As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Glossolalia] Silver\Vignette (Everybody Join In)

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wait, could Neo's and my bonuses add up to +3. Because if not, that makes it very difficult to even knock someone out without triggering an alert and accruing penalties.

IKknkhU.gif
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Players can always aid each other - add any positives from the helping players' rolls together.

Okay, well, I feel like we should add our pluses together, since I'm using his knockback to add power to my attack.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Stilts wrote: »
    Okay, well, I feel like we should add our pluses together, since I'm using his knockback to add power to my attack.

I'd personally say it should only work if the characters are actively attacking together.

as it stands, you two had wildly separate actions. your character even commented on it.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I'd personally say it should only work if the characters are actively attacking together.

as it stands, you two had wildly separate actions. your character even commented on it.

yeah i'm gonna say it needs to be an active coordination if you wanna pool your pluses

one last question: so, it takes three successes to defeat an enemy. does that mean that they have to get a 3 to do it, or is it sufficient to get 3 1s over the course of three actions?

I was assuming the latter but now i dunno

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i guess it would have to be that you need to break a 3 on a single action, or else why would you bank pluses

edited March 2014

yeah i'm gonna say it needs to be an active coordination if you wanna pool your pluses

one last question: so, it takes three successes to defeat an enemy. does that mean that they have to get a 3 to do it, or is it sufficient to get 3 1s over the course of three actions?

I was assuming the latter but now i dunno

The former, actually.

This is why Holds and Plays are important.

E: Exactly.

It's also why enemies that have concepts are harder to kill - their negatives impact the "must break three" of defeating them.

DE?AD on
    alright, now that we got all that mechanical brickabrack worked out, time to update!

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Watcher Albatross (panoptic visor +2)

lost

Watcher shakes free from the big man's grasp. "F- fine," he manages to choke out.

where

"Lead," he says. "Follow."

follow
    lead

He stands and waits for the former, prepared to do the latter.

where am I where am I where am I where where where where where

Kilroy on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Kilroooooooy

Dust post

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Unknown Shardskin (Held: 0)
    Io gathers her equipment while Barton raises his glass.

Bergandier (Held: 2)
    The doors thaw and drain away, revealing the large chamber housing the Frost Core. Spires of ice surround the central pillar, each aglow with interface windows. Circular catwalks allow access to the core from different levels, though there don't appear to be any entrances on the higher floors.

As the doors collapse, yetis-1 surge into the room, and Maya's trap goes off-3 +3.

The spires erupt, spraying electrified slush across the room. They howl and duck for cover as the lights cut out, dropping the room into strobe-lit madness of freezer-fire and arcing lightning.

Maya's back arches as the sapphires along her spine expand up onto her shoulders, and trace down her arms (Icy Sapphire Spine -2).

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Kilroooooooy

Dust post

oh sorry!

go ahead an post an update. I can't think of anything to do

Well

I wish I had known those particular rules before I made my post for Speed's game.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited March 2014
    This is an egg.

Can you say, "egg?"

Egg. Egg. Eh. Eh. Eh. Eh-gg. Eh-gg. Egg. Egg.

Very good.

E is a very special letter. By itself, it sounds like "eh." but if you put it at the end of a word, it makes a vowel say its name! Do you know your vowels? They are A, E, I, O, and U, and sometimes, Y. We will cover this more in a later session.

<netEpsilon.DistractionTeam>{

The group heads south, toward the graveyard. The area is abandoned, not nearly as lively as the town center as. The wind howls quietly.

The tombstones are nice-looking, made of a smooth, white stone. No visible scuffs or cracks. It's as if they're all brand new. But one thing does strike you as odd: there are no names on any of them. Nothing whatsoever to indicate who is buried here.
    };

<netEpsilon.InfiltrationTeam>{

Breaker Eagle and Titanium Flea take to the sky separately, as Blade Jaguar speeds in a circle around to "Freight-Train." Now above the blinding glow of the light, Breaker gets a better look at "Spotlight." The name's a good one; the light seems to be beaming directly out of his head. As he lines up his shot, his nanites begin cross-referencing what they can see of the enemy's face with known mercenaries. The red "ERROR" that pops up on screen nearly throws off his aim. The following message rings in his ears in an unpleasant, echoing electric voice:

"ERROR: target's facial structures are a 100% match for former TIGERSHARK operative Chelsea Howard, AKA Spotlight Mosquito-2. However, Spotlight Mosquito-2 has been confirmed to be dead. Target is an imposter."

