As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Solicitations for December 2007

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm aRegistered User, Disagreeable regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
(reclaiming my throne from Blankspace)

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Dec07/solicitations.html

full solicits up on Monday

countdown21coversolicitkq6.jpg
ctarenacv1hh6.jpg
ctmyscv4bj3.jpg
ctadvcv5gd4.jpg
ctrpredsoncv1solicitra3.jpg
cpsrpswbwsolicitbb8.jpg
ctlhcv3solicitih6.jpg
salrcv2za3.jpg

Garlic Bread on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    all of them are pretty good except for Countdown to the 90's

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I love that one.

Batman and giant gun / laser hands. and the pouches O lord the pouches!! Time travel does exist folks.

Liefeld's current going "pssh..I've been doing that longer than anyone...fags"

Love the Countdown to Mystery and Arena covers though.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Personally I blame it on me getting my 360 back. Damn you Keith!

Also, all of the covers are awesome except for the 90's one.

I especially love the Red Son one.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Personally I blame it on me getting my 360 back. Damn you Keith!

Also, all of the covers are awesome except for the 90's one.

I especially love the Red Son one.

Kyle looks like he doesn't know what the fuck

Furu on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    So many tie-ins to the countdown to the event which will also have a gazillion tie-ins which will lead to the next countdown to the next event which will have tie-ins...

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well, the first big tie in was a decent read, so let's hope the trend continues.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    So many tie-ins to the countdown to the event which will also have a gazillion tie-ins which will lead to the next countdown to the next event which will have tie-ins...

Welcome to the comics industry!

Furu on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The only Countdown tie-in/spin off I'm remotely interested in is Arena, and that's just because of alternate universe Blue Beetles and Nightshades, and to see what editorially mandated fan fiction at its finest reads like.

Munch on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, that Batman Arena cover is awesome, looking forward to that.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    what about Countdown to Adventure

it has animal man

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    what about Countdown to Adventure

it has animal man

Doesn't matter. It has no Blue Beetle. Or the name "Ted Kord" in any text bubble.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Really it's more that it's written by Adam Beechen, who doesn't inspire confidence based on what he's written so far (outside of the JLU comics), and being part of a big editorially driven crossover certainly doesn't help. Plus, I don't want to pay extra for a comic just because it has a back-up featuring some night elf ninja that Graymiotti created after a long night of anime and MMOGs. Even the name just leaves me kind of meh. It's counting down to adventure? Why don't I wait until it's over and just get the actual adventure? Seems to make more sense.

But if I hear it's good after it's wrapped up I'll go back and buy the eventual trade.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This Countdown shit is getting out of hand.. I've trimmed my DC pull list to almost half of what it was.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You mean you trimmed out all the one shots?

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No I've trimmed most of the books that are tying into it. I want less Countdown stuff, not more.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Sooo..what..two issues of Superman...two of Supergirl, a few All New Atom...

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Countdown is the crux of every major DCU storyline building over the next year.

I hated Countdown.

I am now reading far less DC titles.

Why is this hard to understand

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the only thing fun in countdown is trickster and piper.

only dc im reading nowadays is green lantern stuff. because seriously, who wouldn't?

EDIT: Oh, and booster gold.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'm just curious as to what half of your pull list contains.

Thats all. Dink.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to what half of your pull list contains.

Thats all. Dink.

Well think of it this way, during the last couple DC events I was buying the minis and tie ins et al.
    This time around I'm not.

And everything new coming down the pipe is Countdown to something. Booster Gold is the only DC title I've added to my list in a long time. And aside from jumping onto Wonder Woman and Robin once Gail Simone and Chuck Dixon take over, there's really nothing from DC I'm really looking forward to. Even Infinite Crisis wasn't this bad, they had the 4 big miniseries but thats about it.

This has a weekly series, a bunch of minis, and a ton of one-shots in addition to all the tie-ins. Plus that Amazon Attacks mini-event which turned Teen Titans into dreck for 3 months.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can understand not liking tie-ins

But

it's not a DC thing

at all

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Plus that Amazon Attacks mini-event which turned Teen Titans into dreck for 3 months.

Two

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I can understand not liking tie-ins

But

it's not a DC thing

at all

I didnt say I dont like tie-ins, I just dont like the Countdown tie-ins.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    You know, I can handle tie-ins. Civil War had a fuckton, same with Infinite Crisis, and to a lesser extent, House of M and World War Hulk.

But it just seems that Countdown has more than most other events have had. I mean, aside from the fact that the core part of it is 52 weekly issues long, there are how many tie-in miniseries and one shots? Not to mention all the tie-ins with ongoing series.

