.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh man cleared the cache and now the top and bottom bars disappear when you scroll down. Sideways browsing is back baby!

Thanks!

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    This is probably getting into the realm of personal preference and appropriate eyewear, but the text/line spacing still seems a little on the large side to me. A tremendous improvement, but something more in line with the size/spacing showing up in the quick reply box would be even better.

Or smaller! Always smaller.

Also how do I share my posts to Instagram?

I like the text size now :P

Steam profile
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    The logo in the top hover bar now takes you back to the forum root.

Aw dang I really liked that.

I still think having the forum list in the hamburger would be super convenient (possibly as an expandable list within the sidebar?).

I'm also having the same youtube issues as the guy up there (went back a page to quote). I can see the preview but it sometimes shrinks to the height of the title and then redirects me to the youtube site.

As for font sizes, the thread list looks good but I find posts to be a little too large still. Also not a huge fan of the boxes around posts.

Page navigation at the top too would be swell.

Scrolling and the top and bottom bars are moving very smoothly for me in Opera on Android.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Any possibility of getting page navigation at the top of the screen?

50433.png?1708759015
  • KleinKlein Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    One thing I have to suggest and one thing I do not like.

I would like the ability to move to another page of the thread at the top of the thread in addition to the bottom. The old format had this, and sometimes I get put on the wrong page of the thread, causing me to have to scroll to the bottom to get to the latest page. With the bigger text size this takes much longer. Ideally, put a way to go wherever into the thread on that new bar on the top or bottom.

I do not like the penny-arcade bar on top and the bar on bottom together. When I am scrolling up in Chrome this causes the url bar to also show, and this severely cuts down on screen space with all three bars. Moving down a thread causes them all to go away and it looks much better. Is it possible that users can toggle these bars? Reducing their size does not seem like a good option because this would not be touch friendly. z

Edit: Also, the bar on bottom for going to a different page is white and the font is a light blue, making it hard to read the number. I thin changing the colors a bit would make it more readable.

Klein on
    I would vote for all background colors to not be white. Like this text box is blinding me yo. That's just a personal preference I guess though.

I'm enjoying watching the improvements happen!