Spotlight Mosquito-2 feels the breaker pulse rumble through her body, and leaps back. [1 + 2 - 2 = 1] Not fast enough. Her body armor shatters on her right side, brusing her torso as the fragments explode outword. "VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!" she screams. [Breaker Eagle's status re: Spotlight Mosquito-2 is now ?] Her searchlight eyes begin to search frantically for the source of the attack, her SMG drawn.

Titanium Flea, meanwhile, begins lining up his dropkick on "Freight-Train." Like Breaker, his nanites go wild:

"ERROR: target's facial structures are a 100% match for former TIGERSHARK operative Clint Caine, AKA Freight-Train Buffalo-2. However, Freight-Train Buffalo-2 has been confirmed dead. Target is an imposter."

Imposter or not, it doesn't stop Flea's crazy legs from slamming hard into his torso. [0 + 3 - 2 = 1] Buffalo lets out a groan as he's thrown back, barely regaining his balance before Blade Jaguar lunges into action, her nanites displaying the same message as Flea's. Her katana swings for the seven-foot-tall man's neck, but he throws his arm out, the blade digging into his forearm and stopping when it meets bone. [0, + 1 for played pair, -1 for played pair, -2 for Freight-Train Buffalo2] With his free arm, he rears back and rams his fist toward Jaguar's body, the cow-catcher slamming into her stomach and sending her flying back, leaving her sword stuck in his arm. He tears it out and stabs it diagonally into the ground, and then, gripping the hilt tightly, stomps on the blade, smashing it into pieces. [It goes without saying that Jaguar's and Flea's status re: Freight-Train Buffalo-2 is now ! ].

With Mosquito now searching for the rapidly descending Eagle, the others no longer have her eyes blinding them, freeing them up to attack the final member. As the light pulls away, they each receive the same message:

"ERROR: target's facial structures are a 100% match for former TIGERSHARK operative Rachel Woodard, AKA Tripwire Tarantula-3. However, Tripwire Tarantula-3 has been confirmed dead. Target is an imposter."

As Solar Dog prepares his attack, Recurve Salamander looses an arrow toward Tarantula. With all the speed of a... tarantula? she whips around, a thick wire wrapped around her hands. Just as the arrow is about to hit her, she flings her arms circularly, catching the arrow in a knot of wire. Giving the knot a tight pull, the shaft of the arrow splinters and breaks, the pieces of it flying past her head. [-1 + 2 - 3 = -2] She grins at Salamander, emerald eyes shining, tufts of soaked black hair stuck to her face.

"You guys must be the newbies!" she yells out over the pounding sound of rain. "The boss said you might be showing up." As she speaks, Dog launches his electromagnetic attack. [-2 + 2 - 3 = -3] "Whoops!" Tarantula's reflexes are, once again, incredible. She slides her right hand along her left arm, sending a length of copper wire shooting out. The end of the wire stabs into Dog's shoulder, and he can only look on in horror as she flings the other end of the wire into the path of the bolt he just fired, causing the current to return right back to him, inflicting him with the same electric shock he had intended for her. [Solar Dog's and Recurve Salamander's status re: Tripwire Tarantula-3 is now !]. "C'mon, guy, you gotta try better than that."

Tarantula's smug-peacocking is suddenly cut short as a hand grabs her neck from behind and slams her into the dirt. [3 + 3 - 3 = 3] Tarantula, dazed, stares up at Quiet Viper. "Yerrrrrr preddy good fer aaaaa rookie," she slurs before passing out [Tripwire Tarantuala is defeated!]
    };

Speed Racer on
    everyone else go home

dux has this under control

edited March 2014
    Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1)(Break +1)

"Keep it together, people!" Chase in the best shout he can manage over the subvocal channel. "Let's knock these mothereffers out so they can tell us why they have TIGERSHARK faces later."

He drops into the ground, diving below Mosquito and erupting within Buffalo. "Concentrate your attack's on the big fucker." He widens his stance, putting his own ankles into the ex-operative's, letting his breaker field do its work on them.

