As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TECH] WHO SMARTWATCHES THE SMARTWATCHMEN (nerds inside)

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    T4CT wrote: »
    Dan pitch me on acorn over pixelmator's GDrive suite

the who in the what now

Right now I use Pixelmator for most of my primary editing on my MacBook because if you go into Google Drive they have it integrated into their suite of apps

Pitch me on acorn cause I want something dedicated for offline use on my MacBook

are we talking about the same pixelmator

http://www.pixelmator.com/

I thought Aviary handled GDrive's image editing stuff

Anyway, Acorn is a little less like Photoshop than the pixelmator I'm referring to, but maybe not as powerful?

For the kind of shit I'm usually doing with it like stripping out a background or whatever their Instant Alpha magic wand tool or their other methods are super easy and quick.

You can also do some rad stuff with AppleScript and Alfred. Someone made a workflow where you type in the name of an app on the app store, it gives you the first few results. You pick the one you want, and it grabs the high-res app logo from Apple, throws it into Acorn in the background, and applies the 'app' mask template to give it the rounded look.

Abracadaniel on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Someone come over and move stuff from my current case to my new case and make it look all pretty.

I'll pay you.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    the level of efficiency they must have to deliver my item in under 18 hours is impressive

poo
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I've saved way more than I've paid for prime in the first place, it rules.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    the level of efficiency they must have to deliver my item in under 18 hours is impressive

I know the warehouses involve... robots

apparently their warehouses rely on movable shelving that little robots move around to the packing area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KRjuuEVEZs

edit: this video is better I think

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited February 2014
    yep! diapers.com uses a similar system, it's really cool

Abracadaniel on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Dan pitch me on acorn over pixelmator's GDrive suite

the who in the what now

Right now I use Pixelmator for most of my primary editing on my MacBook because if you go into Google Drive they have it integrated into their suite of apps

Pitch me on acorn cause I want something dedicated for offline use on my MacBook

are we talking about the same pixelmator

http://www.pixelmator.com/

I thought Aviary handled GDrive's image editing stuff

Anyway, Acorn is a little less like Photoshop than the pixelmator I'm referring to, but maybe not as powerful?

For the kind of shit I'm usually doing with it like stripping out a background or whatever their Instant Alpha magic wand tool or their other methods are super easy and quick.

You can also do some rad stuff with AppleScript and Alfred. Someone made a workflow where you type in the name of an app on the app store, it gives you the first few results. You pick the one you want, and it grabs the high-res app logo from Apple, throws it into Acorn in the background, and applies the 'app' mask template to give it the rounded look.

lol it's called Pixlr MARKET CONFUSION INCOMING

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Massdrop put up a deal on Pebble smartwatches. $130 with free shipping if they hit enough buyers. I put in for one, seems like a good price.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Chrome mobile for Android been acting up for you guys?

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    So something I do not understand. I just upgraded the drivers on my GTX 770.

My second monitor is my 60" plasma via hdmi. I used to run it at 1920x1080 no problem, but suddenly the corners are off screen. I have to run that monitor at 1842x1036 now. I haven't tried to game on it at 1920x1080 since then yet, but this seems strange to me?

What is the deal with my overscan being weird all of the sudden. Or was overscan always just automatically setting it to this resolution without me noticing anyway

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    can it tweet when you're ghostriding

Yes, yes it can.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    can you set it to detect the local speed limit and if you go 10 or more above it it tweets #YOLO ?

Also yes

Seriously

Automatic's API gives IFTT a surprisingly thorough amount of data about a trip.

zcMjujA.png

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    zcMjujA.png

Take it to the racetrack = 37,000 tweets in 2 hours...

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    do any of you have experience with a hybrid tablet/notebook/ultrabook devices? I am interested in the surfacepro2 for the stylus capabilities and running windows but i've tried one out and i'm worried the screen will just be too small for me to write useful things (serious math notes are what I have in mind). I've also looked at sony vaio flip but I dunno I've read things like the fan makes it unbearable and I'm worried I'll break it trying to flip it. any suggestions for satisfying my digital writing itch?

steam id: vermiculture
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    ok hi

so i put my sata into ahci mode

and i put in my SSD

(i was lazy, it is just dangling at the bottom of my case, the drive i bought didn't come with any screws or spacers to attach it to the bottom of my case oops, shoulda bought the one with the screws and the extra SATA cable, didn't realize was just the drive)

doing a clean win 7 install again but quick question

that whole thing about having a seperate admin account from the account you use... is that still a thing? and why should i do that?

poo
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So when you get a smartphone plan in Japan they make you get an email address through them (so you know [whatever]@softbank.co.jp or docomo or whatever).

Well it seems like spammers have gotten ahold of mine, and I have gotten about 20 emails in the last hour. And as far as I can tell there is no way I can get my phone to stop alerting me everytime I get an email from this account. I don't use this account for anything, the only emails it has gotten before were spam ones from softbank, but that was once a week so no big deal. I am willing to completely nuke the account from orbit or fully disconnect it from my phone but as far as I can tell I can't?

So that's nice.

