As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New mobile style

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Couple more things I've thought of.

In the thread navigation bar, could we get back the ability to choose a specific page in the thread rather than just previous, next, first and last.

Could we also get a sub-forum link back at the top/bottom of thread pages. I always used to use that to go back to the topic list because just hitting the back button would cycle me back through all pages I'd just read in the thread first. And hitting my SE++ bookmark requires three whole button presses. Three!

I am enjoying seeing things develop. The auto-hiding toolbars suddenly appeared last night and made me go "ooh".

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Just woke up - text size change is great. I officially now prefer this to the old version.

Noticing a few more kinks on my commute today, I'll write them up when I get to the office. Beats doing that god damn PowerPoint.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Can't click spoilers on the mobile site. There's just no button to do it.

Mobile Safari, 7.1 beta 5

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Can't click spoilers on the mobile site. There's just no button to do it.

Mobile Safari, 7.1 beta 5

Have you tried clearing your cache? That seems to do the trick.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Lookin good Icy and team!

The only thing I have to add is that thread titles don't fit on my screen (iPhone 5 running latest OS using chrome). Not such a big deal for threads I already know or that use brackets, but in SE brackets aren't used that much. I minor whinge really but just thought I'd throw it out there

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited February 2014
    Usability note: Have to go 'back' to a forum or sub-forum list to make the hamburger appear, therefore can't access my profile directly from within a thread.

A possible solution - have the hamburger be present on all pages but have the option to go to thread list of the current sub forum (ie 'Back to Penny Arcade Hub' etc) just above 'Community Home' within the hamburger menu. This would also serve the righteous purpose of making the master forum list require one touch less to get to across 99.9% of forum pages (ie whenever within a thread) because the hamburger (hail) is always there. As well as profile, bookmarks etc.

I'm not sure I explained that very well.

P.s. Touch-box for edit cog is tiiiiiiny

Spaffy on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Master forum list is got to by clicking the PA logo at the top!

Mind: Blown. Yesterday it just took you back to the top of the current page. Well played, nerds.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm curious as to the back function, because my mobile browser has a back button that's super easy to get to so it's a little superfluous. I'd prefer the hamburger menu being there personally.

Tube wrote: »
    I'm curious as to the back function, because my mobile browser has a back button that's super easy to get to so it's a little superfluous. I'd prefer the hamburger menu being there personally.

Yeah - as mentioned I think the 'back' functionality would work just as well nestled in the hamburger menu.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    First off, everything is way slower on my phone now.
    What phone do you have? What browser are you using? We can't address things without specifics.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Second: before, I could tell which threads I'd never enterer versus which I had. I could then quickly just read posts in threads I'd entered.
    Again, this is a high priority and is on the list.

Motorola Droid Maxx on Chrome. Typing and scrolling especially are jumpy, jerky affairs.

What is this I don't even.
    kime wrote: »
    @Darkewolfe, you can change your notification settings, since as you said it's not super helpful to get then for bookmarked threads

Well, I find notifications for bookmarked threads helpful, it's just not helpful if I bookmark EVERY thread I want to read. I have 1-3 threads that I DO want to know when they're posted in, though.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

The only thing I have to add is that thread titles don't fit on my screen (iPhone 5 running latest OS using chrome). Not such a big deal for threads I already know or that use brackets, but in SE brackets aren't used that much. I minor whinge really but just thought I'd throw it out there

Yeah this is my main comment too. Because most thread titles are so long most of the front page of SE just looks like a random assortment of truncated sentences rather than threads about specific topics. I'd like the option of seeing the whole title instead of truncating.

Aside from that my only other thing is the same one everyone else has - make it more obvious when you read a thread or it gets new posts.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Yeah this is my main comment too. Because most thread titles are so long most of the front page of SE just looks like a random assortment of truncated sentences rather than threads about specific topics. I'd like the option of seeing the whole title instead of truncating.

Aside from that my only other thing is the same one everyone else has - make it more obvious when you read a thread or it gets new posts.