Fun Fact: Chase's Breaker Field only damages on rigid structures. This may be pertinent later.

Geth roll 1d4-1d4+1

Play 2 Pairs. Aiding Jaguar and Flea.

1d4-1d4+1 -1 [1d4=1] [1d4=3]

DE?AD on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Atlas America Minigun Grizzly (Unsubtle +1) (Tough Bastard +1)
    "Entire place is false, somehow. That woman did not see me until she run into me, now this." He muses for a few moments. "Feels like trap that we approach from wrong end of."

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    I really need to finish my characters story

Dan Bixel Recurve Salamander (Archer +1) (Recon+1)

Alright, giant error messages aren't that great when lining up a shot.

Lets see if this works better.

Bixel reaches into his quiver, letting the salamander housed within climb up to his shoulder. Its vision links with Bixel, making his vision a 270 degree arc.
    He pulls out a putty arrow, knocks it up, and lets it fly at spotlight.

Time to put out that pesky light.

Geth roll 1d4-1d4+1

Maybe more? I think im unseen

1d4-1d4+1 1 [1d4=3] [1d4=3]

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    substrata_land_dwellers_lineup_by_fightpunch-d66vzar.jpg

Unrelated to anything

I just really like this picture

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Got the next thread sitting in my drafts.

Also, totally wasn't joking about the Van thing.

Side Side note

I need to figure out how to make archery more interesting

Its fun animated but its hard to describe more than "takes out arrow, lets it go"

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Chase Maverick Breaker Eagle (Recon +1)(Break +1)

"Keep it together, people!" Chase in the best shout he can manage over the subvocal channel. "Let's knock these mothereffers out so they can tell us why they have TIGERSHARK faces later."

He drops into the ground, diving below Mosquito and erupting within Buffalo. "Concentrate your attack's on the big fucker." He widens his stance, putting his own ankles into the ex-operative's, letting his breaker field do its work on them.

Fun Fact: Chase's Breaker Field only damages on rigid structures. This may be pertinent later.

Geth roll 1d4-1d4+1

Play 2 Pairs. Aiding Jaguar and Flea.

wait

are you allowed to play 2 pairs?

you only rolled a 1 on your positive die

doesn't that mean you only have 1 pair to play?

wait no you rolled a 3 i'm just illiterate

wait no again that's bluedude that rolled a 3, you totally rolled a one, i'm double-illiterate

I rolled a 1, but I also have the pair from my (Break +1).

Guys I'm having a lot of fun with machination

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Side Side note

I need to figure out how to make archery more interesting

Its fun animated but its hard to describe more than "takes out arrow, lets it go"

Minor edit to your action

take the other end of the copper wire dug into Solar Dog's shoulder, tie it to your arrow for a sweet combo attack YEAH

and a minor flavor detail that really doesn't matter: this guy doesn't shock people. The charge his body carries is used to create electromagnet fields. The idea is messing with sensitive electronics, like nanomachines and sensitive optics. Probably not gonna go all Volgin on people.

VRXwDW7.png
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I really really like this syzzstem now that I know how it works

I really really like this syzzstem now that I know how it works

How's it feel stilts, me and you in another one if speeds games; me kicking dudes you losing your weapons
    Just like old times

How's it feel stilts, me and you in another one if speeds games; me kicking dudes you losing your weapons
    Just like old times

Omg I need to stop iPad posting

Omg I need to stop iPad posting

no, never

jnij103vqi2i.png
    I am the Chumpo

figure you folks might get a kick out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInn4BxUfYE

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited March 2014
    anime theme pop music mixed with heavy metal.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    I mean, I think it's good and I like it.

I just can't listen to those vocals and think anything beyond "that sounds like it'd be on a show's soundtrack".

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited March 2014
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Just like old times

It feels like suffering.

Eden del Bosque Blade Jaguar (Swords +1) (Stealth +1)

Subdue? Very well, Jaguar transmits to Breaker. You...do realize our intranet still works, don't you?

She unclips her katana's sheath from its leather straps and holds it like a sword. Then, she rushes down Freight-Train and strikes a pressure point on his neck with the sheath.

[Tap (Swords +1).]

Play 1 Pair to aid Breaker and Flea.

Geth roll 1d4-1d4

1d4-1d4 -2 [1d4=1] [1d4=3]

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.