As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me glasses in this brave new world

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
I just went to an optometrist and it had been a couple of years since I've been to one. I went next door to the eyeglass shop and they are roughly twice as expensive as I remember ($260+ for a pair similar to what I have now, and not name brand either). Plus it will take 10 days (!!!) to get them.

They sent me to a LensCrafters down the way and they were even pricier, though the glasses would have been available in an hour.

I'm given to understand that there are websites which offer good frames and lenses at cheap prices and they don't take a week and a half to get. Can anybody give me some recommendations? Also I would like some advice on what sort of frames might work well on my face.

My eyes are very dilated right now so I'm having trouble seeing my phone to type this, but I'll post a face picture when I don't have to squint to do so.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    As promised, here is a pic (I'm the pretty one with brown hair):

TzKTbMC.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also check out Warby Parker, as their prices don't seem too bad.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions on frame styles?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I bought from Warby Parker and don't have anything but good things to say about em

Just try their in home try on thing - they will send you five pairs to try on.

• Options
    Whoa, really? Not just frames, but with lenses and all?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Not with the accurate lenses - the frames are sent with clear/non-prescription lenses.

Despite having the blurry vision while trying em on, it still really helped a bunch. I ended up with glasses that were not my first choice because they ended up looking the best.

• Options
    Just from glancing at the reviews for Warby Parker and Zenni, it seems like WP is a little more durable, though Zenni is obviously far cheaper. Anybody have experience with both?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Mrs Moon the Optical Technician says:

She has no suggestions for online retailers, due to lack of experience with them. If you're looking for a plastic frame go for one with a narrower frame than the one you have right now. Or, go with a metal frame that has nose pads.

As far as shape of the frame: a rounder, larger lens size because your face looks angular and long and a rounder, larger lens will soften the edges.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do you have any non-chain Eyeglass places in town? I go to a little mom and pop one in town and they regularly have prices 50-60% less than Lenscrafters and such, and then cut deals on top of that.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Unfortunately the only mom and pop place here was even pricier than the chains.

I ended up ordering a pair on WP. Thanks for the help!

• Options
    When they arrive post pictures. Straight on, and then a profile shot with you folding the top of your ear down so my wife can see how the temple fits, if you don't mind.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Sure thing.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Sure thing.

This is actually just DaMoon's strange fetish.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Sure thing.

This is actually just DaMoon's strange fetish.

What?! N-Noooo....

tumblr_inline_n0jv1nfXG81r5sw8j.gif

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    When they arrive post pictures. Straight on, and then a profile shot with you folding the top of your ear down so my wife can see how the temple fits, if you don't mind.

after about 3 days of wear, take them off and take a picture of your nose where the pads rest also.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508