As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Senran Kagura Bursts onto the 3DS!

13»

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    yeah .... wow that sure lives up the Producers Statement of Tits are Life ass is hometown

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I guess I have to wait for them to make a live action trailer for this game, since apparently fully anime jiggling is where the line is drawn, comparing my posts in this thread to the ones for Killer Is Dead. Oh well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What is it with Japan and boobies?

I was in Roppongi for the first time, and I was just strolling along, and some Nigerian bar promoter was slowly walking up to my side. As I'm walking past him, he felt the most eloquent way to promote his bar was to yell "TITTIES" in my ear.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I was going to warn you to not post a link of that but I fell asleep pretty early last night.

In other news SK 2 looks amazing. Drastic improvement visually over SK1 though that camera looks troublesome.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I feel asleep
    right now, not last night.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Alright, who's making the Monster Monpiece thread?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    No one, hopefully. I'm forever grateful their trashy games don't have the following here that they do on GAF.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Don't you mean the whole world?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »

What is is with Japan and releasing games that cultures outside their own are embarrassed to be seen playing?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Half of the world.

The other half is the ass-faction.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Monster Monpiece is pretty entertaining without even coming out, various forums are melting down over it. Technically it's censorship, I suppose. Seriously though, how was that game ever going to fly over here without some cuts? I'm fairly astounded the minigame didn't get cut entirely.

I'm surprised that Kotaku hasn't been beating the drum over this; they got some good traffic / mileage out of the Dragon's Crown thing. Maybe the dissonance of their Asian correspondent posting that stuff saying it's awesome while the North American crew decries it finally got to them.

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Alright, who's making the Monster Monpiece thread?

MM is kinda boring from all reports, not devoid of fun but very repetitive. SK always had this buzz that it was quite fun and had a decent story to go along with it.

• Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    Is this only available in US on the eShop? Amazon seems to only have the import and gamestop says nothing.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sul wrote: »
    Is this only available in US on the eShop? Amazon seems to only have the import and gamestop says nothing.

Correct. Only Europe gets a physical copy.

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular

What is is with Japan and releasing games that cultures outside their own are embarrassed to be seen playing?

I suspect your post was made semi-jokingly, so I apologize for this mostly-serious response. :P

First of all, most Japanese players would likely be embarrassed to be seen playing these games. But, to some extent, I think playing video games in general is more stigmatized in Japan than in the U.S. If you're familiar with Game Center CX (or Retro Game Challenge), you can see the narrator gets plenty of mileage out of the "middle-aged man still plays video games" jokes. So, if you can't admit to coworkers that you play Monster Hunter, not admitting to playing a game with tits isn't much worse.

Secondly, there are tons of examples of Western media that have, at some point, been stigmatized as embarrassing. Dungeons and Dragons, for example. Everything nerdy has been seen as embarrassing by someone.

Thirdly, using shame as a means to dissuade people from something is still disappointingly common. You even have Sony making statements about how adults should feel embarrassed to be seen with a 3DS in public. It's a transparent and shallow criticism, and I'll be overjoyed when gamers no longer resort to it.

(Again, this isn't directed at anyone specifically.)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Your post isn't even close to homing in on The Point. The game objectifies women and yes, you should feel some shame for spending money on such a thing.

Feel free to thrash and flop around that point by calling it "censorship" or whatever excuse on the board your dart happened to hit today, but it be what it be.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    What?

• Options
    Did you even play the game RR? It does certainly objectify women, can't deny that. It also fleshes out their characters in interesting ways and talks about some very interesting aspects of good versus evil, law versus chaos, wealth versus poverty while at the same time not taking itself too seriously. It knows what it is doing and overall I'd say it does a decent job of empowering women.

But you wouldn't know that if you never bothered playing it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ah yes, empowering, I see. So, I am to assume they are...strong female characters?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    They could probably kick my booty.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The game (or maybe the devs) really tries to have its cake and eat it too. It's maddening. Gameplay is solid (if repetitive), story and characterization are very good, blatant objectification — including the personality of at least one character on each side, tbh — taints the whole thing.

Honestly if I didn't receive a review code for it I probably would have skipped it. Without my own cash being tied to my owning the game (and thus no "sunk cost" effect), I found it to be intriguingly fun and played through both stories because I wanted to see how they developed.

As far as "empowering" and "strong female characters" goes? I guess the best comparison is to Sucker Punch, for good or for ill. What you thought of that movie is probably what you'd think of this game.

• Options
    Characters aside, that wasn't a good movie to begin with.

• Options
    That's a very apt comparison though SK isn't as dark...nor boring...

I don't really like Sucker Punch but I do like SK.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Was Sucker Punch that dadaism-like movie with the fascinatingly shoddy camerawork, some visibly cardboard-based sets and occasional wordsalad-dialogue?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Ah yes, empowering, I see. So, I am to assume they are...strong female characters?

I know this is a month old post by now @Rorus Raz but I thought this was an interesting read, regarding the characters in Senran Kagura:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/76988591792/reconsidering-senran-kagura-burst-senran-kagura

I haven't played the game but it almost made me want to give it a try.

If you want to tear it apart, be my guest, I don't have any interest in defending it due to not knowing much about the game...I just saw the thread bumped and thought it was an interesting article that's relevant here.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, I caught wind of this in the Vita thread.

Played a couple of hours last night and I'm enjoying it so far.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It's a little too thin for the price, but it was stupidly enjoyable.