As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CINEMATIC FANTASTIC [Film and Media Discussion Party]

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    URIEL, YOU'RE FIRED

You can't fire him!

We're basically required to pay him for putting up with his brother.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I... What?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    URIEL, YOU'RE FIRED

Get 1 coffin ready.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Now watch For a Few Dollars More. Then watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Then watch them again, but in story order instead of release order.

Then watch Once Upon A Time In The West and take a drink every time you see a John Ford homage.

Fun fact: the "Man With No Name" trilogy was a thing invented to market the films in America.

Eastwood's character has a name in all 3 films.

Fistful: Joe
    A Few Dollars More: Manco
    Good, Bad, Ugly: Blondie

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Fun fact: the "Man With No Name" trilogy was a thing invented to market the films in America.

Eastwood's character has a name in all 3 films.

Fistful: Joe
    A Few Dollars More: Manco
    Good, Bad, Ugly: Blondie

Fistful is a remake of Yojimbo, and just like in Yojimbo he just makes up a name when someone asks him for it. But it ain't his real name.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Also Yojimbo is an adaptation of the Dashiell Hammett book Red Harvest.

I have no proof of this. It is just what I think.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm choosing to believe you're referring to the Death Troopers prequel instead

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Now watch For a Few Dollars More. Then watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Then watch them again, but in story order instead of release order.

What is the story order? I thought it was the same as they were released: Fistful is the start, then For a Few More. He's called Manco to draw attention to his hand which is in a brace after being tortured in Fistful. Then he gets rich and drifts away from his roots and in GBU he returns to them after comforting the dying soldier.

I suppose you could put GBU first though. But I like the 'rebirth' stuff, particularly with the near death experience in the desert.

Gvzbgul on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Then watch Once Upon A Time In The West and take a drink every time you see a John Ford homage.

when you look for this make sure you add "in the west" or you're gonna be in for a rough time

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    after 3-4 false starts due to 2 faulty blurays and a bad download finally got to see dredd.

ruled

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

What is the story order? I thought it was the same as they were released: Fistful is the start, then For a Few More. He's called Manco to draw attention to his hand which is in a brace after being tortured in Fistful. Then he gets rich and drifts away from his roots and in GBU he returns to them after comforting the dying soldier.

I suppose you could put GBU first though. But I like the 'rebirth' stuff, particularly with the near death experience in the desert.

GBU is first because it's set during the Civil War, and I'm pretty sure Fistful or Few More mentions that war as a thing that already happened

Then go watch stuff like High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider and develop whiskey-fueled theories about why they're all the same character

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Which movie does he get his iconic poncho in?

GBU is a prequel to the Fistful movies.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How does the name Manco draw attention to his hand?

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Spanish
    From Latin mancus (“maimed,” “crippled”).
    Adjective
    manco m (feminine manca, masculine plural mancos, feminine plural mancas)
    one-handed, one-armed, maimed
    defective, faulty

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    wikipedia says that if there's a sequel it should deal with how dredd is a facist some more, which is good

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

i mean, the proof you could have is that he said his inspiration was Dashiell Hammett and that film scholars say the inspiration is Red Harvest.

Langly wrote: »

i mean, the proof you could have is that he said his inspiration was Dashiell Hammett and that film scholars say the inspiration is Red Harvest.

Sure if you want to believe those crackpots

• MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    Just finished The Act of Killing. It might be the best movie I never want to see again.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    either way that is an unbroken chain of Greatness

ikbUJdU.jpg
    act of killing was phenomenal

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    wikipedia says that if there's a sequel it should deal with how dredd is a facist some more, which is good
    I want that Judge Dredd U story with the shark-headed corporate guy and "Yes, he is an idiot." I can't remember that Judge's name for anything, though. Little help?

• MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    act of killing was phenomenal

Absolutely but I don't think I could stomach it again.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Spanish
    From Latin mancus (“maimed,” “crippled”).
    Adjective
    manco m (feminine manca, masculine plural mancos, feminine plural mancas)
    one-handed, one-armed, maimed
    defective, faulty

Huh, I wonder if this is where we get 'manky' from.

I'm going to go with 'yes'.

forumsig.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Another reason the Man With No Name moniker is awesome is the reveal at the end of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Of those three I have only seen Good, Bad, Ugly.

I remember it being long.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It is long, but worth it for the awesome end.

I prefer For a Few Dollars More out of the trilogy, because it's a nice mid point between the simple, straightforward plot of A Fistful of Dollars and the long meandering The Good the Bad and the Ugly. I have a soft spot for Once Upon a Time in the West as it's closer to a more traditional western. The main reason I watch the films is for Ennio Moricone's soundtracks.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I remember the first time I saw The Good, The Bad and The Ugly was at, like, 1 am in the morning. I was starting to feel a little drowsy and falling in and out of consciousness during the civil war segment.

But then Tuco's head hit the gravestone and Ecstasy of Gold started.

I was fucking jolted awake and watched the climax wide-eyed, as far from sleep as I could possibly be. I read someone describe the climax as being electrifying and that is just the perfect word. The last thirty minutes of that movie are maybe my all-time favourite scenes.

The stuff with the soldiers does drag, it's true

Finally setting aside half my fucking day to watch Lawrence of Arabia

Okay I'm gonna have to break at the intermission and finish it tomorrow because I keep almost dozing off

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

A post-script journey through Philip Seymour Hoffman's lifetime in cinema.
    200 hours of work went into breaking down 47 of Hoffman's films. Compiling his legacy has been one of the most challenging experiences I've ever faced as an editor, and yet indescribably rewarding. I can assure you that after 22 years on screen and nearly fifty films, we now look at the work of an actor who never had a single dishonest moment on camera. I know because I've seen them all. Please take a breather and raise your glasses to one of our greatest.

edited March 2014
    The stuff with the soldiers does drag, it's true

I don't think it drags so much as gb&u is the perfect encapsulation of a time and a place and a genre. A few dollars more is (in my opinion) the perfect western movie and gb&u is the perfect genre experience. It isn't edited as tightly or have as structured a narrative but it is huge and the highs are higher and the score builds to larger peaks and is a culmination of the two proceeding entries.

Langly on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey guys, just so you know

they just added Robin Hood: Men in Tights to Netflix Instant

I tried rewatching that recently and it doesn't hold up as well as some of his other stuff

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    so i saw The Wind Rises today

in an interview hayao miyazaki basically said that he's retiring from filmmaking because he put in the maximum amount of effort he possibly could to make this movie, that this is his swan song

after seeing it for myself i am inclined to agree

do not hesitate to see this movie

i was not expecting to be as blown away as i was by it, but it is seriously the culmination of his entire movie career

uc3ufTB.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This is apparently like the tenth time he's done this.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
This discussion has been closed.