I understand how the event thing works, with all the tie-ins and whatnot, and I'm okay with it. But DC seems to be, I dunno, reaching too far on this, and I don't know how well the market is actually reacting to it. I don't think the Countdown logo is really causing people to check out existing series the way Civil War or Infinite Crisis did.

That said, I dont think I'll be picking up many of the Countdown minis or one-shots. Partially because I'm broke, and partially because none of them really grab my interest. But that's not to say they won't be good, or sell well. I'm just kind of wary of DC putting so much faith in the selling power of Countdown, when, up to this point, it really hasn't earned a reputation for being a big title-mover.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My biggest problem is that all too often I'll be reading a comic and all of a sudden: "Catch this scene in Countdown #Whatever!" "Wanna know the whole story? Read Countdown #Whatever!"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Countdown has been pretty bad so far

but I've enjoyed most of the tie-ins

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah Geebs pretty much summed up how I feel. It's one thing for an event itself to have a ton of tie ins.. but Countdown is just a lead in to an event. Now we have to have a bunch of tie-ins and minis to the year long setup of an event that we still basically know nothing about?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So is Countdown to Mystery basically the results of the Dr. Fate ongoing being canceled?

Edit: Or delayed indefinitely, as I think it was stated.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Same book more or less. Still written by Steve Gerber. It was originally going to be titled Doctor Fate, and drawn by Paul Gulacy. Gulacy left because of some sort of scheduling conflict, and then Justiniano came aboard for issue #2, but the book was then put on hiatus.

Then it was retitled Countdown to Mystery with an Eclipso backup story put in. Unfortunately Steve Gerber has had a lot of health problems which has caused delays on the book, though as you can see issue one is finally coming out.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    i'll be getting whichever tie-ins are relevant to the broad story of Green Lantern and/or Kyle Rayner

which for awhile i thought might include Countdown to the 90s, but this latest solicit doesn't mention the Challengers so i'll probably pass

Rans on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Challengers are in Lord Havok and the Extremists.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Challengers are in Lord Havok and the Extremists.

Yeah I saw them mentioned in the Solicits for issues 1 & 2, but not mentioned in 3. Obviously they're not the title characters, so maybe that's all they're going to appear in. I won't know until it all comes out so I may be picking it up after the whole mini-series is over.

Rans on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

I love that one.

Batman and giant gun / laser hands. and the pouches O lord the pouches!! Time travel does exist folks.

Liefeld's current going "pssh..I've been doing that longer than anyone...fags"

Zombie vampire Gordon there in the corner is pretty hot.

He's like: "I'm crazy! I'm undead! I have this fucking revolver bitch!"

Note: How the fuck is "undead" not in Firefox's spellcheck?

august on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I am all for 90's-era DC parody universe. I bet Gordon is some sort of Spawn pastiche.

Furu on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

I hated Countdown.

Off the top of my head I can name three major storylines that aren't tied into Countdown. Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, Sinestro Corps War and Black Canary/Green Arrow wedding (though I admit that last one is a bit iffy since they've mentioned it a few times in Countdown).

And why does every story have to be major anyway? Blue Beetle's one of my favourite books around and it's only tied into Teen Titans and Sinestro Corps War. There are plenty of other quality DC titles that are pretty self-contained too, including Justice Society, Batman, Detective Comics, Checkmate and Flash.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited September 2007

I hated Countdown.

Off the top of my head I can name three major storylines that aren't tied into Countdown. Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, Sinestro Corps War and Black Canary/Green Arrow wedding (though I admit that last one is a bit iffy since they've mentioned it a few times in Countdown).

And why does every story have to be major anyway? Blue Beetle's one of my favourite books around and it's only tied into Teen Titans and Sinestro Corps War. There are plenty of other quality DC titles that are pretty self-contained too, including Justice Society, Batman, Detective Comics, Checkmate and Flash.

Sinestro Corps War is awesome, I'll be reading the Ra's storyline too because I love him. BC/GA I'm not interested in because of Winnick. And you just listed most of the my current pull list there, although JSA already had a tie in with Countdown and if you think more aren't coming (for that and the other books) I dont know what to tell you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That Batman cover is confusing me. Why are there three Batmans? Why is one of them a vampire?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The JSA/JLA story isn't a tie-in with Countdown

Countdown's a tie-in with that story

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    That Batman cover is confusing me. Why are there three Batmans? Why is one of them a vampire?

solicitations also come with word descriptions!

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BigDes wrote: »

solicitations also come with word descriptions!

I don't know whether it's just because I'm tired, but that nearly caused me to coat my screen in cake.

devoir on