As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] Fandango

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    to be fair, they didn't have nukes in WWI or WWII

Um....um.....god, I hope this is a joke I missed the set up for.
    The government is the same way. They will send you to bumfuck, nowhere for a conference and pay $$$$$$ but if you suggest just buying better VTC equipment to forego some of these needless trips, they look at you like a family of jews eying a penny

Does it need to go out to bid? If no, then easy. If yes, then fuck it.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    XCOM

first mission

rookies are dying like flies, but nobody panicked

it was the strangest thing

then the last survivor gets nicked for one damage, during a dash. Finishes the dash, and panics.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Turning a protagonist into a villain between games is cheating because you are taking the choice out of the players' hands. Blah Blah narrative blah blah artist.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Is "fastest selling" corrected for the size of the market now as opposed to at the times of the other launches?

It doesn't seem that meaningful a number, in absolute terms.

My wife got a text from her best friend this morning.
    Her best friend got a text from her fiance's girlfriend.
    What a douchebag.

deebs is this the post you meant to quote

Yes. It's a personal anecdote that draws a parallel between the console market and romantic interpersonal relation....shut up.

For a minute I actually thought it was meant to be some kind of abstract joke playing on ambiguity of definition that I couldn't figure out.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I also didn't like how in Infamous 2
    The blue chick who's been all goody two shoes the whole game suddenly turns evil and the red chick who's been bad the whole game is suddenly the good one. I feel like they didn't really justify that very well, it was a huge turnoff for me.

Mostly because I had a crush on blue chick and I wanted the protagonist to hook up with her.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I will say that Sony or Microsoft would have had a day one console purchase from me if either of them had had a decent launch title. As it stands, I need something console exclusive to sway me.

Yeah I'm waiting to see how exclusives shake out

This is the first generation where it feels like Sony and Microsoft have an equal shot at my affections <3

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Man I totally get into the main characters in video games but I also really love the opportunity to switch characters as well

It's one of the biggest things I love about GTAV

There's a decent list of games that do it but I feel like it might be spoilery to just throw out titles if you don't know a switch is coming

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Is "fastest selling" corrected for the size of the market now as opposed to at the times of the other launches?

Well, the PS2/gamecube/xbox generation sold ~200 million units, and the PS3/360/wii generation sold ~260 million units... 100 million of which were Wiis and sold to a vastly different segment not interested in modern consoles.

If anything the modern console market shrunk last generation.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Other than those two things, though, I really enjoyed the Infamous series.

I'll probably play Inf3 when I get a PS4, which will be years from now probably.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thom unless there is a gap in my history EASTERN EUROPE did not have nukes in WWII, and WWII was not dangerous BECAUSE of nukes. The nukes were a cheap addon for the Pacific Theater DLC, and the GOOD GUYS had them.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    James Franco To Host Francofest, An All Franco Film Fest

umm.gif?w=580

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Turning a protagonist into a villain between games is cheating because you are taking the choice out of the players' hands. Blah Blah narrative blah blah artist.

I hate Schrödinger's Villains.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I got Infamous as the free "we're so sorry" game from Sony. I ended up loving it even though I'd had no previous interest in the series. But I think that was right around when 2 came out and for some reason I never picked 2 up. Now I only remember the twist and not much else. I kind of wish I'd played 2 right afterward.

Same. I liked it a lot, but I never finished it. No particular reason why. The game was good, but something about it felt kinda flakey or insubstantial, and I'm not sure what.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    What's flakey about Infamous is what they've been talking about, mainly. The narrative cheats. Constantly.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    so i guess we have moved through the option period and are for-real buying a house

@Gonmun‌ how are things going with your home buying times, bro?

Grats Gooey! I hope you guys are really happy with it and that the move goes smoothly for you.

Haven't heard anything more with relation to things for us. Frankly I'm of the mind I'm probably not getting the deposit back on the initial offer unless they are snail mailing it to me but I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. Think the wife and I are going to take some time and re-evaluate and continue to save money and build her credit. Might revisit it in 6 months or a year so we don't have to ask my folks to co-sign if her credit is established enough then and might look into modular homes closer to where my son's new high school will be located.

as long as you were in your option period you should be getting any deposit back beyond the option fee, right?