I don't know if this was intentional, but I noticed that nested quote trees are now showing their full quote history, rather than just the most recent one. Previously only the most recent quote was showing, with a button to show the rest, which was pretty convenient. The new method means that many posts are 6-7 screen lengths long of scrolling.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    I didn't read every page of this thread, but I did read forward a few pages from the beginning and back a few pages from the end and I didn't see an answer to this:

Is there any way to not use the mobile site on a mobile device for now? Like look I get this is a new thing and I'm sure when all the kinks are worked out it'll be great to use and stuff.

But for now, there's so many features missing or broken that I would like to opt out of this beta test experience. Like even that little bit of italics I used earlier in this post, I had to enter manually because all the text formatting buttons are gone now. Spoiler buttons don't work. etc.

I'm sure Icy is working on all those things but in the meantime, I'd really just like to use the non-mobile version. That was an option we had before and don't anymore. I'm not looking for a rollback to the previous mobile version, just a "full site" option. I'll deal with it being a sub optimal size and shape for my phone browser for the sake of being feature complete.

UPDATE: I did some poking about, and those of you using Chrome for your phone (like me!) can hit the little options thing next to the tabs button and check "Request desktop site". Solves my issue.

Pony on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Lesson 1 in web design usability says the user should never have to use the browser back button as a primary navigation tool. It should be there for "oops I clicked the wrong link"
    Anything else should have in-site tools.

Primarily because users are idiots and won't remember they have a back button.

That's a stupid rule that only encourages people to be idiots

edited February 2014
    Hmmm. Just testing something.

Edit: okay, so sometimes the hidden toolbars refuse to appear until I refresh the page. I thought it might be triggered by using the quick reply but it's not, so I'm not sure what causes it or if it's random. Will make a note of when it happens again.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Disclaimer: I did not read the whole thread, just pages 1 and 2.

First of all, I just noticed the new mobile version last night, and it is shit hot. Seriously, I dig the hell out of it, so big kudos to everyone involved. It's neat, it's clean, it's readable, and I get a link to my bookmarks. I love you so much.

That said, I'd like to suggest a few tweaks:
    1. Awesome/Agree/Raven pictures are the same size as the user icons at the top of each post. Big space waster when a lot of people pile on. I'd suggest shrinking them down; people's reactions shouldn't have the same size and visual importance as the user icon of the original post.
    2. On that note, the little Reaction image overlays don't appear to be working.
    3. In the nav bar at the bottom, it's got [ << ][ First ][ Page# ][ Last ][ >> ] as possible buttons. And I like it! But, I also miss seeing how many pages in total there are (so I know how far from the end of the thread I am). Would it be possible to do Page# as "current/total"? So, like, this thread would show [ << ][ First ][ 6/6 ][ >> ] right now. If not, no biggie.

Otherwise, yeah, I really, really like it. Buy yourselves a beer and say it's from me. ;-)

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Inserting images should be fine now.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

FWIW, the Windows Phone 8 edition of Internet Explorer does not have a particularly convenient back button so I find it handy to have in this site

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is just Firefox or not, but when I tap and hold to open any link in a new tab, the current tab starts loading that same thing. Happened when I opened a thread in a new tab as well as when I tried to quote someone in a new tab.

Same thing happens in Dolphin Browser Mini. The link starts loading on the current tab before I release. It's especially annoying in threads with multiple new pages, as I can't click links to see what people are talking about without losing my place in the thread.

Edit: Links loading on press rather than on release takes away a lot of functions. Can't download pictures or copy URLs either. Seems weird, I would've assumed my browser controlled how links work rather than individual websites setting their own thing (though I guess it's similar to how the mobile site of Wikipedia won't let me open links in new tabs).

Peccavi on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    looks loads better already!! would still be super nice to be able to navigate between pages instead of just forward or back. Mostly because I can't tell when I'm on the last page or what, or how many pages I have til the end of the thread. Which is not great because I don't know how many posts i'll be losing out on if I fuck off and go back to my bookmarks or something, cause it doesnt remember the last post you actually viewed

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Inserting images should be fine now.

