As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Plants vs Zombies] Garden Warfare 2 out now! Time for some online plant murder!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So how many years was it between 1 and 2? Apparently not enough to bother with an ending... I just 'beat' the game, and I guess the 4th area is incoming sometime soon. The Wild West gimmick is kinda neat though, so at least there's that.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Puny HumanPuny Human Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The update on 2013-08-26 appears to have dropped the US price of the Snow Pea and Torchwood by $1 each, making all premium plants the same price, $2.99. All the upgrades are also $2.99 now, but I didn't notice how much they were before.

6 premium plants and 4 premium upgrades means the cost for unlocking everything is $29.90. Rather steep considering I got the original game for $10 on PC and free as the App of the Week on iOS.

I like what the game has so far, especially the new plants, but the the story is much shorter and less varied than the original. I miss night, roof and pool levels. The minigames are mostly gone. There's a big obvious hole where more levels will be, eventually. Maybe it will be a more worthy successor once all that's out. Thus far I'd say it's promising.

On the other hand, it seems less funny. The humor seems a little more forced than in the original. Crazy Dave shows up with a taco, eats it, wants to eat it again, off to the past! That all felt rushed. PvZ1 took a bit more time establishing its wackiness.

Puny Human on
    Yeah they immediately overexposed Crazy Dave, which is too bad. They could have the time car constantly talk to you, and it be something really funny when Crazy Dave shows up. But no, he shows up to make bad puns on all the Last Stand type levels and so on. I'll pick it back up when Far Future comes out, but it's kind of whatever until that point (no Zen Garden? no wall nut bowling? no mini-games besides match the symbols? what the whaaat).

• GhostfreakGhostfreak Registered User new member
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Will wait for the Steam version.

Also: I will laugh if you can use hex edit a file to enable the pay only stuff.

Pretty much! Why would Popcap just spit on its PC users like that? I don't want the iOS version...What the hell? And then they release it for Android but not PC? This comic pretty much sums up my feelings on the game:

http://www.8bitgamer.com/comic/plants-vs-zombies-2-stock/

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    XBox 360/One release dates for Garden Warfare were announced today. February 18. No release dates for PS4 or PC yet.

I'm getting a little sick of EA's favoritism of XBox.

edited November 2013
    Edit: Double post.

Lucascraft on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    soo...uh...did they just remake the entire game or something? I loaded it up today to see if there was a pinata for me and it's totally different.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    soo...uh...did they just remake the entire game or something? I loaded it up today to see if there was a pinata for me and it's totally different.
    Massive overhaul.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I did some googling.

I'm a fan. The previous version felt too grindy to me, and it even looked grindy with all the stars and such. The new version has really really long paths, so that's a bit silly, but overall I think the change is for the better. Taking out the keys is a good too, I had like 30 egypt keys and couldn't get any more pirate or wild west ones and it was just stupid.

Plus turbo is nice. I don't know how many times I've just set down my phone because I had a 'perfect' setup and didn't need to fiddle with it to beat a map.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

IGN review of Garden Warfare --
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/25/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-review

I'm still looking forward to when this game becomes available for the PS4. Sadly, I don't have an Xbox one so I must continue to wait.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I downloaded this last night and have yet to touch it. I'm pretty excited.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Some footage I just captured. People revived me that round. Amazing. Now if everyone would grasp that concept and not run by my corpse...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1F2D26DB4E5562D6%21186

bYf6vNQ.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There's no microtransactions, so go nuts. Maybe they learned something after PvZ2.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I would find microtransactions weird in this game. I mean, you use cards for power ups I believe, plus customization and unlocks. I personally wouldn't purchase anything (and if they had the option, I would be down on the game a little bit like I was PvZ2).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Been playing this since yesturday (yay Japan). Would love to team up with some PA-ers for coop and multiplayer. At least until Titanfall drops(pun intended)
    Gamertag is pawa24.

pawa24 on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The only interest I had in this was playing split-screen with my wife. She's a pretty big COD player and also enjoyed the original PvZ. Would it be a good buy for just splitscreen?

What is this I don't even.
    According to the IGN review, EA is going to ADD microtransactions "later" which strikes me as baffling for a number of reasons.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This is about 100x better than i expected it to be. awesome.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    The game is pretty great (on 360) except for one, huge fault: you cannot create a Party/Group/Squad and all enter a map together in Versus. One person has to join a map and then cross their fingers there is enough room so everyone else can join in on them. This is pretty terrible for a game in 2014 but to make things FAR worse you cannot join a match while it is loading a new map (even if it is in the post match statistics section).

So you can pretty much only get in a Vs. map with friends if someone drops mid match and your friends are quick on the joining game. My wife and I are playing on two separate 360s sitting next to each other on the couch and gave up trying to join together in a Vs. after 20minutes of failed attempts. This is incredibly frustrating because otherwise the game is great.

edited February 2014
    It is exactly like that on the One. At least with the 360 you can probably hit "invite party" where on the One we just hope the auto invite gets sent.

I don't understand microtransactions in this. Yea, buying packs of cards, but you unlock stuff at a decent pace. I would buy costumes, that is probably it.