We thought we were, or rather, we thought things had broken down since we hadn't seen a single financial document nor had we provided any docs to the realtor to see if we were approved on conditional financing.

hmm. they ought to be refunding you then, i think. i would dog your agent about it, i guess.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I just caught three errors in the resume I've been sending out for the last three days.

I guess on the bright side they were all minor errors.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I also didn't like how in Infamous 2
    The blue chick who's been all goody two shoes the whole game suddenly turns evil and the red chick who's been bad the whole game is suddenly the good one. I feel like they didn't really justify that very well, it was a huge turnoff for me.

Mostly because I had a crush on blue chick and I wanted the protagonist to hook up with her.
    I was okay with the switch, because the previous reveal that "cure == death" helps explain it. What I don't like is the continuance of the Good/Evil choice even then. There's an actual moral dilemma where at least some people are going to die and no way to dodge it. It would be nice if they dropped the Good/Evil choice for that one time.

That said, in the Good choice I do love "Let Go". Feels like a subtle blend of story and gameplay.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/gallery/tmwc3
    I'm sure one of you have this fetish.
    freak

well it fucking is now, thanks

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    What's flakey about Infamous is what they've been talking about, mainly. The narrative cheats. Constantly.

You know, it didn't really bother me that much. It felt very comic book narrative to me. Which I think fit with the style of the game obviously.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I need to get a haircut and a prescription refill and weigh in today

so many errands

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thom unless there is a gap in my history EASTERN EUROPE did not have nukes in WWII, and WWII was not dangerous BECAUSE of nukes. The nukes were a cheap addon for the Pacific Theater DLC, and the GOOD GUYS had them.

Well no, but most of Eastern Europe became a charnel house early in the war.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    I haven't looked at sales figures but the mainstream press reporting has suggested that the xbone isn't selling very well, compared either to expectations or in comparison to the ps4.

Any truth to that, or is that hasty over generalisation?

Strictly anecdotal, but I have yet to see a PS4 in a physical shop, while XBones are easy to source.

Huh. Everyone I know IRL who has jumped on next gen (a cousin, my brother-in-law, and a few people in the office) has gone ps4.

I haven't physically seen an xbone yet.

Oddly, it seems to be the exact opposite for everyone I know.

I could not tell you who among my friends owns a PS4, if anyone, but there's a sizable chunk of xbox one owners.

Let's be real, here. It depends on how much latent weabooism infects your circle of contacts. If you hang around a bunch of CoD bros, it's gonna be xbones everywhere. If your friends hear the word Persona and think of animes before they think of a character played by an actor, there's gonna be ps4's everywhere.

They're mostly developers, designers and artists, really, and not big CoD fans. That said most of them should probably seek medical treatment for the month long boners they have for Titanfall.

Actually, now that I think about it even the token weeaboo in my circle of friends has an Xbox One.

Persona 5 has been announced with a 2015 release date in the US. On the PS3. Even the weeaboos are going to have plenty of time to save up for a PS4 if they want an Xbone first.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    so i guess we have moved through the option period and are for-real buying a house

Grats Gooey! I hope you guys are really happy with it and that the move goes smoothly for you.

Haven't heard anything more with relation to things for us. Frankly I'm of the mind I'm probably not getting the deposit back on the initial offer unless they are snail mailing it to me but I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. Think the wife and I are going to take some time and re-evaluate and continue to save money and build her credit. Might revisit it in 6 months or a year so we don't have to ask my folks to co-sign if her credit is established enough then and might look into modular homes closer to where my son's new high school will be located.

as long as you were in your option period you should be getting any deposit back beyond the option fee, right?

We thought we were, or rather, we thought things had broken down since we hadn't seen a single financial document nor had we provided any docs to the realtor to see if we were approved on conditional financing.

hmm. they ought to be refunding you then, i think. i would dog your agent about it, i guess.

Last email I sent was on Thursday and asked that they forward it to us at their earliest convienence. No response from them since and after they attempted to bully us into buying by saying they had told the sellers to see a lawyer I just really want to get them out of my life forever. Already spoke with a lawyer myself but the deposit was so little that it's not something I'm incredibly heartbroken over anyway so we'll see how it goes.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Man I totally get into the main characters in video games but I also really love the opportunity to switch characters as well

There's a decent list of games that do it but I feel like it might be spoilery to just throw out titles if you don't know a switch is coming

GTAV's character switching mechanic was awesome, but at times i felt like i was missing some of the action. but i guess that gives the game some replayability? on the other hand, i liked feeling like the heists were really a multi-person job, and not just myself interacting with some scripted npcs.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Ludious, did you play through Infamous twice, by any chance? Like, once as evil, once as good?