Edit: Maybe I can gum up the works by throwing an intentionally wrong password into the email info, because it doesn't let me just remove the email info. Gonna try that.

Inquisitor on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Right now I am sporting a not quite up to date Nokia 6303i, but apparently there is this thing called smartphones now.

So now I am looking what is available at the moment an I think I could do with some advice. Considering my relatively small hands I was thinking about something in th 4-4.5 inch range and also preferably below 300€.

So far I have the Moto G and S4 mini on my shortlist. I like the mini a bit better, especially the size and weight, but I'm not sure that and the different tech specs are worth the additional 100€ over the Moto.

Any suggestion on this or maybe an alternative to those two phones would be nice. Thanks in advance.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    It depends on your priorities. The Moto G has a larger screen, higher resolution and a slightly better version of Gorilla Glass. The S4 mini has an expansion slot and apparently a better camera. (There's also a version with LTE and NFC, but I think that's only available in certain markets.)

From what I've read, the Moto G has pretty long and consistent battery life for a smartphone. It is also running a very minimal skin over stock Android, and Motorola has been rolling out software updates pretty quickly. The camera interface has also been simplified to make it quicker/easier to take shots. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on how much you value the camera (and you can always get alternative camera apps anyway).

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my Moto G, it's a fantastic phone for the price.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    So when you get a smartphone plan in Japan they make you get an email address through them (so you know [whatever]@softbank.co.jp or docomo or whatever).

Well it seems like spammers have gotten ahold of mine, and I have gotten about 20 emails in the last hour. And as far as I can tell there is no way I can get my phone to stop alerting me everytime I get an email from this account. I don't use this account for anything, the only emails it has gotten before were spam ones from softbank, but that was once a week so no big deal. I am willing to completely nuke the account from orbit or fully disconnect it from my phone but as far as I can tell I can't?

So that's nice.

Edit: Maybe I can gum up the works by throwing an intentionally wrong password into the email info, because it doesn't let me just remove the email info. Gonna try that.

Can you flip off notifications from the email app and install a third-party email client to use with your regular email accounts?

I'm considering selling my MacBook Pro Retina (original model) and just using my desktop PC for the time being. I need the money for plans, and I really only use the laptop at home anyway.

Then I figure if I need/want something portable down the line I can get a tablet or Chromebook

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    hey guys, have you tried messing around with the text to speech app I mean speech to text app on your phone okay

Doesn't work no way it does anyway, I saw people using a much more than system, and decided to see how professional the text I'm using the speech to text application on my phone was. So far it looks nice but based on the way the phones um the phones uh what was I going to say that phones right that doesn't mean that so um that's how hard it is to correct on a forum makes this kind of off not a time saver. paragraph I also don't know the list of voice macros and can't really find them until I get back to my computer. I'm using an Android phone right now are all Android phone wat, um are all Android phones the the um are they all are they all do they all have the same speech of text to speech speech? Do they all have the saint meh speech to text, I mean text to speech, no wait I was wit right the first time. um or so how is Apple's version is it good?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    what

If you're wanting better speech to text on Android, have you looked at Dragon? Their desktop versions do a pretty good job.

I hope this helps because I got lost every time I tried to read that post and may have misunderstood what you were asking.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    do any of you have experience with a hybrid tablet/notebook/ultrabook devices? I am interested in the surfacepro2 for the stylus capabilities and running windows but i've tried one out and i'm worried the screen will just be too small for me to write useful things (serious math notes are what I have in mind). I've also looked at sony vaio flip but I dunno I've read things like the fan makes it unbearable and I'm worried I'll break it trying to flip it. any suggestions for satisfying my digital writing itch?

Tooling around with a Note 2 and a Nexus 7, the screen size really doesn't seem to bother me. I think you'd be just fine with the Surface Pro 2. The stylus helps you make much more precise markings compared to scribbling with your finger.

You'd have to spend time getting used to the stylus, though.

And you'd have less of a chance breaking the Surface Pro with it's keyboard than you would trying to flip the Vaio, too.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    He was using text to speech to make that post to point out how bad his current app or whatever is. Dragon also comes with Swype so you could try that.

Does anyone know of a good way to make documents created in Google Drive automatically upload to Dropbox? IFTT doesn't have hooks to pull FROM drive, only to write to it.

There's a thing called cloudHQ that will do it but it's not free.

You might also be able to do it using Hazel or Belvedere on desktop if you have the GDrive app installed.

I mean I guess the alternative is I just find another documents editor that can autoupload to dropbox or something

Google Drive is just so simple though ugh

The answer is learn markdown and keep everything in text files

BINGO

http://www.zapier.com

If anyone is looking to do the same thing I was doing, this is the thing that will do it!

Still wish @icyliquid had gone w md instead of keeping BBCode when we went to vanilla. Wasn't his call but a man can dream

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    BINGO

http://www.zapier.com

If anyone is looking to do the same thing I was doing, this is the thing that will do it!

The only reason I didn't suggest this is that the free version limits you to 100 "tasks" per month.

Pirusu on
This discussion has been closed.