I streamed for like 5 hours today.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Accualt wrote: »
    The game is pretty great (on 360) except for one, huge fault: you cannot create a Party/Group/Squad and all enter a map together in Versus. One person has to join a map and then cross their fingers there is enough room so everyone else can join in on them. This is pretty terrible for a game in 2014 but to make things FAR worse you cannot join a match while it is loading a new map (even if it is in the post match statistics section).

So you can pretty much only get in a Vs. map with friends if someone drops mid match and your friends are quick on the joining game. My wife and I are playing on two separate 360s sitting next to each other on the couch and gave up trying to join together in a Vs. after 20minutes of failed attempts. This is incredibly frustrating because otherwise the game is great.

That's the same way Battlefield 4 is. It has no "join as group" option. Both games are built on Frostbite3 engine.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    According to the IGN review, EA is going to ADD microtransactions "later" which strikes me as baffling for a number of reasons.

Its basically Mass Effect 3 MP so I imagine if they add anything it will be a way to purchase the the 2 top tier packs. I get roughly 1-4k coins a match and the packs cost 20k and 40k coins a piece so it would just be a way for people to unlock costumes and alternate plants/zombies faster.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I personally have no problem with that kind of micro-transaction. Like they've proven the model works without them - so people are still getting a good game - but if people want to put some cash into it as they don't have much time to play - fine do that. No one gets hurt and everyone's happy. I'm so pleased that Popcap seem to have got this game so right looking at all the reviews.

I'm picking this up on Friday on Xbox One if anyone is about - Gamertag is TPSou

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

That's the same way Battlefield 4 is. It has no "join as group" option. Both games are built on Frostbite3 engine.

Oh god, that is awful. I only have BF3 and it was a breeze to play with friends. How the hell are you suppose to get a sizable group of friends onto one server? Seems like a terrible change but I assume it is bugged on PvZ and works much better in BF4. It would really have to otherwise I imagine the fan rage would be unending.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Oh god, that is awful. I only have BF3 and it was a breeze to play with friends. How the hell are you suppose to get a sizable group of friends onto one server? Seems like a terrible change but I assume it is bugged on PvZ and works much better in BF4. It would really have to otherwise I imagine the fan rage would be unending.

It's a clunky system but with all dedicated servers i'm not sure what else they could have done, boot random people from games to make room for you and your friends? I don't really see a solution to it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Garden Ops is so much fun. And a way to build up coins with friends pretty easily. That and when the zom-boss slots come up all money bags its CRAZY CASH! Now to hope to see 3 diamonds pop up for the mad payday. Definatly need at least 1 Sunflower and the Chomper doesn't work well if you only got a pair but in a 4 man Op. A chomper can be a good hero assassin. Find and kill the soldiers and All-Stars before they can harass your peas and sunflowers so they can control the crowd.

I've been fine with 3 of us so far.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    add Local H Jay for Xbone shennigans. I really like co-op! wish splitscreen worked online still.

• evilive72evilive72 TexasRegistered User regular
    Picked this up on the XB1. Feel free to add me if you need an extra person or two. Gamertag: evilive7

Nintendo Network ID: Strummer72
    XBL Gamertag: evilive7
    Playstation ID: evilive7
    3DS: 4699-7349-0534
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    This looks really fun! Completely skipped under my radar but it sounds like a fun beer and pizza with friends kind of jam.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This will hit all platforms at some point right? PS4, PC etc. ?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    This will hit all platforms at some point right? PS4, PC etc. ?

It seems that this is just a timed exclusive.

Spaffy wrote: »
    This looks really fun! Completely skipped under my radar but it sounds like a fun beer and pizza with friends kind of jam.

Its very silly. It doesnt take itself to seriously, but is still very entertaining.

it reminds me of TF2, Gotham City Imposters, with a little L4D sprinkled in. some of the rarer skins are very funny or cool looking. the Chomper in particular gets awesome skins, and the Cactus gets a 'Terminator' skin that gives you a much better primary attack called Future Shot. really loving the customization here.

edited February 2014
    I'm a bit worried about the potential for EA to really microtransaction the crap out of this game in the future. It seems like its not too bad right now, so Ive been trying to earn the coins in matches and unlock cool stuff now before they go back to their regular stupid transaction tweaking.

evilive72 on
    it reminds me of TF2, Gotham City Imposters, with a little L4D sprinkled in. some of the rarer skins are very funny or cool looking. the Chomper in particular gets awesome skins, and the Cactus gets a 'Terminator' skin that gives you a much better primary attack called Future Shot. really loving the customization here.

Chomper - Count Chompula is amazing. My friend was running around as him and it plays scary violin cords when he chomps a zombie.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I just watched some of HJay's clips he uploaded, and this game looks fun but I wonder if it'll be able to hold the test of time with so many big games coming out. It's why I'm hesitant to buy it. I remember MNC on the 360, I absolutely loved that game. But after about a month or so, there wasn't all that many people playing the game. Now, some of this was developer reasons, not patching it due to their tiff with MS, etc... but a game like this live or dies depending on a player base staying around. It looks like a blast, but I worry it might not have many people playing it in a few months.

I think it's a great game and if they do keep their promise of free, regular updates I bet it will do fine. other than Titanfall not much is hitting for a few months. also, there is a TON of little kids playing this game (as evidenced by the constant kinect chat of what sounds like toddlers).

I hope they add more guns, maps, skins, and modes. Please add splitscreen online!