There's a part in it that bugged the fuck out of me, and I'd be interested in your opinion on it.

I can give Infamous opinions!

So basically, the part where...
    ...the bad guy hangs your girlfriend from one building and six doctors from another building, and you have to choose who to save. The first time I was playing "Good" so I took what the game told me was the "good" option and saved the doctors. Girlfriend falls to her death, touching scene where she's like I really like the person you are, etc etc.

The second time I was playing evil, so I opted to save my girlfriend. Except on this playthrough, it wasn't my girlfriend. She was one of the six "doctors" and she falls to her death, touching scene where she tells the main character that he's become a terrible person.

I really really hated that. Not because "there's no way to save her" but the bad guy gets to have his cake and eat it too? He just gets to be God, knowing which choice I'm going to make and putting the girlfriend in the proper place to be the most tragic.

I don't know why that turned me off so much, but it really did. I think that's where I stopped playing.

because instead of it being a difficult moral decision, it becomes clear that this is just the
    fridge scene

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I FUCKING HATE JAMES FRANCO SO MUCH

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Well, the PS2/gamecube/xbox generation sold ~200 million units, and the PS3/360/wii generation sold ~260 million units... 100 million of which were Wiis and sold to a vastly different segment not interested in modern consoles.

If anything the modern console market shrunk last generation.

uhh you mean wiis sold to casuals, not real gamers

919UOwT.png
  • Options

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that in GTAV. I haven't played it, so I'm not gonna say it'd bug me, but I'm kinda hesitant about games that frequently involve switching between characters. In the past it's left me feeling like I've been shortchanged on multiple stories by never getting one as fleshed out as it could have been, as irrational as that is.

The best times I've seen it done is when it's a brief segment of a game.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Spring Breaaaaaaaak
    Spring Break Foreveeeeeeeeeeer

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I don't see how this counters or is relevant to Ludious's assertions at all

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

Last email I sent was on Thursday and asked that they forward it to us at their earliest convienence. No response from them since and after they attempted to bully us into buying by saying they had told the sellers to see a lawyer I just really want to get them out of my life forever. Already spoke with a lawyer myself but the deposit was so little that it's not something I'm incredibly heartbroken over anyway so we'll see how it goes.

speak to a lawyer? for what? until you sign on the dotted line at closing you can back out for any reason. you haven't bought the house yet! i would tell them to get fucked if i were you.

919UOwT.png
  • Options

why

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    It makes me uncomfortable when someone vastly smarter than me supports my argument/assertions. I am pretty content with always being wrong and/or having an unpopular opinion.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The thing I enjoyed the most about going through as the bad guy in Infamous was that you didn't have to worry about accidentally shocking passerbys. I didn't go full on trying to wack them. But it was so nice to be able to just cut loose on the enemies with the big AoE powers and give no fucks.

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I don't see how this counters or is relevant to Ludious's assertions at all

I missed the earlier context.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    for some reason, this is an effective day. i woke up and was immediately compelled to take an adderall and now i'm doing schoolwork, i did my stretches, i used my tongue scraper for the first time (this is a horrifying experience- anyone who thinks they have good oral hygiene, use one of these things. it will blow your mind), and now i am planning on going to the grocery store for yogurt, nuts, whole wheat bread etc

gonna get healthy fuck y'all

• Options

why

there's absolutely no way he's doing post-graduate studies, writing books, starring in big films, and doing art exhibits all at the same time. i'm 100% sure he's a fraud.

also he has a dumb face

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I wasn't a fan of Prototype 2's character development:
    While I enjoyed Infamous better than Prototype, I thought Prototype had a really interesting thing where essentially a virus designed to kill everything has the potential to end up becoming a much better person than the guy he's impersonating. Having him be definitively evil later was ehhhhh.

• Options

It's lazy and it runs the risk of ruining what may have been a beloved character. Which has always seemed foolish to me more from a business standpoint than anything else.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options

why

there's absolutely no way he's doing post-graduate studies, writing books, starring in big films, and doing art exhibits all at the same time. i'm 100% sure he's a fraud.

also he has a dumb face

ohhhh I see what's going on here.

You want the D bad.

This discussion has been closed.