As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Daze

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2014 in Camp Weedonwantcha

imageCamp Weedonwantcha by Katie Rice — Daze

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MalbouryMalboury Registered User new member
    More than two years, at a quick estimation?

• CrotonhurstCrotonhurst Registered User regular
    But does he know what day it was when he arrived?

• Lancer873Lancer873 Registered User new member
    I counted well over 200 sets, which given that this is only a partial view means that this person must either count more than each individual day or has probably been there at least 5 years now.

• ArikeleArikele Registered User new member
    3 years 240 days.... ish.

• snoproblemsnoproblem Registered User new member
    Anyone else starting to get a LOST vibe out of this camp? There's a weirdness to this place that has nothing to do with "Mom and Dad don't want me no more".

• Eric the PrezEric the Prez Registered User regular
    I think Katie took pity on us and made the kitty easy this time.....or is there a second kitty

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Molebert, as I call him, is a welcome addition to this cast of kooks.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Someone should consider teaching that child about Arabic number systems.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • dbrakdbrak Registered User new member
    In a wilderness with practically infinite time to spare, a human society, I think, could take two paths: specialization and civilization or descent into anarchy.

We almost saw some Lord-of-the-Flies-type conflict over the whistle/conch/precious, and even children like having power over others. Invariably, some social hierarchy will develop (unless you accept the feasibility of a Marxist utopia). Fears of "beasties" in the "it's kind of scary" quote regarding the mountain lions in "The Most Horrible Place in the World" (http://campcomic.com/comic/27), and the kid with the shovel demonstrates some sort of mobilization of labor.
    It would also be possible to return to civilization if they could create a signal fire or "HELP" signal on the ground with which to flag down the errant cargo plane. The boys in Lord of the Flies also explored their island, probably more fruitful in a place that is not an island (Brian found a water pump, but nobody sought the origins of the piping).

The other path of scientific, geographic, and civic development is already somewhat traversed. All members have at least elementary school education, and some, like Colin, have more. Even knowing that there are 356 and 1/4 days in a solar year is a great advantage in astronomy and timekeeping. The children have also built forts, a measure of engineering and an indicator of the feasibility of frontier settlement. Those familiar with geology might be able to smelt metals from minerals found in the mountains.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The hitch is that this kid doesn't remember the date he started counting on.

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I like how one girl knows it is March 3rd.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • prehemencieprehemencie Registered User new member
    It seems like the season would eliminate some of those possible dates.

• KreylKreyl Registered User regular
    I second naming him Molebert.

• KaZeFenrirKaZeFenrir Registered User regular
    The horror... the horror.. There is a half consumed corpse under that bunk.

• mushymushy Unprofessional Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So molebert counts the days; that is good yes!

I can also "feel" October

• Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    That cat is a lie! I know it! There must be a hidden cat...

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    this kid must really like the silence;
    or as master Yoda would say:
    the Silence must really like this kid.

• SquarksSquarks Registered User regular
    I can always feel October 11th, seeing as how that's my birthday :D

• Sovoq113Sovoq113 Registered User regular
    All them days

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    that's a whole lot of days there... dayum... Why do I get the feeling this comic is going to end up like lost... but FAR more interesting.

Also... This kitty wasn't even trying :D silly kitty!

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    dbrak wrote: »
    In a wilderness with practically infinite time to spare, a human society, I think, could take two paths: specialization and civilization or descent into anarchy.

We almost saw some Lord-of-the-Flies-type conflict over the whistle/conch/precious, and even children like having power over others. Invariably, some social hierarchy will develop (unless you accept the feasibility of a Marxist utopia). Fears of "beasties" in the "it's kind of scary" quote regarding the mountain lions in "The Most Horrible Place in the World" (http://campcomic.com/comic/27), and the kid with the shovel demonstrates some sort of mobilization of labor.
    It would also be possible to return to civilization if they could create a signal fire or "HELP" signal on the ground with which to flag down the errant cargo plane. The boys in Lord of the Flies also explored their island, probably more fruitful in a place that is not an island (Brian found a water pump, but nobody sought the origins of the piping).

The other path of scientific, geographic, and civic development is already somewhat traversed. All members have at least elementary school education, and some, like Colin, have more. Even knowing that there are 356 and 1/4 days in a solar year is a great advantage in astronomy and timekeeping. The children have also built forts, a measure of engineering and an indicator of the feasibility of frontier settlement. Those familiar with geology might be able to smelt metals from minerals found in the mountains.

*sigh* and here I just liked it because I thought it was funny and bittersweet.

• tinwatchmantinwatchman Registered User regular
    So they haven't seen the seasons change at all?... It's just perpetually summer?

How convenient... and creepy.

• jkeyjkey Registered User regular
    Now it's getting serious and we're finding out more about the Camp! So psyched!

• kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Visible or partially visible strokes make up, to my count, 3 years and 74 1/4 days - so the exact date depends on whether there was a leap year in between. And given that we see about half the room, the actual number probably is more like twice that - 6 years and 148.5 days, with definitely at least one leap year in there and 1/2 odds that there were two.
    Unless, of course, there was a change in century in there, in which case the leap year would have been skipped.
    Unless, of course, there was a change in millennium in there, in which case the leap year would have counted after all.
    Assuming this comic plays roughly in our time, neither would have happened the past 13 years, so those caveats probably are not of greater concern.
    Just how old are those kids though? Assuming, "Molebert" as people have called him, started counting all this stuff the day he appeared and that he counted accurately and that the other half of his room is just as filled up as this half, he must have been really young when he first came to this camp. Or perhaps he is older than he appears.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    All those marks make this one of the more depressing comics.

The people talking about the seasons. This 'camp' is likely located in a place that doesn't have all 4 seasons.. If it had seasons we probably would of saw them changing by now. Unless they are actually still in summer, and not aligned with the real world date. Maybe next year though, or whenever Katie could draw the seasons change. It could help with story ideas, and other interesting things. Purely up to Katie if she intends to ever include seasons.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I like the theory that it is perpetually summer and time has no meaning in Camp Weedonwantcha. "Always winter but never Christmas."

• AskmeaboutLOOMAskmeaboutLOOM There Can Be Only One. Oklahoma Oklahoma Oklahoma...city, county, state.Registered User regular
    "Even knowing that there are 356 and 1/4 days in a solar year is a great advantage in astronomy and timekeeping."

I dunno, seems like knowing there are 365 and 1/4 days would be more of a boon.

• elektronelektron Registered User new member
    August 23 birthday club

• ReiskaReiska Registered User regular
    Track of time is so very relative, most dependent of movement and actions of customers in bars.

• Pastels_ParadoxPastels_Paradox Registered User regular
    This makes me think that, perhaps, each camper was sent here at a different date and the camp is somehow magic, traveling through time to whenever a child needs it.
    I don't know, I'm re-reading the comic and I haven't in a while. It may be that the kids just have no idea.

• Great UlcerGreat Ulcer Registered User regular
    I get the kids are dropped off forever but that's disconcerting, even by this comic's standard