Doesn't seem to be working for me, unless it's a cache thing.

Edit: doesn't look like it. I have an option for an image url but no button to insert it or even get back to the post.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Jasconius wrote: »

FWIW, the Windows Phone 8 edition of Internet Explorer does not have a particularly convenient back button so I find it handy to have in this site

You people are animals.

Also, not sure if this was just implemented, or was always this way, a solution to the 'Am I On The Final Page' conundrum. If you are on the final page in a thread, you can tell because the 'Last Page' button is not there.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

You people are animals.

Also, not sure if this was just implemented, or was always this way, a solution to the 'Am I On The Final Page' conundrum. If you are on the final page in a thread, you can tell because the 'Last Page' button is not there.

I just noticed this, and its my biggest complaint so far.
    Spaffy wrote: »

You people are animals.

Yeah I just realized that...

eh, I think this is now my top feature request. The bigger navigation buttons are great, a really necessary change from the old version. But the way it indicates whether you're on the last page or not is not so awesome. Maybe replace "Last" with "... <page number>" of the last page? Similar to the old system, but keeping the nice, bigger buttons and more intuitive indication that you aren't on the last page?

One reason it's not currently intuitive is that the buttons (at least in iOS on Chrome) are all light-blue font on white background, so not clearly legible, so it kind of just seems like the "Last" button is grayed out and not clickable (like lots of sites do).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    On the subject of page number, there doesn't appear to be a way to jump to a particular page.

Currently, clicking on the page number button just reloads that page, could that be made into a "jump to X page button"?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Its not actually "back" its go to forum. Bookmarks-thread-back will actually take you to the forum that thread is in

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I've noticed that you can't click nested spoilers, it just closes the first one

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    *deleted*

(Reading comprehension failure.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

3. In the nav bar at the bottom, it's got [ << ][ First ][ Page# ][ Last ][ >> ] as possible buttons. And I like it! But, I also miss seeing how many pages in total there are (so I know how far from the end of the thread I am). Would it be possible to do Page# as "current/total"? So, like, this thread would show [ << ][ First ][ 6/6 ][ >> ] right now. If not, no biggie.

I would like to see this implemented but also have page navigation added to the top of every page.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »

I would like to see this implemented but also have page navigation added to the top of every page.

Also having a go to page X function in there somewhere would be great. As it is now trying navigate around a thread is super tedious, I love the size of the new buttons but being on page 6 and wanting to jump to page 40 takes a shit ton of scrolling and paging to do so.

hLeTR.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    This is probably getting into the realm of personal preference and appropriate eyewear, but the text/line spacing still seems a little on the large side to me. A tremendous improvement, but something more in line with the size/spacing showing up in the quick reply box would be even better.

Or smaller! Always smaller.

Also how do I share my posts to Instagram?

I think it's the margins of the posts. In vertical mode the left and right margins take up like maybe 20% of the horizontal screen space

steam_sig.png
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Per-comment margins are gone.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Text size in threads and the lack of the boxes is amazing. Looks so good! Also top page nav! Just needs a "jump to page"option.

I would love to see the jump to top button return as an extra button on the top bar.

Awesome, I think it looks much better without the post margins. Icy you're da best.

SirToasty wrote: »
    Text size in threads and the lack of the boxes is amazing. Looks so good! Also top page nav! Just needs a "jump to page"option.

I would love to see the jump to top button return as an extra button on the top bar.

I'll have to see how the pager is being done. That's one area where some of you guys' Homer Car requests might have to be vetoed. I'll look.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I just had a bit of a nit pick. When trying to click the edit gear, I had a problem of accidentally clicking the profile box (not sure what is called. Its the invisible hit box that around the avatar/name that brings you to a person's profile page) because its across the whole top of a post. Could we make the box smaller so we fat finger people don't click it?

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I liked the look of the margins/boxes better